Time frame for pre-cruise testing

PSR

I know this has been discussed here before, but now I am getting worried because my latest cruise information from O emphasizes the "48 hour" time for an antigen test. Has anyone been challenged that their test 2 days before a cruise was more than 48 hours, such as 52 hours, and so invalid? Our test is scheduled for 10am on the Saturday before our Monday cruise. I don't know when our boarding time will be, but I'm sure it's not 10am on Monday. Oceania's original statement about the 48 hours had a chart that just said the test needed to be done on "Saturday", no time listed. Appreciate any comments/information.

10 minutes ago, PSR said:

I know this has been discussed here before, but now I am getting worried because my latest cruise information from O emphasizes the "48 hour" time for an antigen test. Has anyone been challenged that their test 2 days before a cruise was more than 48 hours, such as 52 hours, and so invalid? Our test is scheduled for 10am on the Saturday before our Monday cruise. I don't know when our boarding time will be, but I'm sure it's not 10am on Monday. Oceania's original statement about the 48 hours had a chart that just said the test needed to be done on "Saturday", no time listed. Appreciate any comments/information.

look at the SailSafe FAQs. I haven’t looked at the current ones but, in the past, 24, 48 and 72 hrs referred to calendar days (they even had a little chart that showed it).

remember that, if it was truly 48 actual hrs., time zone differences from numerous passengers’ points of origin would require an awful lot of manpower to do the hours conversion pier-side for each person wanting to board.

• Thanks 1

I sailed in late April, in Europe. I had a test 3 days ahead of time, not 72 hours. (Tested Wednesday morning, embarked Saturday afternoon). Oceania honored the "day" commitment chart they had posted. Three days before a foreign departure, 2 days before a US departure. You will be fine with your test on Saturday before a Monday cruise.

• Thanks 1

Our May 3, 2022 Regatta cruise left on a Tuesday, so based on the chart that was previously in the FAQ's, we tested on Sunday at about 10 a.m.  When we checked in on Tuesday, sometime after 11 a.m., the only thing that was looked at was the day of the test, not the time.

As "Flatbush Flyer" mentioned, given that people are traveling to the ship from a variety of time zones,  apparently Oceania meant within 2 days as "48 hours" is too exact a measurement, unless you were planning on determining a unique time for each passenger.  IMO Oceania does a pretty poor job of communicating - seems like they strive to make the simple into something incomprehensible.

• Thanks 1

Travelling from Phoenix, AZ (evening) to Rome on 6/12 for our 6/15 embarkation.  Will arrive in Rome on 6/13. Decided to not get into the minutia of specifics of time and ordered the Inspire test kits (proctored exams) advertised by Oceania.  Booked an appointment late afternoon the day before we embark, and will do it from our hotel room on our tablets, with Zoom. Our hotel does have free wifi and higher speed wifi for a cost. I do understand there is a lot of local testing at pharmacies as well, which can be plan B.

Edited by DENIE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re boarding in Barcelona on Sunday and have a 2-day precruise program, so our flight leaves on Thursday afternoon. The information I got originally said the test had to be done no sooner than three days prior to embarkation, so I booked appointments a couple weeks ago for mom and me to get rapid tests at CVS on Thursday morning. Then today I rechecked the information and saw that 3 days is only for PCR tests - antigen tests needed to be done no sooner than 1 day before embarkation. ARGH! Luckily, Walgreens does NAAT rapid tests, so I was able to get us appointments there on Thursday morning. Let’s hope that will still be sufficient by the time we leave!

5 hours ago, SisterHavana said:

We’re boarding in Barcelona on Sunday and have a 2-day precruise program, so our flight leaves on Thursday afternoon. The information I got originally said the test had to be done no sooner than three days prior to embarkation, so I booked appointments a couple weeks ago for mom and me to get rapid tests at CVS on Thursday morning. Then today I rechecked the information and saw that 3 days is only for PCR tests - antigen tests needed to be done no sooner than 1 day before embarkation. ARGH! Luckily, Walgreens does NAAT rapid tests, so I was able to get us appointments there on Thursday morning. Let’s hope that will still be sufficient by the time we leave!

We're on the same cruise and I am confused when you say you "saw" information that the antigen tests are one day prior to embarkation.  In the Oceania Sail Safe information area it says that either PCR tests or antigen tests can be 72 hours prior to embarkation.  Please tell me where you see the timing information that I do not see!

Thanks

J

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, flrose said:

We're on the same cruise and I am confused when you say you "saw" information that the antigen tests are one day prior to embarkation.  In the Oceania Sail Safe information area it says that either PCR tests or antigen tests can be 72 hours prior to embarkation.  Please tell me where you see the timing information that I do not see!

