Semi-Live Norwegian Joy to Bermuda - Norfolk, VA - May 8, 2022

mking8288

47 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Is  Bermuda doing only one ship in port? I was wondering if there are any other ships while NCL is docked?

There are days when two cruise ships are berthed at the Dockyard and sometimes a third ship anchored in Grassy Bay or docked in Hamilton or St. George. If you're interested, here's this year's cruise ship schedule http://www.marops.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2022 Cruise Ship Schedule.pdf

It's been reported that the US Navy ship that's at Kings Wharf right now is there for unscheduled repairs, but because it's a military operation that hasn't been confirmed.  

• Like 3

Guest #3 made it back by taxi to the crowd's cheers. Guest #4 and #5 were slow walking first, then started running and got a free but short ride by someone locally. More cheers as everyone accounted for. Ropes released & we are set to get underway, just a few minutes behind schedule.

Destination check - next port is New York

PXL_20220513_175313886.jpg

PXL_20220513_180842040.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There are days when two cruise ships are berthed at the Dockyard and sometimes a third ship anchored in Grassy Bay or docked in Hamilton or St. George. If you're interested, here's this year's cruise ship schedule http://www.marops.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/2022 Cruise Ship Schedule.pdf

It's been reported that the US Navy ship that's at Kings Wharf right now is there for unscheduled repairs, but because it's a military operation that hasn't been confirmed.  

According to the above referenced schedule The Joy (Heritage Warf) and the Mariner of the Sea (Kings Warf) will both be there next week, Joy and Summit the following week and Joy and Mariner the week after.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Nope, it's a vehicle carrier "Cape Race". It brought some sailboats, etc. for the Sail Grand Prix. 

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Nope, it's a vehicle carrier "Cape Race". It brought some sailboats, etc. for the Sail Grand Prix. 

Every piece of documentation I can find supports what I said. There was an article in the Royal Gazette, as well as the Department of  Marine and Ports weekly shipping report  that says it is in Bermuda  for repairs.

The ship was built as a vehicle carrier in 1977 . It was purchased by the US government in 1993 and converted to serve in the Navy. The ship is part of the ready reserve fleet...ships that are not in active service but can be put into service quickly when needed. 

The ship is also painted like a US Navy ship.

The only possible way I can think of that would make what I'm saying untrue is if the ship  was decommissioned and sold so recently that the transaction hasn't been picked up by any of the services I know of that track marine activity, as well as the government of Bermuda. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

According to the above referenced schedule The Joy (Heritage Warf) and the Mariner of the Sea (Kings Warf) will both be there next week, Joy and Summit the following week and Joy and Mariner the week after.

Summit recently changed their itinerary. they will be a few days where it will be the 3rd ship in port and they have to tender. That will be interesting to see on the web cams

Edited by shof515

You know I always have to ask you about being able to stream preloaded content through each ship's TV.  If I understood correctly, you are unable to do so on the Joy?  If someone as technologically knowledgeable as you can't do it, I know I'll have no chance.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geegee1 said:

Does anyone know if this is an excursion boat through NCL or is it a private company, or does it belong to some lucky person for their own use?

It is an excursion not through NCL. You will need to book it on your own. Here is the link:

https://www.islandtourcentre.com/featured/longtail-floating-fun-park/

11 minutes ago, geegee1 said:

Does anyone know if this is an excursion boat through NCL or is it a private company, or does it belong to some lucky person for their own use?

that boat belongs to someone! you can tell because the exhaust pipes are totally plastic! It is like they swiped them from playground and bolted them to the boat, so that the fumes carry all the way to the stern. From the size of those pipes probable coal or steam driven. Stand back I about to fire her up!

50 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

You know I always have to ask you about being able to stream preloaded content through each ship's TV.  If I understood correctly, you are unable to do so on the Joy?  

Good news, bedside lamps have USB port & good for charging, safeguarded behind a firewalled barrier. 

Samsung's iTV uses a RJ45 or Cat5/e cable or LAN port for video signal. I will try to boot it without and see whether the input source can be switched to HDMI, etc. It's likely firmware locked down - just going to hookup wireless Bluetooth & watch on the iPad or Chromebook, not bothering with the W10Pro notebook.

I will give it a try later but ...

PXL_20220513_204017.jpg

PXL_20220513_204353704.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, peg013 said:

I've never seen a little "train" in Hamilton before - only the one at the Dockyard. Where does it go and what does it cost? It would be great if it would take you up to the bus station. My back won't allow me to walk up that hill anymore.

I would love an answer to this as well!

I used to walk that hill to get to the major bus terminal so I could get to the Caves and the other sights there.  Can't anymore.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It wouldn't be that. The West End Trolley is only scheduled as a one hour excursion and doesn't get further from the Dockyard than Somerset Village .

It should be this tour, which starts on Front St. and gets as far as the BUEI:

http://www.bermudatrain.com/hamilton-tour

12 minutes ago, advancedalgebra said:

I would love an answer to this as well!

I used to walk that hill to get to the major bus terminal so I could get to the Caves and the other sights there.  Can't anymore.

See answer above.

