Boarding Time...Can it be earlier?

44 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

I prefer to check in shortly before the cabins are expected to be open. Why board at 11 am and lug your carry on around for lunch and then while waiting for the cabin to become available (used to be 1 pm, not it's 2 pm but they seem to be anywhere from 1:30-2:00 pm)

Lots of us fly in early and are coming from a hotel with a checkout time of 11am.  

I think it varies by the ship, cabins sold. And port.  Last week we cruised from San Juan. We had a 1:30 boarding and Royal sent use several l messages to stick with our time but since we had to check out of the hotel at 1130 we took a chance.  We were on the ship in 15 min no questions asked.  

i think the reality is Royal wants passengers to stick with boarding time to keep on boarding spread out but not enough to refuse boarding for early boarders.  

Edited by volk904

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

It may vary by port/ship. 10:30 was the earliest on my Harmony cruise out of PC at the end of the month. Oddly enough, it was 11:00 when we first checked in (at midnight when check-in opened) and then 10:30 showed up a few days later.

Thanks so much for posting this! I did our check in a few days ago when it opened at midnight and was happy to snag the earliest slot at 11am. I just read this, checked the app, and sure enough, 10:30 was now available 🙂 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:25 PM, topnole said:

How is it for Allure in Ft Lauderdale?

Our February cruise on the Allure they were checking times. We had an early check in time (10:30)and got right in line. The passengers with a later check in time had to wait for their check in time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Belle5129 said:

Thanks so much for posting this! I did our check in a few days ago when it opened at midnight and was happy to snag the earliest slot at 11am. I just read this, checked the app, and sure enough, 10:30 was now available 🙂 

You’re welcome. Now don’t tell anyone. I’d like 10:30 for my July cruise as well. 🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, anyone can pick the earliest time slots until they are full.

I believe his point was that having an assigned time makes things go more smoothly.

What he said....   ^   👍👍

Edited by island lady

16 hours ago, cajunfla said:

I got his point, and I agree with it.   MY point is many don't want to follow the assigned times.

Then those can find out what it is like to wait outside the terminal until their scheduled time.  😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

You’re welcome. Now don’t tell anyone. I’d like 10:30 for my July cruise as well. 🤫

Keep in mind though Mike, even the earliest check in can be delayed for a short time...or much longer.  

So many things can interrupt the disembarkation of previous cruises.  Medical, weather, including fog, mechanical, and the "not so much heard of...but is still there"....Noro Virus.  

Happened to us many times.  I remember waiting in Ft. Lauderdale terminal until after 2:00 due to Noro cleaning of the ship before we could board.  😮 

Hope for the best...expect the worst...then adjust.  😉 

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Keep in mind though Mike, even the earliest check in can be delayed for a short time...or much longer.

Hope for the best...expect the worst...then adjust.  😉 

Thanks, I'm aware. There are far worse problems in life than waiting at the terminal to board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks, I'm aware. There are far worse problems in life than waiting at the terminal to board.

Could be a good time to pack that nice chilled beer in your carry on bag....ahhh...makes the waiting more palatable.  😄 

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Could be a good time to pack that nice chilled beer in your carry on bag....ahhh...makes the waiting more palatable.  😄 

At one point all it took was being a lowly Diamond and you got to sit in an area with cookies and coffee/ice tea. We felt so special when we made Diamond. Now from reading CC so much and interacting with all you lovely Pinnacle suite people who cruise for months per year, I feel like a 3rd class citizen. 🤣

19 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

At one point all it took was being a lowly Diamond and you got to sit in an area with cookies and coffee/ice tea. We felt so special when we made Diamond. Now from reading CC so much and interacting with all you lovely Pinnacle suite people who cruise for months per year, I feel like a 3rd class citizen. 🤣

Gosh no...we are all the same people inside.  And indeed it's what is inside that counts.  🙂 

Actually the last few times we have waited to board (which is rare, we usually walk straight onto the ship by the time we check in at the terminal), there were no fancy snacks in the full suite/Pinnacle area.  Didn't both me...saving my appetite for lunch.  Water out is nice though, and can usually find that...usually.  

• Like 1

Just boarded Ovation yesterday.  They were checking boarding times.  Those who were checking in on time, were allowed to immediately go to check in.

Those who were early were put in another line.  It was long.  And they were waiting in the rain.  Lots of protestations in that line…some trying to claim they had “special status”.

In short, check in at your designated time of you don’t want to wait to board!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just boarded Ovation yesterday.  They were checking boarding times.  Those who were checking in on time, were allowed to immediately go to check in.

Those who were early were put in another line.  It was long.  And they were waiting in the rain.  Lots of protestations in that line…some trying to claim they had “special status”.

In short, check in at your designated time of you don’t want to wait to board!

Exactly.   Think you have a chance to check in early?   You might...but most likely it will be this situation.

Well put and thanks for posting your experience.  🙂 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

Gosh no...we are all the same people inside.  And indeed it's what is inside that counts.  🙂 

Actually the last few times we have waited to board (which is rare, we usually walk straight onto the ship by the time we check in at the terminal), there were no fancy snacks in the full suite/Pinnacle area.  Didn't both me...saving my appetite for lunch.  Water out is nice though, and can usually find that...usually.  

Let Bucky know I am sorry he had to sit without snacks.  😞 😂 

Speaking of early boarding, RC sent us an email last night welcoming us aboard today! The thing is the cruise is next Friday.  😂 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

Don't take me seriously if I ever make a self-deprecating comment; it's always just an attempt at humor (which will often fail, lol). Agree 100%.

When DW and I travel alone our M.O. has always been to hit the DL early for drinks (pre-voucher) and the overly-coveted strawberries and hang out there for a while before dinner. We have met several Pinnacle members and had lovely conversations despite what has often been a significant difference in age, wealth, C&A status, etc. Not too dissimilar from this little ongoing "conversation" across multiple threads.

I'm actually an introvert in my everyday life but when socializing I have no problem whatsoever interacting with anyone as long as they're not a "jerk" (I'll keep it PG). Someone will always have more and someone will always have less and it has no bearing on my feeling towards them or myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Let Bucky know I am sorry he had to sit without snacks.  😞 😂 

Speaking of early boarding, RC sent us an email last night welcoming us aboard today! 

LOL...if there were chocolates there...he would be hitting the munchies!  😉 

Oh, maybe someone gave you a free cruise...B2B time?  😉