Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

14 minutes ago, STLCRUISIN said:

We were recently stranded in Amsterdam due to me testing positive the day before our flight home. I contacted QuickMDdotcom (was recommended by our Rivercruise line) to arrange for a Certificate of Recovery letter. I did not have to provide my passport number and I received the letter via email within 12 hours of speaking to a doctor (doctor was located in California).

Thanks for the info.  Just added it to my travel Evernote file so I'll have quick access to it should the need arise when overseas.  Today, I'm researching  quite a few quick-access contingency options.  Gotta "be prepared."

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

A great reminder about medicines, as well!  DH and I always travel with an extra days worth of medication in case of flight delay when in the U.S. area. 

Interesting note from UK Cruise companies and in particular Cunard and P&O who have been sailing through the European winter season that their packing lists were altered last September to advide you to carry a minimum14 days extra of prescribed medication and ideally one month's supply.  They have had considerable experience with passengers being disembarked into quarantine throughout the winter season.  It is surprising that this recommendation hasn't found it's way to Celebrity and RCI now the shipshave arrived in Europe for the summer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bananavan said:

So easily stated from the comfort of one's own abode. 
Tell me how things will work out for you when rules  change part way through your next journey. 
This Transatlantic season has been unlike any others. 
This is true for every curiseline that left the USA to go to Europe this year. 
May 1 was a real eye opener as to the way that Celebrity handled things. 
I was told repeatedly that there were conference calls going on between Head office and our ship as we cruised across. And given the time difference that is problematic. 
And if you had  inside knowledge of what Italy planned to do after may 1st then you were certainly very quiet about it. 
I would like to believe that MY INFORMATION was helpful in preventing a bad situation for others. 
Your comments simply prove that you are probably avoided at parties. And that was before social distancing. 
Thank you for your input. 

I can tell you I wasn’t pointing you out in particular but you seemed to have taken my original comments very personally.  They were intended to help people make some wise and thoughtful decisions.  And yes, I agree, you’re terrible experiences have probably helped a lot of people prevent a bad situation, as well.  Maybe you would even reconsider cruising overseas again during an outbreak of CoVid.  This is not at all different from what I suggested.   
I’ve been on 10 cruises since the restart and have several more on the books for the upcoming months.  I chose all these sailings with a backup plan to get home easily without risking the health of others.  Again, before anyone takes that comment personally, it is not directed at anyone else.  
No worries for me about being unpopular at parties.  I don’t really live my life based on the approval of others … never have or never will.  Cruise on!  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, STLCRUISIN said:

We were recently stranded in Amsterdam due to me testing positive the day before our flight home. I contacted QuickMDdotcom (was recommended by our Rivercruise line) to arrange for a Certificate of Recovery letter. I did not have to provide my passport number and I received the letter via email within 12 hours of speaking to a doctor (doctor was located in California).

Where did you quarantine in Amsterdam? Do you have anyplace to recommend? Was it easy to get food delivered or get take-out food? Thank you. 

The problem with carry 14 - 30 days of extra medicine is getting it approved with insurance.  My pharmacy used to be good about giving us an extra supply when we needed a refill, but now under new ownership and it is strictly enforced to give refills only 3 days before the 1 or 3 month RX supply runs out.  This is the BCBS policy.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

The problem with carry 14 - 30 days of extra medicine is getting it approved with insurance.  My pharmacy used to be good about giving us an extra supply when we needed a refill, but now under new ownership and it is strictly enforced to give refills only 3 days before the 1 or 3 month RX supply runs out.  This is the BCBS policy.  

Call BCBS or your pharmacy and ask for an acceptation and why, you might be surprised.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

So, you are not allowed more for vacation or save some extra?  It is a pain to bring so many different meds, but the alternative isn't good at all!  Good luck!

29 minutes ago, Oville said:

Call BCBS or your pharmacy and ask for an acceptation and why, you might be surprised.

