Canada-side NEXUS Interview Updates?

lx200gps

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

No idea if all terminals/lines have it, yet, but the HAL terminals have all switched over to facial recognition kiosks so no Global Entry lines anymore.  Fastest disembarkation I have ever done at PEV, even when we used GE.

Can you explain how this system works?

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Can you explain how this system works?

At embarkation you head to a facial recognition kiosk.  The attendant scans your passport and then the machine scans your face and matches it to the passport.  Upon disembarkation, you head to one of the kiosks.  It scans your face and, unless there’s a problem, it authorizes your entry and you’re on your way.

THIS LINK gives additional details.

25 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

At embarkation you head to a facial recognition kiosk.  The attendant scans your passport and then the machine scans your face and matches it to the passport.  Upon disembarkation, you head to one of the kiosks.  It scans your face and, unless there’s a problem, it authorizes your entry and you’re on your way.

THIS LINK gives additional details.

Thanks, both for your very clear description and for the link. 

I wonder if in time this technology might be adopted by the airlines. It would certainly be welcome at Pearson! 

26 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks, both for your very clear description and for the link. 

I wonder if in time this technology might be adopted by the airlines. It would certainly be welcome at Pearson! 

I imagine that’s an inevitable development.  Anything over those painful check-in kiosks they currently have.  I’ve experienced the facial recognition technology upon arrival in the UK (implemented a number of years ago) as well as at the new e-gates at YYZ.  It seems that Covid has been the catalyst when it comes to ArriveCAN  and E-Gates.

• Thanks 1

Question about the Niagara Center.

I find this very confusing. I've  tried calling the number provided but no one answers.

Do I cross over the border into the US as google maps tells me to do? This notice says NOT to cross . Anyone have any experience here? 

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 6.20.48 PM.jpg

Edited by son3cruisers

19 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

Question about the Niagara Center.

I find this very confusing. I've  tried calling the number provided but no one answers.

Do I cross over the border into the US as google maps tells me to do? This notice says NOT to cross . Anyone have any experience here? 

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 6.20.48 PM.jpg

What it says is not to use the Whirlpool Bridge crossing unless you are a current Nexus member. If you are not, use the Rainbow Bridge to cross into the US to go to the centre for your appointment. 

• Like 1

Just now, gnome12 said:

What it says is not to use the Whirlpool Bridge crossing unless you are a current Nexus member. If you are not, use the Rainbow Bridge to cross into the US to go to the centre for your appointment. 

I didn't realize there are two bridges that crossed over to the US at this location. That makes sense then. Thanks so much.

5 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

I didn't realize there are two bridges that crossed over to the US at this location. That makes sense then. Thanks so much.

Three bridges in that general vicinity, actually!

The enrollment centre is located on the US side of the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge which can only be used by Nexus cardholders. 

Queenston-Lewiston Bridge (about 4 miles north) or Rainbow Bridge (about 2 miles south) can be used instead. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BoatDrinks21 said:

Originally applied in December 2019 with interview scheduled for March 2020.  Just had an interview in the US in May 2022, and received my card 10 days later. What a long ride! 

Same here. My latest card expired in August 2020, but I've been "surviving" on the 24 month grace period they gave us, which will expire this August. Since no Canadian interviews are available, I had to bite the bullet and schedule an interview for late June in Vermont, about 2 hours away. I notice they are very full with few appointments, but occasionally a cancellation does come up, that's the one I grabbed.

What did you bring with you (passport, old NEXUS card, interview appointment sheet?) and how long did the entire process take? I assume you had to do ArriveCan even though you were only in the US for a few minutes?  Thx...

20 hours ago, lx200gps said:

What did you bring with you (passport, old NEXUS card, interview appointment sheet?) and how long did the entire process take? I assume you had to do ArriveCan even though you were only in the US for a few minutes?  Thx...

Passport, old card, interview confirmation. 

Took about 30mins, but they only allowed each interview block in at the same time (the 6 people at 9:00, then 6 at 9:15). 

