Carnival over selling clamshells at Half Moon?

Thenagers

I am on some Carnival FB pages and some people have reported that they pre booked a Clam shell and they were sold out when they got to the island?  They were told that some were broken so there were not enough?  They were given a refund but they should know how many they have that are not broken.  They need to buy replacements. 

32 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I agree.  Carnival should keep a running number of available clamshells and not overbook.

I wonder if they have deffered buying new ones while capacity was down? If so, it is time to step it back up! They are sailing full now from recent reports.

5 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

If you reserve a clam shell (and are actually lucky enough to get one), where is it located? Can you move it? I’d rather be down the beach a bit where it’s quieter. 

The clamshells are not reserved by location, you just reserve one. The actual clamshell you get is first come first serve.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

The clamshells are not reserved by location, you just reserve one. The actual clamshell you get is first come first serve.

Thanks! But are they all located at the most crowded part of the beach, or spread out further down the beach where it’s quieter?

4 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

Thanks! But are they all located at the most crowded part of the beach, or spread out further down the beach where it’s quieter?

No, they do have them farther down. I don't know which are more popular. By the time I get to the beach they're all taken (I don't buy them personally).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

They have them down further, about where the majority of the beach chairs end. Think those don't go as quickly due to the further walk. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

There is no spread out.  The clamshells take up the whole beach down to where the trees start.  

It seemed to me they just set them up in order.  So first ones got closest to the port end.  
We got off the ship late and had to walk all the way down the beach.  We got ours at the very end by the trees (i found out after there is a truck that drives around the island we could have taken). 
I was getting worried as I walked down that there would be none left but when we got to the end there were some available. 

It actually worked out well because I found it was quieter down that end. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

Best decision we made was to skip our reserved clamshell on HMC and stay on the ship.  We'd been there before so we enjoyed the ship nearly to ourselves.  Wonderful time.  

Good for you!  I couldn't imagine passing up a day on HMC (unless it was storming all day) which then I would be hanging out on board too😀

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good for you!  I couldn't imagine passing up a day on HMC (unless it was storming all day) which then I would be hanging out on board too😀

Every time we go to HMC my wife and I say "we'll just stay on the ship this time" and then when we actually get there - we can't resist getting off for at least an hour or so. It's just so beautiful. We are not really beach people but it's just a special place.

• Like 5

I paid for a clam shell because my husband is a senior with difficulty walking.  He also likes some shade on the beach.  We were a little later getting off the ship because he is slower and doesn't want to hold anybody else up.  So, we got to the beach and started walking and walking...... It was a very hot day.  Nary an empty clam shell in sight.  I walked all the way to the end.  None.  We sat in the available chaise lounges.  When we got back onboard, I went to the excursion desk and they refunded our money.  No discussion.  No apology. That was on a half filled ship. 

There was no one monitoring if you had reserved a clam shell.  So, I don't know if they oversold or just let anyone sit there.  It certainly needs to change.

1 minute ago, ETHS1965 said:

I paid for a clam shell because my husband is a senior with difficulty walking.  He also likes some shade on the beach.  We were a little later getting off the ship because he is slower and doesn't want to hold anybody else up.  So, we got to the beach and started walking and walking...... It was a very hot day.  Nary an empty clam shell in sight.  I walked all the way to the end.  None.  We sat in the available chaise lounges.  When we got back onboard, I went to the excursion desk and they refunded our money.  No discussion.  No apology. That was on a half filled ship. 

There was no one monitoring if you had reserved a clam shell.  So, I don't know if they oversold or just let anyone sit there.  It certainly needs to change.

Used to they had the clamshells closed and you had to get a staff member to open it for you once you showed them your ticket. I wonder when that changed.

3 hours ago, ETHS1965 said:

Wow! Sorry that happened to you! They should definitely be monitoring that. 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:25 PM, mz-s said:

Used to they had the clamshells closed and you had to get a staff member to open it for you once you showed them your ticket. I wonder when that changed.

