Noise level on ships

Michidoeme

1 hour ago, Cheviot1 said:

On the Celebrity Reflection (S class) at the moment and the noise level on deck is unbearable. I’m all in favour of everyone having fun but there is no possibility of having a relaxing time anywhere near the pool. Loud ‘thump thump’ techno music is all pervading and it simply isn’t possible to speak to someone next to you. 
Sound levels in the theatre are also pretty loud but not unbearable. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We're on the Equinox at the moment and the experience is exactly same. I'm gobsmacked that people would consciously choose to endure that level of noise for so long; the few times we have to go to the upper decks/pool area, we're in and out as fast as possible to avoid ear damage ;o). Sadly, the sound levels in the lower deck areas are also very loud much of the time as well. I'm perfectly fine with loud sound levels in the Theater, but in the atrium areas the sound is way too loud for our taste. FWIW, we're Princess regulars, our last trip being in February. The sound levels on Princess are overall definitely lower than here on X.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We find each of our 67 cruises with X varies with regard to sound. We find say something to an officer, bartender or guest relations. If nothing changes go to another venue.  It happens about the same for the last 30 years. Music selection is the same. 

On 4/3/2023 at 8:15 PM, zitsky said:

You haven’t figured out yet that people don’t like loud continuous noise?  Ever hear of tinnitus?  I have it and don’t want to make it worse.  I had no idea it was a problem either.

I have it also - it is definitely nothing to take lightly.  No cure and it never ends - non-stop ringing. People who don't have it have no idea how bad it can be. They also don't realize that there are many ways to get it - from a build-up of loud noises over the years to perhaps one loud incident.  Believe it or not, mine went from very minor (almost unnoticeable) to moderate and very annoying after attending my dream concert - Paul McCartney.   I always carry ear plugs with me and sometimes I find it necessary to use them onboard.  That should not have to be the case, but unfortunately it is.  In particular I've found the main theater on Apex horrendously loud, as well as sometimes in the bar areas.

• Thanks 2

There is a saying about the music bring too loud..

Atrium ( my neighbor calls it the incubator) is usually quiet..I avoid it. 

Sailed Apex recently, pool DJ was great..sound system in the theater was the best I have heard at sea. 

FYI, turning 60 in July. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

17 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I have it also - it is definitely nothing to take lightly.  No cure and it never ends - non-stop ringing. People who don't have it have no idea how bad it can be. They also don't realize that there are many ways to get it - from a build-up of loud noises over the years to perhaps one loud incident.  Believe it or not, mine went from very minor (almost unnoticeable) to moderate and very annoying after attending my dream concert - Paul McCartney.   I always carry ear plugs with me and sometimes I find it necessary to use them onboard.  That should not have to be the case, but unfortunately it is.  In particular I've found the main theater on Apex horrendously loud, as well as sometimes in the bar areas.

Once again the website ate another post.

I got tinnitus when we blew up a bomb on the set of the Mission Impossible movie.  It wasn’t from those wax removal kits with the blue bulb.

Sad thing are the many people that post in the Reddit forum about wanting to hurt themselves.

56 minutes ago, davekathy said:

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”.

Truth..^^^

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”.

Meh.

Everyone today has a headset or Bluetooth speaker.  It’s pretty easy to keep the noise low and let people listen to their own music.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cheviot1 said:

That is certainly where the benefits of the popular silent disco can be appreciated. lol 

I don’t like the silent disco.  I’m jealous of people that can dance.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Meh.

Everyone today has a headset or Bluetooth speaker.  It’s pretty easy to keep the noise low and let people listen to their own music.

Bluetooth speakers blasting different music everywhere sounds like the worst thing ever.  

Noise cancelling headphones are a different story..me, give me the poolside DJ vibe all afternoon.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t like the silent disco.  I’m jealous of people that can dance.

Silent Disco with 3 live DJ's is the best thing...Celebrity is the only cruise I have seen do it this way..at least once per cruise.  

Just get in an out of the way space and groove a bit.  🙂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Meh.

