Iona no show for Geiranger

Hollers

28 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

G218 has not been changed on the website. It shows Geiranger stop as afternoon and depart early evening...not Geiranger Fjord but Geiranger itself. Cruises after 218. ie 220, 221 and 222  distinctly show Iona going to Geiranger for most of the day. Is this NOT mis-selling if they are not going there?If I was to book any of these cruises to go there and P&O knew they were not going there  would that not be mis-selling?

This is the main reason why I have cancelled my Iona September cruise which was due to berth at Geiranger, i am not risking it. With experience of Hellesylt it is very nice but you can see it all in an hour or so. Haugosund is a disappointment to many. I was aware of this so did not bother to get of the ship that day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

This is the main reason why I have cancelled my Iona September cruise which was due to berth at Geiranger, i am not risking it. With experience of Hellesylt it is very nice but you can see it all in an hour or so. Haugosund is a disappointment to many. I was aware of this so did not bother to get of the ship that day.

I was going to book another Iona cruise in Sept but have swapped to the Britannia instead. We have one booked for the Fjords next year but have cancelled that. It looks like we may well be looking for another cruise line that has at least a vague idea of customer relations. I am afraid that P&O are becoming one of the worst cruise lines  out there. Each cruise is a mystery cruise so what is the point of an itinery?

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 2:54 AM, PauMorj said:

The Norwegian Fjords Iona cruise (departing very soon) is my first cruise.  Not sure whether I am looking forward to the ship bit but am/was really looking forward to the Fjords.  Since we first booked (were due to go in June 2020 but...) my mobility has unexpectedly (temporarily) changed so taking a coach to the Dalsnibba Sky Deck from the Geiranger stop was going to be a highlight for me.  The cancellation of this stop is a real loss - from the start Hellesylt had very few tours and having a full day there instead of Geiranger is like receiving a pedal car when promised a Ferrari.  I do strongly feel there should be some kind of refund and/or cruise credit for this as it was clearly foreseeable.  I will be writing to P&O (probably fruitlessly).

I do note there is still availability for my cruise.  On the P&O booking pages Geiranger is still advertised as a highlight stop on the cruise - mis-selling?

If it is true that P&O think the Iona is the destination not the Fjords why does it bother leaving Southampton dock?

Im just off Iona yesterday, and they are still offering the Mount Dalsnibba trip from Hellsylt. You get the boat to Gerainger first, and the trip is now more expensive. You may find it on your Cruise personaliser before you go, if not its available to book on the “ my cruise” App…thats not an App…when you board, or via the shore excursions desk. But it gets booked up fairly quickly. Hope that helps.

57 minutes ago, Lockotron said:

For those that have recently been on Iona, how long did she dock in Hellesylt?

We're on G219 and thinking of booking the ferry to Geiranger, but not sure by what time we'd need to be back.

From memory we were supposed to be back on board for 4.30, but the last ferry back with a lot of excursions on was late so we got back on at about 4.45. I think the 4.30 for a 5.00pm sailing will probably remain, but you might find a few late sail aways as the boat takes a long time to get from Geiranger and the schedule is easily delayed if people take a while getting on and off etc. 

I'd love to know how they checked everyone was on board, as they did count people hanging around the docking area, but there were no specific groups other than them asking people who did 'on your own' to stay in one line. Once we were off the coach everyone was just milling around & wandering off. They could have just been counting Norwegians who'd come down to the dock to have a sit down. 🤣

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Amyracecar said:

From memory we were supposed to be back on board for 4.30, but the last ferry back with a lot of excursions on was late so we got back on at about 4.45. I think the 4.30 for a 5.00pm sailing will probably remain, but you might find a few late sail aways as the boat takes a long time to get from Geiranger and the schedule is easily delayed if people take a while getting on and off etc. 

I'd love to know how they checked everyone was on board, as they did count people hanging around the docking area, but there were no specific groups other than them asking people who did 'on your own' to stay in one line. Once we were off the coach everyone was just milling around & wandering off. They could have just been counting Norwegians who'd come down to the dock to have a sit down. 🤣

Its all done by computer when you scan on and off the ship.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 10:07 PM, molecrochip said:

Its all done by computer when you scan on and off the ship.

No, I mean how do they know we got on the ferry. There's nothing scanned for that, nobody was checking who actually got on, and if they find out they're a passenger short on the ship they might still be an hour away in Geiranger! 😄

4 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

No, I mean how do they know we got on the ferry. There's nothing scanned for that, nobody was checking who actually got on, and if they find out they're a passenger short on the ship they might still be an hour away in Geiranger! 😄

That could be interesting, they did not check you on or off the ferry?, a free trip for a crafty local maybe 

16 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

We had our cabin number checked off on a list before we got on the boat at Geiranger.

Before the boat left to return to Iona a member of P&O staff was running around asking around for a particular couple who they hadn't checked off their list. I don't know if they turned up or not but the boat left soon after.

19 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We had our cabin number checked off on a list before we got on the boat at Geiranger.

Before the boat left to return to Iona a member of P&O staff was running around asking around for a particular couple who they hadn't checked off their list. I don't know if they turned up or not but the boat left soon after.

