Parking in Ny

hunnibee72

Has anyone used Park Right Manhattan Cruise Parking? Their add states they are directly across the street from the cruise terminal in Manhattan and their prices are half of what it is to park at the actual terminal. Was wondering if they are reputable and if my car would be safe there for the duration of my cruise? 

Thanks for any input.

🙂 Melissa

38 minutes ago, hunnibee72 said:

Has anyone used Park Right Manhattan Cruise Parking? Their add states they are directly across the street from the cruise terminal in Manhattan and their prices are half of what it is to park at the actual terminal. Was wondering if they are reputable and if my car would be safe there for the duration of my cruise? 

Thanks for any input.

🙂 Melissa

The statement that they're "directly across the street" from the cruise terminal is a lie. They're on West 43rd St. between 11th and 12 Ave whereas Pier 88 is at 48th St and 12th Ave and Pier 90 is at West 50th St. and 12th Ave.

The $19.99 price quote does not include taxes and if you have anything bigger than a modest size sedan they'll charge you more than $19.99. The way they compute the number of days you'll be charged means that for a 7 night cruise you'll be charged for 8 days of parking as opposed to 7 at the cruise terminal. If you want them to shuttle you to and from the pier you'll also pay more.

Your car will also be subject to being moved numerous times while parked there, while the cruise terminal is a "park and lock' facility so no one will be moving your car and the cruise terminal parking lots are secure and not accessible on days when ships are not in port.

So, it really isn't "half price" any more than it's directly across the street.  That having been said you will save some money in exchange for a loss of convenience and a greater risk of damage to your car.

My preference is to park at the pier. Others may disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunnibee72 said:

Thanks for any input.

🙂 Melissa

Look at a street map - and try to  identify which "street"  (or how many streets to be precise) lies between that facility and the cruise terminal. Also, look into all terms and conditions.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll be taking your advise and just parking at the pier itself.  Do you know if you need a reservation prior to arrival at the port. Would not want to get there and find I had no place safe and convenient to park my car.

Thank you....

Melissa

3 hours ago, hunnibee72 said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll be taking your advise and just parking at the pier itself.  Do you know if you need a reservation prior to arrival at the port. Would not want to get there and find I had no place safe and convenient to park my car.

Thank you....

Melissa

No reservations are taken. There's plenty of parking.

FYI, you pay when entering the parking deck. Cash is no longer accepted and the only credit cards accepted are Visa and MasterCard .

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 8:45 PM, njhorseman said:

The $19.99 price quote does not include taxes and if you have anything bigger than a modest size sedan they'll charge you more than $19.99. The way they compute the number of days you'll be charged means that for a 7 night cruise you'll be charged for 8 days of parking as opposed to 7 at the cruise terminal. If you want them to shuttle you to and from the pier you'll also pay more.

So, it really isn't "half price" any more than it's directly across the street.  That having been said you will save some money in exchange for a loss of convenience and a greater risk of damage to your car.

My preference is to park at the pier. Others may disagree.

Yes, I noticed that the off-site places end up charging you for eight days because of the way that they calculate it.

We live in Northern Westchester and I can get a reasonably priced Hertz rental with no drop charge via corporate rate. But Hertz closed their 43rd Street location, which means I'd need to use 55th between 6th and 7th or 34th between 8th and 9th. I was debating taking an Uber down, it would cost me $100 or so, but going back doesn't seem to be feasible since they seem to charge almost double.  We could get the Hertz car for going home, but we'd have to Uber there which would add $20 to the cost. The whole thing will probably cost me close to $200.

Bottom line is, I am thinking of just giving in and paying the $280 for parking at the pier for seven nights. It would be nice if there were a better parking option, even a few blocks away. But it seems that off-site options are all around $200, so we're back to the same outcome.

Edited by MisterBill99

9 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Bottom line is, I am thinking of just giving in and paying the $280 for parking at the pier for seven nights. It would be nice if there were a better parking option, even a few blocks away. But it seems that off-site options are all around $200, so we're back to the same outcome.

Probably makes sense - especially if you put much value on your time.  Grabbing local transport to/from pier to off site parking would be a hassle.

But, From Northern Westchester you could consider Metronorth to Grand Central then NYC taxi  to/from cruise terminal.

Edited by navybankerteacher

On 5/11/2022 at 8:45 PM, njhorseman said:

The statement that they're "directly across the street" from the cruise terminal is a lie.

I went to the company's website, at http://www.parkright.com/670-w-43-st-new-york.shtml, but I did not see anything on that page representing the facility's location as being "directly across the street." It is "across the street," meaning on the east side of Twelfth Avenue, but not directly so, being off of West 43rd Street. Obviously, it cannot be "a lie" if the representation is not actually made, so did I miss such a representation here?

