Booster now required on Pride sailings

Eli_6

2 hours ago, M&A said:

I don't think Carnival thought this through.  Doesn't seem right that you were allowed to book,  but now they require everyone over 12to be boosted,  yet boosters are not available for 12 to 18 in the UK!!

Let's hope that Carnival scraps the covid testing and the requirement for 12 to 18 to have a booster. 

Quite a stretch to try to scrap testing. You can forget that.

The covid protocols have been subject to change (and have changed) over time and this has been in place for some time. Anyone who books a cruise should expect changes before the sail date.

• Like 1

Yes- the language that requires a booster within six months of the end of your main series is problematic.  Some of those of us that received our first two vaccines early in 2021 were then not able to get boosters until November in some cases.  Far more than 6 months between vaccines and booster.  And then if you got a breakthrough vaccine after your booster- doctors are advising to wait 4 ish months (at least) after covid recovery to have the 2nd booster (if people are even eligible).    Clarifiction will eventually arrive.  And for those of us on fall European cruises, there may well be whole new protocols in place by then.  Try not to panic too much ahead of time because it is unnecessary.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Quite a stretch to try to scrap testing. You can forget that.

The covid protocols have been subject to change (and have changed) over time and this has been in place for some time. Anyone who books a cruise should expect changes before the sail date.

Two points being made here: Carnival’s wording wouldn’t pass third grade English. 

If they change the requirements, they need to refund 100% and offer inconvenience compensation. They also know they may change the rules.

The sooner vaccine and testing mandates disappear, the better

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pinkpurple said:

Yes all summer sailings in Europe on Carnival Pride now suddenly state over 12yrs need a booster if more than 6 months since second vaccine. The massive issue here is that the UK and most European countries do NOT allow 12-15 year olds to have a booster vaccine so we have absolutely no way of getting a booster for our teen who will be 6.5 months after her second vaccine. How can it be right that when we booked it we met the criteria but now don't and will lose the money? Presumably many people on these European cruises are from that area and in the same position. The cruise line looks to make a lot of money if they don't refund fully including deposits by simply reselling these cruises. Other cruises either don't require boosters or allow 270 days from the second. 

I would definitely apply for an exemption or bring it up to John Heald. I am sure they would you to cruise considering your child isn't even eligible for the vaccine in YOUR country!  My bet is that they were just considering US regulations.

This IS a brand new requirement. It was NOT on the website for ANY sailings other than those departing from Barcelona.  We did not have notice of this.  How do I know? Because I researched it.  I looked on the website. I even asked John Heald.  I was told that boosters was not required.  I wanted to know because I had a very bad reaction to the vaccine and really didn't want to get a booster. When they required the booster for Barcelona (only), I bit the bullet and got the booster because I strongly suspected the rest of the Europe sailings would be following...and I have literally had 5 Europe cruises rescheduled. Sure enough, another bad reaction.  I agree that it is really sucky for them to pull this "booster" requirement at the last minute when all along they have been representing a booster would not be required.      

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Does the message go on to say anything about J&J booster?  I haven't kept up on vaccination stuff since I got vaccinated with one J&J jab over a year ago.

Yes.  If you got the J&J, you will either need to get a J&J booster or an mRNA booster if you are more than 6 months out from your first/only J&J shot.

"A booster dose is considered:

• a third mRNA dose in an mRNA series or a mixed vaccine series or;
  • a J&J booster, or an mRNA booster dose if your primary series was a J&J vaccine."
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pinkpurple said:

Yes all summer sailings in Europe on Carnival Pride now suddenly state over 12yrs need a booster if more than 6 months since second vaccine. The massive issue here is that the UK and most European countries do NOT allow 12-15 year olds to have a booster vaccine so we have absolutely no way of getting a booster for our teen who will be 6.5 months after her second vaccine. How can it be right that when we booked it we met the criteria but now don't and will lose the money? Presumably many people on these European cruises are from that area and in the same position. The cruise line looks to make a lot of money if they don't refund fully including deposits by simply reselling these cruises. Other cruises either don't require boosters or allow 270 days from the second. 

You are indeed correct.

Im a similar situation, when I sailed on the Norwegian Getaway  in September no kids were able to travel at all due to the requirements so lots had to cancel.

sadly, protocols change and as people have said, booking a cruise during s pandemic, comes with risks and challenges and you do so in the knowledge that these things can happen. 

usually in situations like this Carnival will offer a Future Cruise Credit but sometimes you can get a refund. 

Im sorry that your kids won’t be able to sail this cruise, perhaps rebook for 2023 with your cruise credit?