They do have a locking cable that the staff needs to unlock to setup the clam shell. Not sure what happened in ETHS1965's case. I would have asked one of the staff to find me an available one since I have a ticket for one. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CookieShip said:

They do have a locking cable that the staff needs to unlock to setup the clam shell. Not sure what happened in ETHS1965's case. I would have asked one of the staff to find me an available one since I have a ticket for one. 

There are multiple reports recently that the staff says there aren’t any more available and too bad.  All seem to have gotten a refund onboard afterwards. 

Carnival needs to figure this out.  For anyone who can’t tolerate sun, this could mean a day on the ship vs on the island like they’d planned. And paid for in advance. I am scheduled there in a few weeks and wanted to book a clamshell since I sunburn easily.  Unfortunately my husband has mobility issues and can’t walk to the other end of the beach to see if one is available. Carnival doesn’t offer any assurance at all or handicapped accessible clamshells. I’m still hoping we can at least spend an hour or two on the island since it’s our only port, but have given up on the beach day I’d planned. 

11 hours ago, vacruizer said:

There are multiple reports recently that the staff says there aren’t any more available and too bad.  All seem to have gotten a refund onboard afterwards. 

Carnival needs to figure this out.  For anyone who can’t tolerate sun, this could mean a day on the ship vs on the island like they’d planned. And paid for in advance. I am scheduled there in a few weeks and wanted to book a clamshell since I sunburn easily.  Unfortunately my husband has mobility issues and can’t walk to the other end of the beach to see if one is available. Carnival doesn’t offer any assurance at all or handicapped accessible clamshells. I’m still hoping we can at least spend an hour or two on the island since it’s our only port, but have given up on the beach day I’d planned. 

When we were at HMC in Sept 21, a couple had brought a beach umbrella. You could take the tram with your beach umbrella to Cabana 9 (where this pic is shot from) and it's a short walk to the chairs.  A bathroom is close by as well.  Just a thought...

HMC beach.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:56 PM, cmukid87 said:

Best decision we made was to skip our reserved clamshell on HMC and stay on the ship.  We'd been there before so we enjoyed the ship nearly to ourselves.  Wonderful time.  

I always get off the ship for Half Moon Cay.   I use Nassau to enjoy an empty ship......which isn't so empty anymore.

6 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

When we were at HMC in Sept 21, a couple had brought a beach umbrella. You could take the tram with your beach umbrella to Cabana 9 (where this pic is shot from) and it's a short walk to the chairs.  A bathroom is close by as well.  Just a thought...

HMC beach.jpg

Thank you. Does the tram run regularly for the return? It’s been many years since I’ve been to half moon and always just did my own thing and walked where I needed to go but that was quite a few years ago. Since I met my husband, I’ve really had my eyes opened as to how difficult it is for someone with a disability to get around in some places. 

15 hours ago, vacruizer said:

Thank you. Does the tram run regularly for the return? It’s been many years since I’ve been to half moon and always just did my own thing and walked where I needed to go but that was quite a few years ago. Since I met my husband, I’ve really had my eyes opened as to how difficult it is for someone with a disability to get around in some places. 

When we needed it for my mom from Cabana 9 to return it didn't seem like much of a wait.  Maybe 10 minutes.  Sorry I can't be more specific, like you we have always walked it.  I think there is a bench at the restroom or your husband could sit on the stairs there while waiting for the tram.

The walk from the beach chairs to the restroom which is next to the tram path is a short uphill route.  Just wanted you to know.

Edited by ninjacat123

22 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

HMC beach.jpg

I am wondering how that fits into someone's luggage.  Certainly not in mine, because I do carry-on only, even for a two-week cruise.

15 hours ago, vacruizer said:

Here's a pic of the path from the beach (side of Cabana 9 on left of pic, red arrow pointing to bathroom roof at tram path) and the uphill path has a sign for Restrooms above it.

hmc bathroom.jpg

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I am wondering how that fits into someone's luggage.  Certainly not in mine, because I do carry-on only, even for a two-week cruise.

You're right, probably not fitting in any luggage.  Since vacruiser is from Virginia I thought they might be driving to the port.  Or a beach umbrella could be purchased at the port city before embarkation.  Hmmm, maybe Carnival could start renting beach umbrellas.....

• Like 1