Had to fill out ArriveCan for the return trip. 

30 minutes ago, BoatDrinks21 said:

Passport, old card, interview confirmation. 

Took about 30mins, but they only allowed each interview block in at the same time (the 6 people at 9:00, then 6 at 9:15). 

Had to fill out ArriveCan for the return trip. 

Perfect, thanks for the confirmation.

55 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Looks like there may be action on opening Canadian Interview sites. Note the last sentence "The CBSA says in an email that Canada and the U.S. are in discussions about when to reopen Canadian enrollment centres."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/nexus-program-backlog-balloons-to-nearly-300-000-applications-1.5924162

Glad someone finally sat up and took notice. Maybe some publicity will light a fire under the CBSA to reopen Canadian centres sooner rather than later. I have booked an interview in Detroit (a 4 hour drive) after failing to find an interview time in Niagara. Would be lovely to book something in Mississauga!

1 hour ago, waiting2retire said:

Glad someone finally sat up and took notice. Maybe some publicity will light a fire under the CBSA to reopen Canadian centres sooner rather than later. I have booked an interview in Detroit (a 4 hour drive) after failing to find an interview time in Niagara. Would be lovely to book something in Mississauga!

Same here, I had to grab an interview in Vermont, "only" a 2 hour drive, since the closest site in upstate New York, only 45 minutes for me, is one of the busiest and has few openings/cancellations.  All I can say is keep checking, literally daily or even more, and something may come up.  Cancellation openings pop up regularly.

7 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Looks like there may be action on opening Canadian Interview sites. Note the last sentence "The CBSA says in an email that Canada and the U.S. are in discussions about when to reopen Canadian enrollment centres."

CBSA has stated that on their website since their announcement on April 4. See post #2. I'm not sure that CTV's reporting reflects any actual movement towards resolution.

In March I applied on line for my Nexus card paid my fee.was notified by months end that I was  approved pending my interview. Realizing that the Canadian Govt still wasn’t back to work starting checking across the border . I’m in Ottawa. Found the Champlain office in the US about 4 hrs from here if crossing at Cornwall.originally had an appt for Aug 29 but someone had told me to call their number and ask if any cancellations.if none call the next day . You can try on the website but you run a chance of losing your original appt .my friend and I both managed to get a cancellation appt on the same morning. In and out in a half hour on April 9 th of this yr. We drove down the evening before and did a little shopping in Plattsburgh. My card arrived 10 days later . Looking at the headlines so glad I got it already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Success!  After persistently (obsessively?) checking the site over the past couple of days, I just booked an appointment in Niagara Falls, which is a one hour drive, for Friday this week. This will be my first Nexus application and will be very glad to have it done with!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 2:40 PM, lx200gps said:

Same here. My latest card expired in August 2020, but I've been "surviving" on the 24 month grace period they gave us, which will expire this August. Since no Canadian interviews are available, I had to bite the bullet and schedule an interview for late June in Vermont, about 2 hours away. I notice they are very full with few appointments, but occasionally a cancellation does come up, that's the one I grabbed.

We're basically in the same boat. DH's expired back in January 2022 but I had applied online for renewal in July 2021 and paid for it at that time (6 months in advance).  I keep checking his online account/application but it still shows "Wait for conditional approval".  Mine expired this past May but I also applied for renewal six months prior to that.

Did you get an email or anything from Nexus saying you should make an appointment for an interview?  I know they've given a two year extension on renewals so we still have time.  I've read that any updated information regarding your application, would be posted to your online account but so far, nothing has changed for us.

1 hour ago, hancogran said:

We're basically in the same boat. DH's expired back in January 2022 but I had applied online for renewal in July 2021 and paid for it at that time (6 months in advance).  I keep checking his online account/application but it still shows "Wait for conditional approval".  Mine expired this past May but I also applied for renewal six months prior to that.

