Kmom on Carnival Radiance Semi-Live May 30-June 3, 2022 - FOURTH time on Carnival since resumption of cruising

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! (Note: will promo on 5/29/22)"

KmomChicago was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hi, all. I don't always start a preview / review so far in advance, but I have some information about our booking that I want to share before I forget it, plus I have some time this weekend. 

We'll fly from O'Hare to LAX three weeks from today.  Here's our itinerary. 

image.png.6057b8ef88424ca746fc32181a365b06.png

• Like 4

It's interesting reading all about the frustrations folks have reported on Carnival since resumption, but we've been doing, well, just fine is all I can say.  I think we have lower expectations than some others but this will be our fourth cruise in less than a year and all on poor old crappy, much disparaged Carnival, which we love, because we don't know any better - 

Mardi Gras, second sailing on a brand new ship, August 2021

Legend, Christmas sailing, December 2021

Vista, just last week, April 2022

I live reviewed them all and will do my best on Radiance as well.  

I am particularly excited about this cruise, because our first Carnival cruise was on Triumph, March 2017. This was DH and the teen's first cruise ever, though I had a history back in the day with my mom. My last cruise with her was weeks after 9/11 on Celebrity Millennium, and it was as stunning, brand-new ship, a luxurious experience, great food, and I was: A little bored.  

I was in my mid-thirties, and interested in a more active type of boots-on-the-ground, deep-dive location based travel.  I visited New York City and probably walked 100 miles in a week around that time. I had busy land vacations in China, Italy, the Netherlands, Mexico, and Peru.  I wasn't quite Hike-The-Inca-Trail adventurous, but we did spend two days climbing around Machu Picchu after having walked extensively around Lima, Cusco, Sacsayhuaman and Ollantaytambo (additional Inca ruins).  

We walked a ton at all the other locations as well and visited a mix of the mandatory tourist places and off-the-beaten-path hidden gems. So at that point in my life, which is when I did pretty much all my bucket list travel, cruises were not a great fit. 

I remember a very nice Celebrity officer seeing me sitting around somewhere looking glum and striking up a conversation.  She was obviously disappointed when I told her there was absolutely nothing they could or should do different to improve my experience, that relaxing and being pampered were simply not what I wanted in my life right now.  I told her this ship is incredible, fabulous, service is excellent, and that I needed to take a break from cruising for a while. And so I did. 

Sixteen years later, after a divorce, a new marriage, a baby, move from Florida back home to Illinois, a perfect schedule and price put us on a 5 nighter out of New Orleans, and we were all hooked. 

• Like 6

ANYWAY, Radiance is, as you probably already know, a former Destiny class ship, recently "Sunshined" into its new identity. We have never sailed on the same Carnival ship (or class) twice, but this will feel like something of a return in spirit, as it's a sister ship to Sunrise, formerly TRIUMPH. I am interested to see how I like the changes. I already know I'm not going to like what they do to the showroom, but I expect I will appreciate the refresh of the decor.

Both Mardi Gras and Vista decor is sleek, clean, and modern, more or less like the two RCI's we've done, Oasis and Adventure of the Seas. Legend decor is, of course, NOT what I would call sleek or modern, and while we enjoyed the cruise and the ship, I suppose I do prefer the cleaner look. 

• Like 1

We are traveling in two adjacent rooms, a party of four, hubby and I, teen and teen's guest. I booked it in January, originally in 2 porthole upper/lower rooms, category 1A.  The price was reasonable, based on back in The Before, for a summer / school break sailing. 

Just a week before final payment date in March, prices had dropped and I was able to move us to Oceanview, Category 6B, and knock it down about $100 per room in the bargain.

And it all seemed to be going just great.  And then. . . something happened. 

• Like 1

I was settling in to my room at the conference last week, and decided, since Vista was in the books, to take a look a the Hub App which should now be hollerin' at me about yet another sea voyage only weeks henceforth. 

BUT THE HUB REPORTED I HAD NO BOOKINGS. 

• Haha 1

Luckily I had free time Sunday to call Carnival and sort it all out. I was on the phone for a long time with my agent, must have been well into an hour and probably then some. But in the end, we ended up with a lower rate once again, now in spa balcony category 8P. 

• Like 4

When I made the change from the porthole to the oceanview rooms, Easy Pay had been inadvertently removed from the booking. And so, one week later, the $$ did not come off the credit card on file, a few days after that the bookings were cancelled, and we were charged two $400 penalties. EIGHT HUNDRED BUCKAROONIES!

