How to avoid catching COVID on a cruise

islandwoman

16 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Yay!!     What steps did you end up following, to avoid it?

Best,

Mary

We avoided socializing with other passengers  🙁, none of whom were wearing masks. We wore KN-95 masks in all public areas.  When we could not wear a mask:  We got many of our meals at the Oceanview Cafe and ate them at the Sunset Bar (outside).  Sometimes we ordered room service and ate on our deck.  A few times we ate in the main dining room at a table for two, away from other diners.  It was very considerate of the crew to be wearing masks.

The only difficulty we had with following our self-imposed COVID protocols, was on the Celebrity shore excursion river cruise in Belize.  We were jammed into a small boat with so many other passengers that it was impossible to practice anything approaching  social distancing. We were sat shoulder to shoulder and thigh to thigh.(ick!) I guess that being outside and our wearing a mask helped.

We chose outdoor activities in all of the ports: The Conch Train in Key West; Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, Paradise Beach in Bimini.  Warm weather cruises are definitely the way to go for those of us who are at high risk for COVID. 

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

DH and I are back from our cruise.  We didn't catch COVID 😊

I have sailed 42 days this year, 3 different ships and no Covid here either😀

Edited by Mary229

6 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

We avoided socializing with other passengers  🙁, none of whom were wearing masks. We wore KN-95 masks in all public areas.  When we could not wear a mask:  We got many of our meals at the Oceanview Cafe and ate them at the Sunset Bar (outside).  Sometimes we ordered room service and ate on our deck.  A few times we ate in the main dining room at a table for two, away from other diners.  It was very considerate of the crew to be wearing masks.

The only difficulty we had with following our self-imposed COVID protocols, was on the Celebrity shore excursion river cruise in Belize.  We were jammed into a small boat with so many other passengers that it was impossible to practice anything approaching  social distancing. We were sat shoulder to shoulder and thigh to thigh.(ick!) I guess that being outside and our wearing a mask helped.

We chose outdoor activities in all of the ports: The Conch Train in Key West; Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, Paradise Beach in Bimini.  Warm weather cruises are definitely the way to go for those of us who are at high risk for COVID. 

Thanks!    That's basically what we plan to do as well..    Thinking we'll mostly eat outside, but maybe, as you did, try the dining room when it's uncrowded, and away from others.

Our daughter has been so good at avoiding covid, but recently attended a conference.   She and her colleague wore their masks all the time indoors (even though very few others did), but ended up eating dinner in restaurants, when it was sometimes crowded.    My daughter came down with covid 2 days after she returned home (it was a relatively minor case, and after a few rough days, she recovered nicely).     We have such a long trip planned, in addition to preferring not to get covid at all, we'd really like to avoid missing part of our vacation due to being in quarantine (or failing the boarding test).

Anyway, I very much appreciate your report, glad you had a nice time & avoided the dreaded C19 🙂

Mary

As they say, “You do you!”. I’m 70, work in a hospital, and we were one of the first units to take Covid patients.  I’ve had provoked PEs which infarcted in my lungs leaving a small cough and slight hoarseness, and I have allergies - including environmental ones. I am vaxxed and boosted and I have followed most of SaragassoPirate’s rules since I started traveling years ago.  I used to be laughed at because I wiped down hotel rooms and ship’s cabins. I don’t worry about eating off the ship as I bring dairy free protein bars and a bottle of water with me. Nowadays I mask most of the time and, yes, often outside too! I’ve had more than one person look at me and sneeze or cough at me without covering their mouth. A lovely side benefit to this has been that my environmental allergies haven’t cause any hives since Covid!  My daughter, who has had a provoked stroke does the same. 

