Semi-Live Norwegian Joy to Bermuda - Norfolk, VA - May 8, 2022

mking8288

Thanks, everyone - please don't get too worried (or else, I wouldn't be banging away on the keyboard now - although, will probably call it an early night to get some extra sleep).  

My symptoms onset was maybe half a day ahead of hers and milder, I'm doing okay & felt improving where Mrs. still running a fever, taking OTC after calling her PCP for a tele-consult, as she has a bit more risk factor than me.  I've debated to call up to the ship's MC earlier yesterday after doing a DIY rapid test but figured that, at the end of the cruise - they aren't going to do much for us anyway, unless / except ...  We just started isolating & mask up when we stepped out of our suite - onboard shopping was done mid-week (thankfully, or else, the NR OBC would've gone to waste)

Some of the random thoughts & comments about our two "SC" suites (Family Insides w Virtual Balconies) specific/unique to the Joy - trying to keep this thread on topic & not go off-topic or sidelined ... I tossed in my two cents about them as reflections / post-cruise "opinions" in another thread started recently by another CC'er - link is here if you wish to read my subjective impressions.  It doesn't affect most and only of interest when cruising on the Joy & booking (or planning to / already booked) one of the suites (or, maybe - possibly upgrade bid for one)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2850595-20-service-fee-for-a-suite-that-has-no-suite-perks/#comment-63214876

• Like 1

Sorry to read about your "health update", definitely not a good way to end a vacation. Although past reviews "pre- covid" I believe folks used to call it "cruise crud" ! Which by the sounds of it was quite common back then. Obviously different situation now days. We hope you continue with only mild symptoms and have a quick recovery. Our best wishes to all of you!!

• Thanks 1

Okay, I'm going to resume and return to regular "programming" - that I promised to do, post-cruise, including an overview, review of being onboard the Joy, first time sailing this ship ... which is very similar, not carbon copy of the *Away/+ class ships (the layout are largely familiar but also a little different, i.e. the Observation Lounge, Deck 15 Fwd and the Garden Cafe, Deck 16 Fwd and the open air / sun deck with the "pool".  LeBistro moved up to Deck 8 AFT (instead of Moderno)  Tappenyaki expanded & moved across to Port Side on Deck 6.  "The Local" replaced O'Sheehan's and has a modern, sleek look to it, cool but ****  District Brew House & Food Republic at their usual locations on similar mega ships.  

**** Comment: The Local has a lot of elevated tables & high stools, great for bar drinks with a young crowd as audience, but not "accessible" friendly if you got seniors in the group.  The host/ess need to use their thinking head & no excuse to not be familiar with their seating charts and table setup - do you really expect mature adults aged 70+ to be happy or comfortable being able to lift their legs and sit high up while overlooking the atrium for a comfort meal ??? 🧐 🙄 😳  especially when there are plenty of tables & it's not full, nor was there ever a line to wait of more than 4 or 5 parties from different staterooms.  Or, at least "ask" if some of us in the group of 6, mind or not - maybe, we like a regular (height) table or one of the booths that seat 6 - duh !! 

Training, customer care & being attentive, and not really asking to go above & beyond - just common sense, hello - and seas were calm then.  (Okay, maybe good old Henry is in a grumpy mood tonight - but "they" wanted this message and words to be put out here as FYI) 

Let's talk about my thoughts about specific cabin locations to avoid / book - if considering one of the bareboned SC Suites - specific to the Joy.   Recounted the total - 31 of these and for an upcoming Joy sailing, almost at final payment & cancellation penalty-free deadline, only 4 of them booked ... I wonder why.  

Deck 15 Fwd - there are only 2 of these, they are pretty forward - good if you are in one of the Haven suites nearby, or have one of the balcony or club nearby, and ...  Convenient access to the Spa, Lounge and Observation Deck, etc. - then, consider booking it.  Otherwise, I would book nothing higher than 14, if we're to stay in these again.  The 6 "jurors" are still out in conference.

Deck 14 - there are 3 in Fwd, quite a walk from the front elevators & stairs ... not really desirable to us, and if your sailing run into another storm at sea like we did or simply worried about motion-sickness ... don't book it.  There are 4 behind the front elevators, more MIDship in locations, those should be fine, convenient (it is above the Medical Center ... not an issue, I think)

Deck 12 - Deck 11 - both have 8 SC on each floor - avoid 12531 and 12537, avoid 11527 and 11531 layout is fine, roomier living room - see below for why.

Deck 10 - avoid 10537 and 10453 - like Deck 11 & 12 above, these are port side ones, we took plenty of photos ... the problem is the white space next door - it's crew space used for storage & supplies, a huge room with double doors, also a place where several of them (crew) sometimes come & go during their extended work hours - doors closing & opening, we can heard them in the main bedroom (10453) - if you desire peace & extra quiet, like to sleep late, etc. - book a different one instead, plenty of vacant ones still available. 

