May 28th POA Reservation - CANCELED

1 hour ago, Cindy said:

I have read posts on another site of people whose reservations were cancelled. The number I saw was a total of 21 reservations. It's small number, except to those of you that were impacted any was too many!

Wow if it was only 21 reservations that were canceled then that makes me question things even more on why I was picked.. I booked well over three months ago. If they haven’t booked 21 other reservations since then NCL is in some serious trouble… 

Edited by CruiseDealSweeper

31 minutes ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

Wow if it was only 21 reservations that were canceled then that makes me question things even more on why I was picked.. I booked well over three months ago. If they haven’t booked 21 other reservations since then NCL is in some serious trouble… 

I think that's pretty recent as far as POA reservations go, especially right now. A lot of the current reservations were made 2+ years ago, or they're rescheduled sailings from Covid cancellations.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

You will never know the true count, many people that cruise especially newbies are not members here or on face book groups 

46 minutes ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

Yeah, that's not that long ago to be honest.  I booked June 2021 for our October 2022 cruise.  I originally booked an October 2020 cruise in August of 2019.

I'm not saying that is why your cruise was cancelled, but I think it's possible.  I would say the large majority of people are booking more than 3-4 months out, especially for this cruise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, da1425 said:

Yeah, that's not that long ago to be honest.  I booked June 2021 for our October 2022 cruise.  I originally booked an October 2020 cruise in August of 2019.

I'm not saying that is why your cruise was cancelled, but I think it's possible.  I would say the large majority of people are booking more than 3-4 months out, especially for this cruise.

That is fair. It was probably closer to 5-6 months ago to be honest but regardless I would think some percentage of the boat would be procrastinators. Haha

23 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That got me thinking about what is behind this.  Could it be that NCL simply couldn't make suitable air arrangements, so cancelled the OP?  I booked fall HI flights a month or two ago, and they are now approaching triple of what I paid.

That could be.  I traveled for 20 years full time in my job so am way too much of a control freak to let anyone book my flights.  It's too bad they don't give some type of OBC for people who don't use it. 

Edited by firstimer2009
  • Like 3

Don’t the cruise lines have reserved seats and fares? I seemed to Remember reading/hearing this, but don’t really know.   Even before All this mess, airfare almost always went up dramatically at less or about  45 days out.  Hard to believe cruise lines or other travel entires gamble on increasing fares.  

Never done  it as well as I don’t want anyone else in my reservations, or have to wait until shortly before travel when tickets are issued.   Also travel a great deal work and  pleasure,.  

10 minutes ago, milolii said:

Don’t the cruise lines have reserved seats and fares? I seemed to Remember reading/hearing this, but don’t really know.   Even before All this mess, airfare almost always went up dramatically at less or about  45 days out.  Hard to believe cruise lines or other travel entires gamble on increasing fares.

I believe that they do.  That said, I believe that the airline business is in a bit of a state of chaos right now with staffing issues.  As with the OP's cruise, flights can get cancelled at any time.

Dear Fellow POA Cruisers:

I do not agree with the comments regarding reasoning on the 21 reservations that were cancelled. A company that is operating at reduced capacity (POA at 50%) with a limited shelf life while bleeding cash would not prioritize cash paying customers over FCC customers with a definite expiration date.  This would make no reasonable economic sense!

Joel Barry

• Like 1

You need to find the 20 other people and figure out what you had in common.  This is a mystery that has to be solved!  I am saying that facetiously.  Certain you don't have the time dealing with that since you will be dealing with trying to get refunds.  

Too bad they didn't ask for volunteers like the airlines.  While a Hawaii cruise might not have as many people who can change their minds, I'm sure there are some who would be willing to cancel this trip for various reasons.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Too bad they didn't ask for volunteers like the airlines.  While a Hawaii cruise might not have as many people who can change their minds, I'm sure there are some who would be willing to cancel this trip for various reasons.

And the additional 100% FCC.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

That's what my wife and I were thinking. I bet they could have gotten the 21 reservations pushed with the 100% FCC offer. Unfortunately for us that does buy us much of anything with small kids at home and it being almost impossible to plan these big vacations around our growing family. 

Edited by CruiseDealSweeper

5 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

That could be.  I traveled for 20 years full time in my job so am way too much of a control freak to let anyone book my flights.  It's too bad they don't give some type of OBC for people who don't use it. 

I agree. There’s exactly one non-stop flight per day from Houston to Honolulu and back, and that’s the flight I wanted. I was definitely not interested in multiple stops and long layovers. Besides, we’re going 4 days early which takes cruise air out of the picture.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

Same here!  Long time road warrior for work and I don't let anyone book my travel plans.  That's a great idea about OBC.  We have a cruised booked on POA in January and already have our own independently booked airfare.  I also have backup hotels booked in Hawaii just in case our cruise doesn't happen for whatever reason.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why do some of you think that there were only 21 cancellations on the entire ship?  The post that introduced that number referred to the total number of reports on a single internet site.

My thoughts as well not every cruiser is a member here nor does every cruiser join other forums. Only NcL can give the tally and that’s not happening

24 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why do some of you think that there were only 21 cancellations on the entire ship?  The post that introduced that number referred to the total number of reports on a single internet site.

21 minutes ago, njkate said:

My thoughts as well not every cruiser is a member here nor does every cruiser join other forums. Only NcL can give the tally and that’s not happening

I totally agree.  No way to know how many bookings NCL cancelled. 

Update: it’s the 20th and ZERO FCC has hit our account as promised. We were going to book a separate NCL cruise today with that FCC they promised and book the excursions/ plan the trip this weekend. Now what, wait until Monday and have 2-3 days to plan an entire vacation? This is the worst costumer service I have ever seen from a company. 

21 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I totally agree.  No way to know how many bookings NCL cancelled. 

NCL actually did tell me 21 bookings were cancelled on the previous cruiser's cruise!  We called after receiving a confirmation that OUR cruise had been cancelled!!!  It happens that they just then had sent a cancellation regarding our Covid cancellation on April 23rd!  We almost had heart attacks!  We thought it was our re-booked cruise on July 30th!  

All is well so far, for us.  I feel really badly for the cruiser who was cancelled and the lack of help they are receiving from NCL.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CruiseDealSweeper said:

Update: it’s the 20th and ZERO FCC has hit our account as promised. We were going to book a separate NCL cruise today with that FCC they promised and book the excursions/ plan the trip this weekend. Now what, wait until Monday and have 2-3 days to plan an entire vacation? This is the worst costumer service I have ever seen from a company. 

If you have a PCC or a special number, you might try to call. Through all our Covid cancellations, I sometimes found they could see the FCC before I could.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cindy said:

If you have a PCC or a special number, you might try to call. Through all our Covid cancellations, I sometimes found they could see the FCC before I could.

Good advice as I could not see mine, but it was there when I called. 

I hope the remaining passengers' experiences are greatly improved by having let's say 50-100 less passengers onboard (assuming higher than double occupancy) if it really was 21 reservations.  It's ridiculous someone at NCL didn't call the impacted passengers instead of cancelling by email.   👎 NCL.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Good advice as I could not see mine, but it was there when I called. 

Thanks you both for background. And yes we called multiple times and it isn’t there. Said they can’t release FCC over the weekend either. Hence I have to wait at least until Monday and just hope they figure it out in time. 

• Like 1