Not everyone! I (we) prefer to listen to what Celebrity's is playing at the different venues. 

7 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Silent Disco with 3 live DJ's is the best thing...Celebrity is the only cruise I have seen do it this way..at least once per cruise.  

Just get in an out of the way space and groove a bit.  🙂

How does one do this “grooving”, exactly?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes plus some hearing loss. Both from an mortar explosion when I was 18 years old.  I also wear hearing aids.

So you don’t have a problem with Celebrity 90 decibel music around the ship?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

So you don’t have a problem with Celebrity 90 decibel music around the ship?

Believe me I know exactly what it's like living with tinnitus. I've been living with it for over 53 years. I've learned to live with it. 

No and provide your source that the 90 dB rating is at all venues. I don't buy it. I also ride a Harley Davidson and still play the drums. 

Likewise, I have lived with tinnitus for many years although I am lucky as it is mostly managed using hearing aids. However the very loud music on the ship can be even more intrusive when wearing them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cheviot1 said:

Likewise, I have lived with tinnitus for many years although I am lucky as it is mostly managed using hearing aids. However the very loud music on the ship can be even more intrusive when wearing them. 

Agree the hearing aids do help with managing tinnitus. Technology for them has come a long way (size, fit, adjustments) compared to earlier models.

Remove your hearing aids or turn them down or off. Depending what I'm doing I adjust them.  

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Believe me I know exactly what it's like living with tinnitus. I've been living with it for over 53 years. I've learned to live with it. 

No and provide your source that the 90 dB rating is at all venues. I don't buy it. I also ride a Harley Davidson and still play the drums. 

I don’t walk around with a decibel meter.  

My comment is based on posts by OTHER Cruise Critic members and my own experience in the theater and the Retreat.

I don’t like music that is loud enough to be heard while wearing Soundcore Q35 headphones in noise canceling mode.

Yea, those Harleys are annoying.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 11:18 AM, Londoncruising1971 said:

We've not long returned from the inaugural Beyond cruise 

We were in the aft suite directly above Eden (7322)

The music in Eden is very atmospheric, but with a very heavy bass. This went on until around 11.30pm

We called the front desk at 11,30pm when it was still causing us problems. They agreed that it was loud and told us they would adjust the bass in the coming days. Next day, same problem and we asked to be moved.

We were moved to a midship sky suite the next day. To be fair to X, they gave us each £875 future cruise credit which was more than the difference in cost of aft and midship.

The issue was very well dealt with, but still a little frustrating. I'm not sure how they will deal with lessening the noise in that suite. I'm certain there will be more complaints to come

Not good (except for your compensation!). We are booked on the 7-night Ascent Maiden Voyage in Infinite Veranda 6298. There are two cabins Porthole Verandas aft of us plus the sunset cabins. We will probably be positioned over the Eden Cafe or over the tables for Eden Cafe. Do you think the heavy base would be loud enough to reach our cabin (3rd last cabin on deck 6 before the sunset cabins). We have been in a Sunset Veranda on E-class before but probably deck 8 or above and had no issues with noise). One good thing about the Infinite Veranda is that we can "close" the doors to the veranda part of the cabin. We do like being aft because usually it is quieter there.

Edited by TourDeCruise

32 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t walk around with a decibel meter.  

My comment is based on posts by OTHER Cruise Critic members and my own experience in the theater and the Retreat.

I don’t like music that is loud enough to be heard while wearing Soundcore Q35 headphones in noise canceling mode.

Yea, those Harleys are annoying.

Oh, what you've read it on CC. 😂  Maybe they use an uncalibrated app that measures dB (?). So you don't know actually what the dB is based on your experience.  Your next cruise be sure to tell the band or entertainment director you don't like the music volume while standing there wearing your "Soundcore Q35 headphones in noise canceling mode". Hopefully you are noting all this on your PCS and not just CC. 

BTW, not all Harley or other motorcycle exhaust are created equally. What you find annoying is not annoying to others. I'd explain it to ya, but you still wouldn't understand.  

Edited by davekathy