NCL Cruises to Japan

What happened to the NCL cruises to Japan on the Sun that used to be scheduled for October and November 2022?

I have been looking at those waiting for them to get cheaper. I just looked again and they are all gone. Did they get cancelled due to Covid or did they get sold out? I can't imagine them all selling out within just a couple days. But I am not seeing anything for Norwegian Sun for those months now or any NCL cruises to Asia for 2022

Then only Japan cruise on the website is the Jewel in April 2024.   (Japan to Seward)   However the Jewel does not have any cruises before that posted yet.

I would imagine that Japan cruises will be determined by the availability of ships that are going to be in Australia/New Zealand southern summers in 2022/23 and 2023/24.   At present the Spirit is scheduled there and it has been from there to Japan previously.

Yesterday all of the Asian cruises for late 2022/early 2023 were showing as sold out if you tried to actually book them. Today they were all pulled from the site. I suspect they are cancelling their Asian itinerary much like Celebrity and Holland America did. I'm booked on the Dec 22nd cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong. They haven't notified me yet that it's cancelled.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unclegrandpa said:

I wonder why they cancelled them

Japan is opening up to triple vaccinated 'small groups'  of tourists next month.  It could possibly still be awhile until they let large cruise ships full of passengers into the country.  

I was on hold with NCL yesterday for 1 hour 40 minutes.  They only know when NCL issues a statement and that is all they are able to search for.  Most of us on these boards know much more about NCL then most of their agents.  Since every single cruise that features Japan has disappeared I think it is a good bet that NCL has cancelled all Japan cruises.  I even tried to search through 3rd party web sights and they weren't there either. 

Now to plan B.  Anyone have any ideas for other cruises this November/December?

I have been booked on the Dawn's April 13, 2023 Japan sailing & the April 25th, 2023 Transpacific.  They still show on my site but they are gone from a general search and The Dawn now is showing in the Caribbean during those dates!  I have not been notified that they have cancelled but I am expecting it.  Not happy as this will be the 3rd reschedule due to cancellation.

Sad, 

Genzi

1 hour ago, bsnyc said:

I was on hold with NCL yesterday for 1 hour 40 minutes.  They only know when NCL issues a statement and that is all they are able to search for.  Most of us on these boards know much more about NCL then most of their agents.  Since every single cruise that features Japan has disappeared I think it is a good bet that NCL has cancelled all Japan cruises.  I even tried to search through 3rd party web sights and they weren't there either. 

Now to plan B.  Anyone have any ideas for other cruises this November/December?

Trans Pacific Tokyo to Alaska April 2024 is still showing , for now anyway.  So not every cruise.

in the last week or so, I have seen postings quoting both Mr. Del Rio and Mr. Sommer as saying both The Sun and The Spirit were going to experience re-deployments.  Have not seen anything yet as to when or what the new itineraries would be.

3 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

I have been booked on the Dawn's April 13, 2023 Japan sailing & the April 25th, 2023 Transpacific.  They still show on my site but they are gone from a general search and The Dawn now is showing in the Caribbean during those dates!  I have not been notified that they have cancelled but I am expecting it.  Not happy as this will be the 3rd reschedule due to cancellation.

Sad, 

Genzi

The Dawn? I think you mean the Sun. 

I don’t think Japan has reopened for cruise ships. Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong. 

I have a cruise booked out of Tokyo in March 2023.  It is still showing in my account but not on the website.  I hope they make cancellations public soon, as I have seen a different trip that I would like to do, but with a different cruise line.

35 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

The Dawn? I think you mean the Sun. 

I don’t think Japan has reopened for cruise ships. Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong. 

You are right, sorry; but still it is not showing up on NCL site.  I hope that the reschedule will work out.  So many cancellation - reschedules.

Come on NCL, just cancel the Japan cruises so we can move on. I just got off the phone and received the answer I expected, “We don’t know”. I’m booked back to back on the Sun then flying TYO-TLV to join the Epic to Rome then to the Island Princess to FLL. There are currently NO cruises to Japan offered by any line the remainder of the year. I suspect NCL will wait until late summer then I’ll be scrambling to figure out how to get to TLV. 

