Iona no show for Geiranger

Hollers

I sincerely hope we do not get this issue in July  as with Gerainger been cancelled if we were to miss Stavanger as well, it would be a total waste of money, trying to be positive about it all but for once I'm sounding like a glass half empty person🤔.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

That would depend on whether the wind was hitting the aircraft from the side, because if it was, they definitely wouldn't land.  Over 35 knots in a crosswind is not done.

And if you ever watch BigJetTV, the number of 'go-arounds' at Heathrow is high on such gusty days.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

P&O ships very rarely seem to go at full speed these days. The priority seems to be saving money on fuel rather than maximising passengers time in port. 

Actually Iona's Norwegian voyages require fairly full speed running when in international waters to stay to time.

4 hours ago, cruise saint said:

Have often wondered why Iona docks the opposite way round from Britannia when at Ocean Terminal.  Any idea?

Really simple answer. The preferred embarkation doors for turnaround are on the Port side of Iona (2 air-bridges) which line up to bring you into the atrium on deck 6.

On Britannia, the preferred embarkation doors for turnaround are on the Starboard side, jut aft of the blue bar on deck 5.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, newbie cruissy said:

Comments from onboard in the last half hour, not calling at Stavanger. 

It wouldn't be worth it for such a short stop now, most of the excursions wouldn't operate anyway with the ship so late

Such a shame as the weather is going to be nice on Monday in Stavanger

P&O has now cancelled Hellesylt this Wednesday and replaced with Flåm.

Not a bad change in my opinion, but I do wonder what the reasons are. P&O says due to weather, but the forecast for Wednesday is calm. Obviously their itinerary chaos continues….

• Like 3

Near gale force winds and rain for the Hellesylt area, but better weather further south forecast for the Flåm area on Wed 22nd June

ms Rotterdam is due in Geiranger on 22 June, it will be interesting to see what happens to her

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lockotron said:

Not a bad change in my opinion, but I do wonder what the reasons are. P&O says due to weather, but the forecast for Wednesday is calm. Obviously their itinerary chaos continues….

Seems a fair decision to me based on the forecast winds at 0700 Weds. 

16557991051151117255746429184577.jpg

On 6/11/2022 at 1:17 PM, Trevor Fountain said:

My advice to anybody who wants desperately to see a particular place is go and book a land based holiday there.

It doesn't matter which shipping line  or ship you choose, there are many reasons why a port may be cancelled, or even inaccessable on the day of the planned visit.

It is, if I may say, a bit silly to base a cruise around a particular port. What you should look at really is the region you're cruising to, i.e. a Mediterranean Cruise, a Caribbean Cruise, a Scandinavian cruise and so on.

You pay a fare for say a 14 night cruise, and a 14 night cruise is what you get. Talk of compensation for a change of port is imvho nonsense.

Honestly I have had dozens of instances of missed ports for a multitude of reasons, but never have I had a really bad cruise.

Sorry if this upsets people, but just my view.

It is one thing to miss ports because of weather quite another to miss out for some unknown, probably financial, reason.

7 hours ago, Lockotron said:

Wish we had had Flam instead, nothing to do in Hellysylt!

On 6/19/2022 at 1:55 PM, terrierjohn said:

On Britannia at present and between La Coruna and Palma majorca we cruised at 20 kts, but the sea day between their and La Spezia we only only did 12-14 kts. So Moleys comments seem to be supported by our cruising speeds.

Having been to a couple of talks on Celebrity about ship operation and navigation the calculation for speeds isn't that complicated.

Enter the two ports, the leaving time and arrival times and the system then calculates the speeds required to achieve the route in time taking into account weather and other constraints.

We did a Faeroes to Norway on Eclipse with a day at sea and never did above 10 knots, because that was the speed required for the distance to be covered in the time available.

5 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Having been to a couple of talks on Celebrity about ship operation and navigation the calculation for speeds isn't that complicated.

Enter the two ports, the leaving time and arrival times and the system then calculates the speeds required to achieve the route in time taking into account weather and other constraints.

We did a Faeroes to Norway on Eclipse with a day at sea and never did above 10 knots, because that was the speed required for the distance to be covered in the time available.

Don't disagree. Normally calculates between two pilot stations as you arrival pilot station normally is a fixed agreed time.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, jon01 said:

Near gale force winds and rain for the Hellesylt area, but better weather further south forecast for the Flåm area on Wed 22nd June

ms Rotterdam is due in Geiranger on 22 June, it will be interesting to see what happens to her

Rotterdam in Geiranger today.

On 5/17/2022 at 5:38 PM, Hollers said:

I should add this is for the cruise departing Southampton 21 May.

So it now looks like no olden stop or hellesylt stop for my cruise on the 23 July looking at the ports schedule and also the 12 July cruise does anyone have any more info please? 

25 minutes ago, Just 47 said:

So it now looks like no olden stop or hellesylt stop for my cruise on the 23 July looking at the ports schedule and also the 12 July cruise does anyone have any more info please? 

Iona still due to call at Hellesylt on 27th July. See port site here https://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls/

Also still due at Olden on 26th July. See port site here.https://www.nordfjordhavn.no/en/cruise/cruise-list-2022/

Is this where you looked?

Edited by Spike11
Added Olden info

23 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Iona still due to call at Hellesylt on 27th July. See port site here https://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls/

Also still due at Olden on 26th July. See port site here.https://www.nordfjordhavn.no/en/cruise/cruise-list-2022/

Is this where you looked?

I looked at crew centre and cruise dig,hope it's wrong..

4 minutes ago, Just 47 said:

I looked at crew centre and cruise dig,hope it's wrong..

I can still see the calls on these sites. If it has N/A next to Iona, it actually means that the docking time is not available ( as P&O don’t publish docking times unlike just about all the other cruise lines!), not that Iona is not docking!