Important Covid Policy - If you Test Posive while on European Cruises between 5/1 - 11/30/2022

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Jim, 

Since 1st May it’s recommended  5 days isolation in Scotland and 3 days isolation for under 18s. Only guidance, no legal requirement. Everyone has their own comfort zone with this. Enjoy your time in Ayrshire.

Thanks.... I truly didn't check again after I tested positive on April 29.   I guess things are really fluid.

As soon as Iain tested positive the results were sent to Santa Clara County Health Department (even though we were in Europe) from Navica.   Iain got a quick email from them to isolate for 7 days or 2 negative tests.

Edited by Jim_Iain

On 5/5/2022 at 10:28 AM, 360Guy said:

Just more confusion as it moves quickly and creates more questions.  We arrived home last night after air deviation.  Had recovery certificate but was still unclear how it would go when we got to the airport.  So thankful to be home it is indescribable.  On “pause” for cruise in October on Beyond TA…final $$ due 7/6.   Booked “in case” return flights from Barcelona on sail date in case testing still happening and worst happens…since a TA realized if we can’t sail how do we get home….Will watch how this goes the next two months but it’s very clear ships going full or close to it and per policy Celebrity has washed their hands of additional support postcruise or cancel with FCC.

Working on getting receipts organized for refund email to Celebrity and trip insurance…to be followed with letter to Celebrity CEO on the good, bad and ugly of 4/21/22 Silhouette sailing.  We absolutely loved the crew!

Just to clarify...are you flying home to the US?  If so, I thought you had to have a negative test to return to the states so if you can’t board the ship because you’re positive, how would you be able to fly home?

I’m asking for some help as I’m pretty stressed out right now.  Disembarked the Beyond in Barcelona yesterday morning and son tested positive for COVID this morning for the reentry test to US.   Does the new policy pertain to those boarding a European cruise April 27? I have notified Celebrity of the positive COVID test result. 

1 hour ago, CruiserFromSC said:

Just to clarify...are you flying home to the US?  If so, I thought you had to have a negative test to return to the states so if you can’t board the ship because you’re positive, how would you be able to fly home?

Hi CruiserFromSC.   Different trips.  Yes was able to obtain certificate of recovery for the 4/21-4/30 Silhouette in order to return delayed on 5/4. 

Sorry if my post was not clear…based on that recent experience, monitoring our Beyond TA on 10/12-10/24 Barcelona to New Jersey.   In case we test positive prior to boarding, then we can’t board.  Since I posted that, I revised our “in case” return to 12 days later in the event at that future date in October the US still has (monitoring/hopefully dropped soon) the test to return protocol in place and we would be working to obtain a recovery certificate.  

Just wanted a Plan B since it is a TA and if the trip is interrupted we have to get home from Barcelona.  

51 minutes ago, ncgolferette said:

I’m asking for some help as I’m pretty stressed out right now.  Disembarked the Beyond in Barcelona yesterday morning and son tested positive for COVID this morning for the reentry test to US.   Does the new policy pertain to those boarding a European cruise April 27? I have notified Celebrity of the positive COVID test result. 

Here is a link to the CDC website that has details on protocol:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

You will probably have to wait to hear from Celebrity. The policy that took effect May 1 likely will not apply to you. You might be subject to the previous policy, but that is complicated by the fact that you have already disembarked and  are a couple of days post cruise. It depends on whether Celebrity will respond as a gesture of goodwill. In any case, contact your travel insurance company.

For now, follow the local guidelines for isolation. Expect to be there until your son can test negative or qualify for a certificate of recovery. Save all receipts and documentation for your travel insurance/Celebrity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rachiem said:

Thank you...I assume that you don't have to reset the clock with the 10 days, if you've already spent a couple of days onboard isolating.

One more reason not to cruise at the moment but we have so much FCC from cruises that we've cancelled that we, that they need to be used.

We cruised 3 times last year but that was from Southampton.

Italian rules state 10 days quarantine.  Hypothetically yoin are Covid positive 2 days before getting off. Thats 8 days into the sequence.  Celebrity inform Italy they adjust accordingly, 8ndays in Italy before the next test you are in quarantine hotel. If no clear test you stayin 2quarantine for another 8 days. Sorry that's just life with Italian rules.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Italian rules state 10 days quarantine.  Hypothetically yoin are Covid positive 2 days before getting off. Thats 8 days into the sequence.  Celebrity inform Italy they adjust accordingly, 8ndays in Italy before the next test you are in quarantine hotel. If no clear test you stayin 2quarantine for another 8 days. Sorry that's just life with Italian rules.