Thanks

J

It was in the Travel & Entry Requirements email I got from Oceania on May 11 - if you scroll way down, they give the specific embarkation testing requirements for each country. Here’s what it says for Spain:

SPAIN:

·         TESTING FOR EMBARKATION: All guests must present a negative Covid-19 antigen or PCR test that is not more than 1 day old (antigen) or 3 days old (PCR) at time of embarkation.

·         All travelers must have proof of vaccination when going ashore.

·         Face masks are currently mandated for all indoor activities and attractions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flrose said:

Thanks

J

The Travel & Entry email you’ll receive (one or more times, if things change) during the several weeks prior to your cruise will have updated requirements/restrictions info.

That email has affected us just recently by stating that “northern” Europe embarkations still require 72 hr window for PCR but now require 48 hr window for Antigen.

FWIW, we fly out of SFO this Friday AM and have scheduled a pre-flight Antigen test with nearby (San Bruno) drive-thru OnPoint rapid test site (email results in under an hour but usually much faster). BTW - our driver doesn’t mind the short stop.

Though the Antigen test will work fine for any contingency enroute by air through FRA and onward to ARN, O’s shortening the Antigen pretest window to 48 hrs for a Monday embarkation “threw a wrench in the works.”

So, we will add a rapid PCR test when we stop at OnPoint (okay for the 72 hr window). It has a max 5 hr email results window.

But, we’ll still do the Antigen test also. Why? 
Since there is a remote possibility that we will not get the PCR result before our flight departs, having the Antigen result earlier will inform any decision about not flying and possibly saving the bizclass fare for use another day. Basically, the antigen test is insurance. And, if positive, it will serve as the necessary proof for a full refund from O.

FWIW: We travel intercontinentally a lot by air (and I did the same for work pre-retirement). Having experienced a fair share of unexpected challenges, I do tend to “hope for the best/prepare for the worst” in taking a relatively conservative approach to travel practices. And it’s helped avoid any FUBAR situations. 

• Like 2

We are traveling from Houston (afternoon) to Rome (3 day Oceania pre hotel) on 6/11 for our 6/15 embarkation.  Will arrive in Rome on 6/12. So we will be unable to do a 3 day before embarkation PCR test at home in Houston. 

It appears to me we have 2 choices:

1. order the Inspire test kits (proctored exams) advertised by Oceania, and book an appointment late afternoon the day before we embark, and do it from our hotel room on our tablets, with Zoom. As Denie is doing (see 6 entries previous)

2. Let Oceania do testing at the terminal (for a fee) , which may delay embarkation.

Do I have all the options correct?

Which would you chose?

I can not believe Oceania will not be doing testing for pre-cruise travelers at their chosen hotels!?

19 minutes ago, rockjock75 said:

I can not believe Oceania will not be doing testing for pre-cruise travelers at their chosen hotels!?

Are you doing  an Oceania Hotel package ??

If so I would ask what arrangements they are doing for those guests

If not check with your hotel to see where you can get the test done

JMO

48 minutes ago, rockjock75 said:

We are traveling from Houston (afternoon) to Rome (3 day Oceania pre hotel) on 6/11 for our 6/15 embarkation.  Will arrive in Rome on 6/12. So we will be unable to do a 3 day before embarkation PCR test at home in Houston. 

1. order the Inspire test kits (proctored exams) advertised by Oceania, and book an appointment late afternoon the day before we embark, and do it from our hotel room on our tablets, with Zoom. As Denie is doing (see 6 entries previous)

2. Let Oceania do testing at the terminal (for a fee) , which may delay embarkation.

Which would you chose?

FWIW - I also emailed our hotel in Rome and explained what we are doing, and they are happy to print our results for us if we forward the email from Inspire to them.  It sounds like they are very used to doing this.

Also - there is a GREAT YouTube video - just put Inspire Diagnostic Testing for cruising in the subject box.  The lady in the demo is going on a Carnival cruise, but the packaging she is using is exactly what we received, so the process is the same.  Made it seem less intimidating.  It was so easy to book our time (just remember the time zone difference - I Googled "time difference between Eastern Time Zone and Rome" to be certain).  You receive an email confirmation of your time.  Save that email to a folder, and on the day of the test, you just open the link right in the email - we tested it, and it took us right into Zoom.

55 minutes ago, rockjock75 said:

Which would you chose?

Check with the hotel concierge beforehand regarding close by options.

1 hour ago, rockjock75 said:

Which would you chose?

I faced the same dilemma with testing us expiring before the cruise and  super expensive testing in Spain.....    Too many hurdles and running around    So we cancelled the cruise till sanity returns. maybe in 23.

By the way Testing and masks no longer required  for many European countries  and no masks on planes wither or in US terminals  except  LAX....    Spain and Maybe Italy are wound  a bit too thght to enjoy this  year..........  Thank God for Switzerland.