Thanks for your post and pics of your trip. I will be on the Joy in the near future and wondered if you could post the spa prices (more so the massage / scrub stuff). If not, no biggie. I wanted to get an idea of the range. I wish they would list prices on the NCL site. 

Tonight, we set the clock backward 1 hour to EDT from Bermuda time zone. Tomorrow's (Day 7) FS Dailies. 

Taste & Savor open for lunch & breakfast till 9:30 am. Food Republic is open for lunch (sea day). Details in FSD. 

PXL_20220514_015237427.jpg

PXL_20220514_015320331.jpg

PXL_20220514_015342697.jpg

PXL_20220514_015402636.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The P said:

Did the yellow tags come with the letter? Always glad to avoid a trip to Guest Services when possible.

Hi, Sharon - it will / should save you a trip to Guest Services. They aren't marked as Priority but ... it came with the letter for our 2 suites. Then, again - being Platinum & Sapphire, we are entitled to priority disembarkation, should we choose to use it. Are you all set, packed & ready to cruise on Sunday ?  Have a great week onboard & bon voyage 😎 !!! 

In other Joy only related news & development, written message sent to newly onboard GM was read & delegated to guest services manager and he's (voicemail as I was out to dinner) available to chat & discuss the perks for SC & SP suites on the Joy (only). Will contact in the morning to informally - consistent & accurate communications are important, IMHO, for marketing the product, keeping an open mind.  This is good for CC'ers already booked and/or considering it. Stay tuned. 

Please post any last minute comments related to this matter, as I will reference to this Semi-Live Joy "blog" or thread on CC.

PXL_20220514_011851431.jpg

• Like 3

Sailed 160 nm from Dockyard, 550 nm to NYC, cruise speed at 18 knots now, moderate waves, wave height at 8 ft. - occasional showers & cloudy for Saturday.

Our double load / bags of complimentary (Platinum) free laundry was sent down yesterday morning by our room steward & came back this evening, clean & folded in 2 baskets. 

PXL_20220514_024403103.jpg

PXL_20220514_024057699.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

In other Joy only related news & development, written message sent to newly onboard GM was read & delegated to guest services manager and he's (voicemail as I was out to dinner) available to chat & discuss the perks for SC & SP suites on the Joy (only). Will contact in the morning to informally - consistent & accurate communications are important, IMHO, for marketing the product, keeping an open mind.  This is good for CC'ers already booked and/or considering it. Stay tuned. 

Please post any last minute comments related to this matter, as I will reference to this Semi-Live Joy "blog" or thread on CC.

PXL_20220514_011851431.jpg

I cannot thank you enough for bringing this issue to the new GM's attention.    Please also mention the priority embarkation that is not being acknowledged at the Manhattan terminal. 

Also, do you know if The Vibe sold out?

Enjoy the rest of your sailing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Hi, Sharon - it will / should save you a trip to Guest Services. They aren't marked as Priority but ... it came with the letter for our 2 suites. Then, again - being Platinum & Sapphire, we are entitled to priority disembarkation, should we choose to use it. Are you all set, packed & ready to cruise on Sunday ?  Have a great week onboard & bon voyage 😎 !!! 

Hi, Henry. Thanks for answering.  I'm Sapphire but even Priority will still get caught in a bottleneck getting to luggage in NYC so yellow is fine by me.  I breathed a sigh of relief when my antigen test came back negative and I could download it to Bermuda. Got the OK, printed it out, put it with my passport and was happy that was done. 

Aside from last minute stuff I'm ready to go. I'm on my own this cruise so I'm looking forward to doing what I want when I want and hoping for some nice weather to do it all in. CC is full of threads talking about Norovirus and Covid on ships sailing now so what will be will be. 

Thanks so much for all the work you do to let us know what's going on. We're lucky to have you as a guide! I'll miss running into you and Susan this cruise!            Sharon

• Like 5

Good morning as we've sailed 380 nm from Bermuda with about 320 nm to NY at a cruise speed of 18 knots, air temperature 76 deg F.  Per ship captain, pilot boat will meet the ship at 4:30 am & expected to dock by 7 am. 

A last look yesterday at SG's Fort St. Catherine and nearby resorts as we safely navigated the shallow waters. View from stern, Deck 8's waterfront - didn't notice serious vibrations. 

PXL_20220514_151230504.jpg

PXL_20220513_190218236.jpg

PXL_20220513_190611383.jpg

PXL_20220513_190615699.jpg

PXL_20220513_193732900.jpg

PXL_20220513_193739184.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Dinner in MDR tonight, no reservations made, not busy at all.  Menu in PDF

PXL_20220513_213833796.jpg

PXL_20220513_213839612.jpg

PXL_20220513_214729628.jpg

PXL_20220513_220349400.jpg

PXL_20220513_220343947.jpg

PXL_20220513_224034108.jpg

PXL_20220513_224037464.jpg

PXL_20220513_225617012.jpg

PXL_20220513_230038169.jpg

MDR_Fleet-Dinner-D6-Mobile-Menu_ver04-11-22.pdf 246.52 kB · 23 downloads

This is the dinner where I think I will skip the entrée and go straight to dessert. Too many choices. Thanks for doing this review. We leave on the Joy for Bermuda on May 29.

Jen

• Haha 1