HAL Just implemented masks again on Rotterdam

gordylad

CRUISE NEWS - WE HAVE TO WEAR MASKS AGAIN Getting on the Holland America Rotterdam this morning we were handed a letter saying that there were crew and passengers who had tested positive and being isolated. Out of an abundance of caution we now have to wear a mask inside the ship. While I understand it, I don't have to be happy about it...

from Don the you tube guy in Amsterdam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, quack2 said:

Good.  Should be applied to all ships.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but masks do not appear to be making any difference.

Edited by Kamfish642
Hit return key t quick.
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but masks do not appear to be making any difference.

Really?  They got rid of the mask mandate in March.  Cases on ships have gone up since.  I don't think there has been one ship that's been green in the last 1.5 months.  The koningsdam was green for 2 weeks while I was on it and for a while after.  I wonder why doctors, dentists etc wear them.  They must like it since it doesn't work.  For some reason you still have to wear them in certain places in the city where I live.  I guess they didn't get the memo either.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I know alot of people who don't believe in masks, either, and for that matter vaccines.  I guess they figure that masks and vaccines don't work but all I know is that I am alive and well, and some of them aren't.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

From things I have been reading, most people have been picking up the virus while on shore and excursions. Then it is spread on the ship.

That sounds very likely.  However, it is discouraging because this virus appears to be in for a long haul; and if masks are going to be required inside, we will not sail.  Disappointment, disappointment.  It's a long way off, but our 2024 WC booking is becoming increasingly elusive.  Everything has gone down hill since we booked last September.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

That sounds very likely.  However, it is discouraging because this virus appears to be in for a long haul; and if masks are going to be required inside, we will not sail.  Disappointment, disappointment.  It's a long way off, but our 2024 WC booking is becoming increasingly elusive.  Everything has gone down hill since we booked last September.  

I would love dearly to plan a WC, and since we've been sailing with the mask mandates, would go in a heartbeat.  Financially, it's a hunk of money which is an obstacle for us, but boy, what a dream to actually consider it.  I think wearing a mask inside a cruise is no big deal because there are so many opportunities to be outside and without a mask.  Hope you carry on with your plans, just because it sounds like a fabulous opportunity to see the world.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

I know alot of people who don't believe in masks, either, and for that matter vaccines.  I guess they figure that masks and vaccines don't work but all I know is that I am alive and well, and some of them aren't.

Hear hear! Just because some don't believe in it, or don't understand it, doesn't mean they don't work...science doesn't require a person to "believe" in it in order for it to be true.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

I would love dearly to plan a WC, and since we've been sailing with the mask mandates, would go in a heartbeat.  Financially, it's a hunk of money which is an obstacle for us, but boy, what a dream to actually consider it.  I think wearing a mask inside a cruise is no big deal because there are so many opportunities to be outside and without a mask.  Hope you carry on with your plans, just because it sounds like a fabulous opportunity to see the world.

Exactly.  With all the pent up demand I’m sure they could fill the cruise with people that are ok with wearing a mask.  After all they have a bigger ship doing the world cruise now.  They could have used the 2 other smaller ships in the fleet if demand is an issue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Really?  They got rid of the mask mandate in March.  Cases on ships have gone up since.  I don't think there has been one ship that's been green in the last 1.5 months.  The koningsdam was green for 2 weeks while I was on it and for a while after.  I wonder why doctors, dentists etc wear them.  They must like it since it doesn't work.  For some reason you still have to wear them in certain places in the city where I live.  I guess they didn't get the memo either.

Someone needs a lesson in correlation vs causation. 

Numbers are up on ships because numbers are up on land. It's really just that simple. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Exactly.  With all the pent up demand I’m sure they could fill the cruise with people that are ok with wearing a mask.  After all they have a bigger ship doing the world cruise now.  They could have used the 2 other smaller ships in the fleet if demand is an issue.