Megabear2 the OP disembarked in Barcelona not Italy fyi

2 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

Some additional information on the company we used when we tested positive on last three days on Silhouette and subsequently quarantined off the ship until we were able to meet the requirements for the certificate.  You send a copy of the positive test result report and a copy of your son’s passport.  Can be photos.   They were prompt and met the requirements as a licensed health care provider and was accepted by the airline at check in, although their review of our documents was cursory at best.

https://sloanestreettesting.co.uk

Here are the details on what must be in the recovery certificate.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Airline_Checklist_Amended_for_Vaccine_Order_110621_for_posting_UPDATE.pdf

2 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

Unfortunately, since you are already off of the ship and tested a day later…..actually doesn’t matter since you are off of the ship…..Celebrity holds no responsibility anymore. You will have to see if you can get a letter of recovery after 5 days and use that with your positive test to re enter the US (if he tests negative after 5 days you won’t  need that) Regardless, he will have to stay there for at least 5 days. Is he old enough to stay alone? If so, all family members should leave Spain because if another tests positive you will be there longer……hope that made sense

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Unfortunately, since you are already off of the ship and tested a day later…..actually doesn’t matter since you are off of the ship…..Celebrity holds no responsibility anymore. You will have to see if you can get a letter of recovery after 5 days and use that with your positive test to re enter the US (if he tests negative after 5 days you won’t  need that) Regardless, he will have to stay there for at least 5 days. Is he old enough to stay alone? If so, all family members should leave Spain because if another tests positive you will be there longer……hope that made sense

Actually, you can't travel to the United States for a minimum of 10 days once you tested positive (per CDC site:)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel/index.html#do-not-travel

Do NOT travel if…

• You have COVID-19 symptoms, even if you recovered from COVID-19 within the past 90 days or are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
  • You tested positive for COVID-19.
    • Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.
  • You are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test.
    • If your test comes back positive while you are at your destination, you will need to isolate and postpone your return until it’s safe for you to travel. Your travel companions may need to quarantine.
  • You had close contact with a person with COVID-19 and are recommended to quarantine.
    • Do not travel until a full 5 days after your last close contact with the person with COVID-19. It is best to avoid travel for a full 10 days after your last exposure.
    • If you must travel during days 6 through 10 after your last exposure:
      • Get tested at least 5 days after your last close contact. Make sure your test result is negative and you remain without symptoms before traveling. If you don’t get tested, avoid travel until a full 10 days after your last close contact with a person with COVID-19.
      • Properly wear a well-fitting mask when you are around others for the entire duration of travel during days 6 through 10. If you are unable to wear a mask, you should not travel during days 6 through 10.

15 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Actually, you can't travel to the United States for a minimum of 10 days once you tested positive (per CDC site:)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel/index.html#do-not-travel

Do NOT travel if…

• You have COVID-19 symptoms, even if you recovered from COVID-19 within the past 90 days or are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
  • You tested positive for COVID-19.
    • Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.
  • You are waiting for results of a COVID-19 test.
    • If your test comes back positive while you are at your destination, you will need to isolate and postpone your return until it’s safe for you to travel. Your travel companions may need to quarantine.
  • You had close contact with a person with COVID-19 and are recommended to quarantine.
    • Do not travel until a full 5 days after your last close contact with the person with COVID-19. It is best to avoid travel for a full 10 days after your last exposure.
    • If you must travel during days 6 through 10 after your last exposure:
      • Get tested at least 5 days after your last close contact. Make sure your test result is negative and you remain without symptoms before traveling. If you don’t get tested, avoid travel until a full 10 days after your last close contact with a person with COVID-19.
      • Properly wear a well-fitting mask when you are around others for the entire duration of travel during days 6 through 10. If you are unable to wear a mask, you should not travel during days 6 through 10.

Yes you can. I have done it. Quarantine for 5 days and along with letter and positive test one can travel ……I also know many people that have done it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Yes you can. I have done it. Quarantine for 5 days and along with letter and positive test one can travel ……I also know many people that have done it

Kinda interesting to hear that the airlines are not following the CDC requirements which are very clear that, while you can end isolation at 5 days and wear a mask, the DO NOT TRAVEL extends all the way to 10 days after covid positive test results.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

https://quick.md/blog/doctors-notes-medical-certificates/documentation-of-recovery-for-recent-covid-19-infection-cdc/

