Wheelchair bound on an empty ship, what to do?

Buckimion

Due to high port traffic, it appears I'm going to be left on the Carnival Miracle as we have to tender in Juneau and Ketchikan Alaska and my power chair can't be accommodated and paying $250 for a manual rental is just silly. Unfortunately, judging by past activity schedules, it doesn't seem like there's anything going on in these ports during the daytime except for aerobics classes, which is absolutely hilarious to someone in a wheelchair. I've stayed on board in other ports where at least there was daytime trivia to keep me occupied, but what else is there to do when there's nothing scheduled?

Have you seen any recent Fun Times newsletters for the Miracle?   

On this thread from October, on page 8 is a posting of the Fun Times for a port day.  This is not for an Alaska itinerary but it might be close as far as what's going on during the day.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2811649-another-california-adventure-–-baja-mexico-mexican-riviera-aboard-the-miracle-panorama-with-pics-–-october-2021/page/8/

And depending when your cruise is, when the Miracle starts sailing in Alaska this year, you could post a question to anyone who is on board (or recently on board in Alaska) if they could post a Fun Times for a port day.    

7 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Did you check rental at Scootaround? I checked a random week and irr seemed to be quite a bit less- about $120.

They were even higher than Special Needs at Sea. It is a 10 day cruise.

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Have you seen any recent Fun Times newsletters for the Miracle?   

As I said, I've seen programs in other ports, but there's nothing during the Alaska trip. (I don't think even the most jaded cruiser would voluntarily stay behind during an Alaska trip.) I'm going to keep my eye out for trip reports on the two or three cruises that head out before us on June 10th (see my signature), but I really don't anticipate any changes from past trips.

On 4/29/2022 at 8:45 AM, FOPMan said:

Did you check rental at Scootaround? I checked a random week and irr seemed to be quite a bit less- about $120.

Stores such as Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. carry lightweight transport wheelchairs (we got ours at CVS).  Purchasing one might be a better option than renting one since it will be yours to keep.  You will need someone to push you though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Stores such as Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. carry lightweight transport wheelchairs (we got ours at CVS).  Purchasing one might be a better option than renting one since it will be yours to keep.  You will need someone to push you though.

I already own a manual chair or three, but my wife doesn't want to put up with the hassle of dealing with that as well as the luggage and everything else, and I'm not interested in manually pushing myself around for two weeks. (I used a manual chair on a 5-day on the old Triumph out of New Orleans and we both absolutely hated it.)

15 hours ago, Buckimion said:

I already own a manual chair or three, but my wife doesn't want to put up with the hassle of dealing with that as well as the luggage and everything else, and I'm not interested in manually pushing myself around for two weeks. (I used a manual chair on a 5-day on the old Triumph out of New Orleans and we both absolutely hated it.)

Have you considered renting a scooter?

44 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Have you considered renting a scooter?

This thread seems to have lost its focus.  The OP has a power chair and can’t go ashore if the port is tendered.  He would have the same problem with a scooter and the tender.  Renting a wheelchair is too expensive, and bringing one from home along with the power chair is too much trouble.  I think he knows what he has to do, just has to work it out for himself.  EM

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

This thread seems to have lost its focus.  The OP has a power chair and can’t go ashore if the port is tendered.  He would have the same problem with a scooter and the tender.  Renting a wheelchair is too expensive, and bringing one from home along with the power chair is too much trouble.  I think he knows what he has to do, just has to work it out for himself.  EM

Thanks. The question was can anybody think of something I'm missing when there's no activities scheduled, the pool is out, and getting sloshed on a motorized vehicle of any sort is never a good idea. 🤣

Right now I may have to content myself with getting as many photographs/video of a nearly empty ship as I can.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckimion said:

Thanks. The question was can anybody think of something I'm missing when there's no activities scheduled, the pool is out, and getting sloshed on a motorized vehicle of any sort is never a good idea. 

Why don't you direct your frustrations to whatever the cruise line's special needs department is called?  Ask them what they are going to do for those who cannot get ashore?   Squeaky wheel and all that.  Have a list of activities they might offer.  Probably won't work, but worth a shot and just maybe someone will have some ideas.

• Like 3

Husband has used a mobility scooter since the early 2000's and we have never been denied a tender port. I understand that if the sea is extremely rough it can always happen. And one time we did have to ask for a supervisor when the dock hands were reluctant. We do have an advantage though- he can walk short distances with a cane. So they help him board the tender and then load the scooter. 

Sorry to say this, but paying "extra" for my wife to "enjoy" a trip, because she is disabled is a small price to pay, and the issues of "lugging" a manual chair, is also just something I will do if needed. 