These suites used to come with extra perks, privileges and "benefits" - most of them discontinued, dropped and no longer included or available - the pro's being the extra space to share.  But, that pullout sofa is, when fully setup, IMHO - very tight to sleep 2 adults comfortably (didn't have a tape measure with us) - more of a full size bed together than being a queen bed ... fine for children & maybe teens only, good for one grown-up to sleep on.  Unless they have a rollaway bed/foam mattress to pair up, I just didn't find or see any hidden slide-out, too "cozy" for comfort.  The smaller bedroom has a single bed, and an hidden upper bunk that most seasoned CC'er that sailed NCL are familiar with.  Can you imagine older adults using the top bunk ... no way, period.  Thus, these suites are good for really 4  adults (or, seniors) at most - an extra one (sleep 5) if a family is booking this with children/youth.  

The other issues we had, was the height of the bathtub in the main bedroom, similar to the ones in the (formerly mini-suites) or Club Balcony "Suite" with bathtub - truly had to lift your leg up & high to climb over to get into & out of the tub.  All 3 seniors in the other suite ended up using the walk-in shower, more "accessible by design & friendly" - nothing can be done about these, maybe at a future dry dock ... The soft-touch sliding clear doors made a lot of noise, banging & closing / opening throughout stormy weather when we've rocking & rolling with 30+ feet rough seas, had to improvise with towels & clips to stop them from moving around.  

Minor / misc. details (not a deal-breaker "thing" that I've noticed) Someone help explain what these holes were once used to anchor what ?? - inside the bathtub ?? and there's another hole behind the toilet area on the wall ??  Strange & odds, obviously no longer used or needed - it's not difficult to seal it up with a dab of flexible, water-proof & moisture-proof silicone, I think.  Hint - it looks better too and very easily done ... unless it is just our "suite" (wait, who is allowed to bring a cordless onboard)  That's called attention to details, especially if NCL is (continuing to) market these as "suites" - but, not so sure we can buy into it again - let our 6 jurors continue to deliberate further, for now.  

PXL_20220512_141515142.MP.jpg

PXL_20220512_141526545.jpg

PXL_20220512_141536550.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Just think for a moment, if these were the results last Friday - would've ended up with denied boarding and ...  Somehow & somewhere, between Sunday and yesterday, while on this cruise - we became unlucky.  

Get well soon! I wish you both the best of health.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cmjars said:

Thank you for taking the time to share. We are going on the same cruise in July. Your feedback was very helpful. We are a party of 13 so we will probably have to breakup for meals.

We are a party of 17 going on the Breakaway in July.  My Mom called and had us all put under a group, the personal CC that she worked with was able to get a reservation for all 17 of us in the Manhattan room for three nights of the seven day cruise.  We used Karen Duncan.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Or, at least "ask" if some of us in the group of 6, mind or not - maybe, we like a regular (height) table or one of the booths that seat 6 - duh !! 

I'm not yet 40 and have always abhorred high tops! It's not age good sir...they're just not comfortable tables. Give me a booth any day. 

• Like 2

WOW - thanks so much for all the details!!!   I watched you ship leave port in NYC and dock in Bermuda (love those port web cams!).  Do you remember which of the sit down restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day?   Again - thanks for posting - loved your frank comments.  I am really looking forward to being on the Joy in a few weeks!

On 5/14/2022 at 10:32 PM, peg013 said:

Thank you! It's getting tougher and tougher these days. It seemed like someone else was going to coordinate the M&G and then nothing but crickets....so I finally took over. We have many signed up, I just hope half of them show up! NCL is expecting 40 and right now we are up to 79 signed up for the M&G. Unusual for a 7 night cruise but the whole TA thing is easier when everyone is keeping each other straight on what is expected. 

Interesting about your experience with the M&G.  The roll call for our cruise was started well over a year ago with the OP stating she would take care of the M&G and slot pull,  She has not come back to the roll call since October, so we aren't even sure if she is still sailing with us,  I have done several M&Gs so I could take over if necessarym but don't want to step on her toes,  At what point did you decide to take over?  Thanks again!

@bjtravelnews - Both Taste & Savor are / should be open for embarkation lunch at noon (thru 1:30 pm) - that's usually where we head, and especially these days, I would highly recommend not going up to the buffet (ships will probably be at a high occupancy level / #'s in June as summer/school holidays kick up).  Slow walking seniors in tow, 2 of them falling way behind - we ate last Sunday at "The Local" - food was good, services was acceptable & slow, our delayed orders were partially missing - despite the apologies from our server (we're onboard much "earlier" than most) and a follow-up by one of the asst. manager on duty ... how could they possibly digitally mixed up food ordered using their tablets, hmmm - I just dunno.  

