Emerald Azzurra Anyone?

FlossieC

On 9/7/2022 at 2:37 AM, murraylee said:

Morning all. WE are on the ship 1/10/22 from Dubrovnik

Any fellow travellers on here 

And any information updates to share from earlier cruises?

T I A

We are just off the September 3rd Dubrovnik to Athens sailing and found the trip delightful. The crew quickly learns your name and preferences and it really started to feel like it was our own private yacht. Executive Chef Li did an excellent job in his kitchen and the Captain and Hotel Manager seemed to always be available for questions and comments. All in All we were very well pleased and am sure that you will be likewise!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 2onboardagain said:

We are just off the September 3rd Dubrovnik to Athens sailing and found the trip delightful. The crew quickly learns your name and preferences and it really started to feel like it was our own private yacht. Executive Chef Li did an excellent job in his kitchen and the Captain and Hotel Manager seemed to always be available for questions and comments. All in All we were very well pleased and am sure that you will be likewise!

Thats great thanks for the information

You’re breaking my heart!  I am still recovering from my COVID which caused us to miss the trip.  I have filed my claim with the travel insurance company.  We did purchase pandemic coverage so I should get my money back.

Emerald does not offer any compensation or discount on future cruises so our entire cruise fare was to their coffers.  We paid over $800 for the insurance and expect full reimbursement from the insurance company.  Our only out-of-pocket loss should be the insurance premium.  We have been looking into a cruise with Emerald for next year.  When we asked for some relief (discount equal to insurance premium or price the 2023 cruise at the 2022 price list) we were told no.  I got sick on August 30, 2022.  Airlines and hotels fully booked refunded us all our monies and points.  Not Emerald’s style.

I’m a little disappointed by that but hey…..I’m a big boy…I’ll get over it.  Just thought they might have been a bit more understanding.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

one final point for future cruisers…..make sure to get insurance!

My wife was diagnosed with A-Fib a few days before we were scheduled for a land trip in Italy, and her doctor didn't want her to travel until it was stabilized.  The tour company had made it clear that they would not reimburse any costs no matter what.  Out travel insurance covered all costs [except insurance premium, of course].  We weren't disappointed – this was the deal we signed up for.

Don  that is too bad  they do not have some  sort of FCC they would offer  for covid related cancellations

I guess they expect guest to just get on the ship even with covid ??

Hope your insurance comes through for you

30 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My wife was diagnosed with A-Fib a few days before we were scheduled for a land trip in Italy, and her doctor didn't want her to travel until it was stabilized.  The tour company had made it clear that they would not reimburse any costs no matter what.  Out travel insurance covered all costs [except insurance premium, of course].  We weren't disappointed – this was the deal we signed up for.

You’re right…..that’s what I signed up for.  Just hoped they would have made a token offer.  My eyes were open and like I said I’m disappointed I didn’t also get to go on our 50th anniversary celebration.

10 hours ago, Don P said:

You’re breaking my heart!  I am still recovering from my COVID which caused us to miss the trip.  I have filed my claim with the travel insurance company.  We did purchase pandemic coverage so I should get my money back.

Emerald does not offer any compensation or discount on future cruises so our entire cruise fare was to their coffers.  We paid over $800 for the insurance and expect full reimbursement from the insurance company.  Our only out-of-pocket loss should be the insurance premium.  We have been looking into a cruise with Emerald for next year.  When we asked for some relief (discount equal to insurance premium or price the 2023 cruise at the 2022 price list) we were told no.  I got sick on August 30, 2022.  Airlines and hotels fully booked refunded us all our monies and points.  Not Emerald’s style.

I’m a little disappointed by that but hey…..I’m a big boy…I’ll get over it.  Just thought they might have been a bit more understanding.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

one final point for future cruisers…..make sure to get insurance!

I didn't mean to open a wound Don. Hope you are feeling better! Some companies just don't seem to get that a little good will can pay more "word of mouth" dividends than all the advertisement that they can afford. We had a bitter experience with NCL years ago that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My Brother had a career in the Navy as an oral surgeon and while he was stationed at Pearl Harbor we decided to visit him for Christmas and since family visits should have limits of no more than one week in duration and since Honolulu is a long way to go for just a week we decided that after our visit with him we would book NCL's 7 night Hawaii cruise. Well, some things just are not to be and before final payment on that cruise My brother received orders that his skills were needed ASAP with the Marines in South Carolina and he would no longer be in Hawaii for Christmas that year. As we had non-refundable air line tickets with United Airlines, I called them first and they couldn't have been nicer. Because my change of plans was the result of Military Orders, United gave us a full refund on those "non-refundable" tickets (and I still sing their praises to this day). On the other hand, NCL refused to refund our deposit even though they resold our cabin weeks before that scheduled cruise (in effect they collected two deposits on the same cabin and needless to say I have nothing nice to say about NCL to this day).

I really don't understand why Companies don't realize the amout of Good Will advertising they lose by such inflexibility. I think Emerald is being bone headed in your case since you are interested in a future cruise. You might be interested in mentioning to them that they were offering a 5% discount on future cruises while we were on board (with no money down) and at the very least they should offer you that deal since you absolutely would have preferred to be on the Azzurra rather than dealing with Covid.

Wishing you the Best of Luck!

John

3 hours ago, 2onboardagain said:

On the other hand, NCL refused to refund our deposit even though they resold our cabin weeks before that scheduled cruise (in effect they collected two deposits on the same cabin and needless to say I have nothing nice to say about NCL to this day).

Sorry  off topic

I thought deposits were refundable   with NCL before the final payment date  or did they have a special non refundable deal like some other lines do?