After a lot of time while she kept calling and texting her supervisors, my phone agent got the original reservations and the $400 penalty money restored, but the problem was that prices had gone down again and the policy is you can reinstate, but not for less than you were paying at the time of cancellation.  

Follow me here - and I assume this is the last of the pandemic bargains this year with people still not cruising because of vaccinations and tests - right now the spa balcony room is cheaper than my initial booking in 1A, and my subsequent change to a lower fare for 6B.  Still cheaper. Only about 40 dollars per room, but still, cheaper. And during a school break. Which to be fair, the first week of June is always the cheapest summer week to book a cruise, but usually more $$ than spring break and of course off season. Not to mention, maybe not quite so sizzling hot. Win win.

In fact, this spa balcony room is now the fanciest room left on this sailing - suites are sold out - and it's still less than the insides were booking back in January. 

They really did not want to give me the spa rooms for less than I had agreed to pay as of the March date prior to the cancellation, and I suggested they do some kind of manual override (I don't think the system allows that from a technical standpoint) but as I very nicely pointed out that was THEIR mistake, not mine (the agent should have taken care of transferring Easy Pay at the time), they decided to go ahead and give me the rooms for the current rate.

So now I am about $150 per room down from the original cost and in the most upgraded room available and one I would never have expected to be in (because I'm cheap and it's not worth it to me). 

If I had not yet booked anything, I would actually be saving about half of the cost of the cruise as the pricing is in double digits right now for insides. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 6

Wonderful result - are your balconies still adjoining? From my reading of the cabin specs for Deck 11, it appears that all the balconies have no cover (no shade) and none of the partitions open up between them. Just an FYI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Wonderful result - are your balconies still adjoining? From my reading of the cabin specs for Deck 11, it appears that all the balconies have no cover (no shade) and none of the partitions open up between them. Just an FYI.

We’re on Deck 10 and yes still adjoining. The balcony partition isn’t a big deal to us either way. If it’s an option, fine. If not, we’ll barely notice.

Looking forward to this! Victory was our first cruise in 2004 and we sailed her three times after that. We sailed Sunrise in 2019 for a short 4-day Bermuda cruise and you could see some of the old Triumph designs like the globes on door handles. From what I've seen of Radiance it doesn't look like they kept much, but I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Spa Deck balconies aren't my favorite - I don't like their being open overhead - but hey, a balcony as you described is a deal!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Looking forward to this! Victory was our first cruise in 2004 and we sailed her three times after that. We sailed Sunrise in 2019 for a short 4-day Bermuda cruise and you could see some of the old Triumph designs like the globes on door handles. From what I've seen of Radiance it doesn't look like they kept much, but I'll be interested in your thoughts.

Spa Deck balconies aren't my favorite - I don't like their being open overhead - but hey, a balcony as you described is a deal!

Right, we are on deck 10, so it looks like deck 11 will cover us? But if not it's not much of a big deal after starting out with the portholes. And if we don't like them then I'm happy to learn we don't like them this way rather than paying a premium for them.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Right, we are on deck 10, so it looks like deck 11 will cover us? But if not it's not much of a big deal after starting out with the portholes. And if we don't like them then I'm happy to learn we don't like them this way rather than paying a premium for them.

It's deck 11 that's open, not 10, so you should have a cover. Our first Victory cruise was a balcony on deck 10 and we loved the location. Looking at the deck plans, they've classified deck 10 balconies as "Cloud 9 spa balconies," while the spa itself is deck 11.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

It's deck 11 that's open, not 10, so you should have a cover. Our first Victory cruise was a balcony on deck 10 and we loved the location. Looking at the deck plans, they've classified deck 10 balconies as "Cloud 9 spa balconies," while the spa itself is deck 11.

Sounds like we win!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Don't forget to pack glucose pills just in case.

Literally everywhere I go for the rest of my life. I have Life Savers candies in my purse now, which I never did before. I think I have about 3-5 minutes warning - now that I know what was happening I can recognize it and pop one as soon as I feel a bit "funny." I did so a couple times in San Antonio - one day I was out walking by myself for about an hour and when I got a little warm I thought I might be at risk so I chewed a couple up and I was fine, though I also did head back to the hotel and A/C as soon as there was any hint of getting overheated. 

