First time Uniworld cruiser .... looking for any tips or reccomendation

ninaks

Hello, going on the Rhine and Moselle cruise on July 11th on Uniworld.  Looking for any advice anyone can share about this cruise, especially which excursions they really enjoyed.  I realize people have different tastes, but would love to hear from others.  Anything else you think would be helpful for me to know. I have cruised with Viking before, but never Uniworld.  Thank you!

I took this cruise a few years ago.  I don’t think there was a bad excursion but my fondest memory is of cruising along the Moselle.  What a beautiful river!   Service was very good and food was good enough as I recall.

My only advice is to wear a mask more than you think you need to.  My DH caught Covid last month on a river cruise in France and we were very careful.  Test yourself frequently if the ship does not.  These latest variants are prevalent and highly contagious.

Good luck and hope you have a great time.

• Like 4

@ninaks We sailed with Uniworld (River Queen) twice on the Rhine and Moselle and I would agree with @Gourmet Gal . You can't go wrong with any choices. I will warn you about one excursion we took in Cochem that was titled a 'vineyard walk'. It was much closer to a mountain climb and my choice of sandals that day turned out to be a major mistake! 😧The scenery and views were spectacular overlooking the river but I was not properly prepared for the steep and rocky climbs. 

You'll love the Moselle!
Paul

• 1 month later...

Currently traveling on Uniworld enchanting Rhine and Moselle itinerary on the River Queen. Very lovely weather, excursions, food, accommodations, everything. Having a great time. The Moselle is lovely and I encourage everyone to visit!

I will try to post the available excursions for this itinerary. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I am really having a good time, and the food has been really great after a mediocre start to the embarkation luncheon. Luncheons in general tend to be Buffet style, self-serve with chafing dishes. I think it helps to arrive as soon as the food is available, generally at noon. Dinner is ordered on a menu. As I said, the food has been excellent after the first embarkation luncheon which was acceptable quality. Service has been excellent, and we are sailing with 77 passengers out of the capacity of 128.

4B65CF2A-8311-4B65-941B-2551083A4C6E.jpeg

19585F33-F576-4606-8449-898E465B2FDF.jpeg

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Currently traveling on Uniworld enchanting Rhine and Moselle itinerary on the River Queen. Very lovely weather, excursions, food, accommodations, everything. Having a great time. The Moselle is lovely and I encourage everyone to visit!

We sailed the Moselle twice on the R.Q. and I agree completely with your impressions. Ours were wonderful experiences. Enjoy!!!

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Just look at those crenellations!

And according to Wikipedia Herr von Lassaulx (a famous architect in the Rhine valley) rebuilt the castle "in keeping with" the old parts still standing at the 19th century, so some of the Medieval original is still standing today which I assume makes the crenellations real old. I have actually never been up there, so getting just a little envious.

13 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

YES! Am V excited!

I fully understand 🙂 . That castle is not a standard visit on river cruises. Enjoy!

notamermaid