The buckwheat pancakes are not buckwheat!

LindaJ+

On 5/10/2022 at 11:33 PM, KAKcruiser said:

I like Swedish pancakes plain.  When I asked if I could have them plain rather than having them stuffed with fruit, they said they were frozen and it would be too big a deal to try to defrost them to remove the filling.

What HAL serves has been frozen?  That's interesting because I thought they were freshly made.  Authentic Swedish Pancakes, according to one recipe I read, are plain.  What I have been served on HAL are pancakes/crepes rolled into a tube and filled with a whitish filling that I assumed was cream cheese.  Lingonberry Sauce was on top with maybe a dollop of whipped topping (cream?  doubt it).  A fruit filling?  Not that I recall.  My first experience with this food was on Royal Viking Sky (Norwegian flag registry with a crew/chefs to match the countries of that region).  What HAL serves matches what I remember from my first experiences.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

Well, that's the excuse they gave me.

Sorry, to say, this, and it's not exclusive to HAL, but, I have experienced Stewards in a variety of Departments on the ships that find it easier to make excuses than try to satisfy this guest's request.  For me, this is particularly true in an open dining situation and particularly for breakfast,  An Assistant Steward is sometimes one's main Steward for Breakfast.  

I experienced this one morning after I had learned that the presentation of a tray of Breakfast pastries had been eliminated.  I also learned that a mini-presentation of that tray was available on request.  My Steward's response when I asked for that:  N/A.  Leaving the dining room, I informed the Assistant Maitre d' on duty about my displeasure with this experience.  The following mornings, I was offered the mini-presentation of those pastries.  

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 7:15 AM, LindaJ+ said:

... with tasteless frozen fries. 

I thought the fries were great. Just sayin'. 

Anyone notice that the OP hasn't come back since the first grenade, and never said which cruise he/she was on? 

Edited by Boatdrill

15 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I thought the fries were great. Just sayin'. 

Anyone notice that the OP hasn't come back since the first grenade, and never said which cruise he/she was on? 

Would you when people are beating on her? It seems to be a pastime for some.  Hardly a grenade.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

Well, that's the excuse they gave me.  But maybe you are right that it was filled with a whitish cream.  It may be that was the frozen part and they put fresh lingonberry sauce on top.  

I bet tons of stuff is made ahead.  I like the passion fruit with yougart for breakfast.  It has chia seeds and sometimes seeds aren’t my friend.  I asked if they could leave them out.  Nope.  Usually I would scrape as much as I could off.  Some mornings it was like ice had formed under the lake of seeds.  It’s not something I would expect to be frozen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You seem to think only your complaints are valid.  No complaints about food are valid which is ridiculous.

I think the point of their post was food is very subjective. There is no right or wrong opinion on food...nor is there single way to make a given dish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is no right or wrong opinion on food...nor is there single way to make a given dish.

100% agree!  My recipe for Meat Loaf would be found to be lacking by many.  Does the end product satisfy me?  Yes.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think the point of their post was food is very subjective. There is no right or wrong opinion on food...nor is there single way to make a given dish.

When someone says that it’s not worthwhile to complain about food they are discounting the experience of others.  If a person is in the pinnacle and they get a steak full of gristle that is not subjective.  No one wants that.  If you want to pay for that go ahead.  Cruise lines will love you.  

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

100% agree!  My recipe for Meat Loaf would be found to be lacking by many.  Does the end product satisfy me?  Yes.  

You are not cooking for cruise passengers.  I assume no one pays to eat at your home either 😉.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, rkacruiser said:

Since this started as a "breakfast type of food" thread, may I ask what others think of the Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberry Sauce?  

We loved it. Not sure about Lingonberry, but it was some sort of berry and I ordered it about three or four times on our 45 night cruise.  We make pancakes at home, so didnt order those. We ordered the pan Asian breakfast 4-5 times. Someone once told me, never order anything you can make better at home. Me? always love the food on board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, CruiserBruce said:

I am no expert on buckwheat pancakes, but is it possible the OP is used to a different recipe than what HAL uses? Is there only one recipe for buckwheat pancakes?

..on our recent 45 night cruise I asked for recipes for dishes i loved, and was given all of them. Including the MDR and Canaletto! Just ask for the recipe before you judge , perhaps?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

..on our recent 45 night cruise I asked for recipes for dishes i loved, and was given all of them. Including the MDR and Canaletto! Just ask for the recipe before you judge , perhaps?

But is that the same recipe the OP is expecting? I have done my share of cooking...but I am not of the opinion my recipe is the same as everyone else's recipe, or tastes better than what someoneelse is cooking.

If you read back through the thread, you will see I am not the one having no tolerance of something different from my expectations. As usual,  amongst other things, people here expect a cruise ship to serve up thousands of lobster tails each meal, that are as good as the fresh tails you might buy in Maine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

When someone says that it’s not worthwhile to complain about food they are discounting the experience of others.  If a person is in the pinnacle and they get a steak full of gristle that is not subjective.  No one wants that.  If you want to pay for that go ahead.  Cruise lines will love you.  

And if you are saying that the fries at XXXX burger joint are the best ever, you will never accept any others, and will have no tolerance for any other person's enjoyment for the fries at the Dive In. You will never be happy with any other French fries. 

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

But is that the same recipe the OP is expecting? I have done my share of cooking...but I am not of the opinion my recipe is the same as everyone else's recipe, or tastes better than what someoneelse is cooking.

If you read back through the thread, you will see I am not the one having no tolerance of something different from my expectations. As usual,  amongst other things, people here expect a cruise ship to serve up thousands of lobster tails each meal, that are as good as the fresh tails you might buy in Maine.

oh, we all want that foolproof recipe dont we. i get you. every recipe and dish varies.

okay, now i want lobster. thanks. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You seem to think only your complaints are valid.  No complaints about food are valid which is ridiculous.

No, I think that complaints about food are inherently subjective, and therefore meaningless.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

You will never be happy with any other French fries. 

can anyone ever be really happy with french fries?

...or is it a deep fried shame we swallow in order to be whole?

catsup is red

blue spuds are blue

i have a french fry order for you

some will be salty

some will be few

some will end up i'm sure in the pool

some will be hot

some will be cool

regardless we eat them

and some even drool

(just trying to turn the thread here to poetry..)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

And if you are saying that the fries at XXXX burger joint are the best ever, you will never accept any others, and will have no tolerance for any other person's enjoyment for the fries at the Dive In. You will never be happy with any other French fries. 

What?