San Pedro Hotels

8 hours ago, Happy2cruise said:

New to sailing out of San Pedro and would appreciation any recommendations on where to stay.  Thanks!

We've stayed at both the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza fairly recently...Those are the only two hotels in San Pedro I recommend (Though some people tend to stay at the Best Western and it gets decent reviews, it's in a less than nice location on a busy street with little nearby but traffic...and not as nice a hotel).

The Doubletree is, perhaps, a touch nicer, but located in a quiet, out of the way neighborhood--on the yacht marina--not a lot of restaurants nearby--save the 22nd Street Landing (Seafood).  But the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in Downtown Pedro and to the cruise terminal.

The Crown Plaza is in the heart of Downtown Pedro, with lots of good restaurant choices within a couple of blocks...and is only about three blocks from the cruise terminal--so, walkable...though they will also shuttle you to the pier for a small $5 pp fee. 

Stayed at the Doubletree a couple of years ago - nice facility and great staff.  Had dinner at hotel and it was very good and resonable price.  They upgraded us to a suite - GREAT room!  Free shuttle to the pier.  Be sure to get the warm choc. chip cookie at checkin!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JoyAnna said:

We will be flying in to LAX to cruise in December.  We are looking for a hotel with an airport shuttle and a cruise port shuttle.  Anyone know if that exists?

None that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't call myself an expert .

In my experience airport shuttles are  only provided by hotels in the immediate vicinity of LAX and they don't provide shuttles to the cruise terminal in San Pedro because it's about 20 miles from LAX to San Pedro.

1 hour ago, JoyAnna said:

We will be flying in to LAX to cruise in December.  We are looking for a hotel with an airport shuttle and a cruise port shuttle.  Anyone know if that exists?

Princess cruises offers a hotel/ shuttle package. Other cruiselines probably do too.

cheaper to book hotel yourself and use Uber or taxis or car rental.

We stayed recently at the Crowne Plaza and will be booking it again for our cruise in December.  We walked the block or so to the Green Onion for Mexican and can't wait to go back.

We ubered from LAX to the hotel and then to the pier in the morning.  

3 hours ago, JoyAnna said:

I do know, and no; there are no hotels that offer airport and cruise port shuttles. San Pedro is way too far from LAX or even LGB, for that matter, for a free shuttle.

A lot of people seem to get hung up on the idea of a "free" shuttle...but, remember, NOTHING is ever really "free" any place.  Any hotel in any location, if offering a shuttle, is really just accounting for it in their pricing structure.  Would you rather pay $200 for a night in a hotel and get a "free" shuttle...or spend $150 for the same hotel with no shuttle--and spend $40 on an Uber?

Hotels in the immediate vicinity of LAX supply "free" shuttles to the terminals--because the competition demands it...Everyone staying there is doing so for the access to the airport.  Hotels in San Pedro MAY offer free shuttles (the Doubletree and Best Western do--because they are close to the port, but not walking distance).  The Crowne Plaza now charges something like $5 pp--because they are walking distance and not everyone wants the service...or many just get an Uber--because it's cheap.  But they are not bothering with shuttles from LAX because it's 20 miles (LGB is 16 miles, SNA and BUR both over 30 miles).

Just figure your Uber/Lyft/Shuttle/Taxi cost into your budget.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

A lot of people seem to get hung up on the idea of a "free" shuttle...but, remember, NOTHING is ever really "free" any place.  Any hotel in any location, if offering a shuttle, is really just accounting for it in their pricing structure.  Would you rather pay $200 for a night in a hotel and get a "free" shuttle...or spend $150 for the same hotel with no shuttle--and spend $40 on an Uber?

Hotels in the immediate vicinity of LAX supply "free" shuttles to the terminals--because the competition demands it...Everyone staying there is doing so for the access to the airport.  Hotels in San Pedro MAY offer free shuttles (the Doubletree and Best Western do--because they are close to the port, but not walking distance).  The Crowne Plaza now charges something like $5 pp--because they are walking distance and not everyone wants the service...or many just get an Uber--because it's cheap.  But they are not bothering with shuttles from LAX because it's 20 miles (LGB is 16 miles, SNA and BUR both over 30 miles).

Just figure your Uber/Lyft/Shuttle/Taxi cost into your budget.

