Australian visa turn-around time

MoneyGuy

Having difficulty applying for Australian ETA. I have a new passport (issued 2022) and all went well. Wife's passport (issued 2017) and cannot read passport chip. Perhaps her passport issued before passport chips were installed.

Please help.

TIA

On 9/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, luv2kruz said:

cannot read passport chip.

On 9/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, luv2kruz said:

THX

Finnally worked after many tries

---

Yes, the only problems we had with the Australian ETA app was in getting it to read the chip on our 2 U.S. passports issued two years ago -- both of us using our own android smartphones.  Each of us tried for almost an hour [with no internet connectivity problems] until the app accepted both of our chips, within a couple of minutes of each other.

---

Edited by RSS from SF

On 9/20/2022 at 4:18 PM, MoneyGuy said:

Many (all?) iPhones cannot read the passport chips. That was my experience.

My wife has an Android phone so mine is on hers. 

??

My wife used her iPhone 7 and I used my iPhone 12 and both worked easily to read our US passport chips (had to watch video how to scan them). Don’t know anything about Canada passport chips though.

Cheers

just got this from regent 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

We have an important update for you regarding your upcoming cruise and the required Australian Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).

The Australian government has changed their process for issuing ETAs.  At this time, they are only issued through the government’s Department of Home Affairs’ Smart Phone Australian ETA app.  You can download the Australian ETA app for free from the Apple Store or Google Play Store (Andriod).  A step by step guide can be found here.

Unfortunately, Regent Seven Seas Cruises and third-party visa service providers are currently unable to secure the ETA on behalf of guests.

If you have pre-purchased the Australian ETA through Regent, we will be removing the extension from your reservation and issuing a refund, if applicable, shortly.

It is imperative that all guests obtain the necessary documents in advance of sailing.  Failure to produce the correct documentation at embarkation will result in denial of boarding.  Please ensure your passport is valid at least 6 months after your return date. 

Citizens and residents of other countries should check with their local consulate for individual visa requirements.  VisaCentral has also provided us with the following link to assist our international guests with visa requirements: http://rssc.visacentral.com.

A list of Australian ETA eligible nationalities can be found here.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. 

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

just got this from regent 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,

We have an important update for you regarding your upcoming cruise and the required Australian Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).

The Australian government has changed their process for issuing ETAs.  At this time, they are only issued through the government’s Department of Home Affairs’ Smart Phone Australian ETA app.  You can download the Australian ETA app for free from the Apple Store or Google Play Store (Andriod).  A step by step guide can be found here.

Unfortunately, Regent Seven Seas Cruises and third-party visa service providers are currently unable to secure the ETA on behalf of guests.

If you have pre-purchased the Australian ETA through Regent, we will be removing the extension from your reservation and issuing a refund, if applicable, shortly.

It is imperative that all guests obtain the necessary documents in advance of sailing.  Failure to produce the correct documentation at embarkation will result in denial of boarding.  Please ensure your passport is valid at least 6 months after your return date. 

Citizens and residents of other countries should check with their local consulate for individual visa requirements.  VisaCentral has also provided us with the following link to assist our international guests with visa requirements: http://rssc.visacentral.com.

A list of Australian ETA eligible nationalities can be found here.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. 

Good service by Rent Seven Seas.  Good news that third party visa service providers can no longer secure the ETA on behalf of travellers to Aust.  Some were charging excessive amounts for ETAs which are free.  ($20 Aus for processing by Aust Govt).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are UK citizens.  We applied for and received the sub-class 651 e-visitor visa but now I'm wondering if that will not be sufficient and we need the ETA instead. The website does not make it clear to me the difference between the 601 and the 651 so we applied for the 651 as that is what we used last time in 2019. Can anyone advise please?

1 hour ago, sequincruiser said:

We are UK citizens.  We applied for and received the sub-class 651 e-visitor visa but now I'm wondering if that will not be sufficient and we need the ETA instead. The website does not make it clear to me the difference between the 601 and the 651 so we applied for the 651 as that is what we used last time in 2019. Can anyone advise please?

Both are alternative visas. The 601 is 'inferior' to the 651 in that if you have both the 651 has priority and the 601 only is in effect when the 651 expires/cancelled/anything else. 

If the 651 covers the times and activities of your visit there is no need to get the 601.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 10:08 PM, AZjohn said:

??

My wife used her iPhone 7 and I used my iPhone 12 and both worked easily to read our US passport chips (had to watch video how to scan them). Don’t know anything about Canada passport chips though.

Cheers

Us, too, but the chip was in the back cover, not next to the photo page as shown in the app.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, cruzky said:

I will be cruising to Australia and New Zealand in Jan of 2024. How far in advance should I apply for the etas? How long are they good for?

Thanks

Roseanna

If you are US Citizens and apply for ETA on Australian Government website, approval is almost instant, so you wouldn't need to apply until close to departure (eg end 2023).

immi. homeaffairs.gov.au

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 3:45 PM, cruisin from florida said:

Same. We're US citizens, in the US. We used the ETA apps for each country.

My sister and I both need to apply for the Australia and NZ ETA for our cruise.  Do we need to download the 2 apps on each of our own cell phone or I can just get the app on my cell phone and use it to separately apply for both of us?

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

My sister and I both need to apply for the Australia and NZ ETA for our cruise.  Do we need to download the 2 apps on each of our own cell phone or I can just get the app on my cell phone and use it to separately apply for both of us?

Both apps will let you do two or more visa applications on one device.  NOTE: Both apps require that you take a photograph of each person and scan each passport, when you apply.  So if you and your sister are both applying on your phone or tablet, she would need to be present when you do it and have her docs with her.

Edited by DenGNNJ

26 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

Both apps will let you do two or more visa applications on one device.  NOTE: Both apps require that you take a photograph of each person and scan each passport, when you apply.  So if you and your sister are both applying on your phone or tablet, she would need to be present when you do it and have her docs with her.

Thank you for the information!

On 9/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, RSS from SF said:

---

Yes, the only problems we had with the Australian ETA app was in getting it to read the chip on our 2 U.S. passports issued two years ago -- both of us using our own android smartphones.  Each of us tried for almost an hour [with no internet connectivity problems] until the app accepted both of our chips, within a couple of minutes of each other.

---

We have tried and tried.  Android; NFWhatever is ON.  Flash is OFF.  Must have both on one phone.  After a frustrating 20 minutes or so it recognized my chip.  Cannot get the same phone to recognize my husband's chip.  Did them the same way.  Any suggestions?

Charlotte

Trash Queen -  I'm glad to know we aren't the only ones having trouble with the NZ eta.  We have tried both the app and the website, even though that costs more, and neither my husband nor myself have been able to make it through the process.  I'm hoping others have good suggestions!

On 11/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, Trash Queen said:

We have tried and tried.  Android; NFWhatever is ON.  Flash is OFF.  Must have both on one phone.  After a frustrating 20 minutes or so it recognized my chip.  Cannot get the same phone to recognize my husband's chip.  Did them the same way.  Any suggestions?

Charlotte

We had no trouble whatsoever by having the app scan the data page of our US passports… the page with our photos.  The app read the info at the bottom of that page right away with no issues.  You just need to make sure the app has permission to acces your device’s camera.

FYI we did ours on an IPad.

Edited by DenGNNJ

On 11/18/2022 at 3:22 AM, cruzky said:

I will be cruising to Australia and New Zealand in Jan of 2024. How far in advance should I apply for the etas? How long are they good for?

Thanks

Roseanna

They are both valid for one year so don't apply too soon! Our Oz ones were immediate. NZ ones took 24 hours.