Between this month & next month, many of the crew members onboard are due for vacation - there is going to be rotation & replacement coming onboard soon.  Not all of them are coming back to the Joy for the next contract.  One of the hostess we're become friendly with in "Taste" is going home for 3.5 months in early June, missed her family (children, I presume - didn't ask, as a matter of privacy) very much & it's not easy to live onboard - she loved sleeping extra hours when she has a chance - will be moving to a different ship.  A number of MDR servers have been NCL since the Norwegian Sea(ward) days so we had good laughs about those days with much smaller ships, and some're with the Joy since its original China market deployment.  Overall, the crew members as a whole are excellent and friendly, they aren't perfect in everything, but tried hard to please when possible, with a smile - always say hello when paths are crossed in those narrow corridor passage.  Wish you a wonderful cruise shortly on the Joy.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@bjtravelnews - Both Taste & Savor are / should be open for embarkation lunch at noon (thru 1:30 pm) - that's usually where we head, and especially these days, I would highly recommend not going up to the buffet (ships will probably be at a high occupancy level / #'s in June as summer/school holidays kick up).  Slow walking seniors in tow, 2 of them falling way behind - we ate last Sunday at "The Local" - food was good, services was acceptable & slow, our delayed orders were partially missing - despite the apologies from our server (we're onboard much "earlier" than most) and a follow-up by one of the asst. manager on duty ... how could they possibly digitally mixed up food ordered using their tablets, hmmm - I just dunno.  

Between this month & next month, many of the crew members onboard are due for vacation - there is going to be rotation & replacement coming onboard soon.  Not all of them are coming back to the Joy for the next contract.  One of the hostess we're become friendly with in "Taste" is going home for 3.5 months in early June, missed her family (children, I presume - didn't ask, as a matter of privacy) very much & it's not easy to live onboard - she loved sleeping extra hours when she has a chance - will be moving to a different ship.  A number of MDR servers have been NCL since the Norwegian Sea(ward) days so we had good laughs about those days with much smaller ships, and some're with the Joy since its original China market deployment.  Overall, the crew members as a whole are excellent and friendly, they aren't perfect in everything, but tried hard to please when possible, with a smile - always say hello when paths are crossed in those narrow corridor passage.  Wish you a wonderful cruise shortly on the Joy.  

Thanks so much for the information.  We always try to avoid the buffet on the first day because of the crowds,  Did you get on the ship on deck 5?  It would be easy to walk up one flight of stairs to Taste and Savor.

@bjtravelnews It's me again - that's CCC on your Roll Call, hmmm ... interesting b/c it's not like Cathy's style at all.  Have you post a directly quoted link to her initial post to respond ?  Maybe she has since changed her booking & no longer sailing, and, simply forgotten to come back & tell the rest of the Roll Call - release & have/ask someone on there to "take over".   I can also be quite confident to say she's not on social media or using FB to organize.  

I would say, wait just a bit longer but by mid/latter part of work week, go ahead & poll the rest of the CC group agreed to move on and then take up the tasks.  You know the drills - email Group Events & get it rolling. 

It does looked like the June Roll Call aren't really energetic at all ... and, two of our CC friends (Sapphire/Diamonds ... I forget now) are on the Joy earlier - not much going on either.  They are going to with a charter group (and it's a big one, apparently)

On boarding/embarkation, the gangway took us up to Deck 7 - it's easier to walk down one flight to Taste or Savor, or The Local, whichever way you choose.  Access was close to the AFT elevators - Haven & accessible were routed to the FWD elevators.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Wish you a wonderful cruise shortly on the Joy.  

Thank you for your very detailed live review! I have been following and lurking since my family will also be sailing in the inside family suite on the Joy to Bermuda on May 29th. 

I am so sorry that you and your family got sick during the cruise and I have to admit that it makes me pretty nervous especially since we are now less than 2 weeks out. My husband (and presumably the rest of us but no one else tested positive) had COVID back in January, son is coming with us and he's 2 and unvaccinated and my mother in law who is 65. All of the adults a vaccinated and boosted but still it makes me nervous. Even though I know it would likely be just a cold for us, the idea that we could spread it when we get home is worrying to me.

It sounds like your cruise was fairly "empty" and I'm hoping ours will be as well. Do you have any inkling where you may have been exposed? 

Thanks again for your wonderful and detailed review!

