Signature promotion obc

Cruiseskier

My online account shows a $100.00 obc today for a cruise in 2023.  I called Oceania and they said it was a signature promotion.  I was not aware of this credit, when I booked the cruise.  Plus it wasn't from my TA.  Does anyone know about this promotion?

I have had an extra $100. Obc in my account shortly after I booked a 2024 cruise, assumed it was from my ta, but found it odd that it would post over 18 months prior to cruise. Thinking now that it might be the SIGNATURE PROMOTION?

1 hour ago, Cruiseskier said:

My online account shows a $100.00 obc today for a cruise in 2023.  I called Oceania and they said it was a signature promotion.  I was not aware of this credit, when I booked the cruise.  Plus it wasn't from my TA.  Does anyone know about this promotion?

Many TAs belong to consortia (e.g., your misunderstood lack of a capital S in the name of your promotion) that have their own “promotions” deals with Oceania for select itineraries. (I’m aware of three big TA Consortia).  In a sense, your $100 is a probably a perk provided by the “S” consortia to its member TAs for assignment to its customers.

That said, both independent and consortia member TAs also benefit from a “pass through” incentive program from Oceania.

In that case, you’ll find an item on your Oceania invoice in the “amenities” section listed as OCAPP (Oceania Cruises Amenity Partnership Program). In fact, often when a TA says they’ll pay for your gratuities, it’s Oceania’s money (listed as <name of Consortia or independent TA> OCAPP prepaid gratuities $???.00>).

As good a deal as this may be, it bugs me when I read/hear that some occasional TA stretches the truth and tells an O newbie that they (the TA) are providing added perks like tours, drinks, SBC that are actually Oceania’s own perks , e.g. O Club or O Life (the latter for which you’ve already paid).

FWIW: If you are negotiating with a TA to reduce your actual cruise “bottom line” cost, make sure you understand who’s funding what.

An easy test goes back to invoices. Actual “out-of-pocket” perks from a TA will either be listed as a purchased “gift” (not OCAPP pass through incentive) on the O invoice or, in the case of TA issued rebates, listed only on the TA’s own invoice. Note as well, that you will not usually see anything but Oceania provided (non-refundable) SBC in your online O account.

You’ll find verification of TA provided SBC on a card in your cabin on embarkation day. BTW, always have the most up-to-date (post Final Payment) O and TA invoices AND any correspondence from anyone promising you some $ perk (particularly items like book onboard SBC perks you chose to have applied to a future cruise or a $ consideration from O for some prior cruise issue). 

I cannot stress enough the importance of having the most updated O invoice and TA invoice/correspondence specifying what is due to you. I even carry extra paper copies of these items so that, should their be a discrepancy once you embark, you can contact Guest Services onboard and give them a copy of what is due to you.

Finally, there are some TAs who will not provide customers with the O invoices. In that case, it’s very simple: Find a new TA. At the same time, I have occasionally found that some TA invoices don’t always correctly reflect  all that’s on the O invoice. And that may be a problem with larger travel agencies where multiple folks handle the paperwork. If that happens to you, it’s worth mentioning to your actual agent/advisor.

1 hour ago, pmatawan said:

I have had an extra $100. Obc in my account shortly after I booked a 2024 cruise, assumed it was from my ta, but found it odd that it would post over 18 months prior to cruise. Thinking now that it might be the SIGNATURE PROMOTION?

See my answer to OP above.

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I cannot stress enough the importance of having the most updated O invoice and TA invoice/correspondence specifying what is due to you. I even carry extra paper copies of these items so that, should their be a discrepancy once you embark, you can contact Guest Services onboard and give them a copy of what is due to you.

