Experience with COVID onboard

guerchino

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended getting covid during the Spain Intensive Cruise, ended in Lisbon on May 19th.

Had mild cold symptoms about 3 days after embarkation, of course had a neg test in Rome the day before getting on. Tested myself in cabin about day 5, negative. Started feeling better, so thought it was just a cold. I did wear a mask throughout the ship and on excursions, and spent two nights in cabin with room service for food.  I have not had covid previously, had 2nd booster a month before the cruise. 

About 3 days before the end of the cruise (11 night cruise), I started getting congestion again and feeling tired, but no fever, body aches, etc. The next day I did a test in the cabin, positive. Wrestled with what to do at this point, as we had to be off the ship the next morning at 9am. Finally decided early the next morning to call guest services. They sent someone up around 7am from medical to test my husband and myself. He was negative, I was positive, with pcr tests. They asked me if I wanted to notify the Portuguese officials, I said not. We did buy the vacation protection plan through Azamara. The medical team gave me an official positive result paper. Guest relations said flight changes and extra nights, etc would be reimbursed. We ended up spending an extra 11 days in Portugal, which really messed up my husband's work schedule. I tried emailing Azamara during this period for guidance on cost limitations, procedures, etc, but never received an answer. I finally tested positive on day 11, flew home the next day, finally! My husband never did get sick or test positive, and has not had covid previously as far as we know.

So now have been trying to contact Azamara, no luck so far. 

In retrospect, despite having a great time on our trip (first vacation since pandemic started), I would never again travel outside the USA as long as the 1 day negative test regulation is still in affect.

Btw, the crew was great about always wearing their masks, but most passengers did not wear masks, even on the excursion buses. Many, many had horrible coughs and sneezing, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one to get sick, but we will never know I guess!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OregonGal56 said:

So I ended getting covid during the Spain Intensive Cruise, ended in Lisbon on May 19th.

Had mild cold symptoms about 3 days after embarkation, of course had a neg test in Rome the day before getting on. Tested myself in cabin about day 5, negative. Started feeling better, so thought it was just a cold. I did wear a mask throughout the ship and on excursions, and spent two nights in cabin with room service for food.  I have not had covid previously, had 2nd booster a month before the cruise. 

About 3 days before the end of the cruise (11 night cruise), I started getting congestion again and feeling tired, but no fever, body aches, etc. The next day I did a test in the cabin, positive. Wrestled with what to do at this point, as we had to be off the ship the next morning at 9am. Finally decided early the next morning to call guest services. They sent someone up around 7am from medical to test my husband and myself. He was negative, I was positive, with pcr tests. They asked me if I wanted to notify the Portuguese officials, I said not. We did buy the vacation protection plan through Azamara. The medical team gave me an official positive result paper. Guest relations said flight changes and extra nights, etc would be reimbursed. We ended up spending an extra 11 days in Portugal, which really messed up my husband's work schedule. I tried emailing Azamara during this period for guidance on cost limitations, procedures, etc, but never received an answer. I finally tested positive on day 11, flew home the next day, finally! My husband never did get sick or test positive, and has not had covid previously as far as we know.

In retrospect, despite having a great time on our trip (first vacation since pandemic started), I would never again travel outside the USA as long as the 1 day negative test regulation is still in affect.

Btw, the crew was great about always wearing their masks, but most passengers did not wear masks, even on the excursion buses. Many, many had horrible coughs and sneezing, so I'm sure I wasn't the only one to get sick, but we will never know I guess!

Thank you for your detailed account how it feels to have Covid on Azamara and I hope that you have fully recovered by now. I feel sorry that you had to spend an extra 11 days in Lisbon and that Azamara is not reacting to your insurance queries. It was a most enjoyable cruise but I also noticed that very few passengers wore masks or kept a distance. We tend to forget that Covid is not over yet. 

• Like 2

Obviously returning to the US, you'd need a negative antigen so your hands were tied. But given to everywhere in Europe no test is needed and with little or no symptoms, I can understand why someone would jump on their flight and return home.

I expect it cost you a fortune for your prison stay and rearranged flights. Not just 11 days lost, but I guess a fair chunk of cash.

Different cruise lines deal in different ways. Most it seems are kicked off the ship, some allow you to stay and quarantine onboard. Silversea definitely do (personal experience) and I'm sure Viking give the option also. 

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks.  But I believe the US does for re-entry, and our next cruise isn't on Azamara.

Our backup plan to fly back to the US was to get a certificate of recovery, glad I finally tested neg!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, les37b said:

Obviously returning to the US, you'd need a negative antigen so your hands were tied. But given to everywhere in Europe no test is needed and with little or no symptoms, I can understand why someone would jump on their flight and return home.

I expect it cost you a fortune for your prison stay and rearranged flights. Not just 11 days lost, but I guess a fair chunk of cash.

