Menus for Alaska Cruises

ImperialLady

We are on the Crown on 8/27/22 and were wondering if there were any menu changes or additions to sailing going to Alaska. We went 5 years ago and didn't eat in the main dining rooms as we had several specality restaurant gifts. And the remainer of the time we went to either the buffet or other casual eateries or room service. This year we plan to eat in the main diningroom (s) and was wondering if there were any specialty items we should look for. Moose stew? Reindeer sausage? Yak chile?😁

There is a new program for this Alaska season featuring new wild Alaskan seafood selections, but menus haven’t been posted as the sailings are just now starting.  Items are promised to appear in the MDRs, speciality restaurants, buffets and open-deck dining.  I’ve also seen evidence of a new salmon breakfast time item in the IC. 

In the past there has, in fact, been game.  

Edited by VibeGuy

4 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

There is a new program for this Alaska season featuring new wild Alaskan seafood selections, but menus haven’t been posted as the sailings are just now starting.  Items are promised to appear in the MDRs, speciality restaurants, buffets and open-deck dining.  I’ve also seen evidence of a new salmon breakfast time item in the IC. 

In the past there has, in fact, been game.  

WOW that sounds fantastic...hoping someone who goes earlier will post menues. 

54 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

We are on the Crown on 8/27/22 and were wondering if there were any menu changes or additions to sailing going to Alaska. We went 5 years ago and didn't eat in the main dining rooms as we had several specality restaurant gifts. And the remainer of the time we went to either the buffet or other casual eateries or room service. This year we plan to eat in the main diningroom (s) and was wondering if there were any specialty items we should look for. Moose stew? Reindeer sausage? Yak chile?😁

Yak chile? Alaska is no where near Himalayan region of the Indian subcontinent!!!

Reindeer is caribou.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Annoyingly, there has become a yak industry in Alaska.  They thrive there. 

It would be better for the environment and the native population to encourage caribou processing...

Edited by brisalta

Yeah, but “reindeer” is a tough sell.  Especially on the Kids Menu. 

I like game, and would be happy to see even more of it on Princess menus.  They used to have that delicious rabbit sugo, medallions of elk and venison saddle.    Alaska wasn’t exactly a big chicken-eating market as recently as statehood, so slapping a few items on the menu at Crown Grill and the MDR would be a nice change of pace from Chicken The 37th Way. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

thanks for posting this...my husband is very excited to try some of these dishes.

16 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Yeah, but “reindeer” is a tough sell.  Especially on the Kids Menu.

The Denali shuttles used to have caribou sausage in their snack boxes.  Some had some issues with it as they were chomping on the sausage while spotting caribou along the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Glaciers said:

This is great info - thanks for reposting this!

I'm just a little sad that the flourless chocolate cake seems to be gone from the Day 1 dessert menu (my go-to dessert for the sailaway dinner) and the creme brulee seems to be gone from the always available menu.

• Like 1

Glaciers, thanks so much for sharing.  I’m actually a little disappointed on my husbands behalf on the seafood offerings.  On our May cruise the only fresh fish in season is halibut but I didn’t notice it on any of the menus.  I’m HOPING there will be additional fresh offerings as outlined in the Princess Wild for Alaska announcement.  I, on the other hand, was delighted as a non-seafood eater with the other offerings!  😋

Wild is not synonymous with fresh/never frozen.  The companies named in the announcement are leaders in high-quality frozen seafood, and for stability of supply, sustainable harvest and overall quality, Princess uses frozen fish.   Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise unless you saw it flopping around. 

They’ve done a good job sliding in various Alaskan species where they usually use “a mild flaky white fish” of questionable parentage.  I eat a lot of finfish aboard Princess and I am very cynical about the accuracy of genus/species identification on the menus.  Saying here that they’ll be using sockeye salmon, halibut and cod is a big, big step up for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...