HAL Not providing onboard covid testing in Vancouver

Received the following message from HAL early this morning regarding our upcoming cruise:

”Please be advised that due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret that we are unable to provide disembarkation testing in Vancouver, British Columbia for guests who require a negative COVID-19 test for their onward travels.”

Not sure which is more frustrating - the requirement for the testing itself or HAL’s late change in policy.

• Like 2

I saw that at 5:45 a.m. Nothing like that added stress to the day. Our cruise leaves on 5-28. The options given of try at the airport or order tests is I suppose the best they can do but that is a lot to ask of passengers.

My initial thought, how crowded will the testing center be at the Vancouver airport? 

The day before is an at sea day, so no one could do the supervised online test on that day. So the result will be people will be up at the crack of dawn trying to log in to do the supervised tests. We have two kids with us so that should be fun.  

• Like 4

I had the same question, but maybe Canada’s requirement applies to ore-embarkation testing only. This is a U.S. requirement, Canada doesn’t really care about that. I think it’s pretty obvious that HAL doesn’t want anything to do with the cost of testing NOR the cost of dealing with customers who test positive. If the testing isn’t done until I get to the airport, HAL has no responsibility for lodging, etc.  Disappointing, as that was part of their “Worry Free” promise to encourage people to cruise again, and now they’re doing this at the last minute? You can bet I will use my eMed test while I’m still on the boat so if I’m positive I can inform them while they still have some responsibility. 

• Like 5

I have paid thousands of dollars, the messed up my flights once, and they can’r/wont provide a covid test. After the upcoming trip, I may wash my hands of the cruise industry. 

What about the passengers with already booked air aon early afternoon departures.   Quit screwing people aground.  

The suggest using the emed kit,    Which will be useless at sea with HALS internet.

They have been promising these tests and leave the passengers out in the cold just before departure.

I am not traveling any more with the cruise lines.   I am done.  I paid as a single in a NS.  

• Like 5

Seems all the cruise lines are "washing their hands" (nice expression) of COVID as soon as they possibly can. Celebrity is not offering testing at the end of their cruises even in Europe -- although at least at Southampton last week they were letting you buy a test at the port. But in other ports not so much....  They are also being very cagey about quarantine procedures and about how much COVID is actually onboard. While I enjoyed my cruise, I found the evasiveness very off-putting.

And people wonder why regulatory authorities don't trust the cruise lines to regulate themselves. 😳

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ScoutDiver said:

What about the passengers with already booked air aon early afternoon departures.   Quit screwing people aground.  

Yeah, along those lines - I have never done this before, what is a reasonable time for me to estimate that I’ll get to the airport? Our flight is at 1:30 so it’s a little worrisome if I’m not able to use our eMed kits for some reason while on board. 

Yep, it’s a permanent change, not just for Vancouver. The FAQ on the website was updated overnight. “Vaccinated guests needing a disembarkation COVID-19 test in the U. S., Canada and all other destinations . . . Will be responsible to arrange and cover the expense of that test.” Which means the line in the email they sent blaming “circumstances beyond our control” is complete BS. Unless you take “circumstance” to mean “holy crap, that’s a lot of money we’re spending to find answers that we really don’t want to know in the first place”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

In the end it’s going to hurt hal because USA citizens will be reluctant to book Canadian cruises or they may get a lot of cancellations.

Exactly why I booked this year's Alaska cruise out of Seattle rather than Vancouver.  

• Like 5

with resurgence of covid on cruise ships (eg over 100+ were quarantined on arrival in seattle on recent Carnival boat in seattle), cruise companies don't want a positive test while pax is still onboard and then they become responsible for them.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle/cruise-covid-19-positive-passengers-seattle/281-39e9ae51-79f1-4fc6-9de4-42faa1cee184

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 2

I’m sorry for anyone whose travel plans are being frustrated by these measures, but is it a cruise lines responsibility?  Do airlines provide free testing for , say , connecting flights to countries that require a test ? 
It seems to me that now mask mandates etc. are not strictly enforced or are not in place anymore, the virus is on the rise again. When I took my Eurodam cruise last September, everyone , no exceptions , wore a mask . We were tested a day before disembarkation and among the 900 pax , there were no positives.

