Onboard Testing Prior to Arrival in Bermuda

ZipGirl

44 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I believe the ship gets fined, thus passing along to the cruiser.  I read about a similar situation on the Princess board.  This cruiser left from Los Angeles, and she decided to get off in a Hawaiian port and fly home.  She also had to pay a fine before leaving ship.

Yes.  The cruise line/passenger can apply for relief/mitigation after the fact and depending on the circumstances may get their money back.

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Has anyone else ever run into this?  I’m currently on the Summit and we were in Charleston yesterday and we ran into a woman who had to disembark the ship due to a medical issue at home.  She claimed that she had to pay $843 to leave the ship because she was violating the “Jones Act “.  The woman was distraught and I don’t know if “Jones Act” is the correct regulation but at least according to her there wasn’t any exception for emergencies.

Just didn’t seem fair.

it's the law.

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Has anyone else ever run into this?  I’m currently on the Summit and we were in Charleston yesterday and we ran into a woman who had to disembark the ship due to a medical issue at home.  She claimed that she had to pay $843 to leave the ship because she was violating the “Jones Act “.  The woman was distraught and I don’t know if “Jones Act” is the correct regulation but at least according to her there wasn’t any exception for emergencies.

Just didn’t seem fair.

It's not the Jones Act, it was the PVSA.  I don't thinks there's a written exception for emergencies, but I believe I've read here on CC that there may a be a waiver of the fine in certain instances.  (The fine is paid by the cruise line, and I believe it's up to the cruise line whether to pass the fine down to the passenger.)

I've just found this article giving a possible waiver example stating that a cruise line can apply for a waiver in the case of an early disembarkation by a guest who was experiencing a medical emergency.   No idea what other circumstances involving a guest might be sufficient for getting a waiver.

https://www.hupla.co/en/faq/what-is-passenger-vessel-service-act-pvsa-in-the-cruise-industry

On 5/20/2022 at 10:35 AM, StartrainDD said:

Are you on the Silhouette?  I posted this yesterday on the 10-20-22 roll call...

Apologies in advance if this message is a "Wet blanket" for some..., but I feel a little head's up is only fair.

Re: Bermuda:  I realize October is a long way off (Five months, right?) however we are sailing on the Summit on June 2 and yesterday received official word from X that our itinerary has changed to go to Bermuda FIRST, followed by Charleston, SC (the two ports planned).  Why this change?  It is due to Bermuda's Covid restrictions which calls for the cruise line to test all passengers if Bermuda is not the first port of call.  So X switched the sequence, putting us in Bermuda on the weekend where public transit is much less available, and needing to tender in on two of our three days there.

If Bermuda does not change their covid testing requirement by October I would fully expect that X will change the itinerary and Bermuda will be dropped.  It is apparent that X really does not want to test the entire passenger compliment.

Would the ship stop somewhere else?  Who knows.  I wouldn't mind a day in Bimini or a visit to Labadee..

I am wondering if they took our cruise off the website to change our ports

37 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I am wondering if they took our cruise off the website to change our ports

Except that they put us back on the web site pretty soon after.  And, right now, our TA is showing as bookable (only veranda cabins), with the same itinerary, including the overnight in Bermuda.  It's still a really long way off, much can change about what Bermuda is doing.  Just today, Bermuda modified their travel authorization requirement to eliminate the need for an additional test when Bermuda is not the first port, as long at the ship reaches Bermuda in no more than 4 days. (See link below.)  That will be a great help to the cruise lines sailing now from the East Coast to Bermuda but with port calls first at places like Charleston or Newport.   So it seems Bermuda has been working with the cruise lines.  Personally, I think it's too soon to speculate or worry about Bermuda next October.  

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Just saw this

Make reservations | Bookings powered by resQwest.com (www.gov.bm)

As of today you do not need to upload negative covid results.  Looks like you still have to have a negative covid test upon embarkation (which the cruise line requires anyway)  You DO still need the BTA but just uploading your vaccination, NOT coved test results.

Edited by doodlefan