The only thing I see in this post is that a person does not want to adapt, or pay extra for special enjoyment.  

There is nothing anyone can suggest that the poster already knows, this is just the person venting at items that can't be controlled

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping in - my husband uses a power chair full time because of MS. When we have cruised in the past, we have taken a manual chair as well, since this allowed us to go into ports, take cabs (he could transfer) etc. I LOVED having the manual chair. It was basically a luggage cart I was allowed to keep all the way to the gate, in line at port, etc.

Rather than considering a separate manual chair an inconvenience, you may find it is a Godsend. 

My husband can no longer transfer, so we will not be taking the manual chair on our upcoming cruises, and I will miss it!

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, GRBlizz said:

Jumping in - my husband uses a power chair full time because of MS. When we have cruised in the past, we have taken a manual chair as well, since this allowed us to go into ports, take cabs (he could transfer) etc. I LOVED having the manual chair. It was basically a luggage cart I was allowed to keep all the way to the gate, in line at port, etc.

Rather than considering a separate manual chair an inconvenience, you may find it is a Godsend. 

My husband can no longer transfer, so we will not be taking the manual chair on our upcoming cruises, and I will miss it!

We've considered bringing a 2nd device in case something were to happen to the 1st, so I can see benefits of doing this.  And I intended to do the same thing, especially during embarkation when I'm unable to carry luggage and cart the chair; Dad will be using the chair the terminal provides, it's too much for me to wheel him myself that kind of distance.

As to the OP's issue, cruise lines seem stuck in this port/shore excursion mindset and are unaware people like me exist, that is if it weren't for my Dad, I'd never leave the ship on most itineraries, I cruise for the experience of being at sea, not land.  And I favor the Alaska itineraries because I'm 20 minutes from the port.  You might have to just curl up in bed with a good book.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Buckimion , for cross-country flights, I often pack small wooden jigsaw puzzles to amuse myself. Because wood is sturdier than paper, the pieces can be quite petite so the overall size fits with room to spare on an airplane tray table. Because wood is heavier than paper, this type of puzzle could be worked on a breezy ship's deck with little chance of a piece blowing away. Doing puzzles in public venues often attracts like-minded people passing by to stop and join in.

Artifact ( www.artifactpuzzles.com ) and Liberty Puzzles ( www.libertypuzzles.com ) are my favorite American made brands that don't cost a fortune like the Stave puzzles ( www.stavepuzzles.com ) favored by former first families. Even the more affordable machine-cut ones I buy do run more $$$ than mainstream cardboard puzzles, however. Amazon has a wide selection of alternate brands at lower prices, probably imported.

I may also pack a small hand sewing project for my August cruise as a hedge against being bored in quarantine if COVID strikes. Knitting is similarly distracting and easy to tuck into a suitcase, though my husband is much better at that hobby than I am.

I know a few people who find coloring books geared toward an adult audience to be a meditative way to pass the time. Amazon sells some with Alaska or ocean themes to fit your cruise.

The word tile game Syzygy (now called Bananagrams, I think) can be fun as a solitaire or multi-player table game and packs in about the same amount of space as a pair of socks. Shape/color matching card game Set works for solitaire/group play, too.

I hope that you find your cruise actually offers more port-day diversions than currently advertised and that you fully enjoy every day you are aboard. Perhaps shooting a video to post online showing how the cruise line does--or does not!--accommodate everyone could shame them into more accessible offerings... or warn off future cruisers with physical limitations who would enjoy another ship/line more!?

--willo

• 4 weeks later...

When I’m unable to get off the ship, I usually read, play sudoku, or watch a movie I have downloaded from Netflix just prior to the cruise.  It’s also a good time to catch up on some much needed rest - take a nap.  I have always told people that I cruise with, that I don’t want anyone feeling guilty or staying back to keep me company, otherwise I would never cruise with them again.  You could also have a glass of wine with cheese and fresh fruit taken from the buffet back to your room while watching a movie or people-watch on the balcony if you have a balcony stateroom.  Enjoy your time alone doing what you like doing.

Have you thought of selling your scooter and purchasing a foldable, lightweight, electric wheelchair?  We’re selling my scooter and purchasing the Falcon reclining electric wheelchair, in order to take it on airplanes and cruises.  This will also provide more opportunities to get off the ship in ports and to take city tours, etc.

I find port days where I stay on the ship quite enjoyable.  I always carry a bunch of books loaded in the Kindle app on my tablet and if I can find a shady spot on the promenade or the Melanoma Deck (the over-amplified Caribbean bands take the day off on port days) with a frozen coffee drink or maybe a wee dram, I'm good.

Any questions?  See my signature line below.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...