2 hours ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

... All of the adults a vaccinated and boosted but still it makes me nervous. Even though I know it would likely be just a cold for us, the idea that we could spread it when we get home is worrying to me.  It sounds like your cruise was fairly "empty" and I'm hoping ours will be as well. Do you have any inkling where you may have been exposed? ...

We / I am happy this "Semi-Live" and the details are found to be helpful by more than a handful on CC, and the extra time to me, worthwhile to contribute, with the pictorial & writing format that's natural to me.  Just give it a "Like" or "Thanks" will be great & fine, and/or a "Haha" emoji for the subtle humor, etc. 

Both Mrs. and I are feeling better this morning, she regained her appetite and no lost of taste/smell, still had a slight fever, but never above 103 deg. F as that would be more serious - your hubby gone thru it & no need to go further with additional details.  We will remain "shelter-in-place" and do a self-imposed isolation to quarantine & avoid direct contacts with others, and DIY home (rapid) test again in a few days - will get a round of free PCR done later on (not required or needed, but to see whether any traces are detected later on ... since medical researches just don't agree as the sub/variants continue to evolve. 

Amending the original "Health Update" filed earlier yesterday afternoon (not so good "news" but not surprised) the sister-in-law that're in the 2 BR Family Suite (SP) with us also tested positive late yesterday, her first Antigen Rapid home test was negative (both the same day - just a matter of hours apart 😳 and that's the "unsettling" part in it all, that current protocol & measures as adopted by the cruiselines, including NCL, just isn't - I now feel - catching some of the infected individuals asymptomatic and/or pre-symptomatic before embarkation; and, once boarded the ship - it's nearly impossible to ...  She's doing fine, okay this afternoon as we just did a video chat.  

To try to answer in our own minds and your question of ... for the entire cruise week, from being inside MCT to being onboard, and taking the NCL free ferry over to SG, and the Bermuda ferry into Hamilton, and even inside Clocktower Mall, we had our masks on whenever there was a crowd in "confined" space, especially elevators (while we can do stairs, the seniors can't - unless it's 1 or 2 flights walking down, slowly)  Masking requirement was not strictly enforced on the NCL ferry & most simply didn't bother.  Bermuda ferry (natural air flow and/or air conditioned) was very strict about wearing it and compliance good - we sat upstairs and the times we rode, wasn't that full either. 

The other 3 from the 2nd. suite hasn't reported experiencing any symptoms and/or positive test results - they are also doubled boosted, with their higher risk factors, unlike us.  My BIL just came back from his PCP for his swollen ankle from cruising for a medication check, and Antigen Rapid tested negative again today.  Except for a few meals (breakfast & lunch) - we ate mostly together in the evenings and were seated together.  I'm doubtful we caught it while dining, possibly inside the Joy Theater watching Footloose as it was 100+ minutes long and like probably 90% of the audience, didn't keep our masks on.  When we went to Elements for Saturday's 7 pm show, theater was more crowded & we're masked the entire time.  

Because of what I sensed, thinking perhaps there's also norovirus hiding in plain sights, we're pretty diligent in washing hands often with soap & running water, and always had a small bottle of hand sanitizer in our pocket to use as supplement.  Our cruise was sailing around 45% max. capacity with 1,900 guests only - we saw consistent & good efforts on the crew's part to wipe & clean, especially the elevator buttons at peak times, to disinfect heavily used areas.  But, I also saw & recognized that most passengers basically discarded & left their masks in their cabin and thinking Covid is behind them. 

When we returned last month from our 7 nights "Getaway" from FL & Nassau, there're reports of quite a few testing positive post-cruise, luckily we did not then - this time, clearly - we lost the calculated odds, and, we/I accepted the responsibilities for it.  

There is one place, that I will ask DW and SIL to avoid in September (and, until further notice) if everyone decided to not cancel cruise plans for the rest of 2022 - not hangout in the casino or gaming area on Deck 7.  HVAC or ventilations in that area has vastly improved & changed for the better, the smoking section - I believe - is enclosed in their own clear bubble walls (port side) so the smoke is no longer annoying to us walking thru - they spend a fair amount of time on sea days and in the late evening day for a bit of "spinning"  I now suspect that, the source was there for being exposed but no conclusive proof - carelessness, perhaps, as masks were not up or worn 100% of the time.  

We used up a good # of disposable surgical masks that we took along, but probably should've worn our KN95 or KF94 more often, as we should - that would be my recommendation for cruising; and, watch the positivity trends (although, as one of my nephew, a nurse, pointed out - with prevalence of DIY home testing widely done, the numbers are no longer reliable & accurate for predictive planning.)  Hospitalization #'s aren't alarming thus far and the vaccine is kicking up a storm within the body's immune system to fight off the virus. 