This is VERY important; however, there can still be issues no matter what is stated on that invoice, as we recently experienced at the end of our cruise aboard Regatta.  Somehow, they misinterpreted one of their standard notations on our invoice.  It read "$125 OBC in lieu of Club PPG".  At face value, I understand why they were confused.  The perk was supposed to provide $125 pp OBC because they'd offered included PPG as an incentive for the cruise.  But as Silver Club members, we were already entitled to PPG as part of our Club benefits.  The problem showed up at the end of the cruise on our final statement when their office looked at that notation and decided that somehow my TA was overriding the silver benefits.  So they wanted me to actually PAY the difference between the stated $125 and the actual gratuities ("in lieu of"), thereby negating my silver benefit AND the extra OBC that we were to receive per person.  In my opinion, their interpretation was not logical no matter what the wording on the invoice stated.  How/Why would one's TA override O Club benefits!?  This also required several trips down to Reception and attempts to speak with the Pursor (who seemed to be in charge of this process onboard).  The Pursor would not speak directly with me which compounded the issue, leaving someone at Reception to act as go-between.  In the end, the best "solution" that they'd provide was to match the gratuities with the $125, so that I wouldn't have to pay more.  But we did not receive the $125pp that had been promised.  Their solution  was also illogical to me given that the actual gratuities were not in question.  And they left me with something (a final invoice) that's impossible to explain to anyone -- especially since they showed the lower gratuity amount with a notation that the "guest requested it", as if I'd been unhappy with the service.  The entire incident, though not a significant amount, left me feel VERY annoyed at the conclusion of our vacation.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Many TAs belong to consortia (e.g., your misunderstood lack of a capital S in the name of your promotion) that have their own “promotions” deals with Oceania for select itineraries. (I’m aware of three big TA Consortia).  In a sense, your $100 is a probably a perk provided by the “S” consortia to its member TAs for assignment to its customers.

That said, both independent and consortia member TAs also benefit from a “pass through” incentive program from Oceania.

In that case, you’ll find an item on your Oceania invoice in the “amenities” section listed as OCAPP (Oceania Cruises Amenity Partnership Program). In fact, often when a TA says they’ll pay for your gratuities, it’s Oceania’s money (listed as <name of Consortia or independent TA> OCAPP prepaid gratuities $???.00>).

As good a deal as this may be, it bugs me when I read/hear that some occasional TA stretches the truth and tells an O newbie that they (the TA) are providing added perks like tours, drinks, SBC that are actually Oceania’s own perks , e.g. O Club or O Life (the latter for which you’ve already paid).

FWIW: If you are negotiating with a TA to reduce your actual cruise “bottom line” cost, make sure you understand who’s funding what.

An easy test goes back to invoices. Actual “out-of-pocket” perks from a TA will either be listed as a purchased “gift” (not OCAPP pass through incentive) on the O invoice or, in the case of TA issued rebates, listed only on the TA’s own invoice. Note as well, that you will not usually see anything but Oceania provided (non-refundable) SBC in your online O account.

You’ll find verification of TA provided SBC on a card in your cabin on embarkation day. BTW, always have the most up-to-date (post Final Payment) O and TA invoices AND any correspondence from anyone promising you some $ perk (particularly items like book onboard SBC perks you chose to have applied to a future cruise or a $ consideration from O for some prior cruise issue). 

Finally, there are some TAs who will not provide customers with the O invoices. In that case, it’s very simple: Find a new TA. At the same time, I have occasionally found that some TA invoices don’t always correctly reflect  all that’s on the O invoice. And that may be a problem with larger travel agencies where multiple folks handle the paperwork. If that happens to you, it’s worth mentioning to your actual agent/advisor.

1 hour ago, nursinadream said:

I'm looking for my online account.  How do I find it?  A shore excursion has been dropped from our upcoming cruise.  There should be a credit.

Thanks

Deb

Doesn’t work that way. For O canceled tours pre-Cruise:

First you get an email (direct and/or via your TA) stating the cancelation and that you will receive a “refund.” That’s not exactly accurate.