Different cruise lines deal in different ways. Most it seems are kicked off the ship, some allow you to stay and quarantine onboard. Silversea definitely do (personal experience) and I'm sure Viking give the option also. 

Dealing with RC now, sounds like we will be reimbursed for our additional expenses, but were given no guidelines on how much we could spend, what to do, etc. 

If this does happen to anyone on a cruise, make sure you keep all receipts for food, transportation, etc!

On 6/3/2022 at 11:00 AM, OregonGal56 said:

Where did you stay after the cruise?  I was on the same cruise.  We did wear our masks on the buses, cabs, vans that we had on the trip.  I also wore my mask at the gym when it was busy and someone was next to my on the elliptical etc.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 9:37 AM, mp8shnt said:

Where did you stay after the cruise?  I was on the same cruise.  We did wear our masks on the buses, cabs, vans that we had on the trip.  I also wore my mask at the gym when it was busy and someone was next to my on the elliptical etc.  

We stayed in a hotel in Lisbon for 4 days, then got an airbnb in Sintra for another 4 nights, then back to Lisbon at a hotel near the airport while we tested and waited, tested and waited.

My husband had Covid during the June 7th Lisbon to Stockholm cruise.  He thought he was getting a sinus infection and took a test that we brought with us.  The home test was negative.  When he went to medical, he tested positive.  Ugh!  I tested negative, probably because I had Covid about a month prior.  We were quarantined to our room for days 5-10.  We were both retested the last day of the cruise and were both negative.

We had an accessible club continent cabin.  (It was assigned to us as a guarantee.)  We definitely appreciated the extra space, especially because my husband felt like he had a bad cold for most of the quarantine.  No one was allowed in our cabin the entire time. 

I have to stay that Azamara took good care of us.  We had room service brought 3 times a day.   Unlike some cruise lines, we had proper dishes and silverware.  They even gave us a tablecloth for dinner.  Medical came twice a day to check both of our vitals-- temp, pulse, and oxygen level.  Our cabin steward regularly brought new towels.  Guest relations called daily and had mochaccinos sent to me.  We were also given free internet.

There's no getting around it, the experience was not fun!  We missed some great ports, white night, the captain's table dinner, etc.  My husband is feeling much better, so it could have been much worse.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 6/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, Lady President said:

My husband had Covid during the June 7th Lisbon to Stockholm cruise.  He thought he was getting a sinus infection and took a test that we brought with us.  The home test was negative.  When he went to medical, he tested positive.  Ugh!  I tested negative, probably because I had Covid about a month prior.  We were quarantined to our room for days 5-10.  We were both retested the last day of the cruise and were both negative.

We had an accessible club continent cabin.  (It was assigned to us as a guarantee.)  We definitely appreciated the extra space, especially because my husband felt like he had a bad cold for most of the quarantine.  No one was allowed in our cabin the entire time. 

I have to stay that Azamara took good care of us.  We had room service brought 3 times a day.   Unlike some cruise lines, we had proper dishes and silverware.  They even gave us a tablecloth for dinner.  Medical came twice a day to check both of our vitals-- temp, pulse, and oxygen level.  Our cabin steward regularly brought new towels.  Guest relations called daily and had mochaccinos sent to me.  We were also given free internet.

There's no getting around it, the experience was not fun!  We missed some great ports, white night, the captain's table dinner, etc.  My husband is feeling much better, so it could have been much worse.   

Glad you were able to stay onboard. Some CL are only too happy to get you off the ship ASAP. As you know, there were a fair few cases on this voyage and many positives upon return. There is certainly a lesson here given all the coughing and spluttering on board and lack of mask wearing, particularly near food and in the elevators. Fortunately you both tested negative in Stockholm, or things with have got worse with an enforced hotel quarantine and rebooking of all your flights. People forget these incidentals and risks and it really needs to be reminded until quarantine rules disappear.

The negative for Azamara on this was that negative guests were mixed with positive guests which was effectively a covid incubator. There were spare rooms, so it could have been done. Can you imagine how you would have felt if you tested positive in Visby and husband finally tested negative. Not a nice prospect and probably avoidable. Luckily you were fine though.

I saw one of the medical team attending the balcony room next to ours and did see a long lost of room numbers (which I assumed contained positive cases). He refused to say if it was a covid visit or how many cases onboard - though the trays left out in the corridor was a bit of a giveaway!

