The Daily for Wednesday 05/11/2022

richwmn

Today is Eat What You Want Day, National Receptionist Day, and School Nurses Day

And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.--Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Meal Suggestion for today - green goddess grain bowl
Drink of the Day - Vesper
Wine of the Day - Bodega Garzon 2020 Reserva Tannat (Uruguay)
Destination of the Day - Falmouth, England, United Kingdom

Ships With Passengers

Juneau, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   10:00 - 22:00

Kotor, Montenegro

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 16:00

Kristiansand, NO

Rotterdam   07:00 - 22:00

Piraeus-Athens, Greece

Oosterdam   08:00 - 17:00

San Diego, California

Noordam   07:00 - 16:00

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska

Eurodam   08:00 - 17:00

Skagway, AK

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Great Stirrup Cay

Zaandam   Anchorage

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam  

0511World.thumb.png.b366d7cde68115a38e6bf370f5a8f9f8.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Report.

It's another beautiful day here, today's high is supposed to be 27C, it feels like summer. 🙂  We had frost a couple of weeks ago, I guess we missed spring.

Interesting days.  I often eat what I want but sometimes I should eat what's good for me.  A thank you to receptionists and school nurses.

I don't think the quote is true.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 33

Good morning.  I like the days today.  School nurses are so important, but unfortunately most schools today only have one in their whole district.

I disagree with the quote.  Waiting for Debbies recipe to decide on the meal.

I've been have a rough time with allergies.  Pollen has given me so much grief this year.

Major prayers to our care list.

Safe travels and toasts to our celebrations.

Please continue to stay safe and wear your mask.  The virus is raising it's ugly head again.

Verper:

The Vesper or Vesper Martini is a cocktail that was originally made of gin, vodka, and Kina Lillet. The formulations of its ingredients have changed since its original publication in print, and so some modern bartenders have created new versions which attempt to more closely mimic the original taste. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: 1/2 oz Vodka, 1/4 oz Lillet Blonde, 2 oz Gin
Preparation: Shake over ice until well chilled, then strain into a deep goblet and garnish with a thin slice of lemon peel.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon Peel
Drinkware: Champagne Coupe, Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.56.09 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good morning all.

Wanted to share a few pics leaving Venice Monday. As the Holland America people may know, I waited too long to leave from Venice with a "dam" ship as all the large cruise ships are now banned from the port there. The Oosterdam is using  Trieste. 

One option was to book Holland America's old sister line, Windstar, and thus I did and am on the Wind Surf. It is a 15 day itinerary to Barcelona with several ports that the larger ships can't do. 

For my Prinsendam fans, you know what I mean!

Here is Venice sailaway:

20220509_181936.jpg

20220509_184156.jpg

20220509_184202.jpg

20220509_184112.jpg

20220509_184145.jpg

20220509_183620.jpg

20220509_184439.jpg

20220509_183631.jpg

20220509_184514.jpg

20220509_183328.jpg

20220509_184425.jpg

20220509_184902.jpg

20220509_184656.jpg

20220509_184042.jpg

20220511_071351.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 10

6 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good morning all.

Wanted to share a few pics leaving Venice Monday. As the Holland America people may know, I waited too long to leave from Venice with a "dam" ship as all the large cruise ships are now banned from the port there. The Oosterdam is using  Trieste. 

One option was to book Holland America's old sister line, Windstar, and thus I did and am on the Wind Surf. It is a 15 day itinerary to Barcelona with several ports that the larger ships can't do. 

For my Prinsendam fans, you know what I mean!

Here is Venice sailaway:

20220509_181936.jpg

20220509_184156.jpg

20220509_184202.jpg

20220509_184112.jpg

20220509_184145.jpg

20220509_183620.jpg

20220509_184439.jpg

20220509_183631.jpg

20220509_184514.jpg

20220509_183328.jpg

20220509_184425.jpg

20220509_184902.jpg

20220509_184656.jpg

20220509_184042.jpg

20220511_071351.jpg

Your photos brought back nice memories. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily.  I eat what I want but try to configure it to work with a decent diet.  Receptionists and School Nurses play vital roles in keeping society moving.  Looks like I've been to Falmouth once on the Elegant Explorer.  I also disagree with the Coelho quote.  I'll also wait for @dfish on the meal.  My alternative is  Classic Caesar Salad, Grilled Molasses Lamb Chops, and Strawberry Sundae which would have been my choices April 26, 2019 if I had not dined in Canaletto that night.

Today’s care list:

Mr. Boston’s neighbor sudden death
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Horizon Chaser 1957 in covid  quaraantine
smitty34877 knee surgery 5/12
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
From the rotation:
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam’s last full day without guests
Volendam housing refugees
9 BHB with guests
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Cruzin Terri quiet day in Rome
New patio set for ger_77
Welcome home baltic7
Ancientwanderer (Eurodam to 5/14),   leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15), St Pete Cruiser (Wind Surf to 5/17) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 11

Good afternoon.

