Don't be afraid to try things on your own!

We are renting a car this time to go from Cannes to St. Paul de Vence. (Wanting to avoid transferring.) Be careful when you get the train out of Ville France. We took a bit too long to get off the ship and up to the train station. The station in Villefrance was PACKED and people from the ship were standing in line. The tickets to Monte Carlo (where it seemed everyone was headed) were sold out for the next several trains. We had no problem going BACK to Villefrance, though, later in the afternoon. I don't know that that was normal, but for whatever reason, it happened to us.

Sundapple, as I mentioned the first time, DO NOT let all of that info. scare you. It isn't as complicated as it sounds. I think I overloaded you w/stuff that I didn't even know the first time we got a rental car in Europe!

On our last trip to Europe we did all the stops on our own. We're in the initial planning stages for a cruise early next year that stops in Malaga and we'd dearly love to see the Alhambra. Have any of you adventurous souls made the trek from Malaga to Granada/Alhambra on your own?

Our ship is scheduled to be in port for 11 hours. I gather that the run from Malaga to Granada is at least 2 hours each way, but we should have at least 4 - 5 hours in Granada. Is this enough time to do it justice?

Also, I've come across a 2008 price list for Malaga taxi fares that shows 225 Euros for the trip to Granada with up to 6 hours there before returning. Since our group will be a minimum of 4 and could be as many as 10, does anyone know whether they have any mini-van taxis and, if so, whether there is a premium for hiring those?

Thanks in advance for any information/hints/suggestions that you might have,

P.

Granada is MAGICAL! If you go there, you MUST also visit the Albacin (old Moorish Qtr. across a ravine from the Alhambra) on another hillside. The view of the Alhambra from there at night is fabulous! And the tiny streets wind and twist. You can also see gypsy flamenco shows inside preformance rooms in lovely homes carved out of caves. But, alas, you would have to stay overnt. to see this. Then there is the cathedral that holds the bodies of Ferdinand and Isabella in the old section of the main city of Granada below the Albacin and the Alhambra. If you can find a private driver, I think you would benefit. Esp. one who could show you around. It sounds like you have enough time, but there is just so much to see and it's not hard to tire out and get sort of burnt out. Everyone needs to chill out and seeing everything there in one day will not allow you to really get the "feel" of this, one of my very favorite places in the world!

But if you think you may never get another chance, go for it - however you can. Good luck and I hope you can work all of this out!

Regarding a taxi from MC to St Paul de Vence, yes, it is feasible. But, you might be shocked at the cost. The MC taxis will not want to charge you for a one-way trip since its quite far from MC. My suspician is that you are talking about at least 150 Euros for the taxi, although that is just my guess. You might want to check the roll-call board for your particular cruise and seek-out a small group that could pre-book a private car/driver...or perhaps someone willing to rent a car and add you to their crowd.

Hank

I had a guy that was willing to charge what would have amounted to about $57 pp if we could have gotten 2 more people. But there aren't many on our roll call and those going are going w/the ship's tour (blah!). Go to tripadvisor.com to the Cannes forums, maybe Rick Steves and Fodors as well, and this site, and do a search. Contact every private driver/tour co. you can find via email and maybe something will crop up. You should also ask on the ports of call section to see if anyone was able to get a taxi from Cannes to take them and what it costs. (We are off on our trip tomorrow!)

Edited by mlbcruiser

Sundapple, as I mentioned the first time, DO NOT let all of that info. scare you. It isn't as complicated as it sounds. I think I overloaded you w/stuff that I didn't even know the first time we got a rental car in Europe!

While I find booking the car daunting, ultimately I know that it will solve a lot of logistical problems for us, so I'll do my due diligence and get us a car, and then he'll do his when he's got to drive. :) He's already started some "discussions" about insurance and international driver's license with me, and I keep reminding him that what was what 25 years ago is not necessarily what's happening today. :)

Thanks again for all your help. Have a wonderful time on your trip. I'm sure it will be fabulous. :)

Jacquie

We are in Tunis for five hours on June 3. some want to go to the Souk/Medina. We are trying to hire a taxi driver who has been reccomended to us...but would you reccomend not going to Tunis and just going to Carthage?

JackN.

My wife & I were in Tunis last week. Here's what we did.

First you can change euros into Turkish Dinars at a bank in the Centre,we only changed 15 euros for this trip,then easy walk to station.

Please note each train journey costs approx 0.43 dinar, $0.35 cents

Take train to Sidi Abi Said.spend time there,then back to station,train to Carthage Hannibal. Here you can buy & ticket costing 8 Dinar & you can visit 6 sites of Carthage. From Carthage we walked to the Punic Port & then we got the train back to La Goulette.

All very easy.