Related subject

The Family-Inside-Suites are good, and for just 4 of you - a good place to retreat and plenty of space to stretch out.  We were not expected near-Haven-like extra perks but still, given what we've paid, felt that this particular NCL product, exclusive with the Joy only - came up, just a little short; and, needs to be re-evaluated with a better package as a whole to warrant its "selling" rack rate.  NY embarkation & disembarkation, should, hopefully - fingers crossed for some of you - improved if the GS manager's pledge has teeth - by then (sooner, I wish) be changed & recognized, given a little priority for those without Platinum/higher tier status.  GSM's name & extension # was posted earlier, refer to it after boarding if this is a problem - it is a free, no-cost change on NCL's part to communicate & instruct their partner contractor - (InterCruises Shoreside & Port Services) 

It is just not "right" to be handed (for "suite" passengers) by someone blindly checking for Bermuda documents a Group 15 card to board the ship, IMHO, when we arrived promptly for 10 - 10:30 am check-in, etc.  Hell, in NYC - one can book an almost-free Casino At Sea "inside" cabin and get priority check-in and boarding.  What is fair & reasonable is what should be given, or else, it's poor business practice and unacceptable, we say that as a NCLH stockholders. 

PXL_20220516_194815133.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

It is just not "right" to be handed (for "suite" passengers) by someone blindly checking for Bermuda documents a Group 15 card to board the ship, IMHO, when we arrived promptly for 10 - 10:30 am check-in, etc.  Hell, in NYC - one can book an almost-free Casino At Sea "inside" cabin and get priority check-in and boarding.  What is fair & reasonable is what should be given,

Yeah, on April 26, we arrived at 9:30 to the Manhattan pier and got handed a group 13.  I was in a SP suite, am Platinum, and even booked through CAS.  That said, no separate embarkation.  Rather, it was one huge funnel of a line. 

That said, we made on the ship of course.  In the moment, it was highly annoying and rather dysfunctional.  Two weeks later, I've downgraded it to mildly annoying and "meh", at least I got to go on a cruise."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Yeah, on April 26, we arrived at 9:30 to the Manhattan pier and got handed a group 13 < snipped > in a SP suite, am Platinum, and even booked through CAS.  That said, no separate embarkation.  Rather, it was one huge funnel of a line ... at least I got to go on a cruise."

The kicker, and we/I am usually - if not always - easy going and don't demand or make unreasonable requests - the explanation given by the GS manager was that NCL "saw/knew of" issues & complaints about the Getaway's Bermuda embarkation issues with the Bermuda TA, shuffling arriving passengers to/from Pier 90 for screening (testing ??) and then back to Pier 88 to finish checking in.  "They" reinvented the wheels, change things around (to improve & streamline, I suppose) to have everyone go thru security quickly, no long lines outside.

Except, port security contractors were doing primary passport & eDocs check only, not exactly enforcing arrival time so that the lines would move quickly - then; moved to Step 2, security and x-ray screening, no lines when we're there.  The bottleneck then, was the herd stalled with the Bermuda TA check - and some diverted to a nearby area for further assistance (provisional waiver and/or never applied for one ??)  They couldn't care less if you're anybody and everybody, unless you are in Haven and/or in a wheelchair.  That, I saw, and I consider problematic - we "spend" the most time standing in that snaking line, until we reached the front, watching how the "bypass" above work on the right / starboard side of the terminal, as they're viewed by everyone stonefaced as "cutting" in out of nowhere.  

Once we got beyond that to complete the actual check-in and for the agent to retrieve our key cards for the "suites" - it was easier, somewhat, I asked for priority check-in for suites first (she looked at me, flipped her printed sheets & checklist, then was going to kick us to the longest line for general check-in, without asking further ... i.e. what if someone upgraded using CAS & paid up into SP or SC suites.  Upon asking for Platinum priority check-in, she was clueless about Sapphire (or Diamonds, I'm sure) - finally got it, and, pointed us to a line with just several others in front.  

After we took our keycards, we're directing to keep walking ahead - and, were (obviously) not going to be going to a designated waiting area (not necessary a "lounge") at all ( Group 15 was our assigned zone #'s)  At that point, I fully realized that, what a mess this is - fortunately, having cruised frequently out of MCT for the last 25 years, we knew better & have a general idea of what's where, saw the roped off Platinum waiting area, next to/opposite the accessible waiting area - sandwiching the security checkpoints for embarkation.  Haven lounge & exclusive check-in being further back into the far end of the terminal nowadays (and, they exit & board in another set of doors - escorted by the concierge team.)  

We just told one of the terminal agent that we are Platinum & going "backward" toward the direction of 12th Avenue, and walked ourselves into that roped off area to wait.  

