Unclear on disembarkation timing for Alaska cruise

We are sailing on the Mariner from Vancouver to Seward with disembarkation on June 8. This is our first ever cruise (so darn excited!) and I am unclear on how the timing of disembarkation works in regard to our red-eye flight home.

We get into Seward at 6:00 am and our flight home is not until 9:00 pm that evening. I assume there are multiple shuttle buses that leave the ship for Anchorage airport throughout the morning/afternoon and guests are assigned based on their flight schedules. Regent guidance says "plan to leave the ship soon after arrival in port" - yikes! - really?

Any idea when someone like us will leave the ship when our flight is not until 9:00 pm? I am trying to decide if we need to plan an activity for when we arrive in Anchorage so we aren't sitting in the airport for hours. Our group is just 4 retired folks, no kids to entertain!

Thanks

49 minutes ago, NanJ0508 said:

We are sailing on the Mariner from Vancouver to Seward with disembarkation on June 8. This is our first ever cruise (so darn excited!) and I am unclear on how the timing of disembarkation works in regard to our red-eye flight home.

We get into Seward at 6:00 am and our flight home is not until 9:00 pm that evening. I assume there are multiple shuttle buses that leave the ship for Anchorage airport throughout the morning/afternoon and guests are assigned based on their flight schedules. Regent guidance says "plan to leave the ship soon after arrival in port" - yikes! - really?

Any idea when someone like us will leave the ship when our flight is not until 9:00 pm? I am trying to decide if we need to plan an activity for when we arrive in Anchorage so we aren't sitting in the airport for hours. Our group is just 4 retired folks, no kids to entertain!

Thanks

That is true...you will be asked to vacate your suite by 8am so Housekeeping can get ready for arriving guests.

Regent may offer some disembarkation-day tours that end at the airport but you might consider doing something on your own to take up the time and/or get away room in a hotel.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where in SC you're gonna be flying into (assuming SC based on your location - we usually fly into CLT or GSP if possible) but the fact of the matter is that there aren't a lot of flights out of ANC so there's not a lot to choose from.  I'd contact your TA if you used one or Regent if you didn't to see what options they may have - it's a good 2 to 2.5 hours from Seward to Anchorage as I recall or there's a train that can take you there as well.

I'd check alaskatrain.com and toursbylocals.com, both will give you some options. 

Edited by UUNetBill

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

That is true...you will be asked to vacate your suite by 8am so Housekeeping can get ready for arriving guests.

Regent may offer some disembarkation-day tours that end at the airport but you might consider doing something on your own to take up the time and/or get away room in a hotel.

and I'd just add that while you can stay on the ship for a while after you have to be out of your suite (like having breakfast), they'll have you off by 9 AM at the latest.

• Like 2

After boarding, talk to the Concierge and/or Excursion Desk rep.  Inquire as to availability of a Regent-sponsored Tour to fill in some of the time.  Other guests will probably be in a similar situation. 

Even better:  before boarding--ask your Travel Agent and/or call Regent direct for assistance on this. 

Last thought.  Anchorage Airport is a nice facility.  Recently upgraded/updated.  Was there January, 2020 on another matter. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely ask Regent for input because, as you say, many people end up on the red-eye out of Anchorage.

Do you know if there is a way to store our baggage if we leave the airport for one of these suggestions? 

If on Regent tour they will put your luggage on a separate vehicle and you will just take your hand luggage (valuables) on the tour.  You will meet up with your luggage at the airport.  

You are choosing a fantastic ship and a fantastic itinerary for your first cruise.

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

If on Regent tour they will put your luggage on a separate vehicle and you will just take your hand luggage (valuables) on the tour.  You will meet up with your luggage at the airport.  

You are choosing a fantastic ship and a fantastic itinerary for your first cruise.

That is good to hear - thank you! We had booked a Princess cruise to Alaska before Covid hit and that, of course, was canceled and we got all of our money back. In planning this trip the TA suggested Regent if we wanted a more luxurious experience. So looking forward to it!

4 hours ago, NanJ0508 said:

Thanks

I have been to alaska twice and each time in anchorage we have eaten at Mooses Tooth. A great Pizzeria and they have great beer. Not in the center of town either. Moosestooth.net

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm not sure where in SC you're gonna be flying into (assuming SC based on your location - we usually fly into CLT or GSP if possible) but the fact of the matter is that there aren't a lot of flights out of ANC so there's not a lot to choose from.  I'd contact your TA if you used one or Regent if you didn't to see what options they may have - it's a good 2 to 2.5 hours from Seward to Anchorage as I recall or there's a train that can take you there as well.

I'd check alaskatrain.com and toursbylocals.com, both will give you some options. 

We are up the road from you in Spartanburg County and will be flying out/into GSP. Our flight schedule is just awful - two layovers going to Vancouver and then the red-eye home. Our TA said flights are really limited these days so she couldn't get us anything any better for the outbound leg .I'll check the sites you recommended. Thanks.

My advise is to rent a car in Seward and drive to Anchorage.  It is a beautiful drive.  We have done it many times.  You can stop by the wildlife refuge which is right on the way—one of my favorite places ever, and stop somewhere for a nice late lunch/early dinner.

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

My advise is to rent a car in Seward and drive to Anchorage.  It is a beautiful drive.  We have done it many times.  You can stop by the wildlife refuge which is right on the way—one of my favorite places ever, and stop somewhere for a nice late lunch/early dinner.

That is a very appealing idea! We have been watching a Nat Geo program about the wildlife refuge and marine center in Seward.

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

A second to Rachel’s idea. We have done this 5 of the six times we have sailed to Alaska. Very easy to pick up the car and a wonderful drive. You will arrive on your on schedule after doing what interest you.