I hate to be that poster, but HELP....Passport issue

OwenMeany

So, my family is taking my Mom on an Alaska tour/cruise for her 90th Birthday. Our tour begins July 4 and the Cruise on July 8th....end of trip is July 16th 

As most of you are sure to know, depending on where you are traveling , certain countries may be required to have a passport with at least (6) months remaining before it expires. TODAY (May 24th) we learned that my Mom's passport will expire in August 2022.

According to the Canadian government's website, Canada "does not enforce the 6 months rule" and the Royal Caribbean website reads they "strongly recommend" a passport with at least 6 months left. There is no indication on the RC website such is mandatory. It is very unlikely we will be able to get Mom a renewed passport in this amount of time.

Out of an abundance of causation, we called RC and they said that she will not be allowed on the ship. At the same time, post pandemic, RC has been a mish-mash of competence and an absolute struggle to deal with....

We are in a panic.  I, on the one hand, think we should rely on the websites for the above stated rules and not be too concerned as anyone in our situation could reasonable rely on the rules and not be concerned. On the other hand, because we called RC we are now in panic mode

Comments? Similar circumstances? Help? 

try filling the ariive can application. it may flag you as an issue there ? It is risky either way. I would pay the rush fee to try to get the new passeport. Would hate it if Mom was not allowed to board 

• Like 1

We embark on Anchorage Alaska on July 8th

Disembark on July 15tn in Vancouver, CA

Is a "one-way" from Anchorage to Vancouver

CGinMTL -- What does "try filling the ariive can application" mean? 

Thank you! .

12 minutes ago, OwenMeany said:

We embark on Anchorage Alaska on July 8th

Disembark on July 15tn in Vancouver, CA

Is a "one-way" from Anchorage to Vancouver

CGinMTL -- What does "try filling the ariive can application" mean? 

Thank you! .

Everyone entering Canada needs to fill out the ArriveCAN app. You input passport and vaccination status for Canada. There are threads detailing the app elsewhere that are more detailed.

I'd call RCCL again and see if you get the same answer. If yes- I'd get the passport renewed. Just one less thing to be worried about on your way out. LA should be easy- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

There is an office in LA. Here in Denver we have one and I got my renewal in 2 days. I went into the office to apply, and to pick it up.Yes it cost extra but it was worth every penny. 

Edited by 5waldos

Getting a new passport is the safest way as many have noted. However, here's another perspective. I would rely on the website and I would print it out and bring it with you.

I am in a similar situation in that my Alaska cruise departs on June 29th and my kids' passports expire in November 2022 which is slightly less than six months away. The other difference in our situations is that we are on a Princess cruise but passports are a destination/immigration issue and the policies should apply to all travelers regardless of cruise line.

According to the Princess website, an Alaska cruise is considered a "domestic itinerary" for American and Canadian passport holders. It also states, "US and Canadian passport holders sailing on a domestic cruise should ensure passports or other travel documents are valid through the completion of travel." https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

Since your mom's passport is valid through the end of the cruise, in my opinion, she doesn't need a new passport for your cruise.

Here's another way to check...Does the Royal Caribbean app have a pre-board function? Another way to check and see if RC would accept your mom's passport is to enter her passport information in the app. If the app accepts it, her passport will work for your trip/cruise.

Good luck and happy cruising!

Thank you all! While we are on the west coast and mom is on the east coast getting a new passport was scary prospect. However, with all these comments in mind - we are going for the new passport...

Thank you and wish us luck! 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, 5waldos said:

I'd call RCCL again and see if you get the same answer. If yes- I'd get the passport renewed. Just one less thing to be worried about on your way out. LA should be easy- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

There is an office in LA. Here in Denver we have one and I got my renewal in 2 days. I went into the office to apply, and to pick it up.Yes it cost extra but it was worth every penny. 

I have a co-worker who waited too long to get her's renewed and she was going to France.  She went to Atlanta and was able to get it the same day.  It took most of the day but she got it and is in France now.  Good luck!

You wll be absolutely fine, no need for an expedited passport. The person at RC has no idea what they are taling about. We cruise in 2 weeks with kids that have passports expiring in the fall. No need to worry. 

14 hours ago, maui07 said:

You wll be absolutely fine, no need for an expedited passport. The person at RC has no idea what they are taling about. We cruise in 2 weeks with kids that have passports expiring in the fall. No need to worry. 

The problem with calling in to ask questions like this is that the person answering may not REALLY know the answer and thus relies on the standard conservative stock response.  I would call RC again and if you still get the same answer, ask to speak with a supervisor, who is more likely to know.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:12 AM, OwenMeany said:

Thank you all! While we are on the west coast and mom is on the east coast getting a new passport was scary prospect. However, with all these comments in mind - we are going for the new passport...

Thank you and wish us luck! 

Excellent move - you have an expensive cruise vacation planned and you don't want to be

caught off guard - denied boarding - entry into Canada because of someone's bad

advice misinformation presumption assumption off hand answer. Just the facts Please !

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:12 AM, OwenMeany said:

we are going for the new passport...

It's really not that bad and various post office locations can do everything except print the paperwork. 

If your mom can not print then print the documents, mail it with tracking, and then she can have the documents (you can even fill out much of it for her). 

Biggest challenge is simply possibly getting her to the post office itself. 

Another option is same day passports that can only be done right before travel. This could be done when you are with her then possibly. Issue is you can't schedule these until last second either and it's really not meant to be the normal way to get one. 

Edited by J0Y0US

On 5/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, OwenMeany said:

my Mom's passport will expire in August 2022.

There's no reason to renew the passport before the trip as it will be valid for the duration of the cruise.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, OwenMeany said:

Royal Caribbean website reads they "strongly recommend" a passport with at least 6 months left. There is no indication on the RC website such is mandatory. It is very unlikely we will be able to get Mom a renewed passport in this amount of time.

Un-panic.  Canada won't require it and there's a near zero chance your mom is going to overstay her tourist entry into Canada on a six hour port call..... that's where the six months validity rule comes into play for land and air ports of entry. 

@Ferry Watcher can probably confirm this, but if a check in agent were to hesitate, a supervisor would clear her for boarding as long as its valid for the duration of the cruise.

Edited by Lane Hog