Enjoy, Cheers

While I agree with you that "doing it on your own" can be significantly less expensive than doing either ship arranged or private tours, I think the one thing everyone who tries it needs to keep in mind and that is "make sure you get back to your ship on-time (i.e. before it sails to the next port)".

I also do a lot of research before we take any trip or cruise. And as my wife can verify, I like to save money as much as anyone. But we have decided on most of our cruises to take organized tours of some sort especially on our first visit to a port, area or country. It allows us to get oriented and to better understand where we need to go and what we need to do in that particular environment.

Please don't consider this a "flame" of your endosement of independent travel. I just feel everyone needs to be very aware of the fact that the ship will not wait for them if they are late getting back from an independent tour where it will for the ship arranged tours if they are late.

Hopefully we will try more excursions on our own on future trips to the Med or other areas.

Have a great next cruise.

Ditto :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hank, I am so happy to have found your advice!!. I have easily traveled in Europe with no problems but am taking the first cruise. As I am researching ports and transportation I am quickly dropping of reservations from the ships tours (Bruges, Cork and maybe Cannes) I am hoping the train that departs from Cannes stops in a comfortable location in Monaco. Our fondest European memories are of the food and drink and architecture not the historical facts from the tour guides. Keep up your good advice.

Janet

Janet, We just returned today from 2 months of travel bliss (most of it in Europe) and still love the travel despite the weak dollar. As to Monte Carlo trains, the train station is really not in the most convenient location. While it is possible to walk from the station to almost anywhere in MC, you would probably be better-off if you take a local bus or taxi from the train station to your touring starting point (such as the Palace).

Hank

For all those seeking specific info - eg car hire, distances - I think you should go to Trip Advisor and seek the Forum for the destination you are visiting.

You'll have loads of people willing to help out.

What a thread going on 3 years. I just want through it all since we are pretty much DIYers. We are on our first med cruise in a couple of weeks. Going with 1 private tour with another family (Ephesus) and a private tour of Athens with Spiros. We are renting cars in Corfu and Santorini other than that it will be public transport and self guided tours. My question, we will be spending a few days in Rome after the cruise, we have been to Rome before and will spend our time going to the catacombs (missed last time) and revisiting different spots in central Rome. I am still having a hard time figuring out the difference between the BIG and the BIRG pass. I want to take the train from Civ to Rome and be able to get off and on public transport for three day before heading to the airport by train for return flight. Any thoughts on what type of ticket to buy or should I just get daily passes?

I will take a shot at the last post although I am far from an expert on Rome transportation options. The BIRG pass is a "zone pass" and includes roundtrip regional (not the high speed IC+) service from the port plus unlimited use of the metro and buses for only that day. It's a good deal for a port day since it only costs 9 Euros per person. But, if you are staying in Rome for three days you might not benefit from the BIRG. You might be better off paying for your transportation into Rome (train or otherwise) and than buying a Roma pass. You can check the options on

http://goitaly.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=goitaly&cdn=travel&tm=28&gps=63_415_930_541&f=00&tt=13&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.romapass.it/%3Fl%3Den

We have spent many days in Rome (both on port days and in hotels) and have never bought a transportation pass since we prefer to see Rome (and most cities) by using our feet. But, if you are not a "walkaolic" than you will find the Metro and buses a great way to get around the city.

Hank

Hank took a good shot at the previous post. Just to elaborate, there is a 3-day equivilant to the BIRG called the BTR. It too is a zone transportation ticket. Check my train site under the BIRG section.

I want to take the train from Civ to Rome and be able to get off and on public transport for three day before heading to the airport by train for return flight. Any thoughts on what type of ticket to buy or should I just get daily passes?

We did as Hank suggested ... bought a Roma Pass which covered buses and metro in Rome for 3 days, plus admission to two sites (we used it for the Colosseum/Forum & Borghese Gallery). We then paid the 4.5 euros each for the train from Rome to Civitavecchia. Although most of our transportation in Rome was on foot, the metro and buses came in handy a few times, and I think the Roma Pass pretty much pays for itself with the two 'free' admissions, plus discounts off of other sites.

As for the train between the Airport and Termini, I'm not sure that it's included with any of the passes ... hopefully GSPLover can confirm that.

As for the train between the Airport and Termini, I'm not sure that it's included with any of the passes ... hopefully GSPLover can confirm that.

Correct! None of the passes (Roma Pass, BIRG, BTR) include any of the rail transport from Rome to FCO.

Thanks all. GSPLover great site with great information. Base on the following do you know if buses to catacombs would be included in the Rome zone (zone A).

Thanks.

BTR – Regional Tourist Ticket

How much does it cost?

The cost varies depending on the number of travel zones.

lazio.gifThe Zones

€6.50 for 1 zone

€12.00 for 2 zones

€16.00 for 3 zones

€19.00 for 4 zones

€24.50 for 5 zones

€28.50 for 6 zones

€28.50 for 7 zones

How long does it last?

