Celebrity Cruises Sued, Allegedly Gave Passenger HIV-Infected Transfusion

patty1955

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

It's TMZ.  That tells you everything you need to know about the story's credibility.  That the Daily Mail picked up the story from TMZ and published it, tells you all you need to know about them as a source, too.

This is a whole lot of nothing!

TMZ has some pretty good sources though most of these are related to Hollywood stuff. Nevertheless I'd trust TMZ more than I trust CNN at this point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

TMZ has some pretty good sources though most of these are related to Hollywood stuff. Nevertheless I'd trust TMZ more than I trust CNN at this point.

or other "news" sources!

The protocols I posted talk about rapid screening for HIV and Hepatitis as well as verifying blood types. Really interesting info about the process, consents, rationale etc.

also do a google search of blood transfusions on a cruise ship and this story is the first few pages...it is real

Edited by H2OH!
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, amevola said:

Can the donor just be tested to see if the virus is present? 

If the donor has it and did not know, two lives were saved.

If not in the protocol now, it will be! 

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Using TMZ or Daily Mail as a news source?  

SMH!

Let me know when it hits a source like CNN.  It would lend more credence to this story.

Just google it....the story is on all mainstream media outlets...CNN- SMH

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, H2OH! said:

If not in the protocol now, it will be! 

Sorry, I meant "now" as in the donor should be tested to help Celebrity avoid the lawsuit.  If the donor doesn't have HIV,  the patient picked it up somewhere else. 

A rectal hemorrhage is extremely dangerous and has to be treated immediately.  Celebrity would have been negligent not to treat the patient.  It also takes about eight hours to test blood for HIV.  There would not have been the time for testing.  The woman's life was saved by the transfusion.

Personally, I do not think anyone with HIV would step forward to donate tainted blood,  If the donor has HIV and did not know it, that person's life was saved. too.

• Like 2

This article is about a complaint filed in federal court - none of this has been proven yet. It’s all the allegations of the woman. It still has to go through the court system which will take months, if not years. (And if it ends in a settlement, which happens in a lot of cases, we may never know what truly happened.)

I’m not sure why it matters the source at this point. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Using TMZ or Daily Mail as a news source?  

SMH!

Let me know when it hits a source like CNN.  It would lend more credence to this story.

What is it that you are disputing?

1. That the woman received a blood transfusion on a Celebrity ship last year?  (More than one poster above confirms this happened)

2. That she now has HIV?   

3.  That she has filed a lawsuit against Celebrity alleging that she contracted HIV from that blood transfusion?

Are you saying TMZ is making all of that up?   There's a big difference between reporting that something has happened (the woman filed a lawsuit making certain allegations), and the woman  proving her case.   The latter has nothing to with TMZ. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, amevola said:

Sorry, I meant "now" as in the donor should be tested to help Celebrity avoid the lawsuit.  If the donor doesn't have HIV,  the patient picked it up somewhere else. 

A rectal hemorrhage is extremely dangerous and has to be treated immediately.  Celebrity would have been negligent not to treat the patient.  It also takes about eight hours to test blood for HIV.  There would not have been the time for testing.  The woman's life was saved by the transfusion.

Personally, I do not think anyone with HIV would step forward to donate tainted blood,  If the donor has HIV and did not know it, that person's life was saved. too.

1) It is another rapid test-   see CDC website. Test is ready in 20. minutes. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/hiv-testing/hiv-self-tests.html

2) The PDF protocol from a few years ago says it only screens donors for HIV so I assume they did not test her, the patient thus my comment that if its not in the protocol now, it will be.

Also- I' m an advanced practice nurse and keep on top of the different testing modalities. 8 hours  does not apply to rapid tests. 

Problem is it could take months to detect someone newly infected. 

Edited by H2OH!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Please read the comments above as to what ships can and cannot do, including the fact that they can transfuse blood. And be sure to read comment 16, by a passenger who was on the ship. 