Of course, by now, with our luck - and, I was afraid that our sailing will be selected by the USCG for their periodic inspections - announcement over the PA that no early boarding this morning for anyone, they don't know when and everyone will have to wait - as they don't want to say when and ... 

Luckily, that USCG inspection last shorter than another one that we cruised on, much fewer passengers inside waiting - then, seeing that Haven passengers began boarding, knew that we should get ready to proceed.  

The Sunday afternoon (by then) didn't end - not inside the terminal building - over the PA they announced Group 1 to 4 to proceed ahead, while accessible was still slowly making their way outside toward the gangway - and - the entire Platinum zone were standing, waiting & should've been "quietly" directed to follow first.  Group 1 to 4 should be held back at first - very poorly coordinated in terms of communication within themselves running the show inside.  Luckily, with 2 security podium working - they stalled the masses from Group 1 to 4,  and 1 podium processed everyone from the P zone from the side, emptying up to proceed outside directly. 

Looking back, if we didn't knew our way & asked to go into the roped off zone, stick with Group 15 - would've been easily spent a lot more time inside Pier 88.  

I probably should've written this up earlier, maybe this past Sunday's sailing didn't run into major problems - but, it's worth documenting for future reference (okay, Norwegian Joy Guest Services - here is your detailed analysis & commentary: on notice ) to see how & whether changes are being done to address this.  There was absolutely, zero, none. no priority embarkation - whatsoever - for SP guests booked in one (2 for us) of these Family Inside Suites.

Fixed it, please !  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We / I am happy this "Semi-Live" and the details are found to be helpful by more than a handful on CC, and the extra time to me, worthwhile to contribute, with the pictorial & writing format that's natural to me.  Just give it a "Like" or "Thanks" will be great & fine, and/or a "Haha" emoji for the subtle humor, etc. 

Both Mrs. and I are feeling better this morning, she regained her appetite and no lost of taste/smell, still had a slight fever, but never above 103 deg. F as that would be more serious - your hubby gone thru it & no need to go further with additional details.  We will remain "shelter-in-place" and do a self-imposed isolation to quarantine & avoid direct contacts with others, and DIY home (rapid) test again in a few days - will get a round of free PCR done later on (not required or needed, but to see whether any traces are detected later on ... since medical researches just don't agree as the sub/variants continue to evolve. 

Amending the original "Health Update" filed earlier yesterday afternoon (not so good "news" but not surprised) the sister-in-law that're in the 2 BR Family Suite (SP) with us also tested positive late yesterday, her first Antigen Rapid home test was negative (both the same day - just a matter of hours apart 😳 and that's the "unsettling" part in it all, that current protocol & measures as adopted by the cruiselines, including NCL, just isn't - I now feel - catching some of the infected individuals asymptomatic and/or pre-symptomatic before embarkation; and, once boarded the ship - it's nearly impossible to ...  She's doing fine, okay this afternoon as we just did a video chat.  

To try to answer in our own minds and your question of ... for the entire cruise week, from being inside MCT to being onboard, and taking the NCL free ferry over to SG, and the Bermuda ferry into Hamilton, and even inside Clocktower Mall, we had our masks on whenever there was a crowd in "confined" space, especially elevators (while we can do stairs, the seniors can't - unless it's 1 or 2 flights walking down, slowly)  Masking requirement was not strictly enforced on the NCL ferry & most simply didn't bother.  Bermuda ferry (natural air flow and/or air conditioned) was very strict about wearing it and compliance good - we sat upstairs and the times we rode, wasn't that full either. 

The other 3 from the 2nd. suite hasn't reported experiencing any symptoms and/or positive test results - they are also doubled boosted, with their higher risk factors, unlike us.  My BIL just came back from his PCP for his swollen ankle from cruising for a medication check, and Antigen Rapid tested negative again today.  Except for a few meals (breakfast & lunch) - we ate mostly together in the evenings and were seated together.  I'm doubtful we caught it while dining, possibly inside the Joy Theater watching Footloose as it was 100+ minutes long and like probably 90% of the audience, didn't keep our masks on.  When we went to Elements for Saturday's 7 pm show, theater was more crowded & we're masked the entire time.  

Because of what I sensed, thinking perhaps there's also norovirus hiding in plain sights, we're pretty diligent in washing hands often with soap & running water, and always had a small bottle of hand sanitizer in our pocket to use as supplement.  Our cruise was sailing around 45% max. capacity with 1,900 guests only - we saw consistent & good efforts on the crew's part to wipe & clean, especially the elevator buttons at peak times, to disinfect heavily used areas.  But, I also saw & recognized that most passengers basically discarded & left their masks in their cabin and thinking Covid is behind them. 