And, here’s where it gets a bit complicated (after all, it is Oceania 😉):

Multiple “cooks are stirring this soup.” After you receive the cancel email, your online O account for that cruise will show that the cancelled tour(s) are no longer in your list of tours (expandable list) on the tour shopping page. That usually happens immediately including on the O “system” screen any O phone rep can see. However, the refund due to you may not yet have made it to that O “system’s” accounting. Eventually, it will get posted. But, if you have a final cruise payment still due, it may post as a credit toward that final payment rather than a credit to the CC used to buy the tour(s). I’ve got that situation going on for one of my future bookings where the “final payment” box on my account is now check marked due to the credit(s). If your credit can’t be applied to a still due balance, that’s usually when you’ll see a CC credit. 
Further complicating (seemingly but not really) this is how much you are due. If it was an actual purchased tour (not O Life), it’s $ for $ list price or discounted YWYW/passport cost charged. But, if O Life, the now vacated slot in your allowance will be filled by the next most expensive allowable O Life tour and you’ll be refunded what you had paid for it when it wasn’t an O LIfe “freebie.” No more O Life allowables in your list? You can add another one but the Cart system will then always shuffle those tours to assign the most expensive allowable ones to your allotment. If you don’t add another O Life choice tour, your refund would be the base $100 per tour value of O Life tours.

And, next complication: remember that you only receive the 25% YWYW discount on paid tours (>$199 OS/OE) if your total list (paid and O Life) meets the minimum number required on your cruise for the discount.

Final complication and my recommendations:

The “back office system” math/post time factor varies significantly as does the added posting of newly available replacement tours.

Example: I’ve got two adjacent “extended journeys” booked for this autumn. Cruise A has already had the cancelled $ adjusted. But, new port’s replacement tours are not yet listed. Cruise B has new port’s tours listed but the cancelled $ have not yet been adjusted. Making matters somewhat worse is that, while the replacement tours may be in the “system”

seen by O phone reps, they may not yet appear on the web shopping pages for your cruise (new port is there but greyed out).

And that, along with other quirks (like not always being able to book online a day and a night tour for the same day) is why IMO, it’s best to deal direct with O for tours purchases.

(On my upcoming May cruise, I’ve purchased from my trusted O phone rep an NYC tour that’s in the “system” but not on the web shopping page where NYC is still greyed out.

And, even though my TA could handle this, IMO (again), there’s already “too many cooks stirring the soup.” In addition, when it comes to hurrying along refunds, late postings, etc. some of the long-serving O phone reps (both yours and /or your TA’s) have more sway with the other departments involved. (And that’s another reason why I always book onboard direct with the O ambassador or, if not that favorable situation, with my trusted O phone rep and then transfer to a TA within the 30 day transfer window.

BTW: In most cases, I do not use the online purchase function other than to do a mock purchase of my selected tours to see if the Cart’s bottom line jives with my own math. I then call O and book them AND ask to have, in particular, the “Pre-purchased shore excursions” PDF (which shows all the math) sent to me (along with the basic list of my tours schedule - different PDF name like “pre-selected” and the most recent update to the full “Shore Excursion” PDF shopping list (much easier to use in planning than the actual online shopping pages). Also, having the math PDF from original tours purchased and post-cancelled+replaced tours math PDF makes verifying what is due to you so much easier.

More complicated than private tours? Not really for all the obvious reasons. Have your TA  do it? Possibly, but first read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (if you can still find it). We use TAs for cruise purchase perks and “poop hits the fan” problem solving. But, as I’ve mentioned in previous posts, not all TAs (even some O Connoisseurs Club members) fully understand the math of O Life and/or YWYW and/or are willing to question their own O rep’s accounting. And the cost of tours (even after freebies and YWYW adjustments) on longer cruises can be a “chunk of change.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlthom said:

How/Why would one's TA override O Club benefits!? 

Because, if your TA is really sharp and does understand O policies and practices (and appreciates YOUR knowledge of O), that TA will use their (or their TA consortium’s) available OCAPP pass though funds (I.e., O’s $ provided to TAs) to cover the gratuities AND make sure that the O invoice then also states the “in lieu” $125 per person for your O Club “silver” (or above) perk (assuming you both have that status). Bottom line: you get an extra $250 in SBC.