Edited by les37b

We were on the Spain Intensive 5/31 ending in Lisbon on 6/7. We tested negative prior to flying home from Lisbon. Two days after arriving home, I was positive and then my husband was positive 2 days later. Reading these stories of being positive on board, or having to isolate in a foreign country, I feel we were so fortunate that we didn't get it until at home! It seems to me that lifting the mask requirements has maybe been a bit premature...We are both double vaccinated and double boosted. We didn't wear our masks on board, in hindsight, I wish we had.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2022 at 8:17 PM, les37b said:

Glad you were able to stay onboard. Some CL are only too happy to get you off the ship ASAP. As you know, there were a fair few cases on this voyage and many positives upon return. There is certainly a lesson here given all the coughing and spluttering on board and lack of mask wearing, particularly near food and in the elevators. Fortunately you both tested negative in Stockholm, or things with have got worse with an enforced hotel quarantine and rebooking of all your flights. People forget these incidentals and risks and it really needs to be reminded until quarantine rules disappear.

The negative for Azamara on this was that negative guests were mixed with positive guests which was effectively a covid incubator. There were spare rooms, so it could have been done. Can you imagine how you would have felt if you tested positive in Visby and husband finally tested negative. Not a nice prospect and probably avoidable. Luckily you were fine though.

I saw one of the medical team attending the balcony room next to ours and did see a long lost of room numbers (which I assumed contained positive cases). He refused to say if it was a covid visit or how many cases onboard - though the trays left out in the corridor was a bit of a giveaway!

I can definitely imagine how I would have felt if I had tested positive at the end of the cruise!  I was a nervous wreck that would happen.  I'm sure that the only reason that it didn't happen was my recent infection.  I'm still working, so taking an extra week of vacation would not have been good.  Luckily, my job wouldn't have been in jeopardy, but my team wouldn't have been thrilled.

Based on the trays in the corridors and the luggage wrapped in plastic at the dock when we left the ship, I suspect that the handful of medical cabins were already full.  I completely agree that separating us would have been the safest choice. 

Silver lining-- Azamara is giving us FCC for the days we quarantined.  

We have returned from a cruise to Norway with MSC. One day after the cruise my husband tested positive at home with a home test. It was confirmed next day with a PCR from labor. I have tested positive 2 days later. We are both in quarantine right now and on our way to recovery. But the experience with COVID is not a nice one. My husband had milder symptoms than me. 
I can not stress enough that it is just too early to drop safety measures like mask wearing in interior  spaces onboard. More and more people are coming back infected from their vacations.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lady President said:

I can definitely imagine how I would have felt if I had tested positive at the end of the cruise!  I was a nervous wreck that would happen.  I'm sure that the only reason that it didn't happen was my recent infection.  I'm still working, so taking an extra week of vacation would not have been good.  Luckily, my job wouldn't have been in jeopardy, but my team wouldn't have been thrilled.

Based on the trays in the corridors and the luggage wrapped in plastic at the dock when we left the ship, I suspect that the handful of medical cabins were already full.  I completely agree that separating us would have been the safest choice. 

Silver lining-- Azamara is giving us FCC for the days we quarantined.  

Then they should sail with fewer guests (IMHO).

On your last comment, it was something I wanted to ask, so I'm pleased they sorted something.

When we got caught out in Jan on Silversea, my wife was stuck in the hazmat zone for 10 days which extended into the next cruise. I was isolating on my own for 2 days (should have been 1). Our 16 night Panama cruise was expanded to a 25 night cruise at no extra cost and they took care of our amended flights. When we left the ship, we were given a letter telling us we have 10 days pro rata refund for both of us, which could be taken as cash or at 110% as a FCC.

My next booking planned was Japan (unfortunately cancelled)...... And I had already volunteered to be the one to catch COVID for our next refund! If you are going to be holed up for 10 days and get a longer vacation, I can't think of a better place for it to happen 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, travelberlin said:

We have returned from a cruise to Norway with MSC. One day after the cruise my husband tested positive at home with a home test. It was confirmed next day with a PCR from labor. I have tested positive 2 days later. We are both in quarantine right now and on our way to recovery. But the experience with COVID is not a nice one. My husband had milder symptoms than me. 
I can not stress enough that it is just too early to drop safety measures like mask wearing in interior  spaces onboard. More and more people are coming back infected from their vacations.

Ivi

Couldn't agree more Ivi and have been shouting loudly about the potential consequences of being quarantined overseas as you e probably seen.

On the case mentioned above, if Silversea had kicked us off at our disembarkation point of Guayaquil Ecuador, she would have been stuck in quarantine there for 14 days (yes 14 days!) And that was on top of the 6 days she had already served... They counted for nothing  can you imagine being locked up for 20 days for an infection you have absolutely 100% no symptoms whatsoever. 

Glad you got home safely and recovered / recovering.