When we returned last month from our 7 nights "Getaway" from FL & Nassau, there're reports of quite a few testing positive post-cruise, luckily we did not then - this time, clearly - we lost the calculated odds, and, we/I accepted the responsibilities for it.  

There is one place, that I will ask DW and SIL to avoid in September (and, until further notice) if everyone decided to not cancel cruise plans for the rest of 2022 - not hangout in the casino or gaming area on Deck 7.  HVAC or ventilations in that area has vastly improved & changed for the better, the smoking section - I believe - is enclosed in their own clear bubble walls (port side) so the smoke is no longer annoying to us walking thru - they spend a fair amount of time on sea days and in the late evening day for a bit of "spinning"  I now suspect that, the source was there for being exposed but no conclusive proof - carelessness, perhaps, as masks were not up or worn 100% of the time.  

We used up a good # of disposable surgical masks that we took along, but probably should've worn our KN95 or KF94 more often, as we should - that would be my recommendation for cruising; and, watch the positivity trends (although, as one of my nephew, a nurse, pointed out - with prevalence of DIY home testing widely done, the numbers are no longer reliable & accurate for predictive planning.)  Hospitalization #'s aren't alarming thus far and the vaccine is kicking up a storm within the body's immune system to fight off the virus. 

Related subject

The Family-Inside-Suites are good, and for just 4 of you - a good place to retreat and plenty of space to stretch out.  We were not expected near-Haven-like extra perks but still, given what we've paid, felt that this particular NCL product, exclusive with the Joy only - came up, just a little short; and, needs to be re-evaluated with a better package as a whole to warrant its "selling" rack rate.  NY embarkation & disembarkation, should, hopefully - fingers crossed for some of you - improved if the GS manager's pledge has teeth - by then (sooner, I wish) be changed & recognized, given a little priority for those without Platinum/higher tier status.  GSM's name & extension # was posted earlier, refer to it after boarding if this is a problem - it is a free, no-cost change on NCL's part to communicate & instruct their partner contractor - (InterCruises Shoreside & Port Services) 

It is just not "right" to be handed (for "suite" passengers) by someone blindly checking for Bermuda documents a Group 15 card to board the ship, IMHO, when we arrived promptly for 10 - 10:30 am check-in, etc.  Hell, in NYC - one can book an almost-free Casino At Sea "inside" cabin and get priority check-in and boarding.  What is fair & reasonable is what should be given, or else, it's poor business practice and unacceptable, we say that as a NCLH stockholders. 

PXL_20220516_194815133.jpg

I was thinking the theater is be a big area of transmission. If we see any shows we're planning on sitting in the nosebleed seats (especially with a toddler who might cause a stir anyways). Also, because of my son might rely less on the busses and more on taxis. I'm glad you are all doing well! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

the explanation given by the GS manager was that NCL "saw/knew of" issues & complaints about the Getaway's Bermuda embarkation issues with the Bermuda TA, shuffling arriving passengers to/from Pier 90 for screening (testing ??) and then back to Pier 88 to finish checking in.  "They" reinvented the wheels, change things around (to improve & streamline, I suppose) to have everyone go thru security quickly, no long lines outside.

Except, port security contractors were doing primary passport & eDocs check only, not exactly enforcing arrival time so that the lines would move quickly - then; moved to Step 2, security and x-ray screening, no lines when we're there.  The bottleneck then, was the herd stalled with the Bermuda TA check - and some diverted to a nearby area for further assistance (provisional waiver and/or never applied for one ??)  They couldn't care less if you're anybody and everybody, unless you are in Haven and/or in a wheelchair. 

sailed on the gem last month out of new york and i was in the haven... bermuda was not on the itinerary. same cluster at the terminal... took over two hours to stand in line, process and check documents until one could get to platinum or CAS or haven priority boarding, all of which were "hidden" and not voluntarily offered as options. those who didn't have "priority" or who couldn't find their special check-in area, spent close to three hours to funnel themselves through the terminal.

the GS manager's comments not withstanding, it ain't bermuda that's the problem. it's the operation of the NYC terminal building and the almost complete disregard of covid protocols within that building and  the almost complete disregard for NCL's rules and promised "benefits" regarding priority embarkation. those are the problems, as i see them. (the lack of adherence to covid protocols doesn't add to the delay, but it's a clear health and safety issue, with passengers packed like sardines as they wait in line.)

i get the outsourcing of terminal operations... but, generally, the client - in this case NCL - puts in place prescriptive rules which the outsourcer must follow. the contractors at the manhattan pier make their own rules which violate NCL's brand standards and preferred embarkation policies.

again, it ain't bermuda TA that's the primary problem here in my opinion, although admittedly that can add to the delay and detract form the overall experience and enhance the cluster-inducing fog that envelops the entire manhattan departure ordeal.

