Guest Staying in other Room than assigned

I am wondering if anyone else has come across this situation and their thoughts on it. What are the downsides or issues to a person being booked into Room A but really part of and will stay in Room B?

We have a cruise booked for 2023. 6 guests across 3 rooms but the layout is Room A - 2ppl, Room B - 3ppl, Room C - 1.

Room C is booked with a fake second guest to get the cheaper group rate that was available.

Room B is where my question is. The 3rd person is really an expected baby that would be less than 1 by sail date. The room is currently booked as 2 people under group rate since baby is not born yet. We have asked and adding the child counts as 3rd, resulting in having to change room types to one that is for more than 2 people. Meaning that room loses the group rate and then gets extra charges added on. It's a $1500 difference at the moment. Which is insane.

I'm trying to think through issues of putting the child in as the actual 2nd guest to Room C. Do they get issued a seapass card?

The main thing I can think of is boarding, the child would need to be with the family member in Room C versus the parent to check in. What about anything on board like the child care?

Or is it easier to move one of the adults over? Would room attendants report any of this?

Thanks

Our group of 30 includes Husband & Wife traveling with a child & single adult male in 2 rooms.  

Wife & child booked in room 1.

Husband & Single Male booked in room 2, & both bought drink packages.

Once onboard, Husband go get key to room 1, & stayed as family of 3 in room 1, while single adult stayed by himself in room 2.

Worked out great.

We've also done this over a dozen times, when Husband & Son in one room, and Wife & Daughter in another room, since they can't book the 2 kids in a room by themselves.  Then we switch & get new room cards once onboard for us adults & kids in their own rooms.

Room attendants had no issues.

Edited by NavyCruiser

The only thig that I am going to say is that every guest will have their own SeaPass card.  It would be used as ID, and getting off the ship.  Assuming this cruise isn't a TA,  a typical cruise 7 day cruise has a 'must be age' of 6 months or older.

I guess you could wait until the baby is born and the parents select a name for the child, and then decide how to book the child.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Our group of 30 includes Husband & Wife traveling with a child & single adult male in 2 rooms.  

Wife & child booked in room 1.

Husband & Single Male booked in room 2, & both bought drink packages.

Once onboard, Husband go get key to room 1, & stayed as family of 3 in room 1, while single adult stayed by himself in room 2.

Worked out great...

Wait, you can ask for a card to another room? We've never needed it before but just figured what you were issued for your Seapass card is what it was.

If that is the case, moving an adult seems like better option. I am not worried about charges.

Was first thinking the kid since so young they use nothing.

It's not a problem to have people sleep in different rooms than booked in.  You can even get guest services to issue an added key to the room if needed.

The one issue is, if the rooms do not share a muster station, if there were an emergency you cannot change muster stations... meaning your baby would have to go to the station with the friend travelling in the room they are technically booked in.  For that reason, you might feel more comfortable moving one parent officially into that room and keeping one of you in your current room with the baby (in which case in an emergency you parents would be separated but at least one of you could stay with your child)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gerbilicous said:

Wait, you can ask for a card to another room? We've never needed it before but just figured what you were issued for your Seapass card is what it was.

If that is the case, moving an adult seems like better option. I am not worried about charges.

Was first thinking the kid since so young they use nothing.

Yes, you keep your original seapass card and are given a blank key to the other room as well.  This has to be done at guest services once on board.

• Like 1

There are no bed checks; people can sleep where they wish.

Assuming the cabins have different stewards and steward does a good job, I tend to give an extra cash tip to a steward who cleans for more guests paperwork says.

Since it is a baby, I think I might put a parent and baby in cabin B, to facilitate any baby related needs (maybe a pack-n-play, distilled water, whatever) and baby will have muster station with at least one parent.  That would put the other parent (on paper) in cabin C.  That parent would carry two cards( one to open cabin B, one for charges/C).  
Note: The above plan might be good or bad depending on beverage package desires.  For example if the two parents want the beverage package but the person in C dies not, moving a parent to C messes things up.  On the other hand, if Dad wants the beverage packages, but neither mom nor C do, than dad+babe and mom+C might work nicely.

• Like 1

Our kids now 29 & 26, has gone on 25+ cruises with us since they were potty trained.

Before that, we left them at home with family, so we can enjoy our cruise.

But it's much easier once they're a little older, maybe 3 - 4+ yrs old, so they can enjoy the kids' club.

BTW, the "kids" now just paid for our room for upcoming family reunion cruise next month...

• Like 2

Yes you can get keycards to have people switch cabins.  But when booking family members in other cabins to get better pricing, consider what will happen if someone cancels or can’t go for whatever reason.

Thanks all for all the info. Sounds like moving an adult is best option. There would be no alcoholic drink package for any, so seems simple enough. Main concern was card access and if breaks any rule. 

Love the community feedback.

It's also far enough away that we'll keep checking to see if pricing for 3 changes. We had just asked what happens when they come and was shocked at price change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Our kids now 29 & 26, has gone on 25+ cruises with us since they were potty trained.

But it's much easier once they're a little older, maybe 3 - 4+ yrs old, so they can enjoy the kids' club.