Oops, sorry for the typo.  Also maybe your docs can write a longer prescription.

When we finally get home I will have two extra weeks of medication anyway.

Our Quarantine merely ate into our already planned 5 week trip.

I had the additional meds already planned for as we were on the last ship to return to the USA in 2020.

What I do not have is my “Miss February” set of 28 days of underwear.

Because this is an all inclusive cruise ship I did not remember to bring my snack supplies in the unlikely event that I would fall into the 1.3% cohort in isolation. 

I do have a really good hair straightener though and if I might get access to some aluminum foil, I can squirrel away some white bread and a cheese plate so that I have a grilled cheese sandwich during Room Service shutdown today. It is yet another embarkation day here in Civitavecchia.

I do wish that I had brought some urine test strips. I just checked my Spanish Hospital notes from Palma De Mallorca and it appears that my fluids are acidic enough to be of concern. This is new so my Medical travel bag will have to get bigger.

I was also thinking that sometimes when I have to walk on cobblestones my feet get sore.

I will add a foot bath  to my luggage next time.

I am sure there are many things that I have forgotten.

Please don’t hesitate to add suggestions.

After all, I left the USA woefully unprepared.

Now you understand my late mother’s disappointment in me. 

Edited by bananavan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, bananavan said:

So easily stated from the comfort of one's own abode. 
Tell me how things will work out for you when rules  change part way through your next journey. 
This Transatlantic season has been unlike any others. 
This is true for every curiseline that left the USA to go to Europe this year. 
May 1 was a real eye opener as to the way that Celebrity handled things. 
I was told repeatedly that there were conference calls going on between Head office and our ship as we cruised across. And given the time difference that is problematic. 
And if you had  inside knowledge of what Italy planned to do after may 1st then you were certainly very quiet about it. 
I would like to believe that MY INFORMATION was helpful in preventing a bad situation for others. 
Your comments simply prove that you are probably avoided at parties. And that was before social distancing. 
Thank you for your input. 

I completely agree with you.  Much of the world has had covid and is now unmasked and testing but living with some risk. Post-omicron, we all know it spreads quickly and is everywhere.  Personally I am shocked that you are being held captive and were put in a room without fresh air for so long. This is not a rational expectation anyone would have and sticking it in the fine print is not sufficient disclosure  “you’ll either have a luxurious vacation or be forcibly moved to a cabin without air and treated poorly” (yes, inside quarantine is that bad for many, and your husband’s food situation only improved because you found people to intervene—no guarantee anyone else will be so fortunate, if we can call your treatment that). 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bananavan said:

I can appreciate your commentary. 
Obviously you are not presently caught up in this situation yourself and you should be grateful that you are not. 

We assumed the risk of travel. 
We are simply stating the reality that is not found elsewhere. 

The commentary from @bananavan has been very valuable to me and hopefully to others as well in considering what to do for planning our Europe-based cruises this summer.  Thank you!

• Like 9

HOME TESTS. Do not officially test unless absolutely must. Remain in control. I was on Edge TA, we tested throughout privately. The quarantines required for positives officially obtained are far too extreme for this mild variant. It’s the only way to enjoy your vacation in peace. Hopefully soon all these extreme protocols will be eliminated. Poor Banana had to deal with her situation. Not sure how many others were in quarantine, but my guess is nearly half the ship was infected or would be infected by the end. Most were privately testing and cruise ship will never know. Everyone was vaccinated, more immunity will build up, the only negative is dealing  with symptoms like a common cold (for most) 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, renji said:

I completely agree with you.  Much of the world has had covid and is now unmasked and testing but living with some risk. Post-omicron, we all know it spreads quickly and is everywhere.  Personally I am shocked that you are being held captive and were put in a room without fresh air for so long. This is not a rational expectation anyone would have and sticking it in the fine print is not sufficient disclosure  “you’ll either have a luxurious vacation or be forcibly moved to a cabin without air and treated poorly” (yes, inside quarantine is that bad for many, and your husband’s food situation only improved because you found people to intervene—no guarantee anyone else will be so fortunate, if we can call your treatment that). 

