Rome Colosseum tickets - any company recommendations please

Niki071

3 hours ago, Niki071 said:

we are trying to book tickets for the Colosseum for later this month but not sure which company to go with. Any suggestions or advice please? Thank you 

https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php?option=com_snapp&view=products&catalogid=ADAE8874-AE4B-55B9-02FB-0167A81C0247&snappTemplate=template3&lang=en

Official site for tickets!!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Our family will be in Rome on Tuesday, September 13.   My son and DIL would like to see the floor/underground of the Colosseum, but with limited time in Rome that day, they want to spend an hour +/- before going over to The Forum.   The Wonders of the Colosseum: Visiting the Underground and Arena Didactic from Coop Culture looks  like it will get them what they want.  Has anyone done this tour?  

On 5/14/2022 at 7:58 PM, pikwe012 said:

Indeed, there is absolutely no need to pay more for a third party vendor.

Yet be advised that you might need to check the site for tickets often. Quite odtwn all time slots sell out immediately  but become available again later.

7 hours ago, bbqbears said:

Our family will be in Rome on Tuesday, September 13.   My son and DIL would like to see the floor/underground of the Colosseum, but with limited time in Rome that day, they want to spend an hour +/- before going over to The Forum.   The Wonders of the Colosseum: Visiting the Underground and Arena Didactic from Coop Culture looks  like it will get them what they want.  Has anyone done this tour?  

Yes, I habe done this tour. Indeed the underground part has its own interesting sights and fascination.

Yet, one hour will not be enough for the colosseum part of the tour.

When we did it there was a chance to leave about 2/3 through, but what a waste would that have been.

The tour is excellent. If you can, book through the official coopculture.it site. Third party vendors buy the tickets there, charge you three times the amount, and just deliver you to the official tour. The problem is that third party vendors use bots to scoop up the tickets the instant they are available on the website.  However, coopculture releases additional tickets closer to the date. So, keep checking.

By the way, there may be more tickets in Italian and Spanish.  When you are in the Colosseum you could stand with one of the English groups instead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

By the way, there may be more tickets in Italian and Spanish.  When you are in the Colosseum you could stand with one of the English groups instead. 

Or listen to the available audioguide (app) in your phone. 

Thank you for all the great tips.  Yes, I've been worried that we won't be able to get tickets.  My son and DIL are very excited-but I can't get them to make up their mind about what they want to do.  I think I will just buy the tickets!  Marazul-I laughed when I read your response.  That is exactly what my husband and I used to do.  I don't think we ever paid for a tour-we just strolled relatively close to the tour group. For shame! 

20 hours ago, bbqbears said:

Thank you for all the great tips.  Yes, I've been worried that we won't be able to get tickets.  My son and DIL are very excited-but I can't get them to make up their mind about what they want to do.  I think I will just buy the tickets!  Marazul-I laughed when I read your response.  That is exactly what my husband and I used to do.  I don't think we ever paid for a tour-we just strolled relatively close to the tour group. For shame! 

Well, that's enterprising 😉, but I didn't suggest not to pay.  You can't get into the area where the tours start without paying for a tour.  I said you can pay for a tour in Spanish or Italian to get in and then join one of the English tours.  They are all the same price and start from the same crowded area in the Colosseum

They will probably give you earphones to join the group.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:26 PM, bbqbears said:

We just took this tour this past week. It was excellent! Booking through coop culture was the more challenging part. When we got there, we realized why this was the case. Our tour was for 10.30 am. On the ticket it says to get there 15 min ahead of time. On arrival, we joined the big group of people who were waiting for the English guided tour. A staff member looked at our tickets and then sent us to wait by another sign where there was no one waiting. Turns out group 1 was for 10.15 and did not include the underground. The tours start 15 min after the time that is listed. So we waited and at 10.30 am, still no one showed up for our tour. The staff member assured me that it was running. Sure enough just after 10.30, a whole tour group showed up with their guide to join our group of 4. They had exactly 21 pp to make up the group. For the tour or the underground, they were transferred to the Coop Culture guide who joined us just before 10.45. I felt so lucky to have been able to get our tickets when clearly the other 21 for the time slot were purchased by a 3rd party provider. 

I had followed tips I found in this forum for purchasing the tickets but in the end there is a bit of luck. The tickets were released at pretty much exactly 1 month before the day including the time. So I got the tickets on Tuesday June 7 at 4.30 EST for July 7 at 10.30 am Rome time. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Do you remember which entrance gate you used?  We purchased tickets to include underground tour directly from the official Colosseum site, but unsure which entry gate to use.  Unfortunately it’s not listed on the electronic ticket.  Thank you.