Pent up demand for cruising does not exist. It's smoke and mirrors put forth by executives. It's really quite simple: If pent up demand for cruising was so strong, CCL would have reported more than 54% occupancy in the Q1 earnings call. There is some revenge travel happening on land vacations, but cruising is taking a major financial beating. Stock prices are dropping so fast that Marchb of 2020 numbers are in site. The transcript:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4497095-carnival-corporation-and-plcs-ccl-ceo-arnold-donald-on-q1-2022-results-earnings-call

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chrissy6299 said:

Do they still leave masks in your room when you board or are they available at guest services?

Masks are in your room when you board. (KN95) And available when requested to your room steward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Someone needs a lesson in correlation vs causation. 

Numbers are up on ships because numbers are up on land. It's really just that simple. 

Ding... ding... ding.. Winner, winner, big chicken dinner! 👆

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, albingirl said:

I'm not surprised.  Uptick everywhere.  Best to take all precautions, whether you are happy or not.

I'm surprised.

I don’t understand what you mean with uptick everywhere, but in the countries the Rotterdam is sailing the numbers are still declining and certainly not rising. almost everywhere in Europe there is no mask mandate on land except sometimes in hospitals. I don’t see the reason why not on the bus/train/cinema/theater/shops/etc on land but on a ship you need a mask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got off the Rotterdam April 10. We were surprised during the previous 2 weeks signs on board stated "masks were recommended."

Those wearing masks inside including on packed elevators were rare. Many who masked up were wearing them below their noses!!

The FLL airport departure lounge April 10 was packed. Not an empty seat at 10am. Every one was masked, most correctly

Bob

• Like 2

Many passengers need to be negative to get home….if you are from a European country you don’t need one..it’s easy to say that masking is not necessary if you don’t have to worry about flying home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

Many passengers need to be negative to get home….it’s easy to say that masking is not necessary if you don’t have to worry about flying home.

That’s why we canceled our Whittier to Vancouver cruise in June and stay in Europe. 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:56 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Pent up demand for cruising does not exist. It's smoke and mirrors put forth by executives. It's really quite simple: If pent up demand for cruising was so strong, CCL would have reported more than 54% occupancy in the Q1 earnings call. There is some revenge travel happening on land vacations, but cruising is taking a major financial beating. Stock prices are dropping so fast that Marchb of 2020 numbers are in site. The transcript:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4497095-carnival-corporation-and-plcs-ccl-ceo-arnold-donald-on-q1-2022-results-earnings-call

Hi, BermudaBound2014,

You are right about the 54% capacity. Now Carnival has all of its back in service less those that are having maintenance done. They have carried over 2,000,000 cruisers since the restart. The quote below is from David Bernstein, CFO.

"Despite all that, during the first quarter, we carried over 1 million guests, which was nearly a 20% increase from the fourth quarter 2021...Once again, our onboard and other revenue per diems were up significantly in the first quarter 2022 versus the first quarter 2019...We ended the first quarter 2022 with $7.2 billion in liquidity versus $9.4 million at the end of the fourth quarter. ..During the first quarter, we increased our booked occupancy position for the second half of 2022, albeit not at the same pace as a typical wave season due to the Omicron variant. "

Jim

On 5/25/2022 at 2:10 AM, HappyInVan said:

Sorry. The cruise companies are advised by the medical and science experts. The return of the mask mandate suggests that masks are very important in the prevention of infection.

The problem aren't the masks. The flaw lies in the mask wearers. Its our personal responsibility to ensue that we use the right masks, and use them correctly. 

Surgeon for 40 years, working with ICU patients through at least 3 respiratory epidemics. The issue is the mask user, not the mask. Just got off an Oceania, heading to a HAL in 2 weeks. Cruised AMA in December and SS in Feb. Have not gotten infected either at work or traveling.  Have a child under contract on a ship. We have been to the crew quarters. Its amazing crews are not infected in mass numbers constantly. The halls are narrow, the facilities are shared, they eat and drink in cramped quarters breathing and talking less than 3 feet away from each other. Our Oceania ship managed to contain the passenger infections to about 10 cabins. We had a great cruise, but remember, when you sit down to have drinks or dinner with new friends on board outside your bubble, that is a major risk. Air exchange is crucial to avoid infection. Eat outside often, and have new friends on the veranda or outside if possible. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6