On Board Attire

ScottC4746

This is my first cruise on Celebrity on the Solstice leaving 2 Sept to Alaska and am getting a little worried about my wardrobe now.

I've been watching Youtube videos and everyone seems to be dressed like they are at a swanky resort.  I saw no one in the videos in shorts, blue jeans or Polo pull over shirts.  No tennis shoes and no flip flops.

My DH will probably poop out by 7 but I want to enjoy the evening activities be it a show, or late night in one of the bars listening to music.  We are in Concierge Class room so main dining room for us.  We probably won't do an upcharge restaurant.

Help!  Suggestions please?  I am not the best for fashion choices here which is why I am reaching out for help.

Of course what you are seeing on uTube shows people very dressed up. Every cruise line wants to make it look like everyone is very fashionable all the time. Not so. First you need to learn what the weather will be- about 2 weeks out you can get a good idea. Days in Alaska are very casual jeans are fine. Nights you might want to up it a bit- slacks and a blouse are fine. A dress if you want, or skirt.  Alaska can be a very active cruise. Depending on what you are doing all day you may not be up for late nights cause  the excursion the next day may start at 7:30. Tennis shoes, especially the non neon ones, are common. 

As a mid-40s professional I dress appropriately in my day job. I come to Celebrity to escape all that, so it is jeans, designer jeans, and golf shorts depending on the venue. Never feel out of place. 

• Like 2

We did Alaska on Solstice right before Covid. Everyone dressed in jeans, tees and flannel shirts. It was a bit chilly the first week June.  Everyone switched it up a bit at night, chinos, shirts, nice slacks for women and sweaters. Nothing dressy. 

note…. We  needed raincoats for two days. Was also very chilly going up to Dawes   glacier and we wore warm hats, coats, gloves, etc.that morning. Pack accordingly. 

12 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Of course what you are seeing on uTube shows people very dressed up. Every cruise line wants to make it look like everyone is very fashionable all the time. Not so. First you need to learn what the weather will be- about 2 weeks out you can get a good idea. Days in Alaska are very casual jeans are fine. Nights you might want to up it a bit- slacks and a blouse are fine. A dress if you want, or skirt.  Alaska can be a very active cruise. Depending on what you are doing all day you may not be up for late nights cause  the excursion the next day may start at 7:30. Tennis shoes, especially the non neon ones, are common. 

Nope not doing drag.  I will change it to slacks and dress style shirt and no dresses or skirts. LOL.

We did not book shore excursions.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Remember no shorts in the main dining room at dinner

Oh please don't let this thread turn into a dining room attire thread. LOL

I won't even wear shorts in the pointy end of the airplane.

• Like 1

I wore flip flops to get my early morning coffee on my last Alaska cruise.  It was on HAL, but pretty sure Celebrity cruisers will be dressing the same.  Never saw any shorts.  Plenty of jeans and casually dressed up for dinner.  Gala night, or fancy night saw more dressing up, but not like the old days of cruising when men wore suits and/or tuxes.  

In Alaska, it's jeans/sweatshirts/flannel shirts/sweaters during the day.  In the evening, slacks with a blouse for ladies and khakis and any kind of collared shirt for the guys.  Enjoy the beauty of the area!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Nope not doing drag.  I will change it to slacks and dress style shirt and no dresses or skirts. LOL.

We did not book shore excursions.

How will we know if you have great knees then?? 
No excursions. Hm. Okay. Not even to go whale watching? 

9 hours ago, 5waldos said:

No excursions. Hm. Okay. Not even to go whale watching? 

Please whatever you do, book excursions (private or through the ship) as a cruise to Alaska without excursions and only walking near the port is all Diamonds Internationals and other cruise ship owned shops.   

And as far as clothing, Alaska was the most casual cruise we have ever been on.  Plus your luggage will need to filled with layers of clothing and rain gear.   

Our cruise to Alaska was very casual. Not like the Caribbean.  Make sure you bring clothing for wet weather.  I bought a pair of waterproof shoes and they came in handy.

Just returned from a RC Alaskan cruise a few weeks ago.