For 3 days from the date indicated by the ticket holder and for an unrestricted number of journeys.

Would anyone care to tell me what is the best transportation to count on in Barcelona? We will have 4 1/2 days to explore prior to boarding NCL. I've read about the T10, HoHo & taxis. We have yet to really plan out a daily schedule as I'm unsure how to find out where everything is located so we can kinda "work" ourselves thru the city. We are staying at a apartment in Eixample.

I would get familiar with the metro system. The T10 is just 10 single ride tickets on the metro--you can use it, go through, then pass it back to your companion (2 rides total) and it saves money over single fares. I would not recommend using the Ho Ho for your 4 day stay--if you only have a few hours and need a brief overview, okay, but you will have plenty of time to get around. Taxis are plentiful and cheap, relatively, but I love using the metro.

You may consider a day trip to the monastery at Montserrat--easily reachable by train from the Sants station; you can either go up the hill on a cable car or a small funicular railway (be sure to buy the appropriate ticket).

You will find that the biggest majority of your transport will be your own two feet. Eixample is centrally located and you can walk to Las Ramblas, the Gothic Quarter, even Sagrada Familia from there, and the other two Gaudi sites are right on Passeig de Gracia, the main street of Eixample.

I am jealous--I would love to be planning a 4.5 day trip to Barcelona even though I have been there three times! I found this website a wealth of information: http://www.barcelonayellow.com/

Cathy

Edited by CathyCruises

I was looking into renting a GPS unit in Europe and found out that you can purchase a Garmin Nuvi 270 that includes BOTH North America and Europe for only $139. This is an excellent deal. The unit allows you to choose either vehicle or pedestrian mode and is easy to carry around. I highly recommend it - especially at this price!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-270-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000OH26OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243802525&sr=8-1

Because I have purchased this unit and thanks to everyone's advice, I think I will rent a car in Cannes (to go to St. Paul de Vence and Eze) and in Civitavecchia (to go to Civita di Bagnoregio and Orvieto). Does anyone have any suggestions re: car rental agencies in these ports?

Irene

Edited by iricht

Those Gamin GPS units our great. We personally own a higher-end 670 (has both North American and Europe maps) and used it in many European countries over thousands of miles. They work fine for getting you to St Paul de Vence, but we have noticed that the European maps are prone to more errors than we find with the USA maps. It is always a good idea to have a general idea of your routes in case the GPS lets you down. We have found that the most accurate maps and driving info can be found on Michelin's web site where you can print-out varous routes.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Hank

Thanks for the link Hank - very much appreciated!

I did get a free update for the Europe maps (2010 version) with the purchase of the Garmin so hopefully some of those errors are fixed. I'll be using it in England as I rented a car to transfer from Southampton to Heathrow (with a stop at Windsor and Stonehedge on the way) and also a road trip in Scotland.

Unfortunately I'm running into a roadblock renting a car in Civitavecchia (arrive on a Sunday) as only Avis is open and they are out of cars :(. I was really looking forward to going to Civita di Bagnoregio and Orvieto.

I also found out the rental rate in Cannes and am backing away from that as a ship's excursion to St. Paul de Vence would cost about the same for 2 people.

Questions: Is there a direct bus from Cannes to St. Paul? Is there anywhere else to go to via train from Civitavecchia other than Rome that is recommended?

Irene

Hi Irene,

There are no direct public buses from Cannes to St Paul de Vence. Regarding other places to go on the train from Civitavecchia, we personally have not found any convenient rail destination from that port. As to your Sunday rental car issue, it has long been a huge problem. In fact, we were going to take the Noordam April transatlantic this year, but it ended in Civitavecchia on a Sunday! So, we decided to stay on-board for the next 10 day cruise (26 day back-to-back) so that we would get to Civitavecchia on a Wednesday (it's a tough life but somebody had to do it). The port lecturer on the Noordam told us that he thought that the Hertz agency (actually the rental car company closest to the port entrance) was open on Sundays. We thought (and continue to think) that its closed on Sundays. But, I guess you could call Hertz and ask them to please directly e-mail (or call) the Civitavecchia office and if they do open on Sundays. Our personal experience has been that it is very difficult to rent a car anywhere in Italy on a Sunday other than at major airports. You also mentioned the ship excursion to St Paul de Vence, and we agree its usually a competitive price vs 2 in a rental car. Our problem with those excursions is that we hear many complaints that they do not spend enough time in St Paul de Vence...especially for those that want to stay there for lunch. But, as we all learn on cruises, short port days mean tough choices.

Hank

You mentioned the problem of hiring a car on Sunday from Civitavecchia. There is the same problem in Barcelona. We are going to have to go to the main railway station for car hire. A problem as the Gem starts/finishes the cruise on a Sunday.