Question about 'GTY' cabins

SailorPaulH

For an upcoming VOC we have a PS3 'GTY' cabin. I understand that means we will have a PS3 cabin, but when do we know which cabin we will be assigned? Are there are any pros and cons to having a 'GTY' cabin? (This came about when our 2021 cruise was canceled and rescheduled to 2022). Thanks for insights.

Edited by SailorPaulH
typo

8 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

For an upcoming VOC we have a PS3 'GTY' cabin. I understand that means we will have a PS3 cabin, but when do we know which cabin we will be assigned? Are there are any pros and cons to having a 'GTY' cabin? (This came about when our 2021 cruise was canceled and rescheduled to 2022). Thanks for insights.

GTY means you will get a cabin at or above your booked PS3.   We were "upgraded" on our recent cruise but did not get assigned a cabin until we boarded.  J

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

A PS3 GTY means you have a cabin onboard of at least a PS3.

Pros & cons vary depending upon your preferences. If you are happy to win the upgrade lottery and score a Suite, then that is a good benefit. Personally, I consider the suites are located in the worst locations on a ship, so for us it would be a negative.

When you cabin is assigned can vary significantly. At times, we have not had a cabin assigned until we checked in, but I suspect most have a cabin assigned prior to leaving home.

• Thanks 1

One obvious pro is getting on a sailing that you really, really want that is nearly sold out.  One obvious con is ending up with a cabin that you don't want.  We too did not get our cabin assignment until we boarded.  When we decided to go with a  GTY (the ship was almost sold out), we made sure to pick a category where we were OK with all of the locations, passing up a slightly cheaper GTY in the same cabin type.  We ended up with a cabin in the same category that we booked and were completely happy.

7 minutes ago, dd57 said:

One obvious pro is getting on a sailing that you really, really want that is nearly sold out.  One obvious con is ending up with a cabin that you don't want.  We too did not get our cabin assignment until we boarded.  When we decided to go with a  GTY (the ship was almost sold out), we made sure to pick a category where we were OK with all of the locations, passing up a slightly cheaper GTY in the same cabin type.  We ended up with a cabin in the same category that we booked and were completely happy.

This is probably what happened to us. When the 2021 sailing was canceled and we contacted Viking, we were able to get onto the equivalent sailing for 2022, but at that time it was nearly sold out. Not sure what the current situation is as I am hearing of cancellations by customers are happening. This is our first VOC so we hope PS3 works for us - I have not read anything negative about them. 37 months wait done! --- two months to go!

3 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

This is probably what happened to us. When the 2021 sailing was canceled and we contacted Viking, we were able to get onto the equivalent sailing for 2022, but at that time it was nearly sold out. Not sure what the current situation is as I am hearing of cancellations by customers are happening. This is our first VOC so we hope PS3 works for us - I have not read anything negative about them. 37 months wait done! --- two months to go!

There are two ADA cabins in the PS3 category that have a slightly different set up to accommodate a wheelchair.

14 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

There are two ADA cabins in the PS3 category that have a slightly different set up to accommodate a wheelchair.

Hmmm. can you decline those cabins? We don't need those amenities and I wouldn't want to be taking it from someone who might!?

26 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Hmmm. can you decline those cabins? We don't need those amenities and I wouldn't want to be taking it from someone who might!?

A kind thought, but you shouldn't worry about it too much -- or consider declining. Anyone who is already booked and who needs an ADA cabin already has one.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:01 AM, Heidi13 said:

A PS3 GTY means you have a cabin onboard of at least a PS3.

Pros & cons vary depending upon your preferences. If you are happy to win the upgrade lottery and score a Suite, then that is a good benefit. Personally, I consider the suites are located in the worst locations on a ship, so for us it would be a negative.

When you cabin is assigned can vary significantly. At times, we have not had a cabin assigned until we checked in, but I suspect most have a cabin assigned prior to leaving home.

Interesting point I never considered. Why does Viking think a PS up high and well forward (8001) is preferable to lower and more midships (6XXX)?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Interesting point I never considered. Why does Viking think a PS up high and well forward (8001) is preferable to lower and more midships (6XXX)?

Almost all cruise lines do…so perhaps just tradition?  The PS on Deck 8 do have great access to Explorers and the forward viewing deck.   

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Almost all cruise lines do…so perhaps just tradition?  The PS on Deck 8 do have great access to Explorers and the forward viewing deck.   

And aren't on a long hallway?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

It is effective cruise line marketing

• Like 3

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

I don't care what they think. Deck three and 4 are where I want to be, so I will forever be a DV denizen -- low and amidships.  Unless, of course, I get a visit from the Upgrade Fairy telling me the Owner's Suite is mine. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6