Just to clarify. We have fresh air as a result of being in an Infinite balcony. The top window can be pulled down in order to allow for fresh air. My husband was not as lucky when he was first moved to his last cabin. It was only when I went to the Customer Relations desk and asked why he could not be moved that things changed. 
I will admit, I did lose it this morning. I became almost inconsolable at the thought of possibly testing positive tomorrow. I was not upset for me as much as I was that my husband has chosen to stay with me. 
We cannot leave the confines of this stateroom.  
I want him to be able to continue his post surgery recovery but that is not going to happen. 
And because today is Embarkation day, there is no Room Service and the Quaranteeners are fairly well forgotten. I had to wait n hold for Customer Relations to answer in order to have the Internet restored. 
I am sure that they were bombarded by so many Entitled Guests who want something for nothing. 
The high stress level on  Embarkation day is truly remarkable. 
IF anyone is listening: 
If we are to be all on the same deck why can there not be a Covid Concierge within phone call distance? 
This is a lonely place. There is no dedicated phone number for either Covid information, fresh towels or room service. 
If they would allow me access to a hallway, I could totally revamp this system in less than 15 minutes. (I dont need the hallway I just want a change of scenery. ) 
My organizational skills are those of a former old-fashioned housewife. You try getting one to baseball, the other to Clarinet lessons and your husband's suit to the cleaners all before the Stock Market closes. 🙂

• Like 11

In my 30 plus years cruising a lot with the Royal Caribbean Group one thing I have learned is Miami controls everything.  There is very little independent thought and actions shipside permitted.  If it isn't in the policy and procedures outlined by the corporate model it will not happen without the overlords in Miami giving permission.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bananavan said:

When we finally get home I will have two extra weeks of medication anyway.

Our Quarantine merely ate into our already planned 5 week trip.

I had the additional meds already planned for as we were on the last ship to return to the USA in 2020.

What I do not have is my “Miss February” set of 28 days of underwear.

Because this is an all inclusive cruise ship I did not remember to bring my snack supplies in the unlikely event that I would fall into the 1.3% cohort in isolation. 

I do have a really good hair straightener though and if I might get access to some aluminum foil, I can squirrel away some white bread and a cheese plate so that I have a grilled cheese sandwich during Room Service shutdown today. It is yet another embarkation day here in Civitavecchia.

I do wish that I had brought some urine test strips. I just checked my Spanish Hospital notes from Palma De Mallorca and it appears that my fluids are acidic enough to be of concern. This is new so my Medical travel bag will have to get bigger.

I was also thinking that sometimes when I have to walk on cobblestones my feet get sore.

I will add a foot bath  to my luggage next time.

I am sure there are many things that I have forgotten.

Please don’t hesitate to add suggestions.

After all, I left the USA woefully unprepared.

Now you understand my late mother’s disappointment in me. 

Is your husband allowed to leave the ship?  maybe he can go to a drug store and get the things you need, I don't mean the undies, but the urine test strips.  Really rooting for you and wishing this ends soon.  BTW, many of the positive reports come from Retreat guests, I'm thinking the overcrowding there has something to do with this. We were on the Edge back in April 10 and I also turned positive three days after departing the ship.  I wore good masks everywhere and only took them off in Luminae and the Retreat pool.  The last two days of the cruise Luminae was packed, I'm sure that's where I got it.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, drarill said:

Is your husband allowed to leave the ship?  maybe he can go to a drug store and get the things you need, I don't mean the undies, but the urine test strips.  Really rooting for you and wishing this ends soon.  BTW, many of the positive reports come from Retreat guests, I'm thinking the overcrowding there has something to do with this. We were on the Edge back in April 10 and I also turned positive three days after departing the ship.  I wore good masks everywhere and only took them off in Luminae and the Retreat pool.  The last two days of the cruise Luminae was packed, I'm sure that's where I got it.  