All of the advice on this thread is absolutely correct. Comfortable, casual  clothing is the way to go even in the evenings. Leave the heels at home and bring the flip flops. Heck, we even saw people come down to the Promenade for coffee in the mornings still wearing their pajamas!

14 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Oh please don't let this thread turn into a dining room attire thread. LOL

I won't even wear shorts in the pointy end of the airplane.

You're funny.  When you open that can of worms, what do you expect?  Enjoy your cruise.  🙂

14 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

This is my first cruise on Celebrity on the Solstice leaving 2 Sept to Alaska and am getting a little worried about my wardrobe now.

I've been watching Youtube videos and everyone seems to be dressed like they are at a swanky resort.  I saw no one in the videos in shorts, blue jeans or Polo pull over shirts.  No tennis shoes and no flip flops.

My DH will probably poop out by 7 but I want to enjoy the evening activities be it a show, or late night in one of the bars listening to music.  We are in Concierge Class room so main dining room for us.  We probably won't do an upcharge restaurant.

Help!  Suggestions please?  I am not the best for fashion choices here which is why I am reaching out for help.

Promotional videos are likely taken on elegant chic nights (formerly called formal nights).

Reality is that shorts are fine pretty much everywhere during the day.  In the evening, men's shorts are not supposed to be allowed in the MDR.  Enforcement is mixed.  I did see one guy an adjacent table was wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt on elegant night, but on regular (smart casual) nights, I saw some turned away.  Nice jeans are fine in the MDR on the "smart casual" nights.  

Outside of the dining rooms, you will see shorts.  Some of them change after dinner, others will have had dinner in the buffet, where shorts are permitted.

• Like 1

I am on the same Alaska sailing as you! Since our valuable suitcase space is going to be taken up with warm clothes and layers for the Alaska weather, I do not intent to dress up much/at all on the cruise. On a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity, my warm weather attire is "dressy" enough for most venues on the ship (I never wear shorts or flip flops anyway), but in Alaska, I will definitely be wearing jeans and hiking/walking shoes much of the time. If I bring anything to change into for Evening Chic nights, it will be one dress that I will recycle.

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Our cruise to Alaska was very casual. Not like the Caribbean.  Make sure you bring clothing for wet weather.  I bought a pair of waterproof shoes and they came in handy.

I was very surprised on our casual our edge Caribbean cruise was last July, even on there “formal night “ almost no jackets anywhere, I had one on first night not second. Dockers and a collared shirt are fine for dinner anywhere including suite restaurant. During day shorts are fine .

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

No need to worry.  Daytime is pretty much "you do you."  Shorts are perfectly fine anywhere during the day, and polo shirts are fine anytime.  Alaskan cruises are more casual, so even jeans are fine at night.

Personally, I don't wear jeans on a cruise at all because they are so bulky to pack.  I prefer lighter, no-wrinkle/no-iron pants (sometimes called "golf pants," but they get called all sorts of things).  They pack very lightly and are at least as comfortable as jeans (and they don't look bad, either!)  They can be very stain resistant, too.  I spilled a glass of red wine on a pair of Amazon Essentials pants, and I was able to brush nearly all of it away and blot up the rest.  DW and I were floored that a pair of $35 pants could look good, be comfortable, and do that!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moneeman said:

In Alaska, it's jeans/sweatshirts/flannel shirts/sweaters during the day.  In the evening, slacks with a blouse for ladies and khakis and any kind of collared shirt for the guys.  Enjoy the beauty of the area!

Just make sure to pack  a couple of lighter weight layers, last week we had temperatures in the 60's, even at the glacier it wasn't cold. You just never know.

5 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Good because after dinner and at the end of the night, hopefully there will be a bar nice jeans and say a flannel shirt will work for a quiet night cap.

They have to be ripped jeans to get into the bar.  🙂

On 5/23/2022 at 4:07 PM, ScottC4746 said:

Just got off on Monday. I saw fancy, chic, jeans, polo shirts and even some shorts in the dining room! I wouldn't worry. I wore nice jeans and button shirts.