In all fairness though, I’ve more than once had to explain to an O Connoisseurs Club TA how this works AND know that TAs (whether or not they’re knowledgeable) have had to explain it to whoever they’re talking to at O in Miami.

In fact, I recently went through this with a future booking that had OCAPP funding from two sources for multi-segment gratuities and missing O Club O Club “in lieu” SBC for our platinum status. Fortunately, my O savvy TA understood the issue and had it corrected.

THAT is why it’s so important to always get original and updated O invoices and pre-purchase PDF docs to doublecheck that  pricing, adjustments, perks are all exactly correct before you board that ship.

1 hour ago, Cruiseskier said:

I looked at my O invoice and the only perk listed was the 3 shore excursions which was part of our o life perk choice.  No mention of this $100 obc.

Sound like the “S” $100 may be an add-on from your TA’s consortium (that is not OCAPP). In that case, it should be listed on your TA’s invoice or in an email communication that clarifies its existence. Of course, there’s also the possible SNAFU that it is from “S’s” OCAPP $ and just didn’t make it onto the O Invoice. In either case, you want that $100 in writing (particularly since you may need it to buy me a cocktail 😎).

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

First you get an email (direct and/or via your TA) stating the cancelation and that you will receive a “refund.” That’s not exactly accurate.

And, here’s where it gets a bit complicated (after all, it is Oceania 😉😞

Whoa.  Gonna have to read your detailed post a few times to grasp this topic.  But simply put I was not informed about the cancellation of excursion.  It's no longer showing on my "booked cruise" page.  I was reviewing and planning our Alaska stops looking for some free time to wander on our own.  There I discovered our Ketchikan excursion missing.  I have a private trip in mind to fill the day.  But its the accounting I want to look at.  I checked with my TA a few days ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

Whoa.  Gonna have to read your detailed post a few times to grasp this topic.  But simply put I was not informed about the cancellation of excursion.  It's no longer showing on my "booked cruise" page.  I was reviewing and planning our Alaska stops looking for some free time to wander on our own.  There I discovered our Ketchikan excursion missing.  I have a private trip in mind to fill the day.  But its the accounting I want to look at.  I checked with my TA a few days ago.

When you talk to the TA ask if they received the cancel notice and just didn’t forward it OR, if not, to check with O about why? Often it’s sent to both you and TA.

May just go to show you about how a tour cancel affects many arenas. Let us know what you find out.

BTW, my earlier posted details of my understanding of the complexities came at a cost of various occurrences over the years- particularly during this Covid era.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

@Flatbush FlyerA simple question - can I view my account online as a few others suggested early in this thread? ie @Cruiseskier.  I am past FP - and don't have that invoice yet from my TA. I'm for sure gonna look for the credit she said she got for each for us as a bonus or bennie from O.  

Deb

If you register your various cruises (sign into O web account or create an account on “sign in” page) - enter requested details for the cruise, you’ll be able to see tours et al. to buy, specialty restAurant info and/or list of purchases, amount/source of O Club SBC, list of past cruises and ID info you’ve supplied under O Club, etc. It doesn’t list everything like math involved in purchase computations, O Life info other than SBC, etc.

Think of it as basic info. It doesn’t provide the details of everything associated with your bookings.

Also, stay on your TA about always passing on to you everything they receive regarding your cruise including attachments, invoices. The only thing they most often withhold is their version of your invoice which adds commission info.

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Think of it as basic info. It doesn’t provide the details of everything associated with your bookings.

Right, got that, thanks.  You're right, there's no math or financial details there.  Thanks for all your responses today.

First time O cruiser and have 3 on the books at the moment.  Enticed by the big announcements and posts re 2024 cruises and those "real popular" cruises.  Not sure I'm ready to book a 4th without one under our belt (Alaska June 27, 2022).

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

THAT is why it’s so important to always get original and updated O invoices and pre-purchase PDF docs to doublecheck that  pricing, adjustments, perks are all exactly correct before you board that ship.