50°F and heavy rain here at the moment.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Eat what you want day sounds great.

It's a long time since I was at school and can't remember there being a school nurse.

Some receptionists are great while others are not helpful.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Never been to Falmouth as all our UK sailings are usually from Southampton.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who they will help.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 33

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily.  I eat what I want but try to configure it to work with a decent diet.  Receptionists and School Nurses play vital roles in keeping society moving.  Looks like I've been to Falmouth once on the Elegant Explorer.  I also disagree with the Coelho quote.  I'll also wait for @dfish on the meal.  My alternative is  Classic Caesar Salad, Grilled Molasses Lamb Chops, and Strawberry Sundae which would have been my choices April 26, 2019 if I had not dined in Canaletto that night.

Today’s care list:

Mr. Boston’s neighbor sudden death
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Horizon Chaser 1957 in covid  quaraantine
smitty34877 knee surgery 5/12
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
From the rotation:
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam’s last full day without guests
Volendam housing refugees
9 BHB with guests
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Cruzin Terri quiet day in Rome
New patio set for ger_77
Welcome home baltic7
Ancientwanderer (Eurodam to 5/14),   leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15), St Pete Cruiser (Wind Surf to 5/17) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

I like the collection of days and salute school nurses.  I would have been lost without my skilled receptionist back in the day 😉 

Ummmm - Not sure I can agree with today’s quote - at least, not right now.

We were in Falmouth on the Prinsendam.  Enjoyed out day there.  If I have time, I will look for pics.  

@St Pete Cruiserlove the pics - open bridge - there is only one BHB that had that - the Elegant Explorer.  Thanks for sharing 🙂 

My gardener guy is coming today to help with spring cleanup.  It’s normally help as we work side by side.  I have warned him he might be dong a lot of it. 😉 We’ll see. I am very far behind.  

@rafinmdthanks for doing the BV thread today.  Good thing I checked the boards before I started 😂 Hopefully today we (meaning POA1) can figure out the FCL missing icons and I can get it backtracked.  Frustrating 😠 

So who did cleaning yesterday?  I didn’t.

91AAC267-A2D6-4560-AB78-1EC520CAB146.jpeg.03f81456b11388d286542089def7b240.jpeg

Low bar - I did estate stuff which is painful but has to be done.  it’s going to take some time to get it all done.  I smiled when I saw this one.  For all our cat people out there:

B611DD4E-D01D-49C9-A9E0-7055EDFC8824.thumb.jpeg.135dc7dc6826a7f510fc95ed0412c923.jpeg

Never fear - the our cat people get  their revenge:

5CC1A7A1-4D0D-4B3B-9496-2FF55B59C33C.jpeg.18376043d2f47056b6878e7ac412306a.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Wednesday everyone !

1D2F1FBD-B930-42F2-852C-06B5205AEBFC.jpeg.82d4edfd4bf9de95cc1cdab0d3160593.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, list and recipes.  Eat what you want could be dangerous.  Hats off to receptionists and school nurses who work hard each day.  Not sure that I agree with the quote as it’s often not true.  The meal suggestion sounds interesting and nutritious.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos. Prayers for all on our list and those that need them. Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.  

Will the cold and wind ever cease?!#

• Like 28

Greetings!

I have been off for a few days while we traveled to our Ontario lake home. We arrived Saturday evening after crossing the border at Sault Ste Marie without any difficulty. The $2+ per liter gas prices were a bit of a shock though - maybe it explains the lack of traffic between the border and Peterborough...

We had some problems with our internet connection so I couldn't post until now. Everything is fine with the "cottage" but we need to head to town today to restock the pantry!

• Like 35

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Morning Dailyites. It is lovely and sunny and cool here this morning. The fawns are scampering early. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Today I start my new gym routine. The gym is twice as far and I will deal with a great deal more traffic, but that is a first world problem. Then my HVAC crew come to make sure the system is ready to handle Summer!

I am guilty of this….

331A7CDC-54BC-4456-A389-21267F7EF515.jpeg.3fc9e4f0c1e9ebbef10de20aaee9c2cf.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone.

Bodega Garzon 2020 Reserva Tannat

I am fairly certain that I have never tried a Tannat before, but I would love to taste this one. All released vintages have excellent ratings, and with a starting price of $14.95 from several online distributors- this would be an easy one to try. 

Winemaker Notes

Deep purple in color, this Tannat fresh aromas reminiscent of red and black fruits such as plums and raspberries on a spice-flavored aroma. It has a great personality in mouth. Its ripe tannins and its minerality make it a terroir wine of great identity.