She and I Amtrak’ed (masked) to Bayonne and sailed the Oasis last year. Since we’re both natural born introverts, we spent much time away from people, enjoyed our Boardwalk Balcony and had a lovely time. Did not take elevators (still try to avoid them) and stayed away from crowds.  Even saw some shows (socially distanced, of course!). Returned home happy, relaxed and healthy. In April of this year, my husband - who is an avid anti-masker- and I flew to NY and sailed NCL to the Bahamas. I followed all my usual travel habits. He (also vaxxed and boosted) ripped off his mask as soon as he was off the plane and never used it again.  He insisted we go to all shows (crowded) and joined large groups in the elevators. Two days before the end of the cruise I noticed he was coming down with a cold…hmm….the last day, I had noticeable cough (I always have a small one. See paragraph 1). Of course I didn’t *sleep* in a mask though….Sigh. Got home Sunday - tested negative Tuesday. Tested Friday with symptoms almost gone. Yup - positive. We had been isolating from each other (and if the fate of humankind rests on my husband having to isolate, we’re all doomed). The disease was very mild for me fortunately and DD never caught it. Which is good since she owns the house and could throw us out! 😆😆😆

I am cruising in Sept. with my daughter. We are disinfecting, masking on the train and everywhere else, taking stairs, etc, and I have a feeling we’ll be fine, she and I…!  I love being on the water and I think the risk is worth it, but I’ll do my best to help lower the risk.  I hope that you have a good and healthy time.

• Like 2

Now we know how to sail on an ocean cruise without catching COVID.  But how do we handle a river cruise?  I just discovered that the Viking River Cruise that I'm booked on in October doesn't offer room service.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

Now we know how to sail on an ocean cruise without catching COVID.  But how do we handle a river cruise?  I just discovered that the Viking River Cruise that I'm booked on in October doesn't offer room service.  Any ideas?

oh, boy!    We actually were supposed to go with a few other couples on a Viking RC this past spring.   We realized that it would be too "weird" if we left the group and carried our food back to our room - if that's even allowed.    So, we decided not to go.   Of the 2 other couples that went, one couple both got covid, the other not at all.    at that time Viking was doing daily testing, and debarking people who tested positive; our friend tested positive the last day; his DW after they got home.

October may still be warm enough that you could eat meals outside on the deck, maybe?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

October may still be warm enough that you could eat meals outside on the deck, maybe?

Do they serve on the deck, or are you suggesting that we should carry our food back to our cabin?

Did Viking return your deposit for the cruise you cancelled?

8 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Do they serve on the deck, or are you suggesting that we should carry our food back to our cabin?

Did Viking return your deposit for the cruise you cancelled?

I think there is some food service on the deck; if not, hoping you could take your plate back to cabin if you like.    We still have not actually done a river cruise.

That's an interesting question:    we had booked the same river cruise for 2021... and you know what happened then.    When final payment came due, we all thought that was too iffy; Viking essentially gave us each a voucher for our deposits; the others used their voucher on the cruise this spring.   I suspect DH and I have essentially lost our initial deposits of $250 each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, islandwoman said:

cooncat_mom, I'm sorry to hear that you caught COVID.  I hope that you are fully recovered. 

Thank you! I really thought I had a little cold. In all honesty, I tested because I had cold symptoms when I returned from the cruise, so work wanted a test and my husband decided to test too.  That was negative, but we isolated because of my daughter’s medical history.  Then I had to test again 5 days after my return even if there weren’t any symptoms (for work again), and that’s when we tested positive. I think my husband was sorry he tested with me….I had such a mild case that it was over by the time I tested positive! 😆 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I suspect DH and I have essentially lost our initial deposits of $250 each.

That is a small thing compared to your health.

ETA: also compared to many other deposits!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, islandwoman said:

As I've posted before, I cruise/travel and wear a mask. 

Problem is that it's impossible to wear a mask while eating. Taking a mask off in the dining room would be like your taking off your helmet in traffic, not a good idea.

Also, wearing a single layer cloth mask is like wearing a bicycle helmet to ride a motorcycle.

How do you eat out on land? 

36 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

How do you eat out on land? 

We don't eat at any restaurants that have only indoor seating.  We sometimes eat in outdoor dining venues, so long as they're not crowded.  Otherwise we get carry-out or cook at home.

• Like 1