I wasn't looking for anything "free"  I was looking for convenience 

2 hours ago, JoyAnna said:

Hotel shuttles aren't really the standard in convenience.  With hotel port shuttles, you often have to sign up for a limited time slot and wait until they are ready to go.  And, if any hotel in San Pedro was to actually provide a shuttle to LAX, unless they had a fleet of several shuttles, it would likely have to be running n a schedule of once every couple of hours since it would be a 40 mile round trip on LA Freeways for the driver...plus traffic delays, loading and unloading time etc.

An Uber or Lyft or a car or limo service is ALWAYS going to be more convenient.  Last week, when we got an Uber out of LAX, it took only four minutes for our Uber to come pick us up.  The only inconvenience at LAX if taking an Uber is catching a shuttle bus to the LAX-it lot.  We just missed the first one as we exited baggage claim at Terminal 3...and it took a whole 3 minutes for the next shuttle to arrive.  You can always pay for even more convenience by hiring a limo or black car service and getting picked up at the curb outside baggage claim.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:43 AM, Bruin Steve said:

We've stayed at both the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza fairly recently...Those are the only two hotels in San Pedro I recommend (Though some people tend to stay at the Best Western and it gets decent reviews, it's in a less than nice location on a busy street with little nearby but traffic...and not as nice a hotel).

The Doubletree is, perhaps, a touch nicer, but located in a quiet, out of the way neighborhood--on the yacht marina--not a lot of restaurants nearby--save the 22nd Street Landing (Seafood).  But the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in Downtown Pedro and to the cruise terminal.

The Crown Plaza is in the heart of Downtown Pedro, with lots of good restaurant choices within a couple of blocks...and is only about three blocks from the cruise terminal--so, walkable...though they will also shuttle you to the pier for a small $5 pp fee. 

Is there a place to pick up wine really close to the CP?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoyAnna said:

Hotels with a shuttle for the airport (LAX, LGB, SNA), free or otherwise, are near the airport. Hotels with a shuttle for the port (LA or LB), free or otherwise, are near the port.

No hotel offers shuttles for both. Perhaps a concierge from the Crowne Plaza or DoubleTree San Pedro could arrange a paid shuttle/limo to their hotel from an airport, but that is as close as you would get to a "hotel with an airport shuttle and a cruise port shuttle".

2 hours ago, Happy2cruise said:

Anyone ever stay at Best Western Los Angeles Worldport Hotel on W Pacific Coast Highway which is suppose to be close to SanPedro/Long Beach?

Ummmmmm...

"...supposed to be close to..."

Yeah, in a way, I guess, it's "close"...

My big question would be "WHY?".  A cheap price?  When you see a cheap hotel price in LA, there is a reason.   And "close" is a relative term.  In this case, it's like "Where is the worst possible location "close" to the port?"

It's a 2-star motel on a freeway offramp in a scuzzy area 4+ miles north of the San Pedro cruise terminal--in the direction of the inner city...and 8 miles from the Carnival port in Long Beach.  Nowhere to eat nearby--except a few blocks walk (that you won't want to walk) to a couple of local taquerias...

If you are just looking to save money and stay cheap, just pay a little extra money and stay somewhere recommended.  It will be well worth the higher price.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happy2cruise said:

Anyone ever stay at Best Western Los Angeles Worldport Hotel on W Pacific Coast Highway which is suppose to be close to SanPedro/Long Beach?

For anyone going on a cruise from San Pedro or Long Beach, no never.

We actually booked an Airbnb for the night before our cruise out of Long Beach coming up in July.  It ended up being significantly cheaper than any of the hotels near the port, and it looks to be just about a 15 minute drive from the cruise port.  We'll just Uber from the airport there, then the Airbnb to the port the next morning.

24 minutes ago, claireruth said:

We actually booked an Airbnb for the night before our cruise out of Long Beach coming up in July.  It ended up being significantly cheaper than any of the hotels near the port, and it looks to be just about a 15 minute drive from the cruise port.  We'll just Uber from the airport there, then the Airbnb to the port the next morning.

There are a lot of very bad areas in Long Beach. I'd be very cautious in booking an Airbnb.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, scottca075 said:

There are a lot of very bad areas in Long Beach. I'd be very cautious in booking an Airbnb.

Agreed...and worse.  There are some bad areas in Long Bach...and there are some even worse areas just to the north of Long Beach...I would advise running this Airbnb location by us locals here on the message board.

"...looks to be just about a 15 minute drive from the cruise port..." could be, for example,  Palos Verdes (excellent)...or it could be Compton (the polar opposite of excellent)...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2