Just because a passenger stated this, doesn’t mean I should believe it

• Like 1

Just now, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Just because a passenger stated this, doesn’t mean I should believe it

Two different passengers on the ship reported above that the Captain asked for blood donors. I guess they are just lying here. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have also been on board when the captain has asked for passengers to donate blood. They always ask that the donors present their current donor card to verify their blood group. Donors are checked regularly for infections, so most people would be aware of their HIV, hepatitis etc status

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, amcco said:

Thank you for posting this.

Folks, the link above will take you to the papers filed in this court case and, most important, to the Complaint itself, which confirms the accuracy of the TMZ story reporting on the filing of this lawsuit.  For ease, here's a link to the Complaint:

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/Florida_Southern_District_Court/1--22-cv-21605/Waters_v._Celebrity_Cruises_Inc/1/

Whether the woman prevails in this suit or not, it was filed and it alleges what TMZ reported was alleged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 2:44 AM, gold1953 said:

If you are bleeding to death you cannot wait for evacuation. Also Celebrity does on occasion request blood donations from cruisers for transfusions.

We've heard requests on the PA on several cruises ... passengers with blood donor cards only.  And yes, waivers are signed as if you are depleted of blood long enough, I'm sure they would most assuredly do the transfusion on site.  

• Thanks 1

It will be an interesting lawsuit. The cruiselines procedures, the sick passengers medical history...how did she know she wasnt already hiv positive for example, The donor will obviously get to know as their health history will be under scrutiny.

I also feel for the donor who could face a double blow of finding out they have HIV and that they have passed it on to another person....they were trying to save a life!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony UK said:

It will be an interesting lawsuit. The cruiselines procedures, the sick passengers medical history...how did she know she wasnt already hiv positive for example, The donor will obviously get to know as their health history will be under scrutiny.

I also feel for the donor who could face a double blow of finding out they have HIV and that they have passed it on to another person....they were trying to save a life!

Indeed. She couldn’t have known her HIV status unless she’d tested negative for HIV, or donated blood, shortly before boarding. I’ve never been tested for HIV, but my blood donations have been screened for HIV. The Red Cross notifies donors whose blood is positive for HIV, hepatitis etc. If her donors are frequent Red Cross donors, their blood may have been screened recently. I can’t believe anyone would donate blood if they thought there was any risk of infecting another person with an incurable disease. 

• Like 2

I can't imagine that anyone would willingly donate blood (even if it is a very rare type) that is infected. I also can't imagine what it would feel like to suddenly find out that you not only have the disease, but now know that you've passed along such a terrible disease. The donor had to have just recently been exposed as symptoms appear within 8 weeks of being infected.

The case will be interesting to follow. The recipient will have to prove intent or negligence to prevail. I'm not sure if "Good Samaritan" laws would apply to the  donors.....since I just can't fathom someone would donate with a known diagnosis. My inclination is that Celebrity will settle just to get beyond the litigation without admitting any wrong doing. That would be the "cheapest" way out.

Sad on all counts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

The case will be interesting to follow. The recipient will have to prove intent or negligence to prevail. I'm not sure if "Good Samaritan" laws would apply to the  donors.....since I just can't fathom someone would donate with a known diagnosis. My inclination is that Celebrity will settle just to get beyond the litigation without admitting any wrong doing. That would be the "cheapest" way out.

Sad on all counts.

I agree that it’s a very sad case. Regardless of whether the case is settled or continues to judgment, I hope the donors have been notified and tested. 

11 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

The suit was filed in federal court.  The court will sanction an attorney for purely frivolous litigation.    This is clearly not frivolous.  Whether it can be proved is another question, but there are enough facts to establish that the case is not frivolous.

Agreed.  I've read the Complaint, and it is clearly not a frivolous lawsuit.

I found the following allegation of wrongdoing in the Complaint to be very interesting: "Failing to prioritize and use blood from Plaintiff’s brother, who volunteered to donate on the subject vessel and has a matching blood type."   

It certainly would be interesting to know what protocols, if any, Celebrity has for deciding what volunteer blood donor to accept on a ship and how the ship's medical team makes the decision if they have more than one volunteer.  

• Like 2