Coffee question

JerseyShore

Baristas uses Illy coffee, which along with Lavazza, makes the best "real" coffees on the planet.  We are fortunate enough to have a Jura espresso machine, and we use fresh Lavazza Gold beans, which the machine grinds fresh for each cup.  Give me espresso, ristretto, piccolo latte, latte or cappuccino, but please, with all due reverence and respect to you all, nothing from a drip filter or can.  Unless the coffee is a good brand, though, it can taste bitter, but no amount of water would fix it.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Baristas uses Illy coffee, which along with Lavazza, makes the best "real" coffees on the planet.  We are fortunate enough to have a Jura espresso machine, and we use fresh Lavazza Gold beans, which the machine grinds fresh for each cup. 

I agree fresh ground beans are the best

When we travel we buy beans from other Countries  to bring home

We also have a good brand here  that we like  "Kicking Horse "

I think  a lot of it has to do with your personal taste  as well as what you are used to

JMO

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Just curious

what type of coffee do people drink at home?

Ground ? Instant? pods?

Brand?

DH find the regular coffee fine on the ships 

I drink greenwell farms medium roast from kona. I belong to their club and get whole beans shipped regularly. 

Thanks to all with regards to when the baristas open. I’ll figure by 6 or 6:30 it seems I can get a decent cuppa.

• Like 4

Costco San Francisco brand. Blade grinder and good local water. Norwegian "helped" me cut back from a two pot a day 25 year habit due to the horrific taste. Worse than army coffee. Hope pastries come back to horizons, I agree wholeheartedly with the 1st breakfast routine.

• Like 1

I am not a coffee drinker but my wife is and on Oceania she needs her large cup of coffee to start each day. In fact she even brings her own large coffee cup on each cruise. She is with most of the other posters on this topic in agreeing that except in barista’s the coffee is terrible in the restaurants and from room service (even if she orders Americano which is somewhat better) on every ship (and we’ve sailed on all of them). Her solution is to have me go each morning to the penthouse lounge with her large cup, put two squirts of espresso in the cup, then fill the cup with hot water and bring it back to the cabin. In the restaurants she does the same but with the smaller cup she asks the server to put one shot of espresso in and then fill the cup with hot water. 

• Like 2

I use a Breville Barista Touch Pro to brew my Espresso - only Storyville Prologue coffee in that machine. 

For my Breville Precision Brewer Thermal I often use the Mayorga coffee from Costco. 

Sometimes I will experiment with other brands of coffee, but these are the two I've found I enjoy the best. 

• Like 1

My solution is to bring my french press travel mug and use good quality coffee purchased in port. That way I only have to get some hot water and I'm set. On one UK cruise, each cabin had an electric kettle, so I could prepare my coffee or an evening cup of tea in my cabin. 

• Like 1

San Francisco French Roast; beans…..from Costco. We order Americanos on board and find them quite good; also Baristas and machines Horizons and in the Executive Lounge deliver good coffee.

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Does anyone know how early can one get a cappuccino or espresso on the Regatta? 

6:30 in the Terrace or Horizons from their machines.   It’s really not bad at all.  Not sure about what time Baristas opens.   

• Like 1

I was not up in Baristas at 6:00 but I have gotten my Americano or other Illy coffee drink by 6:30. If I want coffee it really is the only place to get a great cup. I even go to Baristas on my way to breakfast in the TC or maybe again after breakfast. I am just as certain if I asked my Butler for coffee from Barista’s, it would be delivered whatever time I asked for it.  
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 1

What a great thread.  This topic is of great interest (and importance) to me.  This group here sure does cover all the bases, huh?  Home roasted and fresh ground, high end espresso machines, imported coffee all the way to a couple mentions of Dunkin (😝, I'm from the midwest and live with lots of Northeasterns who swear by that vile drink).  Morning coffee is a highlight of my day.  I am touched by the numbers of you who say their kind and dear partners will fetch something from afar.  My DH will do the same once I sort out what tastes good to me. We both drink hot strong bold Starbucks from a store or made with a pod at home - I know that's not much of a coffee purist thing but it works for us.  It comes as little surprise that the coffee lovers here don't enjoy the dining room and other dispensed coffees.  I'm gonna count on baristas and Horizons for my morning coffee.  Thanks all.  

Our first O cruise commences June 27.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nursinadream said:

What a great thread.  This topic is of great interest (and importance) to me.  This group here sure does cover all the bases, huh?  Home roasted and fresh ground, high end espresso machines, imported coffee all the way to a couple mentions of Dunkin (😝, I'm from the midwest and live with lots of Northeasterns who swear by that vile drink).  Morning coffee is a highlight of my day.  I am touched by the numbers of you who say their kind and dear partners will fetch something from afar.  My DH will do the same once I sort out what tastes good to me. We both drink hot strong bold Starbucks from a store or made with a pod at home - I know that's not much of a coffee purist thing but it works for us.  It comes as little surprise that the coffee lovers here don't enjoy the dining room and other dispensed coffees.  I'm gonna count on baristas and Horizons for my morning coffee.  Thanks all.  

Our first O cruise commences June 27.

Wishing you clear skies and sparkling seas...enjoy your Oceania experience🐬

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 1:00 AM, PaulMCO said:

Stuff from machine is acceptable.  Terrace used to have a barista setup -- ask for a latte or cappuccino from there.  Their standard coffee is just plain horrible and is likely from syrup, because brewed coffee cannot be that bad.

Then you haven't had really bad brewed coffee.  It can be terrible.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Then you haven't had really bad brewed coffee.  It can be terrible

I feel like I need a medal after some coffee I've had. Maybe that's the millennial in me haha

This is why I enjoy my fancy coffee at home

• Like 1
  • Haha 1