How interesting, were you on the 'on your own' tour or one of the others? When we got there they seemed to be checking the people who did the on your own excursion, but just assumed the ones on full tours were all present. It was quite a long time between us getting off the coach and the ferry arriving, and a lot of people had just wandered off to look at shops etc. Nobody checked my cabin number or anything. As I say, I did see a guy counting before we boarded, but everyone was in a big scrum or straggling around at that point so how he managed it accurately I'll never know (That's the bit where I'd be worried he might count a non-P&O person by accident). He obviously did it fine though as I'm not aware of anyone being left! 🙂 

50 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

How interesting, were you on the 'on your own' tour or one of the others? When we got there they seemed to be checking the people who did the on your own excursion, but just assumed the ones on full tours were all present. It was quite a long time between us getting off the coach and the ferry arriving, and a lot of people had just wandered off to look at shops etc. Nobody checked my cabin number or anything. As I say, I did see a guy counting before we boarded, but everyone was in a big scrum or straggling around at that point so how he managed it accurately I'll never know (That's the bit where I'd be worried he might count a non-P&O person by accident). He obviously did it fine though as I'm not aware of anyone being left! 🙂 

Yes we were on the 'explore Geiranger on your own' excursion. Maybe it was just the non coach trip people who had their cabin numbers checked then?

I did comment to my husband that the boast didn't seem as full on the way back, but maybe it was just less busy at the back where we were.

1 minute ago, SarahHben said:

Yes we were on the 'explore Geiranger on your own' excursion. Maybe it was just the non coach trip people who had their cabin numbers checked then?

I did comment to my husband that the boast didn't seem as full on the way back, but maybe it was just less busy at the back where we were.

That makes sense. Obviously it's most important to check that everyone who'd gone off independently had returned, but perhaps need to also factor in that tour people might have wandered off if it's a long wait! haha.

We sat downstairs near the front and it definitely seemed busier down there than when we went out. I suppose some of the ones who'd been upstairs in the morning were just tired and wanted to sleep on the way back. (plenty did!) 🙂 

Just had an email from P&O confirming Geiranger is to be omitted from our July 23rd Iona cruise, with Hellesylt extended and a Seven Sisters sail-by added. Email text below.

Dear Xxxx,

We hope you are looking forward to your upcoming holiday on board Iona.

For operational berthing reasons, we are unfortunately no longer able to include Geiranger on your upcoming cruise.  We are however delighted that we will be extending our call to Hellesylt to a full day call.

In addition to this change, Iona will also be completing a sail by of the Geirangerfjord, allowing you to take in the breath-taking scenery the area is known for, including the “Seven Sisters” waterfall, where no less than seven waterfalls descend into the fjord.

Located at the western end of the Geirangerfjord, Hellesylt is ideally located for more adventurous experiences and we are pleased to confirm that we have been able to secure some additional shore experiences for our call.    

Pre booked experiences for Geiranger will automatically be cancelled and refunded to you.  A new shore experience programme for Hellesylt showcasing the natural beauty and stunning scenery including options to Mount Dalsnibba and Geiranger Fjord Centre to name but a few, will be available to pre purchase on My P&O or once on board Iona.

Kind regards,

P&O Cruise

Edited by Jonem2001

And the same for us on G223 , not good news but very disappointing that existing tours have been cancelled and an  updated shore excursion """experience """" will be available from Hellesylt will be available to get people to Geiranger, of course no mention of the fact that its at your expense , not sure that's going to sit well with our newbie cruisers who had booked mount delsnibba on our recomendation . Shambles is the word to sum it up😡

• Like 4

Looking into what options are for cancelling the trip as our newbies are wondering what their dealing with here, as first impressions of P and O it isn't very good, we've been to Norway before so quite happy to cancel and transfer to one of our other cruises if we can. still wondering how the researcher's who put these cruises together wait until people have paid until finding this out

14 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Can I ask did you have to pay for the ferry if you were on a ships excursion?

Yes, I think it was £56 or £59 pp for the ferry and ‘explore on your own’ excursion that we did. I looked up the cost of the ferry independently to compare and it was a similar price.

I’ve seen videos online of people who stayed in Hellesylt and had a lovely time walking around the area. My other family members couldn’t go far off the main roads but still enjoyed the day.

Having been in the same situation with Iona docking in Geiranger cancelled last month, for the 6 of us, it certainly wasn’t a reason to cancel. Hellesylt was in a beautiful location. The majority of the sail in is the same fjord and Iona sails through most of the Geiranger fjord at the end of the afternoon so you get to see that scenery too, you don’t get a glimpse of Geiranger though, Iona doesn’t go down quite that far.
Similar and some of the same excursions are still available but are slightly more expensive because of the added ferry trip & greater distance.

Would I have preferred to dock in Geiranger for free as originally planned? Yes.

Did I feel the day was worth the £56/£59 we ended up paying to get to Geiranger? Yes.

Would I sail the same itinerary knowing that Iona would stop at Hellesylt instead of Geiranger? Yes.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lockotron said:

Probably the intern put together the itineraries...

We'll make the best out of it - we now booked the ferry to Geiranger here: https://www.norwaysbest.com/things-to-do/fjords/fjord-cruise-geirangerfjord/

It's approximately £84 for a return trip with a family of 3 and will give us 3.5 hours in Geiranger. So overall not too bad.  

Well done, that’s cheaper than I could find

Just feel as its their issue they could make some allowance to passengers who have ships excursions booked in Geiranger, even if was to pay half towards the ferry. Glad you have sorted the ferry but this is not the first time P and O have done this to us and its starting to wear a little thin. Hellesylt was just a stopping off point , now its suddenly become this great place to spend a whole day