I know I went on and on with the details but maybe it helps someone else in the future. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Honestly I have no idea if we will benefit in any way from these rooms being Cloud 9, other than a different, upgraded design look than we usually get.  It says we get unlimited thermal suites. Is that just a sauna and a steam room? The kids are under 18 so they don't get to use them anyway and I doubt DH and I would even bother. Maybe I will get to see my neighbors, what kind of fancy people have been staying in Cloud 9 all this time while we chumps are off in the bargain basement (except of course when I stayed in a Grand Suite with my mom last Christmas on Legend. Those people didn't look any different than anyone else).  

image.thumb.png.9b9b0c65cee2d43178c0c5eee3650de6.png

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Literally everywhere I go for the rest of my life. I have Life Savers candies in my purse now, which I never did before. I think I have about 3-5 minutes warning - now that I know what was happening I can recognize it and pop one as soon as I feel a bit "funny." I did so a couple times in San Antonio - one day I was out walking by myself for about an hour and when I got a little warm I thought I might be at risk so I chewed a couple up and I was fine, though I also did head back to the hotel and A/C as soon as there was any hint of getting overheated. 

I know I went on and on with the details but maybe it helps someone else in the future. 

I guess Life Savers is a very appropriate name for those candies. 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

During the Birthday sale I was able to get a balcony on both the Panorama and Radiance for April, 2024 at half price.  I even got one of those L shaped balconies on the Radiance.  Looking forward to your review.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Honestly I have no idea if we will benefit in any way from these rooms being Cloud 9, other than a different, upgraded design look than we usually get.  It says we get unlimited thermal suites. Is that just a sauna and a steam room? 

You will get access to the Thermal Suite. While it doesn't have a Thalassotherapy pool, it does have a room with a wall of windows that holds about 10 heated tile loungers, which are very nice to relax in. There's also a aromatherapy steam room, a typical hot sauna, and another sauna, not quite as hot that has a wall of Himalayan salt blocks. Very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been on the Radiance twice now and have 2 more paid for😀 One the 3 day just before your cruise. Needless to say I love this ship. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, nybumpkin said:

Victory was our first cruise in 2004 and we sailed her three times after that.

I was on the very last sailing.  We actually just made it back before cruising was halted.  Really loved the seahorse decor.  Wanted to ask for one of the little seahorse tables from the atrium lol.  Want to cruise Radiance at some point, but don't like the current short itineraries.

Am hoping @KmomChicago will share pics.  😊

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

I was on the very last sailing.  We actually just made it back before cruising was halted.  Really loved the seahorse decor.  Wanted to ask for one of the little seahorse tables from the atrium lol.  Want to cruise Radiance at some point, but don't like the current short itineraries.

I know a fair number of people who bruised their shins on the seahorses on the stairways, but I liked them.🙂 One of my complaints about the newer ships (without having been aboard Mardi Gras) is that they all have the same decor. Although I often said "What was Farcus thinking?" about some of his designs, at least they were unique.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JGB said:

I have been on the Radiance twice now and have 2 more paid for😀 One the 3 day just before your cruise. Needless to say I love this ship. 

Great to hear, JGB. I am sure we will love it. We have liked all our cruises.

43 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

HI, Tigger. I will absolutely share pics. 

31 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

I know a fair number of people who bruised their shins on the seahorses on the stairways, but I liked them.🙂 One of my complaints about the newer ships (without having been aboard Mardi Gras) is that they all have the same decor. Although I often said "What was Farcus thinking?" about some of his designs, at least they were unique.

I agree. So the truth is, Art Deco and Mid-century Modern are my favorite styles. I like clean geometry; it's what I've always been drawn to. At Disney World, the Contemporary is my favorite resort. 

However, I also appreciate the anything goes, you'll never see anything like this again, you never could have thought of this yourself, uniqueness of Farcus ships. (Likewise I appreciate all the different Disney Resorts, from the gorgeous Polynesian Village to the giant icons all over All Star Sports). 

I thus have mixed feelings about Farcus ships. For me, they are looking a little tired, but I don't know if that's because his style is now out of style, or if the ships are just worn out.  They've been beat to crap with decades of passengers. We like them regardless, but after Mardi Gras I have to admit Legend, while a good overall design as far as layout and use of space, did not wow me or impress me like Mardi Gras did. 

As much as we enjoyed Vista last week, and we really did, and it is a beautiful ship, there's no question it lacks that signature, what-will-he-think-of-next, "je ne sais quoi" that only Farcus can bring.