Rhine Souvenirs

macaroni

We will be on an Avalon Rhine river cruise and was curious if there are certain souvenirs/gifts we should be on the lookout for in certain towns? We go Basel to Amsterdam.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Omigosh! My family traveled four or five continents many decades ago. Now that the older generation has passed away, and I’m probably five or 10 years away from assisted-living (elderly husband) I have found it is a huge problem to downsize. There are a lot of things I can criticize of our millennial generation, but their focus on experiences over purchases is something to be admired. It was such a problem when my parents left their large home filled with 20/30 years of memorabilia. I hope I do not inflict this on my children.  YMMV.

PS I still have the portable hair dryer that my mother purchased in 1967 prior to our relocation to West Africa. Would anyone like to make me an offer? 😜 LOL!

• Like 1

I am not looking for myself…I just need a magnet and ornament…..but I would like to get a few gifts for people at home who are watching our home, etc……we tend to lean towards food items that can be consumed….chocolates, cookies?

• Like 1

I tend to go for the practical stuff, but I have a problem. I live on the Rhine so have never really thought much about souvenirs. With so many things "made in (insert Asian country)" these days it can be tricky to find nice stuff sometimes. I like fridge magnets and the sturdy metal ones are actually often made in Europe. Other than that, I got some high quality kitchen towels in Alsace with typical motifs (stork, wine bottle, etc.). Food is not a bad idea. Chocolates are often regional. Typical more for the Moselle is Weinbergspfirsich liqueur ( a special variety peach) but available in Koblenz in shops probably. In Alsace, small guglhupf or a kitchen towel with the guglhupf recipe printed on it. And wine, lots of wine...

notamermaid

• Like 1

Thank you…..wish I could bring bulbs home….but not allowed….like the idea of

a fondue mix or the liquer if I am willing to check a bag…..

thanks…maybe I will pick up some chocolate in Lucerne or Basel.

Tulip bulbs not a good idea anyway – the ones you can buy now should be in the ground picking up nutrients and getting fatter.  Best to buy for shipment in early fall.