Sodashire

1 hour ago, Sodashire said:

Anyone else get this email?

Rather late in owning up Silversea management 

819FA399-AF1C-4797-9F8C-EBBB82794640.png

1D4D93A0-297E-40E8-BBDF-404D8C2DFFF5.png

D6C5CD92-EFF3-4C0F-B28D-2ABB4287CD70.png

Very bad.  

Is there a way to delete the personal information we've put into my silversea after a cruise is complete?

I did not receive this and SS certainly did have my personal information at the time of the breach last year.  Could it be that only certain customers were affected?  As I recall, this was when MySS was down for a month and we were assured that no personal information was breached.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

I did not receive this and SS certainly did have my personal information at the time of the breach last year.  Could it be that only certain customers were affected?  As I recall, this was when MySS was down for a month and we were assured that no personal information was breached.

That is correct and there was a statement made to that effect by Barbara Muckermann on the FB SS Guests page at the time. There was also a promise to give a detailed explanation after the systems had been restored, which never happened. Despite all the assurances given the above is extremely worrying and just goes to show how little faith we should have in anything that the COO of SS says. More to the point why has this taken nearly 9 months to be highlighted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sloopjohnb said:

This is horrific!

"a financial account number, a username and/or password for an on-line account"

Does this username and/or password relate to a silversea account or the "financial account"

And that is why Mrs Banjo and I do not do online banking or transfer of funds.  I still love paper checks, or I let my investment house do an old style wire transfer of funds.  Just me being old fashioned and cautious.

I also received this email including 2 years Experian membership so i can check my credit file etc. Wasn’t sure if it was a scam so haven’t done anything about it- it also has divulged passport details,dates of birth, names and addresses so Silversea has been negligent and also it’s taken them too long to admit their error. 
suprised more folk haven’t received it and commented.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

I would be interested in learning if this just affected UK customers.  

I would like to ask that question of my London office SS consultant, but of course he happens to be on holiday, and probably on one of the ships too!

I had 3 cruises booked at the time any many taken ones showing on my silversea which holds passport information but have heard nothing. Could be that I have not been contacted as I always use a TA so my financial dealings are with them. My only financial transactions with SS are the final account onboard. 

However seems very badly handled.

18 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I would like to ask that question of my London office SS consultant, but of course he happens to be on holiday, and probably on one of the ships too!

Back on the 19th. 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

And then he can explain why my 21st Nov Dawn cruise has just been eviscerated, removing every port that we booked it for. No apology, just doing us a favour - Not!

I'm on that cruise and the preceding one - I presume the Cape Verde Islands and Dakar were proving too difficult to deal with.

So an interesting itinerary is now just Canary Islands and Western Med - been there, done that, more than once. I'm just waiting to see how much the promised fare reduction is before deciding whether sailing south in November beats the blah of an unexciting itinerary.

Of course I'll find interesting things to do, any cruise is better than no cruise, but I am very disappointed, I like the Cape Verde islands.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:16 PM, jollyjones said:

I'm on that cruise and the preceding one - I presume the Cape Verde Islands and Dakar were proving too difficult to deal with.

So an interesting itinerary is now just Canary Islands and Western Med - been there, done that, more than once. I'm just waiting to see how much the promised fare reduction is before deciding whether sailing south in November beats the blah of an unexciting itinerary.

Of course I'll find interesting things to do, any cruise is better than no cruise, but I am very disappointed, I like the Cape Verde islands.

We like the Cape Verde islands and that was the main reason for choosing the cruise.

The wording in the email below must have come out of the Marketing playbook, how to upsell disappointment:

ITINERARY UPDATE

In an effort to improve your overall cruise experience with an enhanced Iberian itinerary, Silver Dawn passengers will now be embarking and disembarking their cruise in Lisbon, eliminating the Dakar, Cape Verde, and Western Africa port stops. As a result of this change, we are pleased to announce we will now be sailing Silver Dawn from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean, visiting the Iberian Peninsula’s anchor cities. These changes will enrich your experience with fewer days at sea, more port calls, and the benefit of a better airlift through Lisbon. 

It came with BM's name on it but was probably written by one of her flunkeys.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

We like the Cape Verde islands and that was the main reason for choosing the cruise.

The wording in the email below must have come out of the Marketing playbook, how to upsell disappointment:

ITINERARY UPDATE

In an effort to improve your overall cruise experience with an enhanced Iberian itinerary, Silver Dawn passengers will now be embarking and disembarking their cruise in Lisbon, eliminating the Dakar, Cape Verde, and Western Africa port stops. As a result of this change, we are pleased to announce we will now be sailing Silver Dawn from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean, visiting the Iberian Peninsula’s anchor cities. These changes will enrich your experience with fewer days at sea, more port calls, and the benefit of a better airlift through Lisbon. 

It came with BM's name on it but was probably written by one of her flunkeys.

