Beverage Packages Price Increased

jelayne

Just off the Eclipse April 23 sailing and I have to say that I did not have 1 good mixed drink, aside from the martini bar martini's. Bar tenders IMO were horrible and I really hate to say that. We had the premium pkg as a perk and I would have been disgusted if I had paid additional to upgrade to premium. We ended up just sticking to wine and other non-mixed drinks as we just couldn't find a bartender that could make a great drink, even using the premium spirits. 

We were surprised by the lack of drink making skills as Celebrity typically has a bartender or two that I/we like and will seek out. Not this time...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, floralscent said:

Just off the Eclipse April 23 sailing and I have to say that I did not have 1 good mixed drink, aside from the martini bar martini's. Bar tenders IMO were horrible and I really hate to say that. We had the premium pkg as a perk and I would have been disgusted if I had paid additional to upgrade to premium. We ended up just sticking to wine and other non-mixed drinks as we just couldn't find a bartender that could make a great drink, even using the premium spirits. 

We were surprised by the lack of drink making skills as Celebrity typically has a bartender or two that I/we like and will seek out. Not this time...

My biggest complaint with bartenders onboard (outside of the Martini Bar or when ordering from Luminae) is the inconsistency. One of my favorite drinks onboard is the French Caribbean which is a frozen concoction. On my last cruise on Summit it seemed like every bartender onboard made it differently and at least one bartender was totally clueless about how to make it. That inconsistency happened with other drinks too like Bahama Mamas, Blue Hawaiian...

The cruise line should really have a set bartenders guide for drinks so they all can make them the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

My biggest complaint with bartenders onboard (outside of the Martini Bar or when ordering from Luminae) is the inconsistency. One of my favorite drinks onboard is the French Caribbean which is a frozen concoction. On my last cruise on Summit it seemed like every bartender onboard made it differently and at least one bartender was totally clueless about how to make it. That inconsistency happened with other drinks too like Bahama Mamas, Blue Hawaiian...

The cruise line should really have a set bartenders guide for drinks so they all can make them the same way.

I couldn't agree with you more WonderMan3! Inconsistency is a huge issue for sure.

On the Eclipse and in the Explorers Lounge I asked for a French Martini. This is a drink that a bartender in the Explorers Lounge surprised me with a few years ago on the Solstice. I have asked for this drink in the Exp Lounge on numerous cruises since and everyone has know how to make it...some better than others. This time on the Eclipse the bartender said he didn't know how to make it. Another said she did but was going on break. The original bartender then asked if he could surprise me with a drink and I said 'sure'. He then brings me the worst Appletini I have ever had and I couldn't make myself drink it. I am not picky for the most part but come on Celebrity! Wow...just Wow.

37 minutes ago, floralscent said:

I couldn't agree with you more WonderMan3! Inconsistency is a huge issue for sure.

On the Eclipse and in the Explorers Lounge I asked for a French Martini. This is a drink that a bartender in the Explorers Lounge surprised me with a few years ago on the Solstice. I have asked for this drink in the Exp Lounge on numerous cruises since and everyone has know how to make it...some better than others. This time on the Eclipse the bartender said he didn't know how to make it. Another said she did but was going on break. The original bartender then asked if he could surprise me with a drink and I said 'sure'. He then brings me the worst Appletini I have ever had and I couldn't make myself drink it. I am not picky for the most part but come on Celebrity! Wow...just Wow.

I was on that cruise as well, we spent a lot of at the World Class Bar. Did you try their cocktails?

Can you refresh my memory on where the Explorers lounge is? I missed it but I guess its good I did. I had a hard time finding a good Cadillac margarita until I went to the Ocean View bar of all places 😆 

47 minutes ago, floralscent said:

Are you confusing your cruise lines? There isn’t a Explorer Lounge on any Celebrity ship.

When I log into the site (well it's down for me at this moment). 

I'm unable to purchase a premium drinks package. I can purchase premium non-alcoholic (For £16.28) , but no premium drinks. Seems expensive for the non-alcoholic drinks.  

I booked an inclusive free classic, wifi and tips package.

Is this how it is supposed to work? I'm sure I saw a post saying you need to wait till closer to the time for an upgrade, but that seems a little crazy.

Edited by SeaLegsAl

36 minutes ago, SeaLegsAl said:

When I log into the site (well it's down for me at this moment). 

I'm unable to purchase a premium drinks package. I can purchase premium non-alcoholic (For £16.28) , but no premium drinks. Seems expensive for the non-alcoholic drinks.  

I booked an inclusive free classic, wifi and tips package.

Is this how it is supposed to work? I'm sure I saw a post saying you need to wait till closer to the time for an upgrade, but that seems a little crazy.

PMNA is usually $22/day and I think that's very reasonable.

3 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

PMNA is usually $22/day and I think that's very reasonable.

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. It seems a little expensive given I have the classic alcoholic package right now, especially as everyone seems to be saying an upgrade from classic to premium (alcohol) costs the same and includes non-alcohol. 

I think I'm more interested in why I can't upgrade the classic alcohol package to the premium. That's really my question 🙂

1 hour ago, SeaLegsAl said:

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. It seems a little expensive given I have the classic alcoholic package right now, especially as everyone seems to be saying an upgrade from classic to premium (alcohol) costs the same and includes non-alcohol. 