As for pricing, I did a dummy quote. I chose an arbitrary Sunday in July, at 12:00 noon, until the following Sunday, 7 nights later, at 11:00 a.m. The quotation I received was 7 times a daily rate of $18.49 (actually, 6 times the $18.49 rate plus one extra unit at $18.49), plus $60.00 professional service (seemingly the provision of a valet drop off of passengers at the passenger cruise terminal and return to garage), plus $23.79 tax (18.375 percent times the total daily rate but excluding the professional service), for a total of $213.22.

The website for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal shows parking to be $40.00 per night. So the same 7 nights would be 7 times $40.00 equals $280.00. Add tax at 18.375 percent, or $51.45, and the total is $331.45.

What I don't like is that the off-site garage operator states, on the website, states: "After your short trip to the New York Passenger Ship Terminal , our professional guide will come with you to your cruise terminal and handle your luggage, $60 professional services is included at No extra charge." Yet the dummy quote I received explicitly includes a $60.00 fee for that service. Allocating the $60.00 fee across the 7 nights is equivalent to $8.57 per night, making the real daily rate $18.49 plus $8.57 equals $27.06 per night. On the other hand, by disaggregating these "professional services," that charge escapes the parking tax; if those services were included within the parking rate, then the provision of those services would taxable.

In sum, the off-pier parking does appear to be less expensive--my calculation is that on-pier parking is more than 50 percent greater than the cost for off-pier parking--for what is a less convenient service. And while I did not see a misrepresentation as to location, I did see a misrepresentation as to the pricing of the "professional services." And when there is such a misrepresentation, I tend to be a bit wary. If choosing this off-pier parking, proceed cautiously, making sure that a good deal is secured and that no cheating is tolerated.

48 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I went to the company's website, at http://www.parkright.com/670-w-43-st-new-york.shtml, but I did not see anything on that page representing the facility's location as being "directly across the street." It is "across the street," meaning on the east side of Twelfth Avenue, but not directly so, being off of West 43rd Street. Obviously, it cannot be "a lie" if the representation is not actually made, so did I miss such a representation here?

My comment was based on what the poster to whom I was replying said. The poster said the garage was advertised as being "directly across the street".

48 minutes ago, GTJ said:

The website for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal shows parking to be $40.00 per night. So the same 7 nights would be 7 times $40.00 equals $280.00. Add tax at 18.375 percent, or $51.45, and the total is $331.45.

The Manhattan Cruise Terminal price of $40 per night includes tax, so for 7 nights the price is $280, not $331.45. https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

Cruise Parking
1 to 10 nights
$40.00/per night
Extended Cruise Parking
11 to 14 nights

$400.00

Taxes are included in the rates. Payment is due upon arrival into the parking lot. There is no upcharge for sport utility vehicles.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:
The Manhattan Cruise Terminal price of $40 per per night includes tax, so for 7 nights the price is $280, not $331.45.  

I certainly overlooked that notation about taxes! Is this the only parking facility in New York City that advertises a tax-inclusive rate? I never have a need for parking, so I have not done a survey. But my recollection is that "everyone" advertised tax-exclusive rates.

With the tax situation the off-pier price advantage still exists, but less so . . . the additional cost for on-pier parking is about 30 percent higher compared to off-pier parking. In the end, some will prefer the convenience of on-pier parking, while others will prefer the economy of off-pier parking (virtually the same dichotomy that exists for on-airport and off-airport parking), without one answer being clearly better than the other.

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

I did not see anything on that page representing the facility's location as being "directly across the street." It is "across the street,"

Not to belabor the point, but if you watch the cartoon video on their website it states they are located "right across from the terminal". To me 5 blocks south of Pier 88 is not "right across from the terminal".

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Not to belabor the point, but if you watch the cartoon video on their website it states they are located "right across from the terminal". To me 5 blocks south of Pier 88 is not "right across from the terminal".

This site claims that two locations (including Park Right) are 0.01 miles from the terminal. Clearly they are not.

Manhattan Cruise Terminal Parking | Parkway Parking

54 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I certainly overlooked that notation about taxes! Is this the only parking facility in New York City that advertises a tax-inclusive rate? I never have a need for parking, so I have not done a survey. But my recollection is that "everyone" advertised tax-exclusive rates.

With the tax situation the off-pier price advantage still exists, but less so . . . the additional cost for on-pier parking is about 30 percent higher compared to off-pier parking. In the end, some will prefer the convenience of on-pier parking, while others will prefer the economy of off-pier parking (virtually the same dichotomy that exists for on-airport and off-airport parking), without one answer being clearly better than the other.

Many discount parking websites like Parkwhiz advertise rates that are inclusive of taxes.

The difference is more like 25% instead of 30, and you would probably need to add a tip to for the person who drives you over and back.

Now, if you can get the rate without that $60 professional fee, it might be worth it. 