Except in my example, I had all of those documents and they did not sway those who were "in charge".  They just eliminated the $250 that we were due and explained it away in a fashion that was not logical.  It seems like there ought to be a better way of handling this type of situation that is not so convoluted.  

34 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Except in my example, I had all of those documents and they did not sway those who were "in charge".  They just eliminated the $250 that we were due and explained it away in a fashion that was not logical.  It seems like there ought to be a better way of handling this type of situation that is not so convoluted.  

Gotta love the illogical “don’t bother me.”

Anyway, you could try writing to the Oceania Club folks (call O for that email address if you don’t have it) and ask for the missing SBC as a future cruise SBC.

FWIW: My new “favorite” gotcha (not from O specifically) is: “We’ve suspended phone support for customer service due to Covid. Please use the chat service.”

My response (once I’ve turned to the chat route) is: “I didn’t know that Covid is communicable via phone conversation.”

BTW: want to talk to a real person for support from (fill in the blank)? Pick the sales option when you call and explain that you’ll base your purchase on the answer to a feature question that will require talking to an actual tech person. Works well often enough to warrant trying it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

Right, got that, thanks.  You're right, there's no math or financial details there.  Thanks for all your responses today.

First time O cruiser and have 3 on the books at the moment.  Enticed by the big announcements and posts re 2024 cruises and those "real popular" cruises.  Not sure I'm ready to book a 4th without one under our belt (Alaska June 27, 2022).

FWIW: Oceania is a very different cruise line- pretty much the first true “premium” line- offering the same experience as a luxury line though with an inclusiveness “menu” replacing the lux line’s all-inclusiveness and doing so at a value laden price.

For example, look at comparable Regent and O itineraries at similar dates and with similar cabin levels. Add to O’s fare what options are in their “menu” necessary to equate Regent’s inclusive offerings.

Every time I’ve  done this apples to apples comparison for a veranda cabin on a multi-segment cruise of at least 3-4 weeks, the Regent bottom line is $ thousands more than O. 
IMO, beyond excellent food, service, often unique itineraries on small ships et al., what you’ll find in O is a passenger demographic comprised of accomplished and well traveled decorous folks who have worked hard for their money. 

• Like 1

A general word of warning on the YWC shore excursion package.  We purchased it and one of the excursions was canceled 2 days before the scheduled date. The shore excursion desk initially told us we wouldn't be getting a refund because it was part of this package.  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense because you're purchasing each excursion separately at a 25% discount. Even with this canceled cruise, we still had the minimum of 4 that's required for the package. We questioned their stance on no-refund so they did end up giving it to us in the end.

I agree that the purchase of shore excursions on O can sometimes be a little confusing.  

Just booked the five free excursions. Fairly straightforward and easier than Princess. 

if my travel agent later gives me some onboard credit will  I be able to view it on my account once on the ship? Dies the Tv in the room let you access your onboard account?

6 hours ago, vlthom said:

This is VERY important; however, there can still be issues no matter what is stated on that invoice, as we recently experienced at the end of our cruise aboard Regatta.  Somehow, they misinterpreted one of their standard notations on our invoice.  It read "$125 OBC in lieu of Club PPG".  At face value, I understand why they were confused.  The perk was supposed to provide $125 pp OBC because they'd offered included PPG as an incentive for the cruise.  But as Silver Club members, we were already entitled to PPG as part of our Club benefits. 

Several years ago about 9 or 10  they stopped the double dipping perks

If you got PPG from your TA Via Oceania  you would only get $250-$350 OBC for the O club benefit (or vice  versa) if you had reached the Silver club status on the magic date in 2013 (?)  you were grandfathered & would get the full PPG value from each source 

Sounds like you were caught in that loop

Paulchilli was one that was grandfathered  & I am sure there are a few others still around that might comment if this is still the case

I am sure  some of the rules are so confusing  even staff have a problem keeping up

Over the years  there have been lots of changes with the O club as well as other  rules

JMO

• Like 1