• Like 4

A bit of good Health News to share - both Susan & I are feeling much better already, while we continue to self-isolate and exercise precautions, and avoid accidentally exposing anyone else ... cancelled plans this week.  This morning, our body temperature remained elevated, still taking Tylenol to help reduce our fever & manage symptoms, still feeling tired & fatigue, occassional coughs & running noses - just checked, temp at 98.0 and 98.4 respectively, SPO2 are good, BP/HR are within our expected range - she's on her iPad while watching her favorite shows on TV.   I think we are going to be fine & move forward. 

Apparently, unconfirmed/non-verified reports on social media about others testing positive, immediately following their disembarkation & almost certain attributed to being on the Norwegian Joy this past week.  

Just checked our MyNCL personal accounts - Latitudes credit received, woohoo - this will take us closer to hit Diamonds tier sooner (not that we really chase or care about reaching it) 28 points added (1 point/per night, 1 extra point/night for suite, and b/c we booked in April with the Latitudes DoublePoints promo - 2 extra points per night) 

The infamous NCL Post Cruise Survey just hit our email addresses, never failed to include us while gathering data & feedback.  Now, what should I say & add ... if there is a section to include extra remarks, hmmm ... 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Do you recommend getting to the pier as late as possible? 

Unless you are trying for a Vibe pass or if getting on the ship as early as possible is worth hours sitting around and waiting in line(s) at the pier, I'd sign-up for, say, noon check-in.  The early crowds would've dissipated somewhat, esp since boarding would have already started.

@UKstages  - I like your analysis above, thanks !!

It's truly unfortunate for the general passengers as a whole.  Health & safety rules could be stronger, while not required or mandated - strongly recommended could be the guiding principle.  Perhaps, having boxes of face masks as folks walk-in and proceed ahead ... and, I don't recall seeing a whole lot of Purell dispensers throughout the building, part of it terminal operations for sure, the other being charged or provided by NCL.  Afterall, they had beverages & cups in the Haven lounge, and a free water stations in the general waiting area. 

Adequate staffing from the outsourced contractor is another problem, shortage that just make matters worst.  When we're on the Getaway in late March, staffing was plentiful inside the building, much more stations & agents on duty for the check-in - as compared to the earlier Joy cruise on Sunday, Mother's Day.  I sensed a little, tiny bit of passing the bucks & fingers pointing elsewhere in shifting the bucks for the terminal's chaotic set-up.  I don't expect the GM or Asst GM to be personally on the frontline & walking thru inside the building to see if things are running as organized.  Haven & concierge team have their delegated duties to execute.  But, perhaps, Guest Services should have an assistant or deputy inside the terminal facility to oversee, and be the troubleshooter ... my thoughts.  

Maybe, @JGmf wants to comment & add to this aspect. MCT isn't a new or seasonal operational port for Norwegian, they've been here for 20+ years and counting, excuses for not doing things right just get me, some of us, annoyed & frustrated.   Or, maybe as a suggestions only @peg013 - sailing pretty soon, being Diamonds already, running the M&G, can take this up proactively as a follow-up onboard the Guest Services, especially if things continue status quo.  We should hear -first hand - a little bit more about how things went this week soon. 

I wasn't writing or informing the GM onboard a complaint, rather as a concern and to bring awareness to them.  We should not let this go, not easily without trying - venting is good but I like to see consistency with positive changes, on a win-win basis.  Easier said than done - let it be known we are collectively watching & following along. 

Etienne Saladin is the manager of GS on the Joy (although, I don't know if or when he's going on vacation - not that it should matter, the hot potato handed off from the GM to his department & reporting up, etc.) 

• Like 3

@MsTabbyKats - Hi, Bonnie ... I think, let's see what things go (this & next week) first and let's see if Bonnie The P has anything new for us to know.  Sal and you are just a short distance from the terminal - I am thinking, maybe you want to pick 10 to 10:30 am, if things are running well - should get you onboard before noon (11:30'ish)  - if things seemed delayed, you can always show up later than scheduled.  They won't (might) let you proceed if you are too early but if you show up later than scheduled, you should be able to join the queue - just hate to be standing there with a huge backup and a massive mess. 

I assumed you've already pre-submitted your Bermuda TA's and acknowledged.  Happy cruising soon ! 

I can't say thank you enough for your very detailed commentary and frank discussions regarding your cruise and the ship.  It has been 3 years since I have last cruised.  I am going with a group and several who have never cruised before, so they are a but nervous about what to expect.  Thanks also for the recommendation for the surgical masks.  I have a large supply of the disposable N-95s and am going to take them with us,

Wishing you many enjoyable cruises in the future!

• Like 1