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Probably makes sense - especially if you put much value on your time.  Grabbing local transport to/from pier to off site parking would be a hassle.

But, From Northern Westchester you could consider Metronorth to Grand Central then NYC taxi  to/from cruise terminal.

I live a half hour from Metro-North so I'd have to Uber to the train station and the cruise terminal (at least $20 each), and don't really feel like doing Metro-North with a 24" suitcase and backpack, nor my wife with her suitcase and rollable carry-on (which she has enough trouble with in the airport invariably dragging it because it doesn't have the new style turnable wheels). Not to mention dealing with the luggage on the train. I've seen other people do it when going to LGA. Not for me.

Edited by MisterBill99

4 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I live a half hour from Metro-North so I'd have to Uber to the train station and the cruise terminal (at least $20 each), and don't really feel like doing Metro-North with a 24" suitcase and backpack, nor my wife with her suitcase and rollable carry-on (which she has enough trouble with in the airport invariably dragging it because it doesn't have the new style turnable wheels). Not to mention dealing with the luggage on the train. I've seen other people do it when going to LGA. Not for me.

Because you sounded unhappy about paying $280 to park (plus gas and tolls both ways) I figured the perhaps $80 Uber/taxi costs  plus the train fare might be a good alternative - but nothing is perfect.  You might want to explore car service to/from home and cruise terminal.

53 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Because you sounded unhappy about paying $280 to park (plus gas and tolls both ways) I figured the perhaps $80 Uber/taxi costs  plus the train fare might be a good alternative - but nothing is perfect.  You might want to explore car service to/from home and cruise terminal.

I don't think that anyone should be happy about paying $40 a day to park, but given the alternatives, it's likely the best option for me. Car services are even more expensive than Uber, probably comparable to pier parking once you factor in tips.

Certainly, if we weren't talking about luggage, taking the train is the best option. I typically do that instead of driving into NYC, since the senior rate train ticket is only $12.50 round trip. And parking is only $10 per 24 hours, and free on weekends. So in theory, I could park there for the week for $60 and avoid Uber on the way to the train. But I'd still have to deal with the luggage on the train. As my wife says, we already paid a bunch for the cruise (Oceania), what's another $280 for parking?

Edited by MisterBill99

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

[I]f you watch the cartoon video on their website it states they are located "right across from the terminal". To me 5 blocks south of Pier 88 is not "right across from the terminal".

The word, "directly," used in the context of being across from the cruise terminal, would clearly be wrong. But the word "right"? I don't know that word has a clear meaning in this context. When someone tells you, "I will be right with you," what does the word "right" mean? Is it misleading or not? It seems to have a meaning of being somewhat close, even if not immediately close (geographically or temporally). I get the point of the parking lot operator: they want to convey that they're not far away, not crosstown by the United Nations, but very close to the cruise terminal--an easy walk for most anyone. Yet not directly across the street from the terminal. I hesitate to say that the company is purposefully misleading, but perhaps carelessly misleading? How best to describe the geography without being misleading? I don't that the word "right" does it well, and the company should reconsider its word choice.

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Many discount parking websites like Parkwhiz advertise rates that are inclusive of taxes.

The difference is more like 25% instead of 30, and you would probably need to add a tip to for the person who drives you over and back.

Now, if you can get the rate without that $60 professional fee, it might be worth it. 

I don't know that much about parking websites; most of my understanding comes from having seen the rate signs at the individual facilities. I became somewhat more observant of those posted signs when I noticed that some parking garages charge more for short-time bicycle parking than for short-term automobile parking, that practice having incensed me for being clearly unfair and inequitable. (Under section 20-327.1 of the New York City Administrative Code, parking garages must provide bicycle parking.) When I went to the Parkwhiz website I did not see any information regarding bicycle parking rates, so that leads me to question the accuracy and completeness of the website (NYC law, section 20-324 of the Administrative Code, requires only that accurate and complete rates to be posted at garages, not on websites).

I calculated the percentage for the higher rate for on-pier parking, compared to off-pier parking, to be ($280.00 - $213.22) / $213.22 = 31.32 percent.

You're probably right about the valet having his hand out for a gratuity. On top of a service that seems to be overpriced. If I were to use the garage, then I would probably just use the regular rate, without the valet service, knowing that I can easily walk my baggage the few blocks from the garage to the cruise terminal. That desire reflects a large personal view that I hold, of being not engaging others to do things that I am well capable of doing for myself. In that category also goes such things as carrying my baggage from the hotel lobby to the room (especially if I have just wheeled the baggage ten blocks from the train station to the hotel, I don't need "help" for the last few feet!) or to pay piece for laundry service instead of using the hotel machines myself or dropping off at a laundromat and pay per pound. I will pay others to do for me what I cannot or will not do for myself . . . but I have no desire to self-fund a WPA make-work program!