Again sorry for everyone who’s affected, but we can all take our responsibility to keep the virus in check. 

• Like 14

Well, crap.  I'm flying to Seattle, spending the night, taking HAL's shuttle to Vancouver.  But coming home, I booked my flight from Vancouver and have a stop in Seattle.  The testing requirement only applied to flights.  I'm going to see if I can change my flight to just the Seattle leg and either use HAL's transfer or take the train.

Nevermind.  My fare is nonrefundable, and even if I cancel and rebook, the fare RT Seattle is now more than I paid.  Add to that the train fare, and I'd be out-of-pocket more.  I'll just figure something out. 😡

Edited by NCTribeFan

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

How often does the CDC amend their regulations?  I’m thinking it’s time to take down the flight testing requirement.

That would require them to admit they were wrong (or out-of-step with nearly all other western countries) to require tests for vaccinated air travelers (while not requiring same for all other travelers). Since when has a bureaucrat ever admitted they were wrong or out-of-step. 😕

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 2

This is rotten news to get at the last minute……

If this information will help anyone

There are 2 testing sites at YVR.  You can make an appointment.  I have done this and had test results in 30 minutes 

CVM Medical at the far right end of the airport on international departure level

https://bookings.covid-medical.ca/#/customer/yvr

Bon Voyage (in the Fairmont hotel at the airport)

https://bonvoyage.janeapp.com/locations/bon-voyage-medical-fairmont-vancouver-airport/book#/staff_member/4/treatment/99

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

I’m sorry for anyone whose travel plans are being frustrated by these measures, but is it a cruise lines responsibility?

Airlines never promised testing for this bureaucratic requirement. Cruise companies did, and now they are betraying that promise. 

We sailed on a river ship cruise in Europe last autumn. While we were responsible for paying for all testing, the cruise line took their responsibility for caring for their guests seriously and provided the testing. 

Most of us have no problem paying for this airflight only administrative layer, but we do not appreciate the seemingly uncaring, “dump us off  your on your own” attitude the cruise line has switched to so late in the process.

I suspect when the first Alaskan trip of the season disembarked in Vancouver yesterday, HAL threw their hands up, said “we can’t deal with this”, and quickly dropped their previous promises.

• Like 2

All  the comments are fine but why the Big Lie from HAL about circumstances beyond their control.  They certainly can administer Antigen tests if they wanted to offer the tests.  Seabourn, who is part of the HAL group, had no problem providing those tests on the Ovation to disembarking guests who wanted the tests when we disembarked at Lisbon or Monte Carlo.  If HAL “chooses”,not to provide testing that is one thing, but to claim lack of testing is beyond their control is a pile of you know what.

Hank

• Like 5

Wow, that is sudden! They were still providing onboard testing for guests with flights back to the US just the day before yesterday.
I wonder if they are looking ahead at the US dropping the testing requirement for inbound flights? Canada dropped theirs over a month ago.

38 minutes ago, molly2kit said:

This is rotten news to get at the last minute……

If this information will help anyone

There are 2 testing sites at YVR.  You can make an appointment.  I have done this and had test results in 30 minutes 

CVM Medical at the far right end of the airport on international departure level

https://bookings.covid-medical.ca/#/customer/yvr

Bon Voyage (in the Fairmont hotel at the airport)

https://bonvoyage.janeapp.com/locations/bon-voyage-medical-fairmont-vancouver-airport/book#/staff_member/4/treatment/99

Or just do a proctored test before disembarking or even after disembarking using own tests. Lifecenters.ca offers proctored tests at $20 pp and $5 for each additional, results in 15mins (basically they wait until negative result then email you the official result)

• Thanks 2

I suspect a number of people will cancel their cruises because of this move.  I will stay the course.  I will do the research to find a testing place in Vancouver.  Fortunately, we fly home the next day.  

• Like 2