It's official, I received my cancellation emails minutes ago. The Sun Aisa trips are canceled, and the ship is moving to Europe and doing roundtrips to the Canary Islands. At least they were much faster in notification than they have been in the past.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Norwegian Sun.

As a company, we are committed to providing exceptional vacation experiences, which includes taking our guests to the destination they want to visit most. Given challenging and inconsistent local travel restrictions related to the public health environment in Asia, we have made the decision to reposition Norwegian Sun from Asia to Europe to offer roundtrip itineraries to the Canary Islands. All sailings aboard Norwegian Sun from October 11, 2022 through and including April 25, 2023 have been canceled. We understand the desire to travel now more than ever, so we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A full monetary refund of the fare paid will be automatically returned to the form of payment provided at the time of reservation. No further action is required; your refund will be automatically processed within 30 business days. You will see the refund returned to the original form of payment 7-10 business days from the processed date. The visibility of the funds is dependent on each financial institution's internal policies.

For those reservations paid via a previously issued Future Cruise Credit (FCC), 100% of the FCC used will be automatically re-applied to your Latitudes account. No further action is required; the FCC will be automatically added to the account within 7 days of the cancelation date. Additionally, we will be extending the book and sail by date of your FCC to Dec. 31, 2024.

As we share your disappointment, we have issued a 10% discount in the form of an FCC. This credit can be used through June 6, 2023 and can be applied towards any of our published sailings through December 31, 2024. If you still wish to explore the bucket-list-worthy destinations in Asia, the 2023/2024 voyages will be available to book beginning June 16, 2022. This additional FCC will be available as of June 6, 2022.

Additionally, we will reimburse any airline-imposed change/cancelation fees up to $300 USD per person. Please submit your receipts for review at www.ncl.com/case-submission.

If you are interested in selecting another sailing for your upcoming vacation, please contact us at 1-800-327-7030 or your travel professional. Guests residing outside of the U.S. or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local contact information.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon.

Not unexpected as many cruise lines have been cancelling their Asis seasons in recent weeks.

Still disappointing, as we had booked a nine cruise 105 day back to back, v from HK on 26 Jan 2023 right through to Vancouver. 

Good the notice was so far ahead so we can make other plans!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

The new Canary Island cruises are just loaded on NCL website today.

These and the Panama Canal x2, both way Transatlantic crossings. Those itineraries are fantastic .... and I hope NCL will repeat that for winter 2023-24 so we can go! We're going on one cruise next month (Iceland & Greenland) and already have an UK trip booked in Oct and have already booked B2B Alaskan next year May.

The ship Sun might not be a big ship but the new itineraries are bloody good!

Note: the two Transatlantic crossings are not of the usual kinds - the eastbound one is in Nov (when other ships do the westbound) and the westbound is in April (when other ships do the other way).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

These and the Panama Canal x2, both way Transatlantic crossings. Those itineraries are fantastic .... and I hope NCL will repeat that for winter 2023-24 so we can go! We're going on one cruise next month (Iceland & Greenland) and already have an UK trip booked in Oct and have already booked B2B Alaskan next year May.

The ship Sun might not be a big ship but the new itineraries are bloody good!

Note: the two Transatlantic crossings are not of the usual kinds - the eastbound one is in Nov (when other ships do the westbound) and the westbound is in April (when other ships do the other way).

Yea the opposite directions of transatlantic voyages are really unusual.

Off topic but I will be on the next Greenland cruise after you (25th July)!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

The new Canary Island cruises are just loaded on NCL website today.

Thanks for the heads up, I just booked the 14 day Sun cruise.  Amazing itinerary and price!

R/T out of Lisbon; visits Spain, Portugal,  6 ports in the Canaries, 2 ports in Morocco.

Sail date 3/19/2023

Genzi

• Like 1