I think I'm more interested in why I can't upgrade the classic alcohol package to the premium. That's really my question 🙂

I can't recall being able to upgrade the package online yourself, and has (for me) always required a call.

It used to be $10 a day + 20% gratuity ($12/day total), but I'm guessing the upgrade is $14 + 20% ($16.80).

I know the lines are busy, but you should be able to call in to have the upgrade applied.

You may also want to consider adding the elevate or indulge package for $30/$60 a day as these don't appear to have gone up, so might be of more value when you consider the included OBC and drinks package gratuity already being paid.

Edited by Seacrab
clarification on gratuity in the elevate/indulge
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SeaLegsAl said:

I think I'm more interested in why I can't upgrade the classic alcohol package to the premium. That's really my question

I  believe with AI you can't upgrade the drink package online until closer to the sailing.  90 days I believe.

• Thanks 1

I'm still showing the drink package are 59/69 a day per person.... Is there an exact timing on the price increase? Can you upgrade from classic to premium at anytime prior to cruise? I want to make sure I upgrade prior to my November cruise. Do I have to call or can I complete online?

• Thanks 1

Let's face it, the RCCL/Celebrity IT staff has some challenges. The online upgrade has never worked for me (never been available). They have all the information (what is included, what my status is for discount, how much OBC I have). 

So instead it takes a phone call. Normally, not an issue. Now... hours of wait time. However, I was able to upgrade (and got my discount) and use available OBC. This is for a cruise in less than a month. Try calling at different times. You *might* get lucky!

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone 

So no upgrade until 90 days then, and possible not even after that! So the best solution is to ring them up. (I also can't upgrade to elevate or indulge online).

I may give them a call, I rang up originally. So I'm used to the waiting times 🙂

One last question, sorry if I've kinda high jacked a thread, when I go to manage bookings, there is a gratuity section under the “Reservation Details” section. It has :-

Gratuities

£235.60 GBP

That seems a bit odd. Does that just mean they've been paid, or I'll be asked to pay them  at the end (Everything is supposed to be included). If I click on the edit button, it says I can take them off (not wanting the argument over this). 

It seems odd they are there, I'm fully paid up, but I wonder if I will need to pay extra for an  all-inclusive tips included holiday!! 🙂

4 minutes ago, SeaLegsAl said:

One last question, sorry if I've kinda high jacked a thread, when I go to manage bookings, there is a gratuity section under the “Reservation Details” section. It has :-

Gratuities

£235.60 GBP

That seems a bit odd. Does that just mean they've been paid, or I'll be asked to pay them  at the end (Everything is supposed to be included). If I click on the edit button, it says I can take them off (not wanting the argument over this). 

It seems odd they are there, I'm fully paid up, but I wonder if I will need to pay extra for an  all-inclusive tips included holiday!! 🙂

That will vanish once they 'unpack' the bundle of promotions under the 'Always included' package.

This can cause problems if it has not been done by the time you are making final payment, but usually easy to resolve on the phone if they will unbundle the promotion manually.

Edited by Mark_T

2 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

That will vanish once they 'unpack' the bundle of promotions under the 'Always included' package.

This can cause problems if it has not been done by the time you are making final payment, but usually easy to resolve on the phone if they will unbundle the promotion manually.

Ah, I have made the final payment!!

i've a feeling I have a long call wait to sort this out. Think I may just wait till 90 days however, as it may be down to the final payment date situation with drinks upgrades also. 

It was supposed to be easier having everything included 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SeaLegsAl said:

Ah, I have made the final payment!!

Just check that what you have paid makes sense.

I made a new reservation earlier this week and the initial invoice shows the correct amount owed, but if I look online it shows the amount plus the gratuities, if I made the final payment now based on that number I would be overpaying...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Just check that what you have paid makes sense.

I made a new reservation earlier this week and the initial invoice shows the correct amount owed, but if I look online it shows the amount plus the gratuities, if I made the final payment now based on that number I would be overpaying...

The amount on the invoice matched the amount I needed to pay. It just had the gratuity section editable, with a gratuity amount as a pre-pay. 

It would have allowed me to take it off, possibly. 

I just paid the full amount as everything matched and presumed that was just a weird way they did things. If anything, I possibly shouldn't have seen that section, as I'm on an all-inclusive deal.

What you should see when the promotions are unpacked is that the invoice shows the gratuities being added and then a full discount applied to balance them out.

What tends to happen is they get added early on and increase the invoice total, until the promotion gets unpacked so mistakes can occur.

As long as you've paid what you should have just ignore that part for now.

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

What you should see when the promotions are unpacked is that the invoice shows the gratuities being added and then a full discount applied to balance them out.

What tends to happen is they get added early on and increase the invoice total, until the promotion gets unpacked so mistakes can occur.

As long as you've paid what you should have just ignore that part for now.

That sounds like the invoice, unpacked, that we received. An addition of a gratuity charge, followed by a discount for it of the same amount. 

It just worried me that I could see them on the online reservation screen. Probably just the online side not being synced. 

My last cruise was on a RCC and the drinks package had tips included but every day I was charged.

It gave me something to do every morning reversing everything,  and I got to know the guest services quite well 🙂