• Like 1

Agree - the contradictory language in the last sentence of the identified paragraph must be clarified - the boost cannot be both "more than 6 months" after last regular vaccination dose and "no later than 6 months" from last vaccination dose.

If Carnival would just retract that last sentence, all is clear - we need boosters, and boosters follow 6 months from last vaccination - done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mah/pah said:

Agree - the contradictory language in the last sentence of the identified paragraph must be clarified - the boost cannot be both "more than 6 months" after last regular vaccination dose and "no later than 6 months" from last vaccination dose.

If Carnival would just retract that last sentence, all is clear - we need boosters, and boosters follow 6 months from last vaccination - done.

THANK YOU. Somebody finally got it! From my explaination on page 1 that many people just couldn't comprehend.

Bummer, my travel partner had a heart attack after 2 vax, (she has a loop recorder, so it is confirmed) so no way is she getting a booster! She called Carnival and they told her "no exceptions"

The cruise is 6 months away so maybe things will change. Going to wait until August before she cancels. 

John Heald clarified the confusing letter statement saying that as long as you have your first series dose(s) plus the booster you are good to go with Carnival.

3 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

John Heald clarified the confusing letter statement saying that as long as you have your first series dose(s) plus the booster you are good to go with Carnival.

Yep.  That original statement was terrible.  Their communication folks brought this on themselves.  Feel bad for my PVP who fielded multiple clarification calls, including me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

Yep.  That original statement was terrible.

And yet to some it sounded fine lol when i brought up the wording they said nothing wrong with how its written.  😳 

8 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

And yet to some it sounded fine lol when i brought up the wording they said nothing wrong with how its written.  😳 

You were very astute to notice the conflict. 

Richard

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:26 AM, Pinkpurple said:

I  concerned that refund won’t be made, has anyone managed to get a response yet?

I called about a refund and was told I'd get everything except for $198 pp back or the full amount credited to a future cruise.  I decided to get the booster and spent 2 days in bed, sick as a dog.  I'll never do that again.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:05 PM, Prometheus1 said:

Bummer, my travel partner had a heart attack after 2 vax, (she has a loop recorder, so it is confirmed) so no way is she getting a booster! She called Carnival and they told her "no exceptions"

The cruise is 6 months away so maybe things will change. Going to wait until August before she cancels. 

I received the same information.

22 minutes ago, MsCruzNow said:

I called about a refund and was told I'd get everything except for $198 pp back or the full amount credited to a future cruise.  I decided to get the booster and spent 2 days in bed, sick as a dog.  I'll never do that again.

Me, too!  First dose, I was fine. Only side effect was a sore arm.  Second dose, I got really sick. Fever, couldn't breathe, chest tight, body aches, etc. So sick, in fact, I didn't even have a period for 99 days.  I went to a reproductive endocrinologist who put me on some meds to restart my period and, after that, it was normal and regular again.  Against my better judgment, I broke down and got the booster despite my former bad reaction after CCL started requiring for cruises out of Barcelona because I suspected they would do the same for Dover departs.  Once again, I got sick and felt awful for several days. Once again, I have not had a period since before the vaccine. I really hope they don't next year require a second booster because clearly it has been well-established this vaccine doesn't work well with my system.  My husband and children have had no problems.  

3 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Me, too!  First dose, I was fine. Only side effect was a sore arm.  Second dose, I got really sick. Fever, couldn't breathe, chest tight, body aches, etc. So sick, in fact, I didn't even have a period for 99 days.  I went to a reproductive endocrinologist who put me on some meds to restart my period and, after that, it was normal and regular again.  Against my better judgment, I broke down and got the booster despite my former bad reaction after CCL started requiring for cruises out of Barcelona because I suspected they would do the same for Dover departs.  Once again, I got sick and felt awful for several days. Once again, I have not had a period since before the vaccine. I really hope they don't next year require a second booster because clearly it has been well-established this vaccine doesn't work well with my system.  My husband and children have had no problems.  

Well I called Carnival and asked to speak with someone in their medical department who was making these decisions.   That does not exist.  I was passed to the resolutions department and she was very sympathetic to my situation, but it is what it is, out of our power.  I sure hope you get better soon.  Soup and crackers for me today.

49 minutes ago, MsCruzNow said:

Well I called Carnival and asked to speak with someone in their medical department who was making these decisions.   That does not exist.  I was passed to the resolutions department and she was very sympathetic to my situation, but it is what it is, out of our power.  I sure hope you get better soon.  Soup and crackers for me today.

Oh, I got my booster back in early April so (thankfully) not still feeling sick. 

• Like 1