BTW, the "kids" now just paid for our room for upcoming family reunion cruise next month...

I think this is one of those things that just depends on the family.  My now 23 year old took his first steps on a ship when he was 9 months old.   We travelled often with our kids and thought cruising was far easier than other types of travel with babies and toddlers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Not true.

My wife does bed checks every night, making sure I come back & sleep in our own bed every night... 😉

Haha, point taken.  I’m glad your wife is attentive so you don’t wander off😉.  
So perhaps I should say no bed checks by cruise ship personnel. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I think this is one of those things that just depends on the family.  My now 23 year old took his first steps on a ship when he was 9 months old.   We travelled often with our kids and thought cruising was far easier than other types of travel with babies and toddlers.

Yup, my wife and I have no kids for now and have looked at those with small kids on cruise (or any travel lol) and wonder why would you. Can you enjoy it? but then also we love cruising and would probably still want to do it once we have kids. Our family with child may leave them behind, but you can't know that till closer till.

They just wanted to know how it would change adding the child and close to double price was just big shock.

16 minutes ago, Gerbilicous said:

Thanks all for all the info. Sounds like moving an adult is best option. There would be no alcoholic drink package for any, so seems simple enough. Main concern was card access and if breaks any rule. 

Love the community feedback.

It's also far enough away that we'll keep checking to see if pricing for 3 changes. We had just asked what happens when they come and was shocked at price change.

Edit.  I reread initial post and realized your name is not currently on cabin c.

Edited by Starry Eyes

I booked an CP balcony for Easter 2016 on Oasis for my daughter and family.  Booked a quad with an adjoining cabin next to our wash to provide some flexibility in washing and general dressing tasks.  Although my grandkids were 8 & 6 respectively it was tight and barely able to move about the cabin.

We Christmas gifted a second cruise on Allure for Easter 2018.  This time, I priced 2 CP adjoining cabins and I could not believe that the 2 cabins were cheaper than the quad.  In addition, Royal was running a NR Neighborhood special with perks per cabin of $100 OBC, bottle of wine, and lunch for 2 in a specialty restaurant.  Since my grandkids were young, I placed my daughter with one and my SIL with the other.  Sleeping arrangements-- adults slept in one cabin and the kids in the other.

Followed the same road map for planned the sail on Harmony for Easter 2020, but the pandemic had other plans.

Once you are on the ship they don't care who has booked which cabin or who stays in which cabin. Once on board, go to Guest Services and tell them who will be staying in which cabins and ask for new cards to be made. This happens all the time. The only consideration might be if the cabins are spread out over a big enough area that  they are in different muster stations. Lifeboat capacity could restrict how many people are in a cabin.

8 hours ago, Gerbilicous said:

Room B is where my question is. The 3rd person is really an expected baby that would be less than 1 by sail date. The room is currently booked as 2 people under group rate since baby is not born yet. We have asked and adding the child counts as 3rd, resulting in having to change room types to one that is for more than 2 people. Meaning that room loses the group rate and then gets extra charges added on. It's a $1500 difference at the moment. Which is insane.

Be careful with this.  We could not book a cruise over July 4th because coco cay is considered a sea day.
Anyone less than 1 yr of age cannot sail with 3 straight sea days.
So for us, on the Antem, coco cay was considered a 3rd sea day.  We had to move the cruise back to the end of July when our grandaughter turns 1 the day before we sail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

Be careful with this.  We could not book a cruise over July 4th because coco cay is considered a sea day. 
Anyone less than 1 yr of age cannot sail with 3 straight sea days.
So for us, on the Antem, coco cay was considered a 3rd sea day…

Why is Coco Cay considered a sea day?

15 minutes ago, ocean sounds said:

Why is Coco Cay considered a sea day?

I'm guessing because they often miss it?  All they said is that it's considered a sea day and could not book a child under the age of 1 for cruises that the itinerary is sea day/sea day/coco cay

17 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I LURVE to have adult kids. My daughter hosted me for a week in London last month 😄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gerbilicous said:

I am wondering if anyone else has come across this situation and their thoughts on it. What are the downsides or issues to a person being booked into Room A but really part of and will stay in Room B?

We have a cruise booked for 2023. 6 guests across 3 rooms but the layout is Room A - 2ppl, Room B - 3ppl, Room C - 1.

Room C is booked with a fake second guest to get the cheaper group rate that was available.

I'm trying to think through issues of putting the child in as the actual 2nd guest to Room C. Do they get issued a seapass card?

The main thing I can think of is boarding, the child would need to be with the family member in Room C versus the parent to check in. What about anything on board like the child care?

Or is it easier to move one of the adults over? Would room attendants report any of this?

Thanks

You were given incorrect information about the pricing of group cabins.

If the child will be under 2 you can keep that double occupancy cabin that is part of the group.  You keep the group rate and they can add a third guest to it who must be able to sleep in a pack n play.  You will be charged the same rate that the third guest pays on other cabins as well as the taxes and fees.  While this will be more than moving someone to cabin "C" it will be a lot less than the price you were quoted on the different category outside of the group.

• Thanks 1