So many questions!

2 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

IMO  ... April

Paul Gauguin or Windstar?  Both are good choices  .... but 2024 brings in an interesting situation. Windstar plans to leave the Sea Breeze full time in FP. PG and SB are similar in their capacity count. Both have their strong points  ... big question ... will Windstar hire some local Polynesians to be on-board full time to give some cultural feel/experiences to the ship, something PG has done very well with over the years. Both have good food, both have specialty islands of their own and both have marinas. 

PG is all -inclusive  ... Windstar has an optional all inclusive plan for a large fee. 

There are no bad choices for you  ....

Thank you for the quick response. What about best time to go?

27 minutes ago, Buffyr said:

I think I stated  .... "IMO  ... April"

But frankly anytime is a good time  .... I've been almost in every month and had a wonderful time ...

Prices are usually better in January - March

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I think I stated  .... "IMO  ... April"

But frankly anytime is a good time  .... I've been almost in every month and had a wonderful time ...

Prices are usually better in January - March

I’m sorry I missed it!  Thank you!!!

Yes there is a bit mor humidity in April compared to months of June - August. But notice the average monthly rainfall in April, not all that bad ... and notice the water temperature in April ... the warmest which is a biggie for most as you are in the water much of the time.

Coolest month is August but the trade off is the water temperature is the coolest as well  ...

average-rainfall-french-polynesia-faaa-tahiti-pf-inches.webp

average-water-temperature-french-polynesia-pirae-tahiti-pf.webp

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

On 3/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, Buffyr said:

Is it ever not oppressively hot and humid?

Most of the time onboard ship and on the coast, it's lovely.  So no, not oppressive--the tradewinds take care of that.  I found it to be very humid in the Societies in December (but not the Marquesas) and in mid-April.

But then coming from Arizona, you might find it so!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Interestingly the Marquesas are closer to the equator which theoretically should be warmer and more humid than the Society Islands. The Cook's are further south that the Society Islands thus not as hot or humid. I've been to the Cooks 7 times and they are lovely in April  ... June - September they can be a bit nippy thus it's a good idea to lrind a light jacket.

On 3/26/2023 at 5:17 PM, Buffyr said:

Anytime is good, but whale season is spectacular if you like snorkeling.

Edited by EPTCB

22 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Interestingly the Marquesas are closer to the equator which theoretically should be warmer and more humid than the Society Islands. The Cook's are further south that the Society Islands thus not as hot or humid. I've been to the Cooks 7 times and they are lovely in April  ... June - September they can be a bit nippy thus it's a good idea to lrind a light jacket.

The Marquesas have a dry season and a wet season. December I believe is supposed to be one of the drier months. It was for us, and quite pleasant.  The Societies were not, although we still had a great time as usual.

22 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

The Marquesas have a dry season and a wet season. December I believe is supposed to be one of the drier months. It was for us, and quite pleasant.  The Societies were not, although we still had a great time as usual.

Windy  ... thank you for the input regarding the weather for the Marquesas. I learned something 🙂

You are correct ... Marquesas is different than other islands close to the equator. 

Marquesas.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:19 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

thank you for the input regarding the weather for the Marquesas. I learned something 🙂

You're welcome, always happy to contribute.  I looked at this pretty carefully before we booked our Marquesas trip in 2008, since I had had a bad experience during a previous April trip to the Societies, during which I found the humidity very oppressive.  I knew it would be similar in December but the bulk of the 2008 trip was in the Marquesas.  It also didn't seem as bad as April had, but that perhaps was just luck.

• Like 1