• Thanks 1

Just got off Quest 28th June. Booked Barcelona to Lisbon then stayed to Copenhagen.  Both of us 4 vaccinated took 3 test prior leaving home and at port.  Day day 5 of cruise Husband positive I was negative. We were separated - next day I was positive.  Locked up for 6 days.  Never saw Doctor. Had to clean cabin ourselves - change bedding and clean toilet.  Was appalling.  I could go on.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vivasea said:

Just got off Quest 28th June. Booked Barcelona to Lisbon then stayed to Copenhagen.  Both of us 4 vaccinated took 3 test prior leaving home and at port.  Day day 5 of cruise Husband positive I was negative. We were separated - next day I was positive.  Locked up for 6 days.  Never saw Doctor. Had to clean cabin ourselves - change bedding and clean toilet.  Was appalling.  I could go on.....

If you don't mind me asking, how did you learn your DH was positive? I know when it happened with us in January, it was because we were testing ourselves every other day and handed ourselves in. But my experience on Pursuit there were no temperature checks and with people coughing away, just curious if it was random tests they were doing.

Whilst positive, you wouldn't get someone inside your room, so your experience there on all lines is normal. Only visit would be in a hazmat. I expect food was delivered at your door with a knock and tray left? Hopefully all what you'd ordered and hot?

On Silver Moon, they had about 30 quarantine cabins which was shut off and they took the risk of infection very seriously. (Maybe even OTT.) I didn't see that level on Pursuit. Knowing the guests in the next room to ours, leaving their finished trays in the corridor where everyone walked past, wasn't good IMHO. And whilst the argument can be small ship and not enough spare cabins might have some Merritt (silver moon capacity is under 600), it can be done with some thought and effort.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vivasea said:

With all due respect, don’t you clean your own toilet at home? And change your own sheets? Of course the cabins stewards cannot come into a positive cabin.

However, not having at least one wellness check from nurse or doctor is poor.  The earlier post where they received calls from guest relations every day as well as medical visits was in stark contrast. 

32 minutes ago, Port Power said:

With all due respect, don’t you clean your own toilet at home? And change your own sheets? Of course the cabins stewards cannot come into a positive cabin.

However, not having at least one wellness check from nurse or doctor is poor.  The earlier post where they received calls from guest relations every day as well as medical visits was in stark contrast. 

I didnt expect to do this after paying over £10000 to say least I am disappointed this was my 11th cruise with Azamara.  Have always been loyal but have seen big change on these last two cruises.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you learn your DH was positive? I know when it happened with us in January, it was because we were testing ourselves every other day and handed ourselves in. But my experience on Pursuit there were no temperature checks and with people coughing away, just curious if it was random tests they were doing.

Whilst positive, you wouldn't get someone inside your room, so your experience there on all lines is normal. Only visit would be in a hazmat. I expect food was delivered at your door with a knock and tray left? Hopefully all what you'd ordered and hot?

On Silver Moon, they had about 30 quarantine cabins which was shut off and they took the risk of infection very seriously. (Maybe even OTT.) I didn't see that level on Pursuit. Knowing the guests in the next room to ours, leaving their finished trays in the corridor where everyone walked past, wasn't good IMHO. And whilst the argument can be small ship and not enough spare cabins might have some Merritt (silver moon capacity is under 600), it can be done with some thought and effort.

My husband on day 5 had head cold.  we both tested ourselves and reported to medical centre. I did not want crew or passengers to get ill from us. Food was always cold or tepid and every meal was missing something. Only 375 passengers on first cruise and 307 on second.  We never saw Doctor only had phone call on day 3 after complaining.

1 hour ago, Vivasea said:

My husband on day 5 had head cold.  we both tested ourselves and reported to medical centre. I did not want crew or passengers to get ill from us. Food was always cold or tepid and every meal was missing something. Only 375 passengers on first cruise and 307 on second.  We never saw Doctor only had phone call on day 3 after complaining.

Ok thanks for clarifying. It would seem the majority of positive cases are people self testing and being honest and ensuring they are not responsible of spreading the virus by reporting themselves.

So did the medical staff not do their own test or just rely on yours? During my ordeal, I think I did 4 personal antigen and 2 ship antigen and 3 ship PCR and 3 port immigration PCR. That's a lot of tests for someone who remained negative. I think my wife had that and a few more and did see the medical staff daily in their hazmat gear over her 10 days in captivity. (She even had to leave the room wearing one too when re-released to the wild!)

I truly wonder how many know that have got it or possibly have but shy away so they don't wreck the holiday they've paid for. Well done for being honest, even if it doesn't feel Azamara appreciated it or took care of you 

Sorry to hear the food situation, which again is not really excusable. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vivasea said:

The Dr. is isolated to prevent them from contracting Covid and passing it on, or getting sick themselves.  That would be a large problem for the entire ship if Dr is out of comission.

My experience on Pursuit was that the nurse came by every day.  Was this not the case on the Quest?

Also I clean my toilets and change my sheets at home for free.  At least you will get some FCC from Azamara for your experience.  

I am glad you self reported even if you were unhappy about the results. It is the right thing to do.  Thank you.

• Like 1