Thanks for all the responses...I guess I forgot to mention I was cruising from Seattle rather than Europe. All the rules for Europe seem really confusing!😲

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SisterHavana said:

It was in the Travel & Entry Requirements email I got from Oceania on May 11 - if you scroll way down, they give the specific embarkation testing requirements for each country. Here’s what it says for Spain:

SPAIN:

·         TESTING FOR EMBARKATION: All guests must present a negative Covid-19 antigen or PCR test that is not more than 1 day old (antigen) or 3 days old (PCR) at time of embarkation.

·         All travelers must have proof of vaccination when going ashore.

·         Face masks are currently mandated for all indoor activities and attractions.

And today I got an updated Travel & Entry Reqirements email and now it’s back up to 3 days for the antigen test! I swear the rules are going to change like 3 more times before I get on the plane Thursday afternoon!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 1:31 PM, Hawaiidan said:

I faced the same dilemma with testing us expiring before the cruise and  super expensive testing in Spain.....    Too many hurdles and running around    So we cancelled the cruise till sanity returns. maybe in 23.

By the way Testing and masks no longer required  for many European countries  and no masks on planes wither or in US terminals  except  LAX....    Spain and Maybe Italy are wound  a bit too thght to enjoy this  year..........  Thank God for Switzerland.

Does that mean you have also canceled the Amsterdam to Barcelona cruise, on which we were sharing a shore excursion?

15 hours ago, Sny said:

Does that mean you have also canceled the Amsterdam to Barcelona cruise, on which we were sharing a shore excursion?

no.....   totally different than Spain....      No tests in netherlands...  and  if needed  quick easy cheap in airport.      Spain is absurd and masks in Italy............!!!!

22 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

no.....   totally different than Spain....      No tests in netherlands...  and  if needed  quick easy cheap in airport.      Spain is absurd and masks in Italy............!!!!

I had to jump in here even though I’m not cruising. We were on a land trip in Spain last month. Filled out Spain travel health form 48 hours prior to arrival. No testing required. Needed negative Covid test for return flight to US. Hotel arranged testing service to come to our room. 50€ pp. Expensive but not absurd. Daughter got test at pharmacy near her hotel for 40€ pp. Both easy  peasy. None of the Covid protocols in Spain were difficult.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Riverroad said:

I had to jump in here even though I’m not cruising. We were on a land trip in Spain last month. Filled out Spain travel health form 48 hours prior to arrival. No testing required. Needed negative Covid test for return flight to US. Hotel arranged testing service to come to our room. 50€ pp. Expensive but not absurd. Daughter got test at pharmacy near her hotel for 40€ pp. Both easy  peasy. None of the Covid protocols in Spain were difficult.

the extra requirements for cruises, and my available time frame and flights is very different.    a PRC/antigen test with fast turn around was 120-150E per person !    Enough is a enough. Plus the added expense of hotel s and living  to hang around or spend  several more days for  getting the test and results  It just all added up too much to  almost $1000.00 cost ( tests hotel, meals, trans etc)

I am going to Switzerland  in 3 weeks and France....    a Land trip  and except for the stupid  US return  no testing no masks in country or for arrival and no forms.....   

My next  visit will be in October and I expect everything to be history by then.    

On 5/26/2022 at 10:47 AM, Hawaiidan said:

I just read in the Washinton Post dated May 23, 2022:

"Spain eased its entry requirements for travelers from outside the European Union over the weekend, allowing Americans who are not fully vaccinated against the coronavirus to enter as long as they present negative test results. Previously, unvaccinated travelers from places such as the United States and Britain could only enter the country if they could prove a recent case of the coronavirus, meaning they had developed natural protections."

"As of Saturday, tourists traveling by air or sea from non-E.U. and associated Schengen Area countries can show either proof of vaccination, a certificate of recovery or a negative test result to enter, according to the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism. Before the change, U.S. tourists had to show either proof of vaccination or documentation of recovery from the disease."

Are you concerned about the test requirements for non vaccinated travelers to Spain?  I don't see where fully vaccinated travelers need a test?  

9 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I just read in the Washinton Post dated May 23, 2022:

"Spain eased its entry requirements for travelers from outside the European Union over the weekend, allowing Americans who are not fully vaccinated against the coronavirus to enter as long as they present negative test results. Previously, unvaccinated travelers from places such as the United States and Britain could only enter the country if they could prove a recent case of the coronavirus, meaning they had developed natural protections."

"As of Saturday, tourists traveling by air or sea from non-E.U. and associated Schengen Area countries can show either proof of vaccination, a certificate of recovery or a negative test result to enter, according to the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism. Before the change, U.S. tourists had to show either proof of vaccination or documentation of recovery from the disease."

Are you concerned about the test requirements for non vaccinated travelers to Spain?  I don't see where fully vaccinated travelers need a test?  

too little  too late...... already pulled the pin...   Thanks however for the up date

• Like 1