Sea sick medication outside the infirmary

As well as fresh air ,looking at the horizon, green apple slicers and rist bands . Promethazien is a cost from the medical centre but it could take down a two hump camel and put it to sleep . So there is help available for seasickness this alone reduces the anxiety of " I'm going to get seasick " .here is some more info 🙃

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/the-pharmacologic-management-of-motion-sickness#:~:text=Promethazine%2C which has the strongest,effective in preventing motion sickness.

12 hours ago, Hogbay said:

As well as fresh air ,looking at the horizon, green apple slicers and rist bands . Promethazien is a cost from the medical centre but it could take down a two hump camel and put it to sleep . So there is help available for seasickness this alone reduces the anxiety of " I'm going to get seasick " .here is some more info 🙃

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/the-pharmacologic-management-of-motion-sickness#:~:text=Promethazine%2C which has the strongest,effective in preventing motion sickness.

Thanks for the link to the article on seasickness. It is very interesting.

• Thanks 1

When my brother and sister in law were going to Antartica on a small ship from Hobart, doctors at Qld Health where she worked recommended Phenergan, readily available over the counter. Don't know if they needed it but did have some very rough weather with people fallling out of bed.

On our first ever cruise to Alaska waiter recommended green apple without being asked and we were not sea sick, just general advice.

I always used Avomine to prevent seasickness. It was fantastic but hasn't been available in Aust for a few years. I have some left and take it with me but haven't needed it for years. On researching on the internet, Phenergan is virtually the same as Avomine. When I was on a cruise to Antarctica, they handed out Phenergan like lollies.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I always used Avomine to prevent seasickness. It was fantastic but hasn't been available in Aust for a few years. I have some left and take it with me but haven't needed it for years. On researching on the internet, Phenergan is virtually the same as Avomine. When I was on a cruise to Antarctica, they handed out Phenergan like lollies.

I am prone to motion sickness so used Avomine for cruising and flying. When Avomine became unavailable I bought Phenergan and have used it since - for me it works very well. I tend to take it at night on cruises though because it can make me drowsy. 

I bought some Avomine through the internet from a chemist in the UK.  It arrived within a few weeks and there was no problem with customs etc.  Not sure if I broke any rules.  Youngest son was doing his second cruise after being very sick on his first.  On his first the medical centre gave him something and it knocked him out for 2 days.

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

I bought some Avomine through the internet from a chemist in the UK.  It arrived within a few weeks and there was no problem with customs etc.  Not sure if I broke any rules.  Youngest son was doing his second cruise after being very sick on his first.  On his first the medical centre gave him something and it knocked him out for 2 days.

Like you, I use an overseas motion sickness medication, I buy Bonine (meclizine) on EBay. Always buy in original unopened packets and have never had a problem. They come in the post from the US in a couple of weeks.

2A4E9C09-FFCC-4CAA-BEA5-05F0A5FC32A2.jpeg

Edited by Porky55

3 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Like you, I use an overseas motion sickness medication, I buy Bonine (meclizine) on EBay. Always buy in original unopened packets and have never had a problem. They come in the post from the US in a couple of weeks.

The article on seasickness medications referenced earlier in this thread is very interesting. It is worth reading.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fossilraf said:

If you would prefer the Non Drug option I swear by Ginger in any of its forms. Personally I stock up on Ginger Beer and or Ginger sweets.

I love ginger beer but sometimes wonder how much ginger is actually in it.

Matso's is my favourite.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 8:07 AM, lyndarra said:

I love ginger beer but sometimes wonder how much ginger is actually in it.

Matso's is my favourite.

I checked the ingredients on a bottle of my Aldi Diet Ginger Beer. 0.01% ginger root powder.

• Haha 3

On 5/4/2022 at 9:52 PM, Hogbay said:

The  glosses over something very important - as a sufferer - its not the vomiting that's the big issue = its the nausea which lasts for hours that's the problem The patches solves this for me and I'll never cruise without them. 

35 minutes ago, lissie said:

The  glosses over something very important - as a sufferer - its not the vomiting that's the big issue = its the nausea which lasts for hours that's the problem The patches solves this for me and I'll never cruise without them. 

Lis I happy you have found a good place to cruise 🙂🇺🇦

14 hours ago, lissie said:

I agree, sometimes it is more just the nausea for me. I have only ever vomited twice - once on a cruise ship and once on a plane, my first ever flight returning from Tasmania when we hit a storm over Bass Strait. I used Avomine which works really well but now that it is not available in Australia, I use Phenergan, taking it at night. Rarely have nausea from motion sickness now.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I agree, sometimes it is more just the nausea for me. I have only ever vomited twice - once on a cruise ship and once on a plane, my first ever flight returning from Tasmania when we hit a storm over Bass Strait. I used Avomine which works really well but now that it is not available in Australia, I use Phenergan, taking it at night. Rarely have nausea from motion sickness now.

The article on motion sickness referenced earlier in this thread mentioned the groups of people who are more affected by motion sickness. It said that it affects women more than men, and particularly women who are taking HRT.

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The article on motion sickness referenced earlier in this thread mentioned the groups of people who are more affected by motion sickness. It said that it affects women more than men, and particularly women who are taking HRT.

I am female but don't take HRT. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 7:27 PM, Porky55 said:

I bought some over the counter in an ABC store when in Hawaii. It works well for my hubby. 

• Like 1