14 hours ago, Lknight said:

Do you remember which entrance gate you used?  We purchased tickets to include underground tour directly from the official Colosseum site, but unsure which entry gate to use.  Unfortunately it’s not listed on the electronic ticket.  Thank you.

There is only one entrance gate for tours.  It is at the side of the Colosseum facing the Roman Forum.   As you go in they will point you to where the English tours start.  Once you are in the area there are staff members that will tell you where your group starts.

We booked the Colosseum Tour with Underground, Arena & Gladiator Gate with Roman Forum   with LivTours last month.  The time was changed from 1pm to 2pm but that wasn't an issue for us.   The have a max of 6 people on your tour.  We had looked to book the official one but it was sold out when I checked and since this was the one tour we both REALLY wanted to do, we booked with LivTours.  We talked to a few others that had booked with other tour guides (sorry, i dont know which) that had their tours cancelled.  We spent an hour or so in the Roman Forum, then went straight to Underground (make sure the names on your tickets match exactly the name on your photo ID.  One of the people in our group almost had an issue with security as she had put a nickname.  We ended the tour in the Colosseum on the 2nd floor and could stay until we wanted to leave.  Our guide was amazing, his English was superb as was his knowledge. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:26 PM, bbqbears said:

Yes. That is the best tour. The tour is about one hour, but you need to allow more time to enter and join your group.

• 2 weeks later...

Coopculture has to be one of the worst sites I've ever dealt with.  Ugh.  I was on for 2 hours yesterday and finally got the tickets I wanted but it errored out after I paid.  I just received an email that my tickets were refunded and I have to try again.  Does anyone know if you buy the Roma Pass and get the tickets through there, can you add on the Arena and the Underground?  or can you buy those tickets at in Rome at the office?  

5 hours ago, gail-s said:

Coopculture has to be one of the worst sites I've ever dealt with.  Ugh.  I was on for 2 hours yesterday and finally got the tickets I wanted but it errored out after I paid.  I just received an email that my tickets were refunded and I have to try again.  Does anyone know if you buy the Roma Pass and get the tickets through there, can you add on the Arena and the Underground?  or can you buy those tickets at in Rome at the office?  

Unfortunately it has been years since I've tried to purchase tickets other than through Coopculture, so I can't answer your question. However, I would advise you to go to Tripadvisor's Rome discussion forum and ask your question there. That site has some local residents and guides who might be better able to answer your questions or provide possible solutions. (There may be a box on the right hand side with frequently asked questions, including about Colosseum tickets, but check to make sure responses are fairly recent -- sometimes they don't update them regularly.

Another possibility is always to go through one of the tour providers who buy up the tickets. 😒  Not ideal but when you have limited time and want to see the Colosseum, sometimes you have to just make it work. I always hear good reviews about Rome Through Eternity as a tour provider -- maybe check out what they offer?

Thanks. I reached out to the site and was told that they will open more tickets a week prior to when they are to be used.  That falls on our only at sea day on our cruise so I may wait and try to get tickets then.  We'll see.  Just very disappointing to do all of that and then have them be oops, sorry, no tickets for you.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:35 AM, carlmm said:

Indeed, there is absolutely no need to pay more for a third party vendor.

Yet be advised that you might need to check the site for tickets often. Quite odtwn all time slots sell out immediately  but become available again later.

Hi, We don't need colosseum tickets until Oct. I know coopculture.it releases tickets exactly 30 days b4.  I've been monitoring the site everyday to see if they do release any tickets later. Don't see any more tickets released later. Oct is shoulder season, so I'm not sure if the tickets for the underground will be easier to get in Sept.  Any advice would be appreciated.  TIA

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2023 at 3:55 PM, TeamCan said:

Hi, We don't need colosseum tickets until Oct. I know coopculture.it releases tickets exactly 30 days b4.  I've been monitoring the site everyday to see if they do release any tickets later. Don't see any more tickets released later. Oct is shoulder season, so I'm not sure if the tickets for the underground will be easier to get in Sept.  Any advice would be appreciated.  TIA

Have you heard anything about what time of day they usually release tickets?

We live in the US Pacific time zone which means the Italy work day is roughly from Midnight to 8 AM in our time zone. It would be nice to have a clue on whether to stay up very late or get up very early. 

22 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

We live in the US Pacific time zone which means the Italy work day is roughly from Midnight to 8 AM in our time zone. It would be nice to have a clue on whether to stay up very late or get up very early. 

Midnight in Italy.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:02 PM, new_cruiser said:

We live in PST too.  I think the tickets are released 12am PST (9am Rometime). The tickets are released but you can't see any, then about 20min later- 12:20amPST, the day turns pink so no tickets available-bots have bought them up. Sometimes, more tickets are released, or only 1 available.  I stopped trying after a few attempts.