I am convinced of that. 
My husband has chosen to remain with me in Isolation until I test Negative .
That means he does not get to leave the cabin either. 
I completely understand the desire on the part of the Revenue department to maximize the money that they can get from each sailing but it comes at the price of the passengers who paid the original price and are not getting the service that they anticipated. 
I am still convinced that the Retreat area inPort Everglades is the area that the is the incubation location. 
I understand that there are those who think that the airplane passengers are bringing it on, but many of us drove or were driven. 
Thank you so much for your kind words. 

2 hours ago, donna1009 said:

HOME TESTS. Do not officially test unless absolutely must. Remain in control. I was on Edge TA, we tested throughout privately. The quarantines required for positives officially obtained are far too extreme for this mild variant. It’s the only way to enjoy your vacation in peace. Hopefully soon all these extreme protocols will be eliminated. Poor Banana had to deal with her situation. Not sure how many others were in quarantine, but my guess is nearly half the ship was infected or would be infected by the end. Most were privately testing and cruise ship will never know. Everyone was vaccinated, more immunity will build up, the only negative is dealing  with symptoms like a common cold (for most) 

No problem with people testing privately, but I do have a problem with positives spreading the virus, making their own protocols.  It doesn't matter if you are vaccinated or already had the virus, it is wrong and irresponsible. Yesterday the Eclipse and the Apex passengers were ordered to use masks again.  After a common cold people don't have an elevated risk of a DVT, stroke, heart attack  or PE, and I'm not going to start talking about Long COVID. This is not a common cold. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, bananavan said:

If we are to be all on the same deck why can there not be a Covid Concierge within phone call distance? 
This is a lonely place. There is no dedicated phone number for either Covid information, fresh towels or room service. 

I am so sorry about what you and your husband are going through.

It's very clear from your posts and those of others on other ships who have tested positive and been put into isolation that each ship needs a dedicated staff member to be the contact for those in isolation.  Too many reports of Guest Services not answering their phone, no way to get room service timely,  etc.  Guests in isolation need a direct dial phone number to a dedicated staffer to deal with whatever issues they may have, period.

Sending all good thoughts for you both

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Searanger said:

In my 30 plus years cruising a lot with the Royal Caribbean Group one thing I have learned is Miami controls everything.  There is very little independent thought and actions shipside permitted.  If it isn't in the policy and procedures outlined by the corporate model it will not happen without the overlords in Miami giving permission.  

I agree with this 100%. And if you ask Miami a question they would rather not answer, they'll say it depends on the Captain's discretion. Therein lies your black hole of information.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bananavan said:

Just to clarify. We have fresh air as a result of being in an Infinite balcony. The top window can be pulled down in order to allow for fresh air. My husband was not as lucky when he was first moved to his last cabin. It was only when I went to the Customer Relations desk and asked why he could not be moved that things changed. 
I will admit, I did lose it this morning. I became almost inconsolable at the thought of possibly testing positive tomorrow. I was not upset for me as much as I was that my husband has chosen to stay with me. 
We cannot leave the confines of this stateroom.  
I want him to be able to continue his post surgery recovery but that is not going to happen. 
And because today is Embarkation day, there is no Room Service and the Quaranteeners are fairly well forgotten. I had to wait n hold for Customer Relations to answer in order to have the Internet restored. 
I am sure that they were bombarded by so many Entitled Guests who want something for nothing. 
The high stress level on  Embarkation day is truly remarkable. 
IF anyone is listening: 
If they would allow me access to a hallway, I could totally revamp this system in less than 15 minutes. (I dont need the hallway I just want a change of scenery. ) 
My organizational skills are those of a former old-fashioned housewife. You try getting one to baseball, the other to Clarinet lessons and your husband's suit to the cleaners all before the Stock Market closes. 🙂

Absolutely unconscionable that “room service is closed” when the ship knows it has quarantined passengers who require food delivery since you can’t just hop up to Oceanview!  They must have provided a way through SOMEONE who can ensure you are fed.  Please let us know they have provided for you and your DH!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, donna1009 said:

I agree with you! Now Covid is an endemic illness with is mild for many the cruiselines should start to treat it like Flu or Norovirus. Sick bay if needed, quaratine in own room (as Norovirus)as needed. 

