When to order covid tests for boarding

misha1

Ours came in two days.  But the expiration date was more than a year out.  The only drawback to ordering them a few weeks in advance would be if there was a chance the testing requirement would be dropped and it would be wasted expense.

3 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

Ours came in two days.  But the expiration date was more than a year out.  The only drawback to ordering them a few weeks in advance would be if there was a chance the testing requirement would be dropped and it would be wasted expense.

My insurance will reimburse me for the home tests so it wouldn't be a waste 🙂

We are sailing in late July and I figure I'll begin to get thinking seriously about testing come mid to late June. Things change so quickly that who knows what it will be in late July, much less September. 

There is no harm in ordering them now as the expiration dates will be far enough out but there is no guarantee they will be needed in September or that protocols won't change such that they aren't accepted.  If you want to wait until closer, they arrive in less than a week sometimes even next day.

6 hours ago, Justprettynpink said:

My insurance will reimburse me for the home tests so it wouldn't be a waste 🙂

make sure because my insurance only pays for medically necessary, ie, exposed to Covid, feeling sick and not for travel.  Funding for travel has dried up.  I just found out yesterday.  You can use the tests you get for free called IHealth I and find an on line proctor.  Just be aware that I tried to use the IHealth proctor for the kit I already have and they said they were SOLD OUT.  I don't know if they are sold out if you ordered the kit with them with the proctoring included.  I tried to setup an appointment with IHealth  for tomorrow and had to scramble for another method that does not cost $100+ pp.

2 hours ago, Snowey88 said:

make sure because my insurance only pays for medically necessary, ie, exposed to Covid, feeling sick and not for travel.  Funding for travel has dried up.  I just found out yesterday.  You can use the tests you get for free called IHealth I and find an on line proctor.  Just be aware that I tried to use the IHealth proctor for the kit I already have and they said they were SOLD OUT.  I don't know if they are sold out if you ordered the kit with them with the proctoring included.  I tried to setup an appointment with IHealth  for tomorrow and had to scramble for another method that does not cost $100+ pp.

I am reading that insurance must cover 8 at home tests each month per person ($12 each). It says nothing about having to use them each month. Which means I will be paying $18 for each emed test.

I ordered my tests Sunday and got them today. They expire 5/7/23

Edited by Justprettynpink
added expiration date

I ordered Tests through the Celebrity website for our March cruise from Optum.   I can not find the link via Celebrity to order again for our May 30 cruise.  Has Celebrity stopped sponsoring the tests?   I know I can order directly from Optum but they charge shipping.

14 minutes ago, scidee said:

I ordered Tests through the Celebrity website for our March cruise from Optum.   I can not find the link via Celebrity to order again for our May 30 cruise.  Has Celebrity stopped sponsoring the tests?   I know I can order directly from Optum but they charge shipping.

https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises-tests/

15 minutes ago, scidee said:

See the Celebrity FAQ about what COVID-19 tests are acceptable.  There is a link there.  I'm pretty sure they charge shipping even if ordering through the Celebrity link (at least they did last fall when I ordered that way).

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

1 hour ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Aren't covid test free at CVS and Walgreens?  Ours were a month ago.

I've heard reports CVS often charges for travel tests.  Walgreens has been free for the people I know who use them.  We do the home tests because it is so convenient.  

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

I've heard reports CVS often charges for travel tests.  Walgreens has been free for the people I know who use them.  We do the home tests because it is so convenient.  

I was told by the pharmacist at both stores that they are free.  You go through the drive through, and they watch you swab your nose, and put the swab in the vial, Then you hand it back to them in the plastic baggie. It takes about 30 seconds. WE had results in about 1 hour via email.  You can also get the results via text,

We live about 2 miles from Walgreens and 3 miles from CVS.

Edited by TomBeckCruise

6 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Aren't covid test free at CVS and Walgreens?  Ours were a month ago.

Guess it is state specific.  Here in TX u have to be experiencing symptoms or be exposed.  United HC does not pay for travel tests.

11 minutes ago, Snowey88 said:

Guess it is state specific.  Here in TX u have to be experiencing symptoms or be exposed.  United HC does not pay for travel tests.

There is no requirement to have insurance here.  if you have insurance they will take your card and bill the insurance company.  We got our test in Nashville to fly to Rome in March. 

I believe you are correct regarding being state specific though.

I ordered tests from Optus Monday, they’ll arrive tomorrow without having paid for express shipping. You should probably consider ordering tests in August, 3-4 weeks prior to your September cruise. If they are still required.

Stan

We ordered 3 sets so we have a back up.  Plan to test a week or so prior since we will be required to test in Seattle since we will arrive 3 days prior to enjoy. Will use a standard pharmacy or simpler at-home test to lower the risk of testing positive after flying there. 

Did that for our Nov ‘21 cruise and will do it again for our future cuises. even if they drop pre-tests, we will test prior to getting on anyway. 

Den

I would recommend buying them now so you have them on hand.   I know they promise 1-2 business days but something went really wrong with mine and after 10 days they refunded my money    I ordered new ones and they did arrive quickly.

I purchased mine early January 2022 and all of them have an expiration date of December 2022 so plenty of life in them.