WE90
Wine Enthusiast
A bright ruby color and unencumbered aromas of cherry, red plum and light oak are inviting and easy to process. This is Uruguayan Tannat in its cleanest, most modern form. The palate feels juicy and medium in body. Light spice notes accent popping plum and raspberry flavors, while the finish is easygoing.
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

For the most part I eat what I want even though sometimes that means fixing a different meal for DH. A salute to receptionists and school nurses.

I, to, disagree with the quote. Waiting on Debbie, @dfish, to decide on the meal.

It's a bright, breezy morning here at 62 degrees.

Today we are going to work on the walls in DBIL's room where the Murphy bed and office furniture came out of. Not sure we'll paint in there today as there is a lot of prep work and it will take time for the joint compound to dry.

@cat shepard, Ann, happy you got the new water heater and your garage cleaned.

@St Pete Cruiser thank you for sharing the pictures.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Edited by JAM37
Typo
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Dailyite Family!  I missed you all, but we did have a wonderful time, and I will do a brief review later this weekend.  DH said I said " I miss my Daily Family" more than I said I miss the cats.  My sink is full of soaking shells.  I finally finished all the laundry from the trip, that took up Monday night when we got home, and all of yesterday. And DH and I both worked yesterday.  I must remember that I work so that I can travel, or these days, put gas in the car, and eat.

I ate what I wanted all of last week, so this week, I cant.  (Who knew there was an ice cream called Unicorn Poop).  I dont agree with the quote.  I'm more of a believer in "thank God for unanswered prayers".  I know I have a lot to catch up with here, so have a great day, and hugs to you all.  

• Like 30

Good morning everyone. It is another sunny day here with temperatures in the high sixties again. Two different family members worked as School Nurses and very much enjoyed their work.I will salute receptionists and  will wait and see about the recipe.

The Prinsendam went to Falmouth and I remember it being a nice sunny day as well. We walked around after taking a small bus into town. I will spare you pictures, haha.

DD is having her knee surgery tomorrow and is quite nervous. She has had previous spinal surgery and those areas are acting up in response to her poor gait secondary to knee pain. I tried to help her yesterday and we were partially successful. I am waiting to see how she is today.
Our other patient and executive chef has had a few rough nights in a row. We will consult on food options when she wakes up more completely.

Terry

• Like 35

Good morning, everyone.

It will be another warm sunny day here in northeast Ohio.  I'm heading out shortly to do the weight machines at the gym and then I'll head to Lowe's to get deck cleaner and water sealant so I can clean the front and back decks.  I think that is what they call "Other" on the FitBits and Apple Watches.  At least it will be on mine!  

This first entry for the meal of the day looks really good!  I could have it without the grains but it wouldn't be a grain bowl.  It is too high in carbs for me as the recipe is printed, but perhaps if the amount of grains were cut in half or more I would be ok.  As printed this recipe would be a great one for putting me to sleep.   https://damndelicious.net/2018/01/09/green-goddess-bowls/

870162690_greengoddessgrainbowl1.thumb.jpg.60823e870512faadebf8b12487277833.jpg

I think what attracts me to these bowls are the fresh vegetables.  The crisp cucumbers in the next one look so good.  https://sharonpalmer.com/green-goddess-buddha-bowl-vegan-gluten-free/

1376589977_greengoddessgrainbowl2.thumb.jpg.c706d3d127b223c5bc7db1031f6054cb.jpg

On this next one I can just taste the green goddess dressing.  Each of these recipes has a different way to make that.  I like the ones made with avocado.  https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Green-Goddess-Grain-Bowl-Epicurious

83515317_greengoddessgrainbowl3.thumb.jpg.2dfedf67368c027a2cd4c25f25bb4a8f.jpg

This last one is way different from the others as the dressing includes feta cheese and the bowl ingredients include peaches.  Looks really, really good!   https://whatsgabycooking.com/summer-grain-bowl-with-green-goddess-feta-dressing/

209111113_greengoddessgrainbowl4.thumb.jpg.47d59467d2b6006164f0a07aa0a1884b.jpg

Prayers for all in need, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Prayers of Thanksgiving for all who are celebrating today, no matter how big or small the celebration.  Wishing you all a great day.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

@St Pete Cruiserlove the pics - open bridge - there is only one BHB that had that - the Elegant Explorer.  Thanks for sharing 🙂 

I loved the Wind Surf, especially that bridge, nothing like the Elegant Explorer.  Not sure about the situation with Covid but it has typically been an open bridge where people can come in and chat with the officers except when there is a pilot on board or otherwise sensitive operations.  The bridge deck is also an open wraparound deck where I walked most of my laps.  Although Wind Surf is less than half the size of the Elegant Explorer, the distance around was at least comparable to Celebrity Solstice's miserable jogging track, I think about 8 laps per mile.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1