Live from Mariner May 5 to 18, 2022

Was also on this cruise.   First time with Regent.  The ship is great with lovely cabins.

Unfortunately had the misfortune of Regent not making arrangements for our pick up at the airport.  No contact phone number given to us for who to call when no one arrived after an hour plus of waiting.

Then, Regent upon arrival at our cabin had "destroyed" corner of suitcase making it no longer useable. They did offer monetary compensation, but then it was up to me to find a replacement suitcase at one of the  ports and transport back on my own to the ship.

No downtown locations for some ports.   Regent did offer shuttle buses at least a 15 to 20 minute ride. 

Shore excursions not organized and many cancelled a few days and then hours before arrival at port with lots of confusion on what would still be offered if any.  Not many "included" excursions.

We did fill in all of the midship and end of ship comment cards.  Never heard back from anyone.

For a luxury line, we feel they fell "short" of promised expectations.  

I thought that the "push" to share a table in the specialty restaurants was not really Covid aware.    

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this thread and really appreciate your running comments.  We recently cancelled three Regent cruises and are undergoing cruise withdrawals.  Reading “live” reports are so great and makes us look forward to when we can return to cruising. Thank you for sharing your cruise with us. 
Z and TB

3 hours ago, scooterj said:

What ports did you visit and works you mind sharing how thee weather was and how you dressed so we know how to pack?  We’re headed out on June 10th on Royals Radiance if the Seas.  Thanks!!

We had sunny and cool weather (highs in 50s and low 60s F) pretty much throughout the cruise. But were told that all that sunniness was unusual. Temps were about normal. It likely will be a little warmer while you are, being a month closer to summer.

Layers were the key to attire. Most days, a light jersey shirt and jeans, with a warm shirt or sweater over it, and a lightly lined slicker or a fleece for the top layer did the job. I brought a fold-up backpack to put the out layers into as the day went on. Some people brought a puffer jacket, which I envied at Hubbard Glacier, since that enabled them to stay out on deck longer to view the spectacular scenery. 

Wishiweretravelling:  you were very lucky.  Although our Alaska cruise on Regent was mostly rainy and cold, it was one of our best cruises ever thanks to all the wildlife we saw and the great Regent experience. 
Z and TB

Not trying to be an apologizer for the excursion problems some of you have noted as they are not acceptable. However, it is worth noting that it seems like many of the early Alaskan cruises (most all brands) this year have been experiencing difficulties with local excursion operators.  Hopefully, these problems will be sorted out quickly!

18 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

Not trying to be an apologizer for the excursion problems some of you have noted as they are not acceptable. However, it is worth noting that it seems like many of the early Alaskan cruises (most all brands) this year have been experiencing difficulties with local excursion operators.  Hopefully, these problems will be sorted out quickly!

@Gretchendz,

On our May 5th Mariner cruise, most of the excursion cancellations were in Icy Strait Point.  The population is diminishing and it’s difficult to get people to work.  A whale watching excursion in Victoria, BC was cancelled due to choppy water.  An issue in Skagway is around bus/trolley drivers.  There is no one at the local motor vehicle office to test and certify drivers.  The closest town with a state driver’s license office is Juneau.  To get the driver and trolley from Skagway on the ferry is costly.  

These and many more cause issues with excursions.

• Like 2

Just wanted to let you know that I heard back from Regent about my concerns/comments on this cruise.  They did apologize for the mishaps and their other comments seem to go back to "things beyond their control" such as tour operators/staffing, etc.

My suggestions if you are planning an Alaskan cruise this year with Regent.

1.  If Regent's agents are to pick you up at the airport, get a local contact name and phone number so you are not left waiting for them.   

2.  Double checked your excursions tickets first day onboard to see if they have any "missing" or they have changed or cancelled the excursion.  The "free" (you paid for them in your cruise cost) are some of the first to go and you will only be offered from Regent $$ excursions.

3. You don't have to accept the offered wines at lunch/dinner.   If you have a preference, they will accommodate you.

4. You also can ask for another table being offered in the main dining room.   If you don't want to look at the kitchen, before being seated ask for your preference.

5.  Know that wifi on this cruise will be iffy.  

6.  You can ask for specific soda/beers for your room refrigerator.  

7.  Regent did a great job on laundry.   I asked for Cold Water wash and it was.

Happy and safe travels.