A lot of times what is stated and what is followed aren't the same so good to know what is happening in actual practice. I looked up the airline checklist to see if they have any date requirements for positive test until flying and I didn't see it listed. Not sure if each individual country might have their own isolation requirements that also have to be followed (heard Italy was a minimum of 7 days if repeat test is negative). Also might be very dependent on the doctor filling out the certificate of recovery. (US doctors are supposed to make patient wait the 10 days per CDC guidelines - see above link)

Edited by sherylc

28 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Kinda interesting to hear that the airlines are not following the CDC requirements which are very clear that, while you can end isolation at 5 days and wear a mask, the DO NOT TRAVEL extends all the way to 10 days after covid positive test results.  

https://quick.md/blog/doctors-notes-medical-certificates/documentation-of-recovery-for-recent-covid-19-infection-cdc/

A lot of times what is stated and what is followed aren't the same so good to know what is happening in actual practice. I looked up the airline checklist to see if they have any date requirements for positive test until flying and I didn't see it listed. Not sure if each individual country might have their own isolation requirements that also have to be followed (heard Italy was a minimum of 7 days if repeat test is negative). Also might be very dependent on the doctor filling out the certificate of recovery. (US doctors are supposed to make patient wait the 10 days per CDC guidelines - see above link)

Correct the check list only indicates negative test or the elements needed on the recovery certificate.  Not the days. They don’t question a recovery certificate in my recent experience…they barely even looked at it.   The airlines hate this..it is totally disruptive and puts them in the middle.  Airlines are full press lobbying the administration to drop it.  We shall see.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Not sure what to tell you. The CDC allows it. It’s the airlines that sometimes give passengers a hard time with it. 

6 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

The wording on the new policy was for sailings that departed BEFORE MAY 1 are covered under the old policy .  

What I don't have the answer to is passengers who tested positive after they leave the ship.   There also may be a stipulation on how many days your flight is after the cruise ends.   I seem to remember reading something in the range of 1-2 day limit. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Hi CruiserFromSC.   Different trips.  Yes was able to obtain certificate of recovery for the 4/21-4/30 Silhouette in order to return delayed on 5/4. 

Sorry if my post was not clear…based on that recent experience, monitoring our Beyond TA on 10/12-10/24 Barcelona to New Jersey.   In case we test positive prior to boarding, then we can’t board.  Since I posted that, I revised our “in case” return to 12 days later in the event at that future date in October the US still has (monitoring/hopefully dropped soon) the test to return protocol in place and we would be working to obtain a recovery certificate.  

Just wanted a Plan B since it is a TA and if the trip is interrupted we have to get home from Barcelona.  

Thanks for the clarification. We are on a B2B (Sep 24-0ct 12) before you board for the TA.  The testing requirements to board and to return to the US are stressing me out.  🙃

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CruiserFromSC said:

Thanks for the clarification. We are on a B2B (Sep 24-0ct 12) before you board for the TA.  The testing requirements to board and to return to the US are stressing me out.  🙃

Understand…..completely 

7 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Megabear2 the OP disembarked in Barcelona not Italy fyi

I think we are at cross purposes .  Rachiem to whom I replied is a UK resident asking what happens in Italy regarding quarantine at this time and whether it is possible to go straight from ship quarantine to home.

She is not the person who is in Spain at present.

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think we are at cross purposes .  Rachiem to whom I replied is a UK resident asking what happens in Italy regarding quarantine at this time and whether it is possible to go straight from ship quarantine to home.

She is not the person who is in Spain at present.

Sorry I misunderstood.   Thank you.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, MarkusToe said:

Clear, as there is no need for isolation in a hotel anymore.... 

There is though, as you can’t fly back to the USA  from a foreign country if you test positive. So you have to wait in the foreign country until you test negative in order to fly home. The USA policy to test to fly home needs to change. Neither Canada nor the UK require testing anymore. 

12 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Surely you wouldn’t fly knowing you were positive and would likely infect others! 

I wouldn't myself but in my case if I hadn't tested positive I would have never known I was infected.   Many like us with this new sub-variant are totally asymptomatic.   I flew from LHR to Scotland earlier this week and I heard a number of guest both in the airport and airplane with the classic chesty cough.

I only saw about 10 on our full flight with masks on including ourselves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lexmiller said:

There is though, as you can’t fly back to the USA  from a foreign country if you test positive. So you have to wait in the foreign country until you test negative in order to fly home. The USA policy to test to fly home needs to change. Neither Canada nor the UK require testing anymore. 

It is important to add that you can fly home after 10 days even if testing positive with a certificate of recovery issued by a Licensed Doctor.   Some test positive for months after infection even though considered not a carrier.

• Like 2