Well I guess  so much for their "Cruise  with Confidence"

https://www.emeraldcruises.ca/emeraldexperience/cruise-with-confidence

I would expect  them to allow those  with covid  to rebook  at a later date  at least

In these times even though you are careful  you can get covid

Other lines  were offering FCC for those that tested positive

I guess  if you feel OK to travel then just go  & spread covid  to others  is what Emerald wants

I was interested in this cruise line  but  will move on

Don  feel better soon  & hope the insurance comes through for you

4 hours ago, 2onboardagain said:

I didn't mean to open a wound Don. Hope you are feeling better! Some companies just don't seem to get that a little good will can pay more "word of mouth" dividends than all the advertisement that they can afford. We had a bitter experience with NCL years ago that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My Brother had a career in the Navy as an oral surgeon and while he was stationed at Pearl Harbor we decided to visit him for Christmas and since family visits should have limits of no more than one week in duration and since Honolulu is a long way to go for just a week we decided that after our visit with him we would book NCL's 7 night Hawaii cruise. Well, some things just are not to be and before final payment on that cruise My brother received orders that his skills were needed ASAP with the Marines in South Carolina and he would no longer be in Hawaii for Christmas that year. As we had non-refundable air line tickets with United Airlines, I called them first and they couldn't have been nicer. Because my change of plans was the result of Military Orders, United gave us a full refund on those "non-refundable" tickets (and I still sing their praises to this day). On the other hand, NCL refused to refund our deposit even though they resold our cabin weeks before that scheduled cruise (in effect they collected two deposits on the same cabin and needless to say I have nothing nice to say about NCL to this day).

I really don't understand why Companies don't realize the amout of Good Will advertising they lose by such inflexibility. I think Emerald is being bone headed in your case since you are interested in a future cruise. You might be interested in mentioning to them that they were offering a 5% discount on future cruises while we were on board (with no money down) and at the very least they should offer you that deal since you absolutely would have preferred to be on the Azzurra rather than dealing with Covid.

Wishing you the Best of Luck!

John

John,

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I totally agree with your thoughts regarding how much good will one can generate with a minimalist effort.  We remain impressed with the Azzurra and its forthcoming sister ship and.....if the price is right.... will consider it again.  We've had the exact same experience with United and Marriott.  Both fully understood our plight and were quick to offer alternatives that were more than acceptable.  You didn't salt my wound John and I'm glad to know that you and your spouse thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Maybe Emerald will be willing to offer that 5% discount.  I'll let you know.

Don P.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Sorry  off topic

I thought deposits were refundable   with NCL before the final payment date  or did they have a special non refundable deal like some other lines do?

Thanks for jogging my memory (as it was a good number of years ago) as I now recall, we had made final payment and were in the "penalty phase" for cancellation so they withheld the equivalent of the deposit when they returned the balance of our payment. Glad you got me thinking about it so my mind could get it right!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 2onboardagain said:

In so many ways Emerald "aimed to please" all it's passengers, right down to both a coffee maker and a tea kettle in each cabin.

305600542_10229163240371993_8797548020959193439_n.jpg

Are these in the basic  balcony cabins or just the deluxe Balcony cabins??

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Are these in the basic  balcony cabins or just the deluxe Balcony cabins??

I can't answer that for sure, but as Coffee & Tea making facilities were not listed for our balcony cabin in their brochure, yet they were there in our cabin  I am guessing that they are available in all the cabins. By "deluxe balcony cabins" do you mean suites? (we were in what they refer to as a Balcony Stateroom)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2onboardagain said:

I can't answer that for sure, but as Coffee & Tea making facilities were not listed for our balcony cabin in their brochure, yet they were there in our cabin  I am guessing that they are available in all the cabins. By "deluxe balcony cabins" do you mean suites? (we were in what they refer to as a Balcony Stateroom)

They list 

Balcony Suite   (A & B)

Deluxe Balcony Suite  (S)

https://www.emeraldcruises.ca/our-fleet/our-yachts/emerald-azzurra-sakara

So my wife and I just got back from 2 weeks on the Azzurra (Venice to Athens)... The trip went very, very smoothly.  This "roll call" really helped me to understand what to expect.  Thank you to all who contributed.  Since we were on the ship for 2 weeks, we really "got into the groove" (so to speak).  The ship is a dream (but small).  The ship tends to travel while you are sleeping so you find yourself in port a lot (either on your own or with an excursion).  The food was great, the ports were great as were all the people you meet (both cruisers as wells as staff).  If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer as best I can.   (As far as drinks, we paid on average $7 per drink...but I typically drink beer.  The prices were reasonable, but there seems to be many times when drinks are being handed out--like at the "sail-away" or at other "special occasions".  With beer and wine being offered during lunch and dinner, we found that we really didn't need to purchase too many drinks on board and found ourselves going for a quick drink at the port town.... Hope this helps!)   Ron

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 8:20 AM, 2onboardagain said:

In so many ways Emerald "aimed to please" all it's passengers, right down to both a coffee maker and a tea kettle in each cabin.

305600542_10229163240371993_8797548020959193439_n.jpg

Wait until you see what Scenic Eclipse has...

You'll love it , John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2022 at 5:34 AM, NicoleAbbate said:

wondering if there is anyone else on this sailing.

Yes, (JoAnn & Bob--north of Houston).  We just returned from an enjoyable Emerald cruise on the Douro and are starting to plan pre-cruise DIY tours in Israel and, hopefully, Petra & Wadi Rum.  We would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has crossed the border at Eilat and any recommendations for value-oriented tour operators in the Holy Land. (We had hoped to depart a combined Israel/Jordan tour after Wadi Rum at Wadi Araba, but it sounds like that may be too complex).