Endicott excursion

lbfluffy

I have been on the Tracy Arm cruises multiple times and have never encountered what rj59 is describing.  All of our tours have been wonderful.  There has been plenty of space to move around both inside and outside --- there was never a problem in viewing the sights.  Being up close and personal to the scenery definitely offers a different perspective on the size, color and shapes of the bergs.  While this excursion might not be everyone's cup of tea, I am glad that it is offered by our cruise line and looking forward to our August excursion.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 12:56 AM, rj59 said:

The excursion was offered on a Tracy Arm cruise I went on a few weeks ago. We only got a vague, distant view of Sawyer Glacier from our ship, and I'm not sure if the boat tour was able to get closer to the glacier, because of ice floes. It's kind of annoying for the other passengers, because the shipped stopped for half an hour to load everyone onto the boat, and then again after its tour ended. While you could theoretically get close-up views of ice and things, in reality most people are going to be crammed inside with hundreds of people and there's limited outdoor viewing areas, so you have limited viewing through windows, behind rows of other people, many probably crowding the windows and few outside areas to take photos. I much preferred being close to the water on the cruise ship, where I could easily go from side to side to see ice, wildlife, cliffs, and to warm myself in the sun. I know on HAL and NCL, when we went in Tracy and Endicott they opened up the bow section for outdoor viewing, which was freezing, and RCI allowed people out there if they paid for a photo op. 

Can't say I am sorry to the passengers that will be waiting for me to get on and off the smaller vessel, but I will take dealing with the crowds to be able to actually see the glacier, the wildlife, etc. All reviews I have seen have been wonderful, videos of experiences are breathtaking. Well worth the chance for me to see something other than a "vague, distant view"

So to answer the OP's original concern - the price jump from $249 to $279. I would say a huge part of that price increase is related to the same price increase we've all seen occurring at our local gas stations (and in our stores and restaurants). It really does impact EVERYTHING. Ships carrying products across our oceans have had a huge increase in fuel costs. Then the truckers carrying the products from the ports to the distribution centers, then to the stores and finally to our homes. There have also been significant increases in labor costs. That small business ship captain has probably had to keep increasing wages to keep or attract new employees or risk losing them.

At least so far - we can all be hopeful of one thing. I have not yet seen any mention of any cruise line adding non-optional fuel surcharges to the cruise contracts we all agree to. Shhhhhh! Mums the word.

Im on RCI Quantum 7/4 and have this excursion. Depart from ship and meet back up in Juneau. 7am start. 
ive seen videos of same or similar and there seems to be two small boats (being a bit bigger)

my excursion has been fully booked since Jan. Hope its a small boat. 

I wish more folks would come back to CC and comment on the excursions when they return. 

We did the Endicott Arm and Dawes glacier small ship excursion earlier today.  We left the cruise ship about 7:35 AM and were able to get within a quarter mile or less of the face of Dawes.  So much closer than the cruise ship.  Allen Marine was the vendor, and we have always found their excursions to be well run.  We rejoined the cruise ship just after it had arrived in Juneau at 1:30 PM.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We did the Endicott Arm and Dawes glacier small ship excursion earlier today.  We left the cruise ship about 7:35 AM and were able to get within a quarter mile or less of the face of Dawes.  So much closer than the cruise ship.  Allen Marine was the vendor, and we have always found their excursions to be well run.  We rejoined the cruise ship just after it had arrived in Juneau at 1:30 PM.  

Thank you - what ship are you on?

On 5/2/2022 at 7:12 AM, quack2 said:

The 7 hour trip sounds like the one that is a round trip out of Juneau.  The excursion that disembarks passengers at Tracy Arm or Endicott and then meets the ship in Juneau is closer to 3.5 hours.

The Juneau round trip usually leaves at 8 a.m. Not many cruise itineraries arrive in Juneau early enough (7:00 a.m. or earlier) to take it.

Our excursion on the solstice gets off in endicott goes towards the glacier and meets the ship in Juneau. It is a 6 hour excursion