Question for those who have been to Bordeux

oskidunker

I am looking at two tours, both which include a four course dinner. Tours BOD 011 $399.00 pp and BOD 13  $509.00 pp. If anyone has taken one of these advice would be appreciated. I would like to eat dinner in Bordeux, just not sure the prices would justify what I would get. as an Alternative a classic french restaurant recomendation is appreciated.Cruise is Oct 1, 17 day,

Thanks

25 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I am looking at two tours, both which include a four course dinner. Tours BOD 011 $399.00 pp and BOD 13  $509.00 pp. If anyone has taken one of these advice would be appreciated. I would like to eat dinner in Bordeux, just not sure the prices would justify what I would get. as an Alternative a classic french restaurant recomendation is appreciated.Cruise is Oct 1, 17 day,

Thanks

I can’t tell you anything about these tours, but for the price you mentioned one can dine for a week in some of the nicest restaurants in Bordeaux. I don’t remember the name of the restaurant that we visited in Bordeaux on our land trip, but we had delicious food and vine, and the price was much more reasonable. A little research will get you great results.

Our Sirena cruise was docked in the city of Bordeaux for a bit longer than we expected.  The pilot required for docking in the Garonne hit a large buoy and we had to wait for a new propeller. The town is very walkable and we dined at a couple lovely restaurants...but certainly not that costly.  This was a few years ago (wasn't everything?) so don't remember the specifics.

Our forthcoming cruise has an overnight in Bordeaux. We plan to have dinner ashore. I've been researching mid-range bistro/brasserie restaurants in the central area.  Prices are generally reasonable -  menus suggesting we'd be getting three courses for around €55 - the sort of money I'd expect to pay at home at that sort of level of dining.

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Our forthcoming cruise has an overnight in Bordeaux. We plan to have dinner ashore. I've been researching mid-range bistro/brasserie restaurants in the central area.  Prices are generally reasonable -  menus suggesting we'd be getting three courses for around €55 - the sort of money I'd expect to pay at home at that sort of level of dining.

Let me know which restaurant you decide on. We are on the same cruise, I think. 

We've whittled down to a very short shortlist of possibles, all of which seem to be fine:

Brasserie L'Orleans

La Tupina

Le Bistro de la Musee

We wanted somewhere that was going to feel properly French by way of the menu (even if a bit touristy). It's too long since we've been in the country - our usual trips are to northern France, in particular the Nord and Pas de Calais regions, but never as far south as the Bordeaux area.

FWIW, we're on Sirena's cruise in June.

Edited by Harters

I can't see the tours, but as a general comment I would start by looking at whether or not the dinner is at a winery and consider whether there is wine matching with each course and if so, what level of wine is being served.  The food cost is often the smallest part of the meal if it is being matched with expensive wine.  Also if the dinner is wine matched, will there be explanations with each course?  This would all contribute to the cost and the value of the excursion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yayoye said:

I can't see the tours, but as a general comment I would start by looking at whether or not the dinner is at a winery and consider whether there is wine matching with each course and if so, what level of wine is being served.  The food cost is often the smallest part of the meal if it is being matched with expensive wine.  Also if the dinner is wine matched, will there be explanations with each course?  This would all contribute to the cost and the value of the excursion.

The dinners are at the family chateau   Wine is provided but they do not say what . Im afraid too expensive   I was in Nice 20 years ago and had a great fish lunch smothered in cream sauce   I doubt they cook that way anymore Maybe if it was Chateau Margaux I would do it  .No Bernaise or Hollandaise sauce .  

Here is the tour description for $509. 

Experience the château life, cuisine and fine wines during an exclusive visit to a French family-owned 18th-century château and its surrounding vineyards. Depart from the pier and enjoy the approximately 30-minute journey to the Médoc vineyards located north of Bordeaux. Here you will find Château du Taillan, a château and wine estate that the Cruse family has owned and lived in for centuries. After a visit of the cellars, enjoy a wine aperitif on the terrace overlooking the vineyards. Then, share a four-course dinner with the Cruses, who will entertain you with their family story, all the while explaining the production of the various wines served with the dinner. Afterwards, you will return to the pier in Bordeaux. Please note: It is recommended that guests dress in casual elegant clothing and wear flat, comfortable shoes. No Bermuda shorts, sportswear, sport shoes or high heels should be worn. The tour is not available to wheelchair guests and those with mobility concerns are cautioned to carefully evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability. There is gravel in the courtyard and some steps at the Chateau. If cancellation of this tour is made within 30 days of arrival in the excursion port, there will be a 100% cancellation fee charged to the guest’s shipboard account. This excursion must be reserved in advance.

Here is another one less expensive. Tour doesn't start until 6:45 pm. Doubt you would eat until  8 pm. $325.00 pp

An exclusive meal in the reception room of Chateau Kirwan estate, famous Classified Great Growth chateau located in the heart of the wine region of Medoc awaits. Begin with a scenic drive to Chateau Kirwan, located in the heart of the Medoc wine region. Prepare to feast on an enchanted meal at Chateau Kirwan, an 18th-century Chateau, where history and wine combine to tease the curiosity of the guests. Enjoy a guided visit of the cellars, followed by a wine aperitif, where the surroundings enhance the fine delicacy. Dinner is served in the main reception room of the Chateau Estate, paired with selected wines to match the food. Please note: It is recommended that guests dress in casual elegant clothing and wear flat, comfortable shoes. No Bermuda shorts, sportswear, sport shoes or high heels should be worn. The tour is not available to wheelchair guests and those with mobility concerns are cautioned to carefully evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability. There is approximately 1-hour of walking/standing during the visit to the cellars and aperitif, with some uneven ground and gravel. If cancellation of this tour is made within 30 days of arrival in the excursion port, there will be a 100% cancellation fee charged to the guest's shipboard account

Edited by oskidunker

9 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

An exclusive meal in the reception room of Chateau Kirwan estate, famous Classified Great Growth chateau located in the heart of the wine region of Medoc awaits.

Interesting. The Viking river cruise I have booked for 2023 includes the Chateau Kirwan dinner tour at no additional cost. I've read very good reviews of it from Viking customers but I'd not have guessed it was that expensive...

22 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Here is the tour description for $509. 

Experience the château life, cuisine and fine wines during an exclusive visit to a French family-owned 18th-century château and its surrounding vineyards. Depart from the pier and enjoy the approximately 30-minute journey to the Médoc vineyards located north of Bordeaux. Here you will find Château du Taillan,

You could get a few people  & do your own tour  for less

https://www.chateaudutaillan.com/en/visits-and-tastings/