Did you get an email or anything from Nexus saying you should make an appointment for an interview?  I know they've given a two year extension on renewals so we still have time.  I've read that any updated information regarding your application, would be posted to your online account but so far, nothing has changed for us.

My current card expired in August 2020, early in the pandemic. I applied for the renewal that March and was Conditionally Approved almost immediately, pending my interview. From reading posts here on this Forum, it seems that many folks whose card expired "later" in the pandemic were granted complete  approval and didn't even need an interview.  Not sure why your accounts still show "Wait for  Conditional Approval" when I received that approval almost immediately after re-applying. I would certainly keep checking, maybe even try calling them? I am looking at all my Emails going back a few years showing all communications from both the CBSA and from the US side cbp.dhs.gov, and I don't see any actual reminders. Lots of status updates, and a few from the US side stating "There has been a recent change to the status of your application" or "Applicants are encouraged to monitor their e-mail and Trusted Traveler Program account for additional information and/or updates". IOW any reminder would probably be shown on your account when you log in to https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/.  I do note that some of the Emails I received early on actually came from a real human Email address at ttp.cbp.dhs.gov, even giving his name and contact details at the Champlain crossing. Did any of your communications come from a person and not an automated system?  Perhaps you could Email him/her?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

My current card expired in August 2020, early in the pandemic. I applied for the renewal that March and was Conditionally Approved almost immediately, pending my interview. From reading posts here on this Forum, it seems that many folks whose card expired "later" in the pandemic were granted complete  approval and didn't even need an interview.  Not sure why your accounts still show "Wait for  Conditional Approval" when I received that approval almost immediately after re-applying. I would certainly keep checking, maybe even try calling them? I am looking at all my Emails going back a few years showing all communications from both the CBSA and from the US side cbp.dhs.gov, and I don't see any actual reminders. Lots of status updates, and a few from the US side stating "There has been a recent change to the status of your application" or "Applicants are encouraged to monitor their e-mail and Trusted Traveler Program account for additional information and/or updates". IOW any reminder would probably be shown on your account when you log in to https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/.  I do note that some of the Emails I received early on actually came from a real human Email address at ttp.cbp.dhs.gov, even giving his name and contact details at the Champlain crossing. Did any of your communications come from a person and not an automated system?  Perhaps you could Email him/her?

Thanks so much for your help.  I went back to check all my Nexus emails since  2016  when we first applied for our Nexus card, but they are all automated.   

I did find a few phone numbers online so I may try calling to get a status update.   No doubt, our applications are in that approx. 300,000 backlog. 😞   Good thing they gave us all an extension .

2 hours ago, hancogran said:

applied online for renewal in July 2021 and paid for it at that time (6 months in advance).  I keep checking his online account/application but it still shows "Wait for conditional approval". 

Wow.  My renewal sat at “Wait for Conditional Approval” for 3 months and I thought that was long.  I wonder if anyone else has the same timelines?  I guess they really do need that two year extension.  If it was me, I wouldn’t push it because I’d enjoy the free years I was getting.  😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Wow.  My renewal sat at “Wait for Conditional Approval” for 3 months and I thought that was long.  I wonder if anyone else has the same timelines?  I guess they really do need that two year extension.  If it was me, I wouldn’t push it because I’d enjoy the free years I was getting.  😂

That's why I love this Canadian forum!  People are so helpful and hearing from others with similar cases makes things a little brighter!  lol    I'm sure once the Canadian offices open, things will (hopefully) move a bit quicker but as long as we're still able to cross using our expired card, no point complaining! 👍

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hancogran said:

That's why I love this Canadian forum!  People are so helpful and hearing from others with similar cases makes things a little brighter!  lol    I'm sure once the Canadian offices open, things will (hopefully) move a bit quicker but as long as we're still able to cross using our expired card, no point complaining! 👍

I was trying to find old emails to refresh my memory on timelines but finally had to resort to pulling an old post.  My experience was pre-pandemic (March - June 2019) so things are definitely much worse now.  Back then they were only doing one-year extensions.

• Thanks 1