In the UK after 5 days you are released from any guidance to isolate, although advised to be cautious.

It is wrong IMHO for cruiselines to portray safe, all vaccinated, all tested cruises, when they could never be 100% safe. People getting on can test negative but be positive within 3 days. People getting off at ports could contract covid and bring it back on board etc. etc. 

I do understand that for some the risk is much higher and covid if contracted much more serious. Thats why the cruiselines should be more transparent to allow passengers to assess risks and make contingency plans, or decide its not for them right now.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, bananavan said:

I am convinced of that. 
My husband has chosen to remain with me in Isolation until I test Negative .
That means he does not get to leave the cabin either. 
I completely understand the desire on the part of the Revenue department to maximize the money that they can get from each sailing but it comes at the price of the passengers who paid the original price and are not getting the service that they anticipated. 
I am still convinced that the Retreat area inPort Everglades is the area that the is the incubation location. 
I understand that there are those who think that the airplane passengers are bringing it on, but many of us drove or were driven. 
Thank you so much for your kind words. 

We were truly shocked when we arrived at our 11-00 am allotted time to the retreat lounge at Port Everglades to find the room absolutely packed...I mean standing room only. Very Very few with face coverings. We were so relieved to get out of there. Even entitled suite guests should keep to their allocated time and held in line as guests in other categories were. We were told not to come early but clearly everyone ignored that!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, drarill said:

No problem with people testing privately, but I do have a problem with positives spreading the virus, making their own protocols.  It doesn't matter if you are vaccinated or already had the virus, it is wrong and irresponsible. Yesterday the Eclipse and the Apex passengers were ordered to use masks again.  After a common cold people don't have an elevated risk of a DVT, stroke, heart attack  or PE, and I'm not going to start talking about Long COVID. This is not a common cold. 

Given the known isolation experience many have faced wouldnt you be crazy to report officially unless you needed medical attention. Responsible people were testing during the cruise, the majority were not. Having experienced this TA, a very tiny minority took precautions of any kind. Handwashing facilities in the buffet and the retreat hardly used, and even in bathrooms I was shocked at minimal handwashing. People sneezing and coughing without covering their nose and mouth at all, or into their hands and then eating drinking and touching soft furnishings. Disgusting behaviour even pre covid! Officers and crew must have seen people with symptoms of possible covid. I didnt hear of any close contact testing on this sailing other than partners and people sharing rooms. Did it happen?

The cruiselines could encourage compliance  by clearly setting out a standard of care, allowing people to quarantine in their own rooms and providing excellent support and service.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 360Guy said:

…wow not only do I have to stay in my room, I have to fight every day for food, information, etc.  Celebrity needs to figure out the service delivery model for quarantined guests.

They've had more than enough time to figure it out. At this point, I don't think they want to. Keeping isolation protocols miserable for guests is incentivizing fewer visits to medical for testing. Less testing = fewer confirmed positives.

• Like 6

On 5/13/2022 at 3:14 PM, VitaminSea53 said:

Did you have to wait several days or did you get it right away?

VitaminSea53- When I signed on to the website it provided me with dates and several times each day for the appointment. If I recall correctly there were appointments for the following day but I made mine for 2 days out. My DW just told me the letter came via email within 30 minutes after my appointment (which lasted all of 2 minutes). Also, appointments were generally in the evening (Europe time) since the doctors are located in the states.

The cost was $75

• Like 1