Whomever wrote that was using one of these:

Gold Shovel Images – Browse 17,174 Stock Photos, Vectors, and Video | Adobe  Stock

Edited by taxatty
  • Haha 1

I suspect that only a specific tranche of customers (UK?) were affected by the IT blip and therefore only they are being contacted.  I have had a number of cruise changes during the last couple of years but have not received the email.   I realise some people are more concerned about these matters than I, I have been advised in the past as being one of the passengers [potentially] affected by IT issues with both British Airways and also Easyjet in the last couple of years but have come to no harm as a result. As for the heavily amended cruise complaint which this thread has drifted into, in these days of Covid and changes in rules and regulations nothing is very certain but if the cruise is not until November then you have plenty of time to cancel it or move to another if the amended itinerary doesnt suit.   I personally find some of the references to Barbara Muckermann and "her flunkies" etc. on this and some other the posts here on Cruise Critic more than disrespectful, they are rude and offensive and say more about the authors than they do about about the people against whom they are directed.

14 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well, so far the promised fare reduction has turned out to be precisely nothing. 
I will pursue it but more in hope than expectation. 

I believe the fare was increased for a short time after we booked. It now appears to have been reduced back to the original booked price. Smoke and mirrors.

• Like 1

Not having any luck with a response from Silversea re the data breach. I have tried calling the so called dedicated telephone number advertised in their email several times over the past days. Comes back as number not recognised. I tried again today and it is working. Yipee I thought. Female answered and I was informed that she knew nothing about it. I asked to be transferred to someone who did. No,  came the answer she was unable to transfer me!!! Alarm bells are starting to ring in my ears and I am considering talking to my solicitor. I have many questions the top one is why has it taken so long for management even to acknowledge there was a problem. Yet again it shows poor land side management. No doubt they have little time for us clients as they are so busy enjoying themselves on board the ships

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sodashire said:

Not having any luck with a response from Silversea re the data breach. I have tried calling the so called dedicated telephone number advertised in their email several times over the past days. Comes back as number not recognised. I tried again today and it is working. Yipee I thought. Female answered and I was informed that she knew nothing about it. I asked to be transferred to someone who did. No,  came the answer she was unable to transfer me!!! Alarm bells are starting to ring in my ears and I am considering talking to my solicitor. I have many questions the top one is why has it taken so long for management even to acknowledge there was a problem. Yet again it shows poor land side management. No doubt they have little time for us clients as they are so busy enjoying themselves on board the ships

Hi Sodashire,

I suggest you bring this issue as a matter of urgency to the attention to the ICO as SS appears to be in serious breach of UK and EU data protection laws (Data Protection Act 2018) which they are obligated to comply with.  To be honest I feel that there is an obligation to inform the ICO to ensure that they are aware and investigate what actions are being take for future protection. In my view, failure to report offers no guaratee that SS will give this the degree of attention and that it will not happen again.  Their IT systems at the moment do appear to be extremely flakey.

Amongst their obligations is an obligation to process information in a secure manner and to inform customers fully and without delay if there is a breach of security.  They must also inform the ICO.  I cannot find any such notice.  Failure to comply can bring fines of up to a maximum amount, of £17.5 million or 4% of the total annual worldwide turnover of the organisation in the preceding financial year, whichever is higher. 

As you will know the ICO haven't been shy of issuing eye-watering fines and organisations must be made to take seriously and be made fully accountable if they  fail to respect their customers and the data they hold on them.  I cannot recall any other breach that has invvolved this level of deep customer data and personal information or of such a delay in informing their customers.  My understanding is that customers whose data has been compromised are entitled to compensation even if they haven't suffered a loss.

I'm sorry to read of your understandable concern and treatment and good luck and best wishes to you and all CC'ers generally in these tough times.

Jeff

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/part/3/enacted

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling and tidying

Good morning Jeff

very many thanks for your response. I shall certainly put the ball into motion on Monday. Silversea land side management has been in a serious decline over recent years. I personally think it is arrogance on their part. However they seem to forget that it is us cruisers who actually pay their wages.

On a separate note do you still have your faithful ‘Helga’ (the car for those who do not know)?

47 minutes ago, Sodashire said:

Good morning Jeff

very many thanks for your response. I shall certainly put the ball into motion on Monday. Silversea land side management has been in a serious decline over recent years. I personally think it is arrogance on their part. However they seem to forget that it is us cruisers who actually pay their wages.

On a separate note do you still have your faithful ‘Helga’ (the car for those who do not know)?

Hi,  ...  pleased to help. 

You might recall that BA were originally informed by the ICO that they intended to fine them £183.39m and they allowed BA to plead mitigation.   The mitigation was largely the precautions they had taken including seperate customer data on seperate systems, the speed at which they repaired the problem and the promptness and clarity in which they informed customers and they had the fine reduced to £20m. SS may not be so "lucky" with any mitigation rationale. Good luck with putting the ball into motion.

Yes - it's lovely your should remember Helga. She still must be obeyed.  Her whole job remains solely to get us to Seaside and back remains totally impractical, and to this date she has only 27k miles on the clock so I guess she is very young for her increasing age but the boss will not even discuss replacement and she says "hi ......"

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff