So many questions!

I hope it’s okay to ask this question here. Have any of you compared the PG to a Regent Ship? We are trying to book something as soon as  we can but I’m torn between these 2.  We can afford either but I’m leaning hard to PG because we are down to earth casual folks who recently lost their only child. We like things nice but not stuffy. I feel like PG might suit us better because I get a warmer vibe. 

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss,  And a trip will be good for the soul….you are right about the PG….very relaxed, small ship, casual attire and casual attitude for almost all the guests…an attentive and very friendly crew…..I’m so glad we chose the PG, it was almost perfect….

• Like 2

FYI  ... the PG was a Regent ship when she came to FP 😉

You can't go wrong with either ... however, the PG is home based in FP so there is likely more cultural emersion on the PG. I've been told good things about the Regent crew and they are very good. I'm taking a group a Regent ship in FP in January 2024  ... this will give me first hand knowledge. Remember the destination is a key reason to go to FP.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, JulieD said:

I hope it’s okay to ask this question here. Have any of you compared the PG to a Regent Ship? We are trying to book something as soon as  we can but I’m torn between these 2.  We can afford either but I’m leaning hard to PG because we are down to earth casual folks who recently lost their only child. We like things nice but not stuffy. I feel like PG might suit us better because I get a warmer vibe. 

I'm so sorry.  Having just been on a Regent cruise, on Splendor, I would say either would be great, but the vibe on the PG is definitely warm and casual. That being said, Azamara is also quite friendly and relaxed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for your loss you need time with less stress.We found when Regent owned the Gauguin people were cold and impersonal and cared more about what outfit the had on.

Returned when P&G took it on by themselves and it was a complete change. Staff was warm and friendly so were passengers.

Plan on returning in 2024 was supposed to when COVID hit as we did our 30, 40 and now 50 anniversary so it will be 52 when we do it.

The snorkeling in Cook Island was amazing but weather for stop are hit and miss.

17 hours ago, Trend said:

Returned when P&G took it on by themselves and it was a complete change. Staff was warm and friendly so were passengers.

Plan on returning in 2024 was supposed to when COVID hit as we did our 30, 40 and now 50 anniversary so it will be 52 when we do it...

Just to note that the PG has again changed hands. Ponant is now the owner. And btw, we never experienced the cold attitudes  you reported when RSSC ran the ship.

• Like 1

We have sailed 9 times on the PG.. The crew and to be honest the islands make your cruise wonderful. 99% of the passengers are friendly and down to earth. No fancy clothing or jewelry required.It doesn't matter which deck you are on ( we have been on every deck from 4 to 8th) you will have a good time. We enjoyed the lectures and entertainment while on board. Take advantage of them.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:40 PM, pittsburgh.joe said:

Looking forward to sailing on the PG under Ponant this April. Must say that our two experiences with the previous owners, one on Regent, one with Richard Bailey's Pacific Beachcomber were both terrific. It's really the PG staff that make this sailing so great!

We thought that the cruise was at its best under Richard, really liked him.

1 hour ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Wendy, which April cruise will you be on?

Oh, none Carol, unfortunately.  I wish.  We did Regent Splendor in the Caribbean this January, but we could get there with no flying.  Don't think we'll be doing the PG again, sadly.  You?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, JulieD said:

Julie D. I am so sorry for your loss.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, JulieD said:

I have not been on either cruise lines but I’m sure they are both very nice. I’ve only heard good reviews about both companies. I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. I’m praying for comfort & peace for you both. 🙏🏼

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, Buffyr said:

My husband and I are FINALLY getting serious about visiting French Polynesia.  We are pretty sure we will sail on Paul Gauguin, but are confused about itineraries.  Is there a resource that really explains what you will see on an expanded itinerary beyond the 7-day Society Islands?

An OWB is a dream, but would we rather have more days on the ship?  

We also like to snorkel, but want to enjoy other activities as well.  

I wrote this awhile ago and we still haven’t been to FP! We think 2024 will be the year, she said hopefully. 

Here are my big questions:

1. What is the best month, preferably in the first half of the year?

2. Paul Gauguin or Windstar?

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Buffyr said:

I wrote this awhile ago and we still haven’t been to FP! We think 2024 will be the year, she said hopefully. 

Here are my big questions:

1. What is the best month, preferably in the first half of the year?

2. Paul Gauguin or Windstar?

Thank you!

IMO  ... April

Paul Gauguin or Windstar?  Both are good choices  .... but 2024 brings in an interesting situation. Windstar plans to leave the Sea Breeze full time in FP. PG and SB are similar in their capacity count. Both have their strong points  ... big question ... will Windstar hire some local Polynesians to be on-board full time to give some cultural feel/experiences to the ship, something PG has done very well with over the years. Both have good food, both have specialty islands of their own and both have marinas. 

PG is all -inclusive  ... Windstar has an optional all inclusive plan for a large fee. 

There are no bad choices for you  ....