Art at the Table?? Not for everyone?

Hey All,

After watching YouTube Videos of the above dessert at Fahrenheit 555 although I think this would be awesome for my husband and I to try, my 13- and 11-year-old I know will think it's terrible and wouldn't even try a bite.  With that said, can they order a dessert too, or if it's the art of the table this counts for every desert order? 

I'm surprised the kids wouldn't like it. Perhaps it has changed from when we did it about three years ago.

When we did it the watching was quite interesting in that you didn't know what the end would look like and it was kind of like watching a magic act. Poof! and there was something you would not have guessed at the beginning. And there was lots of sugar high to be had when the eating came also.

We enjoyed it the one time, but didn't do it again. You feel like you are the center of attention in the place and as previously mentioned it is a novelty that probably would not be as interesting the second time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laplayaperson said:

Hey All,

After watching YouTube Videos of the above dessert at Fahrenheit 555 although I think this would be awesome for my husband and I to try, my 13- and 11-year-old I know will think it's terrible and wouldn't even try a bite.  With that said, can they order a dessert too, or if it's the art of the table this counts for every desert order? 

I'd order it for the entertainment/wow factor, even if they don't allow the kids to order other dessert. They could have some dessert from the buffet after 555. Cherry On Top on some ships have ice cream/sundaes until 11:30. Also, some of the coffee venues have sweets and milkshakes at Shake Spot.

• Like 1

It's fun to order and watch... but disgusting to eat. A bunch of gross gummies. Better off watching some other table order it and stick with a traditional desert.  Order the chocolate sphere if you want to watch something fun... at least it's edible after it does it's thing.

Edited by WKUTopperFan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WKUTopperFan said:

It's fun to order and watch... but disgusting to eat. A bunch of gross gummies. Better off watching some other table order it and stick with a traditional desert.  Order the chocolate sphere if you want to watch something fun... at least it's edible after it does it's thing.

The big egg thing with the cake and ice cream was pretty neat.  The big board with swirls, etc -- I don't get it.  

• Like 1

We watched the table next to us have it.  We decided it wasn't for us - just too much food by the end of the meal to want all that dessert.  Sometimes, we ask if they will deliver our desserts to our room so we can have it much later, just too much food to also enjoy dessert at the table.

• Like 1

I concur with the above, I really loved the experience and some parts were nice, but it was a bit odd taste-wise. It was a lot of sweets & fudge etc, so probably ideal for kids to pick at. I thought the ice cream was lovely, and glad we did it the once, but it was more of an experience than a desert. 😆

• Like 2

I saw them do it at the table next to us once and quickly realized that it wasn't for us.  The gummies and things on the table didn't look appealing to me.  Personally I'd rather have a dessert like cake or cheesecake, even if I take it to go.  I'm sure it's more about the experience, but I'd rather just eat something good lol. 

• Haha 1

We did this last month on Mardi Gras, and I agree, it's fun to do once.  I don't remember a lot of wasted food, but there were 5 of us.  I remember the ice cream being really good (I'd think kids would like that?).  Yes, the gummy squares are kind of unique but I don't recall there being all that many of them.    

I actually just pulled up our pictures form the trip because I remembered it differently from the youtube video I found.  In our case we had 2 white chocolate spheres which contained ice cream sundaes (with multiple ice cream flavors and toppings). 

• Like 1

Someone ordered it nearby while I was eating and I was able to check it out.  That was enough for me and I'd hate to have the person spend time doing it when I know I won't eat it.

I'm not a dessert/sweets person (unless it's Baked Alaska)

We wanted to order it on the 4/17 Pride cruise but the waitress told us we couldn't because we were usint the Steakhouse dinner you get when you become Diamond. I was disappointed.  

Soooo we had the art at the table with our "kids" (son and DIL) on Mardi Gras in March.  I love candy but just don't eat it much any more so I was all about this - I loved the jelly gummies (and the ice cream and basically everything).  That being said I agree with the others that it was likely a one and done.  Next time I'd get the cheesecake.  However, I think kids would like it more than most adults would?

• Like 2

We've done it once for an anniversary dinner at the steakhouse and really enjoyed it. I didn't think it was disgusting at all. There were only 4 gummies. The other little things in addition to the ice cream sphere were kind of like brownies and fudge. We were full from our steak and weren't able to finish it, but we really liked what we were able to eat.

IMG_9224.thumb.jpg.5c2f33953288dfa4339de3cdf3ca5e47.jpg

IMG_9226.thumb.jpg.7be1db3eb54f79c3f725ab051582797a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

We've done it once for an anniversary dinner at the steakhouse and really enjoyed it. I didn't think it was disgusting at all. There were only 4 gummies. The other little things in addition to the ice cream sphere were kind of like brownies and fudge. We were full from our steak and weren't able to finish it, but we really liked what we were able to eat.

Ah, yes this looks exactly like what we received (though I was able to convince them to double the raspberry syrup. Absolutely delicious. 

• Like 2

We ate in the steakhouse on the Valor in February and didn't see anything on the menu about everyone having to order Art at the Table.  I would just ask your wait staff when you order and see what they say.  They are usually very accommodating.  

Our experience was horrible with the steakhouse in general and the art of the table was completely laughable. They brought out a commercial grade white cutting board with two things of dessert sauce. They painted a few dessert sauce streaks, then set a few pieces of candy on it and a hollow ball of chocolate that they broke to reveal a tablespoon of some chocolate syrup. It didn’t even last 20 seconds. This was after having to send back the Waygu steak because it was not marbled or tender. It was impossible to cut.

4 hours ago, Pug Lady said:

We ate in the steakhouse on the Valor in February and didn't see anything on the menu about everyone having to order Art at the Table.  I would just ask your wait staff when you order and see what they say.  They are usually very accommodating.  

The waitress pushed it and my husband said ok. I said I wanted the cheesecake, I was told I had to get the art of the table because everyone at the table had to get it. I was not happy with the art of the table, and quite frankly, my husband was pissed at the whole thing.

Well, looks like (on the Liberty at least) the Art at the Table is another victim of our times... it was not an option last night. I suppose because of the extra time/person it requires, though minimal, to prepare it for you. I was not going to order it anyway, and went with the Apple Tarte.

i-Jvgck6P-XL.jpg

Tom